ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten in the US News rankings.

Knight177lb

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2014
"wonder why The Star Liar doesn't have an article about this."
thankfully they aren't interested in anything that puts RU in a positive light.
If they did cover it headline would be:
Of 5O state's college rankings: Rutgers comes in #55

Those are fairly old, fwiw. The new rankings come out (I believe) just after the start of the academic year, in September. Hopefully RU can crack the Top 50, which would be great. But yes, the B1G did exceptionally well as a whole, and the incoming additions will only help.

I've seen several articles come out about the Big Ten in the latest US News rankings. This one is from Nebraska. In any case, 13 out of 14 schools are ranked in the top 100. More than any other conference other than the Ivy League. Rutgers comes in at #55.

I wonder why The Star Liar doesn't have an article about this.

https://cornhuskerswire.usatoday.co...-ranked-academically-by-u-s-news-for-2022-23/
Because the big ten has nothing to do with academics . It’s an athletic alliance that is pretty much run by fox sports.

I've seen several articles come out about the Big Ten in the latest US News rankings. This one is from Nebraska. In any case, 13 out of 14 schools are ranked in the top 100. More than any other conference other than the Ivy League. Rutgers comes in at #55.

I wonder why The Star Liar doesn't have an article about this.

https://cornhuskerswire.usatoday.co...-ranked-academically-by-u-s-news-for-2022-23/
I think I saw a NJ.com article about this:
“State’s highest paid employee is losing coach for school ranked way behind state’s best college”

Those are fairly old, fwiw. The new rankings come out (I believe) just after the start of the academic year, in September. Hopefully RU can crack the Top 50, which would be great. But yes, the B1G did exceptionally well as a whole, and the incoming additions will only help.

I just started see them know though. Don't know why that is.

Because the big ten has nothing to do with academics . It’s an athletic alliance that is pretty much run by fox sports.

That's what I thought, but it turns out academics matter a little bit. One of the articles talked about the reason why Boise State or West Virginia will never be in the B1G, PAC 12, or ACC, because those conferences care about academics.

That's what I thought, but it turns out academics matter a little bit. One of the articles talked about the reason why Boise State or West Virginia will never be in the B1G, PAC 12, or ACC, because those conferences care about academics.
Nebraska got in .
The academics thing is a cute thing to tout but it doesn’t matter

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Nebraska was in the AAU in 2009 when it was accepted into the B1G. But it lost that status in short order afterward.
ND and Miami getting into the AAU, while both are excellent schools, there absolutely were political moves to both gaining AAU entry as both are legit B1G targets. I guarantee the B1G will never grant entry to colleges without AAU status moving forward.

ND and Miami getting into the AAU, while both are excellent schools, there absolutely were political moves to both gaining AAU entry as both are legit B1G targets. I guarantee the B1G will never grant entry to colleges without AAU status moving forward.

Though USF and ASU entering are real head scratchers. ASU has a good law school but like USF I think their undergrad is basically auto admit.

Reactions: bigmatt718

Anyone attending ND or Miami is doing so in order to be football fans. Academics has no effect on their decision.

I just started see them know though. Don't know why that is.
No worries it wasn't a recrimination at all; hope it didn't come off that way.
Yeah, I've been seeing them regurgitated on my feed lately from different aggregators trying to get free clicks off old news. Either way, it's cool to see Rutgers as a Top 20 public and (close to) Top 50 overall. Onward and upward. I'd imagine when the Sept 2024 rankings come out, it'll be 15 of 16 for the B1G.

Have you seen ASU ?!? Oh my god , what a good reason to go there. Basically guaranteed to the best 4 years of your life. That’s worth the price of admission, regardless of the academic ranking.

No, I've never seen it. I'm just telling you my perception of it. I haven't looked at the statistics and I'm sure it's a lot harder to get into now, but back when I was in high school, I had the impression that anyone could get in.

ASU is a perfect example of how a successful sports program improves the reputation and benefits a school in all aspects.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Anyone attending ND or Miami is doing so in order to be football fans. Academics has no effect on their decision.
I thought Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine & Coastal Sciences was highly regarded. Back in the mid 90's that academic center was hard to get into. I'm still not sure why I chose Rutgers instead 😄

No, I've never seen it. I'm just telling you my perception of it. I haven't looked at the statistics and I'm sure it's a lot harder to get into now, but back when I was in high school, I had the impression that anyone could get in.

ASU is a perfect example of how a successful sports program improves the reputation and benefits a school in all aspects.
psu was like that too, everyone's safety school

Have you seen ASU ?!? Oh my god , what a good reason to go there. Basically guaranteed to the best 4 years of your life. That’s worth the price of admission, regardless of the academic ranking.

Seen the campus...or the other "scenery" lol

Scottsdale would definitely be a fun place to be in college (15 min from Tempe) but I don't know how they are with fake IDs.

I'll add my 2 cents here as a RU graduate school alum (GSM '91) and the father of a 2023 ASU graduate (BA in Business Sustainability).

My initial reaction a little over 4 years ago to my son choosing ASU (for engineering) over several alternatives, with RU being one of them, was that he was making a mistake. After all everyone from my generation has/had a less than glowing opinion of ASU, but boy was I wrong. Classic case of perception not being reflective of current reality. Of course no one should be ignorant of perception, however things change and President Crow has done an incredible job over the last 20 years lifting the reality of what it means to have an ASU degree. In addition to raising gobs of money and heavy investments in both faculty and facilities he has cracked down on the wild frat party scene and other nonsense that the school was known for years ago. In fact, now all Greek life is contained in the Greek Leadership Village which is part of the campus and it is DRY - no alcohol on campus - except if sold by the university at sporting events (naturally). Sure guys/gals might have a beer while in their houses, however, frat parties with alcohol are not allowed. All parties happen off campus, duh, they are college students after all...

You would probably be shocked to hear that current US News rankings of both the engineering and business schools at ASU are ahead of RU and several other B1G universities. Granted the acceptance rate is high at ASU, but the bar to graduate from one of the many top flight programs is also high. I imagine the acceptance rate is about to decrease as they now pivot from growth to quality of the incoming student body.

In my son's area of interest, sustainability (yes changed majors after 2 years), ASU is one of the leading schools in the country. In fact he was admitted to the Masters program in sustainability at ASU, but ultimately decided to get his MSc from HEC Paris to diversify his educational experience and perspective (leaves for France in less than 3 weeks). In essence he is doing a 4+1 program, but not at the same school.

The world changes my RU brethren ...

Reactions: Morrischiano
I'll add my 2 cents here as a RU graduate school alum (GSM '91) and the father of a 2023 ASU graduate (BA in Business Sustainability).

My initial reaction a little over 4 years ago to my son choosing ASU (for engineering) over several alternatives, with RU being one of them, was that he was making a mistake. After all everyone from my generation has/had a less than glowing opinion of ASU, but boy was I wrong. Classic case of perception not being reflective of current reality. Of course no one should be ignorant of perception, however things change and President Crow has done an incredible job over the last 20 years lifting the reality of what it means to have an ASU degree. In addition to raising gobs of money and heavy investments in both faculty and facilities he has cracked down on the wild frat party scene and other nonsense that the school was known for years ago. In fact, now all Greek life is contained in the Greek Leadership Village which is part of the campus and it is DRY - no alcohol on campus - except if sold by the university at sporting events (naturally). Sure guys/gals might have a beer while in their houses, however, frat parties with alcohol are not allowed. All parties happen off campus, duh, they are college students after all...

You would probably be shocked to hear that current US News rankings of both the engineering and business schools at ASU are ahead of RU and several other B1G universities. Granted the acceptance rate is high at ASU, but the bar to graduate from one of the many top flight programs is also high. I imagine the acceptance rate is about to decrease as they now pivot from growth to quality of the incoming student body.

In my son's area of interest, sustainability (yes changed majors after 2 years), ASU is one of the leading schools in the country. In fact he was admitted to the Masters program in sustainability at ASU, but ultimately decided to get his MSc from HEC Paris to diversify his educational experience and perspective (leaves for France in less than 3 weeks). In essence he is doing a 4+1 program, but not at the same school.

People tend to get locked into their perceptions from their time spent at college, and yes, Universities grow positively in some areas, and some decline. People on these boards put down Rowan University for everything, including engineering, but I would not do that.

Back to ASU, I'm very familiar with ASU, as I work in patents, and there are several large companies working with ASU in the area of semiconductors, and that is going to explode in the coming years with recent investments. It's a good time to be ASU.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...t-arizona-hail-supply-chain-fixes-2022-12-06/

times do change as when I went to RU, PSU was a safety school akin to stockton

People tend to get locked into their perceptions from their time spent at college, and yes, Universities grow positively in some areas, and some decline. People on these boards put down Rowan University for everything, including engineering, but I would not do that.

Back to ASU, I'm very familiar with ASU, as I work in patents, and there are several large companies working with ASU in the area of semiconductors, and that is going to explode in the coming years with recent investments. It's a good time to be ASU.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...t-arizona-hail-supply-chain-fixes-2022-12-06/

Funny how a $40 billion chip manufacturing facility might interest prospective faculty and students.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Funny how a $40 billion chip manufacturing facility might interest prospective faculty and students.
Trouble in Paradise valley? Infighting between TSMC and local unions. TSMC wants visas for more Taiwanese who say there are not enough skilled workers. Unions fighting the move.

Trouble in Paradise valley? Infighting between TSMC and local unions. TSMC wants visas for more Taiwanese who say there are not enough skilled workers. Unions fighting the move.

To what extent is chip manufacturing unionized? I don't know that answer.

To what extent is chip manufacturing unionized? I don't know that answer.
There is a heavy reliance on trades--pipefitters, plumbers, electricians, etc, which is true of almost any manufacturing operation. In a place and time far and long ago, I worked as a shift supervisor in a "high tech" plant in NC. We had to do some gymnastics sometimes to work with and around the trades to keep the factory running 24/7, which was a necessity to supply our in demand product. We worked things out most of the time, but sometimes had to be creative with workarounds.

One thing I have not done much reading on is that certain stages of semiconductor manufacturing (slicing wafers, lapping/polishing) are fairly water intensive processes, and water is a precious commodity in the desert. There are homeowner associations outside of the Phoenix/metro area that are utilizing private trucks deliver water. Not sure what part(s) of the semi "fab" process will be included in the TSMC facility.

Dumb comment as usual and another one trying to belittle the academic positives of the BIG. Why??? Kids are applying to BIG schools for what reason?? The Fox network???

Dumb comment as usual and another one trying to belittle the academic positives of the BIG. Why??? Kids are applying to BIG schools for what reason?? The Fox network???

Because they might want to go to school there . The conference is based on football

Reactions: Knight Shift
Because they might want to go to school there . The conference is based on football
You' re full of Bullcrap- kids want to go to BIG schools because of the prestige of BIG schools. I've discovered you are not worth "talking to" --you are an *******. Go support a NFL team college sports don't deserve you.

You' re full of Bullcrap- kids want to go to BIG schools because of the prestige of BIG schools. I've discovered you are not worth "talking to" --you are an *******. Go support a NFL team college sports don't deserve you.
So kids choose schools because of what football conference the school is in?? That has got to be one of most asinine things I ever heard!! By your logic no one would be applying to Notre dame since they aren’t in a football conference !

So kids choose schools because of what football conference the school is in?? That has got to be one of most asinine things I ever heard!! By your logic no one would be applying to Notre dame since they aren’t in a football conference !

A kid with multiple acceptances might take it into account.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT