ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten commissioner defends absurd Friday night schedule

The latter part of your #3 hasn’t happened yet, like more than a few envisioned, so I don’t see it happening here.

BUT if the Giants and the Jets want to pay RU 8 figures for this to happen…I’m listening. ☎️

Reactions: Jimpeg
I can picture OSU, UM and PSU sitting on ornate chaise lounges eating grapes with someone fans them with feather fans…yelling “work plebes” 😆

Guys, cut it out.
The Big Ten threw us a lifeline.
In all their charity, they let us in.
You're not allowed to complain about trivial matters like when we play games.
Would you rather be back in the Big East???
Just accept it and deal.

Did I get that dumb argument, right?

I mean, you can complain all you want, but you just sound ill informed and entitled.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
The “Thank you, sir. May I have another?” replies in these discussions are similar.

On October 25th we could be playing UCONN in a half empty stadium on an abandoned airstrip. Thankfully we will instead be playing a nationally televised game against US freaking C in the Colosseum. Yes it’s a late start but my ass will be on local time as I won’t be missing this one. Hopefully I can buy you a beer in LA.

On October 25th we could be playing UCONN in a half empty stadium on an abandoned airstrip. Thankfully we will instead be playing a nationally televised game against US freaking C in the Colosseum. Yes it’s a late start but my ass will be on local time as I won’t be missing this one. Hopefully I can buy you a beer in LA.
But we’re not. And haven’t been (unless they want to come here - and ONLY here😎) for a decade.

That’s all I’m saying. The “there but for the grace of God (or geography)” is old.

We are a B1G school and have been for decade. If we want to complain about B1G things and how they affect us, I think (as you said previously) we’re entitled.

But we’re not. And haven’t been (unless they want to come here - and ONLY here😎) for a decade.

That’s all I’m saying. The “there but for the grace of God (or geography)” is old.

We are a B1G school and have been for decade. If we want to complain about B1G things and how they affect us, I think (as you said previously) we’re entitled.
Fair enough.

Agreed. I would like to see how he defends a game that is scheduled to start at 11 PM and not finish until 230 or 3 AM.
Someone should ask him about the possibility of game 1 of the World Series being rained out . How is that accounted for or is it not ?

Guys, cut it out.
The Big Ten threw us a lifeline.
In all their charity, they let us in.
You're not allowed to complain about trivial matters like when we play games.
Would you rather be back in the Big East???
Just accept it and deal.

Did I get that dumb argument, right?
A couple of comments. First- that lifeline they threw us had a chest full of gold that came with us…Doesn’t matter if we got in because of viewership or the football team but we made them shitliads of cash.
And…we paid our dues. We are now at full share, bid our time, made them gold…if we want to bitch, we are allowed to now.

A couple of comments. First- that lifeline they threw us had a chest full of gold that came with us…Doesn’t matter if we got in because of viewership or the football team but we made them shitliads of cash.
And…we paid our dues. We are now at full share, bid our time, made them gold…if we want to bitch, we are allowed to now.
The lifeline saved us.
We made them cash and we gave them easy wins . Time to flip the script. Start winning

and the B1G could have been down 20-25% in TV revenue...just saying

and neither one of them brought terribile football to the league that Rutgers brought
we actually did not bring terrible football - the first year showed that...we had to grow into the conference but it was a good first showing. We just didn't grow, we went backwards.

Reactions: Scarlet83
we actually did not bring terrible football - the first year showed that...we had to grow into the conference but it was a good first showing. We just didn't grow, we went backwards.
We went 3-5 that year.
Then we were terrible for years!
Nebraska wasn’t good and had 3 different coaches beat us, who eventually all got fired. Even that guy Riley beat us - twice !

Reactions: RUStriker
We went 3-5 that year.
Then we were terrible for years!
Nebraska wasn’t good and had 3 different coaches beat us, who eventually all got fired. Even that guy Riley beat us - twice !
3-5 against OSU/Mich/M St/Neb/Wisc - not counting 7-6 teams- PSU and MD...That is pretty darn good...

It was less about what we brought in then it was about the shitshow from leadership.

Reactions: Scarlet83
3-5 against OSU/Mich/M St/Neb/Wisc - not counting 7-6 teams- PSU and MD...That is pretty darn good...

It was less about what we brought in then it was about the shitshow from leadership.

It was our best year in the BIG , no doubt.
I am hopeful this year is better and we get at least 8 regular season
wins

Why doesn't USC have to pay a price,
Some equal members are more equal than others.
Because it’s all about ratings and advertising rates the broadcasters can charge.
With an 11 PM EST start, how well will the ratings do in the number one market (NYC) at the start of the game, start of the second half and towards the end of the game?? That's what doesnt make sense to me. Yet, as others have pointed out, other west coast games get a 9 PM start.

It can follow a formula though -- play and win on Fridays. Win so much that the NY DMA is watching us. Then we don't play Friday nights anymore and get coveted Saturday national spots.
Huh?? We were so successful during the Big East days that we didn't move off them we became a mainstay on Thursday!

Yeah all those losing seasons and empty stadiums have really enhanced the conference. Most Big Ten fans want Rutgers and Maryland kicked out. Hard truth but it’s absolutely the reality. Better start winning and improving attendance soon…

I don’t get what all the hoopla is about
Personally, I love the idea of Friday night games

Good thing is with a big ten schedule we know about it far enough in advance that I’d venture to say the overwhelming majority of people can either take a PTO or take a half-day from work

Throwing a nice tailgate, warm weather in September, and night football on the banks it is a dream come true

Plus, now you have your weekend free
Sounds like a win-win in my book

The Rutgers at USC at 11pm EST is really the only one that makes absolutely no sense. You've basically cut a lot of viewership numbers down just by the start time. Friday night games should be no later than a 9pm start EST. Look I used to love my after midnight PAC and WAC games, but I also understood not many beside a college football nut was watching.
It's scheduled for after the world series game. That's why it's a one off

No need to ask. I can answer that question. The RU-USC game is played at 8 PM Pacific time as scheduled.
Of course that’s what will happen . But the big viewership numbers are based on true World Series game else in. The question is the BIG is ok with an 11 pm game with the possibility of no lead in and if the baseball game gets rained out how much will viewership hurt ? I am sure Fox has told him this already , so I am interested in it and surprised no one asked

Of course that’s what will happen . But the big viewership numbers are based on true World Series game else in. The question is the BIG is ok with an 11 pm game with the possibility of no lead in and if the baseball game gets rained out how much will viewership hurt ? I am sure Fox has told him this already , so I am interested in it and surprised no one asked

You want someone to ask the B1G commish what happens to a football game in late October if a baseball game gets rained out? On his list of priorities and worries I’d imagine this registers as non existent. It’s one hour folks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT