ADVERTISEMENT

BigTen Tournament As Of:

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
84839642_10157486040549022_7530726327444307968_o.jpg

Reactions: mikefla
Ohio State would be rough first round matchup....but its almost a certainty that Ohio State will be moving up the seeding list. I see the battle for 11th and 12th between Michigan, Purdue, and Minnesota and perhaps Indiana.

Reactions: ru2bur
Michigan looked like a great team on Saturday......and they would be playing on Wednesday

Ohio State was a top 5 team early in the year.....and they would be playing on Wednesday

I'd be fine with that bracket. There is so much parity that it's important just to keep the single bye. Double bye would be ideal but I don't think that's happening with our remaining schedule.

Win 3 of the next 4 (the home games) and we might be in a double-bye situation. Bottom line is ideally we don’t want to need a B1G tourney win to dance.

Michigan looked like a great team on Saturday

No, they didn’t....good, yes, “great,” no. You do realize they didn’t score from the floor the last 9-minutes of the game, or something like that, right? That doesn’t happen to teams who “looked great.”

No, they didn’t....good, yes, “great,” no. You do realize they didn’t score from the floor the last 9-minutes of the game, or something like that, right? That doesn’t happen to teams who “looked great.”
More in context of a 12th seeded team. More like exaggerating to make a point.

You have told people, I assume, they looked great when in reality they probably looked average.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
MIchigan I believe had 14 or 15 turnovers and we only had 9. Simpson did wonderful as he and Johns were the two guys who led us to our loss. Next time we must guard Johns on his threes and do a better job on Simpson.

If it's close, you'd rather be the 11th seed than the 10th seed imho. Better chance for a much needed extra win.

At this point, I just want that first round bye. There really aren't any teams in conference I would *want* to see on a neutral court and win-or-go-home environment, and I don't think there are any teams that would necessarily *want* to see us, either.

As @kcg88 posted in another thread, Maryland, PSU and Illinois have two (2) games left with NW/Neb. Big advantage in going for that double bye.

We do get to play each of them (MD, Ill and PSU) coming down the stretch. So we do have some control over each.

At this point, I just want that first round bye. There really aren't any teams in conference I would *want* to see on a neutral court and win-or-go-home environment, and I don't think there are any teams that would necessarily *want* to see us, either.
Agreed. I think we have a decent chance to switch places withIllinois and become the 3 seed. The winner of the Big 10 is likely to have either 6 or 7 losses. If Rutgers can get Ohio State on Wednesday , I love our chances against Illinois and Michigan at home , that puts us in great position going into the last 4 with 5 losses.

This is a good path for Rutgers.

have already beaten both Indiana aand Northwestern so is possible to do again.
Illinois we play again but I am confident we are on the same level as them.

We beat PSU so we can definitely do that again.

Iowa, Maryland, and Mich St are tough matchups for us.

This is a good path for Rutgers.

have already beaten both Indiana aand Northwestern so is possible to do again.
Illinois we play again but I am confident we are on the same level as them.

We beat PSU so we can definitely do that again.

Iowa, Maryland, and Mich St are tough matchups for us.

The tournament is also in Indianapolis, so I'd expect large contingents from driving-distance schools like Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan, and MSU.

In the scenario above, the winner of Indiana/Northwestern would likely be bolstered by something of a home crowd atmosphere against us.

Ohio State would be rough first round matchup....but its almost a certainty that Ohio State will be moving up the seeding list. I see the battle for 11th and 12th between Michigan, Purdue, and Minnesota and perhaps Indiana.
Now that Livers has returned to the lineup Michigan will be a very tough out. They're a totally different team with him playing.

The tournament is also in Indianapolis, so I'd expect large contingents from driving-distance schools like Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan, and MSU.

In the scenario above, the winner of Indiana/Northwestern would likely be bolstered by something of a home crowd atmosphere against us.
yeah but we are 1 of the farthest schools from Indianapolis and should have a small fan base.

Rutgers, Penn St, Maryland, Nebraska, Minnesota are all pretty far away. Also, some of the traditional B10 schools have a lot of alumni in Chicago only a few hours away. For PSU, Rutgers, and Maryland the alumni are more in the NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC areas.

yeah but we are 1 of the farthest schools from Indianapolis and should have a small fan base.

Rutgers, Penn St, Maryland, Nebraska, Minnesota are all pretty far away. Also, some of the traditional B10 schools have a lot of alumni in Chicago only a few hours away. For PSU, Rutgers, and Maryland the alumni are more in the NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC areas.

In the scenario above, whether we play Northwestern or Indiana, I'd expect to be outnumbered.... though I'd imagine coming off this season, with that being our first game, there'd be a good contingent that would fly out.

Best case scenario crowd-wise would probably be facing Nebraska, though it's hard to beat a team 3x in one season. At this point, though, so much is still up in the air because the teams from 2 through 12 are only separated by 3 games.

Michigan and Ohio St both scare me. They have talent that is better than there record. Both can go on a 4-5 game run.

Now that Livers has returned to the lineup Michigan will be a very tough out. They're a totally different team with him playing.

I am amazed that he’s back. A week ago they were saying the end of February. He’s already re-injured the groin once and had to sit out more games. That’s very difficult injury to play basketball with and if you’re not 100% you can easily re-injure yourself.

In the scenario above, whether we play Northwestern or Indiana, I'd expect to be outnumbered.... though I'd imagine coming off this season, with that being our first game, there'd be a good contingent that would fly out.

Best case scenario crowd-wise would probably be facing Nebraska, though it's hard to beat a team 3x in one season. At this point, though, so much is still up in the air because the teams from 2 through 12 are only separated by 3 games.

If you’re outnumbered by Northwestern, it’ll be because you brought fewer than ten fans yourself. ;)

Reactions: RUChoppin
The cool thing right now is Rutgers doesn't have any conference rival types. Penn St and Maryland can become that in the coming years and maybe Iowa but even if there aren't a ton of RU fans in Indianapolis, their opponents rivals will have fans there looking for those teams to lose. Rutgers can pick up plenty of fans on a game to game basis. That being said, all those cow schools dont think rutgers belongs, so may just be screwed
But I'm very excited about the conference tournament

If it's close, you'd rather be the 11th seed than the 10th seed imho. Better chance for a much needed extra win.

I don't agree. First, being 11th probably means one less regular season win than the 10th seed which offsets the win gained on Wednesday.. And second, the opportunity to advance to the quarterfinals is greater if you only have to win 1 game to get there.

I'd love to kick Indiana's ass again..talk about an easy matchup. Rather face them than northwestern

Wouldn’t mind switching places with Illinois , as I like our Iowa matchup a little better than Michigan State, but holding out real hope we switch places with the 3 seed Iowa. We are tied for 3rd with Iowa and Michigan State and only seeded 5th because of our road losses to them that we did not get to pay back. Maybe we do in the tourney.

Reactions: mikebal9
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT