ADVERTISEMENT

Football BIG TEN CONFERENCE ANNOUNCES GROUNDBREAKING MEDIA RIGHTS AGREEMENTS

Disappointing. We were hearing $1B a year BEFORE USC/UCLA. And we are paying them full share right off the bat??

Agree with your comments.

Some people claiming that the B1G's next move is to get maybe 2 to 4 additional West Coast schools. One thing I think is certain is that USC and UCLA definitely want more West Coast Schools because they don't want to be Island Schools in the B1G. Problem is with each new addition you have to get someone willing to pay for the additions. This agreement including USC and UCLA was not the slam dunk as far as money as many people assumed. Getting additional money for the 4 other future additions will be even more problematic.

The other quote in the article mentions a note of additional risk/uncertainty.

"Still breaking up with the broadcast outlet (ESPN/ABC) that shows more college sports than any other comes with inherent risks in terms of visibility".

Still congrats on the new contract.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I'm usually Mr. sunshine, but this seems low?

Weren't we talking about $1 to 1.1 Billion/year before the addition of UCLA and USC, which would have been $71 million/school (14 schools). How did the value not go up with the addition of UCLA and USC???
What The Wtf GIF by Justin
100M seems low? lol what?

Here you go, another quote with regards to expansion and other partners in the future.

Future disruption is possible, too. The Big Ten may still explore specialty packages with partners such as Amazon, Apple or Turner, perhaps tied to specific one-off events. If the Big Ten were to expand its conference membership beyond just USC and UCLA, it could open the door to add another media package. The potential addition of more West Coast schools such as Stanford/Cal and Oregon/Washington would also supply the conference with the inventory to sell in a late-night Saturday package, a league source pointed out.

Paywall article:

Some people claiming that the B1G's next move is to get maybe 2 to 4 additional West Coast schools. One thing I think is certain is that USC and UCLA definitely want more West Coast Schools because they don't want to be Island Schools in the B1G. Problem is with each new addition you have to get someone willing to pay for the additions. This agreement including USC and UCLA was not the slam dunk as far as money as many people assumed. Getting additional money for the 4 other future additions will be even more problematic.

"Still breaking up with the broadcast outlet (ESPN/ABC) that shows more college sports than any other comes with inherent risks in terms of visibility".

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I can't tell you how much additional schools would get but there are provisions for additions. The contract could go up to 10B for additions. I'd guess that number would vary depending on which additions but there is some account for it. It's in the McMurphy article.

Worth noting that BTN will still control >100 basketball games and 50 football games.

And those can be sold to ESPN if ESPN wants to buy a basketball package or something else.
Yup that was mentioned in the SI article. ESPN could still sublicense games, specifically basketball.

Reactions: zeek55
Rutgers is looking more and more as the #1 ranked addition in conference realignment.

Considering the increase in media revenue we contributed plus the $$ we were forced to pay for a BTN share (that went towards the other members).

Looking like no other school added as much $$& as we did to a new conference.

Where have you seen 100m/team/year for a 16 team Big Ten?

Including CFP and NCAA tournment shares don’t count - we were getting that money with or without USC/UCLA.
USC/UCLA expanded the pot more than their shares. Money would've been a bit lower per school without them.

A lot of the estimates were exaggerated. Big Ten's old deal was only 6 years ago, it wasn't that heavily undermarket like the ACC debacle.

Each school will likely see an extra $5-10 million per year as a result of their additions.

Like in 2028 you go from distributions around $80 million to closer to $90 million with them.

Not crazy or anything but that's because the Big Ten already has such terrific viewership, fan bases, and markets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
Where have you seen 100m/team/year for a 16 team Big Ten?

Including CFP and NCAA tournment shares don’t count - we were getting that money with or without USC/UCLA.
ESPN has the below.

"The Big Ten is projected to eventually distribute $80 million to $100 million per year to each of its 16 members. According to USA Today, the league distributed $54.3 million to most of its members during the most recent fiscal year (2019-20) not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic."

USC/UCLA expanded the pot more than their shares. Money would've been a bit lower per school without them.

A lot of the estimates were exaggerated. Big Ten's old deal was only 6 years ago, it wasn't that heavily undermarket like the ACC debacle.

Each school will likely see an extra $5-10 million per year as a result of their additions.

Like in 2028 you go from distributions around $80 million to closer to $90 million with them.

Not crazy or anything but that's because the Big Ten already has such terrific viewership, fan bases, and markets.
USC/UCLA didn't add to the pot. It was at a billion before they even begged to get in.

USC/UCLA didn't add to the pot. It was at a billion before they even begged to get in.
Those two were worth $200 million per year to the Pac-12.

Probably worth closer to $250 million to the Big Ten (more synergy/$ from "national" games).

That's more than what they'll take by a fair bit.

The pre-expansion estimates were a bit exaggerated.

Big Ten was looking at around $6.5-7 billion over 7 years before the expansion. Instead we're going to get closer to $8 billion.

And then BTN will get 5-7 million subs paying $1+ instead of 10 cents, which adds another $500 million over 7 years.

So yeah do the math and it comes out to around $1.7-1.8 billion for USC/UCLA over 7 years.

Of course that's just very rough estimates, but no way would this expansion have happened if the two were dilutive.

The offers before expansion were less per team than the offers after, that's all that matters.

Looks like every BIG school will be in the $60MM range for two years not including auxiliary income from bowl games, selling of game packages to ESPN/Apple/Amazon, etc and then with USC & UCLA in two years bumps up again into the $80MM range and then further expansion to the $100MM JUST in media rights.

Looks like a great deal to me.

GO RU

Reactions: Knight Shift
Show your work to get to $100M?

$7.5 billion over 7 years is $1.07 Billion/year divided by 16 teams, comes to $66.9 million per year per team?
Your math is a little off as the new TV contracts begin in 2023 but the western schools don't join until 2024 as they only share in the revenue for 6 years. However, the contract may be back loaded to pay more in the later years. This is an unknown.

Idk I read it here

Got it. Bad on me, and it escalates. I'm afraid of escalators:

"In 2023-24, the league’s schools will receive the same conference distribution as they did in 2022-23 (nearly $60 million per school). The league’s payouts will increase slightly in Year 2 (2024-25) before drastically increasing the final five years of the deal from 2025-30, growing to about $100 million per school, including revenue from the College Football Playoff, bowl games and the NCAA Basketball Tournament."

Warren hit a grand slam here.

Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Show your work to get to $100M?

$7.5 billion over 7 years is $1.07 Billion/year divided by 16 teams, comes to $66.9 million per year per team?
Reports are all over from 7-8B+ but I think it's likely closer to 8. If as reported that NBC, CBS are each paying in the vicinity of 350M it wouldn't make sense that Fox is only paying a slight premium over those 2 considering all the added benefits and inventory they have. If the number is closer to 8 then Fox would be paying 100M+ more for their package which would make more sense.

I was skeptical about Cal and still kind of am but if that's the case then there should be no pushback from the UC regents.

EDIT: You know thinking about it. I think it could be 2 from the west for now if ND doesn't come but could've been 3-4 if ND did come along.
Not only would there be no pushback, but the UC Regents would love it -having Cal in the Big Ten would solve real problems for the Regents.

Please understand -- there's no reason Easterners would know this -- the UC Board of Regents runs the whole of the University of California, including both Cal and UCLA. The Regents held a meeting yesterday. They are concerned that the Big Ten deal is great for UCLA -- but bad for Cal because it would remain in the Pac-10, a conference that will have much less revenue without UCLA/USC. One regent said "all options are on the table," including trying to kill the UCLA/Big Ten deal. Getting Cal into the Big Ten would solve the revenue problem and make the Regents happy.

There is one additional problem. The Regents don't like the idea that there would be so much travel for UCLA athletes (including in non-revenue sports). The more Pacific Coast teams are in the Big Ten, the less this will be an issue --so this is another reason to get Cal in.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Does anyone know roughly what percent of the value of these contracts is generated by each sport? I know football is the biggest driver, followed by men's hoops, and then everything else a distant third. But is there actual data or a source to cite?

IMO Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal are the next candidates for expansion. If ND comes along it could be 3-4 of them, if ND stays indy it could be 2 of them. I suppose they could take all 4 without ND but I’d put that as low probability.

Does anyone know roughly what percent of the value of these contracts is generated by each sport? I know football is the biggest driver, followed by men's hoops, and then everything else a distant third. But is there actual data or a source to cite?
Data source no but quotes from industry people in articles I’ve read usually have football as 80% or more of the value.

I see the appeal for Cal and for UCLA for Cal to join, but don’t see the appeal from the rest of us? What does Cal bring? Horrible neighborhood no fun place to visit in Oakland, football and basketball are terrible. Most of their sports are bad, not like UCLA which brings a lot of winning Olympic sports. Other than academics, Cal adds nothing to me. “San Fran market” nope, their alumni aren’t locals the way RU alumni make up a lot of the NYC market. We were a much better add than Cal would be. Bring in Colorado instead

Reactions: rubigtimenow

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Part of the reason ESPN was a force is that they had national coverage with the rights to part of the B12, B1G and Pac 12 contracts.

- They are so focused on the southeast with the ACC and SEC that they will try to remain the same kind of force, but their power will diminish.

-the new B12 must love how the B1G deals worked out. ESPN has no choice but to try to get at least part of that B12 deal.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Your math is a little off as the new TV contracts begin in 2023 but the western schools don't join until 2024 as they only share in the revenue for 6 years. However, the contract may be back loaded to pay more in the later years. This is an unknown.
Yeah, but it's a ton of money and is only going to get bigger in future years.

I'm seeing all kinds of figures but the one I'm seeing mostly is around $100 to 103 million per team in either 2023 or 2024 (?) when the new montrous TV deal, the BTN, Bowl games and the CFP are added up.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Now that the B10 officially has other media partners involved it seems like there’s more openness for playoff expansion again before the current contract expires.

Also some other news.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT