ADVERTISEMENT

Football BIG TEN CONFERENCE ANNOUNCES GROUNDBREAKING MEDIA RIGHTS AGREEMENTS

Agreed, but BIG will have another chance to negotiate and in turn may tie the hands of the other two leagues in terms of how high bidders can go.
Well I think premium content will always get money and the SEC is that but as far as whomever is in the tier below I think you're right. It could limit available viewing windows for the SEC though.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Some excerpts from an Athletic article: (paywall)

Delany believed changes in technology would cause live sports to only increase in value over time, so he bet on the possibility that the Big Ten’s best games would be worth even more. And then he made sure the league would be able to sell them again before the SEC, Pac-12 and Big 12 deals expired.

How much money are we talking about? In February, the SEC announced an annual revenue distribution of about $55 million per school. This year, Iowa received $57 million from the Big Ten. Those figures include television revenue, bowl revenue, College Football Playoff revenue and NCAA men’s basketball tournament revenue, and both figures will only rise thanks to new TV deals.

In May, Florida football coach Billy Napier said SEC projections shown to schools suggest the payout per school will increase to somewhere between the high $60 millions and the low $70 millions when the league’s new $300 million-a-year deal with Disney for the games CBS was broadcasting kicks in. Big Ten revenue distributions will top those numbers once these new deals begin next year. The gap between the Big Ten and SEC won’t be as wide as it is between the SEC and whichever league winds up No. 3, but it should be larger than it was before.

For 2034, the SEC can put its entire rights package on the market.

That deal likely will reset the market, but that is a long time from now. How long? Because the Big Ten did seven-year deals with Fox, CBS and NBC, it will have sold its rights again before the SEC gets another crack.

The Big 10 also has a much bigger population base and wealth compared to the SEC. There's not a whole lot the SEC can ever do to change the demographic imbalance between the two conferences. My thought is they take a run (at some point) to North Carolina and Virginia - two large and (relatively) wealthy states that could significantly expand the SEC's overall market. I think demographics ultimately tops on-field prowess, as seen by the value of the comparative TV deals.

Sure if you could just grab whomever those are great catches and no harm in trying but realistically probably wouldn't happen. Texas/ND and the B10 would be way out in front but it's not likely...at least not the Texas part. The option was there for them if they wanted but they still chose the SEC.
I don't disagree on probability but never hurts to try.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
In the end I still think Cal has a good shot to get in with Stanford. One of the problems that BIG wants to address is travel partners/lineups. Cal and Stanford give two locally and in very close proximity to LA to give non-revenue sports a big breather.
I think Cal is down the priority list but you can't rule them out because they have been mentioned in the media so who knows

Sorry - my bad. I misread a Google link. Clemson is still pretty good academically.
I can honestly say I dn't think I've ever heard anyone say that. Maybe it's changed in a few yrs and if so mea culpa but I think they're in the fsu category where they keep failing the kid responsible for ice for the team's water bucket cause he's the only one that knows how to make it lol

I'm in agreement. This new deal will not get Rutgers out of debt for at least two years probably more. USC/UCLA really didn't bring what we thought they would and they'll be getting a full share while Rutgers is still paying back loans on their buy in.
Not going to speak to the debt part but as far the 1B part we can't assume that was before USC/UCLA. It could've been the media/public only got half the story. 1B might have been accurate and it may have seemed like it was for 14 teams but behind the scenes the membership might have been fluid and it could have been for 16 teams (with UCLA/USC). The media/public just didn't know that until later. Same could be said for the 1.5B figure thrown out. I wonder if that might not have been if ND and maybe others were included as well but again not public.

The fact that escalators up to 10B exist for additional members makes me believe that might have been the case. The numbers might have been accurate but the composition of the conference they were related to was fluid.

I see the appeal for Cal and for UCLA for Cal to join, but don’t see the appeal from the rest of us? What does Cal bring? Horrible neighborhood no fun place to visit in Oakland, football and basketball are terrible. Most of their sports are bad, not like UCLA which brings a lot of winning Olympic sports. Other than academics, Cal adds nothing to me. “San Fran market” nope, their alumni aren’t locals the way RU alumni make up a lot of the NYC market. We were a much better add than Cal would be. Bring in Colorado instead
Colorado?... Is their media market worth it?

The Big 10 also has a much bigger population base and wealth compared to the SEC. There's not a whole lot the SEC can ever do to change the demographic imbalance between the two conferences. My thought is they take a run (at some point) to North Carolina and Virginia - two large and (relatively) wealthy states that could significantly expand the SEC's overall market. I think demographics ultimately tops on-field prowess, as seen by the value of the comparative TV deals.

I would like to see the Big Ten add ND, UNC, Washington and one more in the next stage. Oregon, Stanford, Virginia..?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I would like to see the Big Ten add ND, UNC, Washington and one more in the next stage. Oregon, Stanford, Virginia..?
People keep bringing up UNC. Why? First they are a basketball school. Second they aren't like USC and UCLA who hated the PAC12 leadership (as well as their own leadership) UNC is the boss of the ACC. Plus they won't leave without Duke and Duke brings $0 to any conference.

Reactions: suggakane
So you are saying the Big Ten alone was worth only worth $800 million when everyone was quoting $1B. Please provide those quotes to all of us.
I'm not saying that, just that the number was a bit exaggerated. Big Ten likely would have averaged near $1bn without USC/UCLA.

Instead we'll average $1.2bn with them.

I'm not saying that, just that the number was a bit exaggerated. Big Ten likely would have averaged near $1bn without USC/UCLA.

Instead we'll average $1.2bn with them.
No you said exactly that. Taking off your numbers it gets it to $800mill or less. Where did your $200mill number? Never saw that anywhere. Your numbers are grossly exaggerated. Again please post where you are getting these numbers

Holy Cow. Didn't realize how strong this new money is until I picked this up online:

Annual national media revenue, per reports of deals:
NFL: $10B per year
EPL: $4.2B per year
NBA: $2.6B per year
MLB: $1.96B per year
BIG TEN: $1.07B per year
NHL: $625M per year
SEC: $588M per year

This conference absolutely dwarfs SEC money going forward

Holy Cow. Didn't realize how strong this new money is until I picked this up online:

Yup saw that online and in front of other things like PGA, Nascar, MLS, etc..essentially it’s the pro leagues in front.

Need to expand and become more national and touch all corners of the country and then I think you can push further up. ND and into Florida are the next biggest drivers imo. Texas would be great but I don’t see that as realistic. For the time being, round out the west.

Another tweet I posted touched on this but this is slightly more detailed. Sounds like the networks will help the B10 create scheduling in October for the next year.

Over the Bay Area? Not even close.
Agree. While others may not like the area (I am a huge fan of the area), I do attend games and events in the area and have a great time going out before and after games. Berkeley / Oakland / San Fran may not be for everyone, but neither are many so called "college towns" that I've been to (other than drinking there ain't anything else worth doing at many of them). Seattle (UW Huskies) also is quite fun. That said, Boulder is nice, but its not Denver.

As for market, there are a ton of Cal grads throughout the Bay Area and in California in general.

Last edited:
I often like listening to podcasts/vids from some reporters. Some good discussion if you like that kind of stuff. This is an Andy Staples Nicole Auerbach discussion.

Reactions: mosito
Mentioned this possibility before and the move to at least 10 conference games, especially as the B10 expands further.

From the article:

Will the Big Ten play 10 conference games?

Smith said the conference also has to decide whether to add another conference game. He said at least a couple of athletic directors are in favor of playing 10 conference games instead of nine.

“That’s always been talked about," he said. "We haven’t made that decision.”

Reactions: Knight Shift
Where are the Warren critics now?
*Waves Hand*

This deal is significantly less than even the lowest estimates that were predicted for the last six months (by basically every single person in sports media). I also hate that the games are on twenty different networks (and streaming, which means people over 60 will have a 0.0% chance of just finding the games on their own), but that's less concerning than the $ amount.

*Waves Hand*

This deal is significantly less than even the lowest estimates that were predicted for the last six months (by basically every single person in sports media). I also hate that the games are on twenty different networks (and streaming, which means people over 60 will have a 0.0% chance of just finding the games on their own), but that's less concerning than the $ amount.
Who are basically clueless to the intricacies of the bidding and deals.
Haters are gonna hate.
Warren his multiple grand slams.
Nobody predicted $100/team in 2025-30. Nobody. It is way over what was predicted by anyone.

Yup saw that online and in front of other things like PGA, Nascar, MLS, etc..essentially it’s the pro leagues in front.

Need to expand and become more national and touch all corners of the country and then I think you can push further up. ND and into Florida are the next biggest drivers imo. Texas would be great but I don’t see that as realistic. For the time being, round out the west.
But the pro sports will always be on top. All we can do is compare apples to apples (college) and with that the B1G is way on top - especially on Fall afternoons

*Waves Hand*

And don’t forget that USC and UCLA initiated the expansion…but I guess he could have vetoed it…so there’s that.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName

And people will still complain about "NIL makes for an uneven playing field" while completing ignoring media money the Big Ten makes compared to the other 10 conferences.

Will we be making more per year than every other conferences combined?

And don’t forget that USC and UCLA initiated the expansion…but I guess he could have vetoed it…so there’s that.
Did you guys miss this post by @rutgersguy1

"The Big Ten is projected to eventually distribute $80 million to $100 million per year to each of its 16 members. According to USA Today, the league distributed $54.3 million to most of its members during the most recent fiscal year (2019-20) not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic."
-----------

And to our resident Warren haters:

"Warren said his time as an NFL executive -- he worked in the Rams, Lions and Vikings organizations for a total of 21 years -- shaped his vision for the Big Ten's deal. He saw how the league assigned content to different media partners in specific windows, such as Monday Night Football (ESPN) and "Sunday Night Football" (NBC).

"I just believe that competition from a business standpoint makes everyone better," Warren said. "It makes the Big Ten better. It will make Fox and CBS and NBC and FS1 and Big Ten Network better.""

But the pro sports will always be on top. All we can do is compare apples to apples (college) and with that the B1G is way on top - especially on Fall afternoons

I heard someone (Danny Kanell?) recently float the idea of the Big Ten and SEC combining media rights in the future - instead of competing.

Then each individual conference doesn't need to deal with logistics of such a large conference (32 teams) but still have the scale of games - similar to the NFL.

Would the sum be greater than the parts?

*Waves Hand*

What estimate? B1G had a number they wanted and got it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Reactions: AdventureHasAName
I heard someone (Danny Kanell?) recently float the idea of the Big Ten and SEC combining media rights in the future - instead of competing.

Then each individual conference doesn't need to deal with logistics of such a large conference (32 teams) but still have the scale of games - similar to the NFL.

IMO, no.

B1G has the largest media markets locked up (1-4 are Biggest), minus Texas and Florida. Why dilute it?

1. NY-(B1G)
2. LA (B1G)
3. Chicago (B1G)
4. Philadelphia (B1G)
5. Dallas-FW (SEC)
6. San Fran-Oakland-San Jose (neither)
7. Atlanta (SEC)
8. Houston (SEC)
9. Washington DC (B1G)
10. Boston (neither)
13. Tampa- St. Pete (SEC)
14. Minneapolis (B1G)
15. Detroit (B1G)
17. Orlando (SEC)
18. Miami (SEC)
19. Cleveland (B1G)

I'm not sure why they'd do this. Big is in a position to really drive cf and come out as the lone top dog. This deal, the marketing of the teams, the money is 2nd to none. There isn't going to be money left over for an sec deal and if this works the way Warren believes it will, Amazon etc may want to jump in for licensing etc.

ESPN really fked up here

Who are basically clueless to the intricacies of the bidding and deals.
Haters are gonna hate.
Warren his multiple grand slams.
Nobody predicted $100/team in 2025-30. Nobody. It is way over what was predicted by anyone.

The day USC and UCLA was announced, $1.4 billion was the floor for estimates on this message board.

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT