ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA tournament may expand

I kind of don't hate it? In 2004 the Big East had 14 teams, the ACC had 9, the Big 10 had 11, the SEC had 12, the Big 12 had 12, and the Pac-12 had 12 for a total of 70.

In 2024 the Big East has 11, the ACC has 15, the Big 10 has 14, the SEC has 14, the Big 12 has 14, and the Pac-12 has 12 for a total of 80. Cut Washington State and Oregon State going forward and there are still eight more power conference teams than there were 20 years ago. Something's gotta give. Honestly the smaller leagues are quite watered-down now. C-USA used to be a force. The A-10 used to be a 3+ big league. The Missouri Valley had Wichita State and Creighton.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
The beauty of basketball versus football is the short recovery time needed for basketball
League tournament games have teams playing one or two days apart, NCAA tourney games a couple of days apart

They can add teams for the NCAA tourney without much problem, where with football its more of an issue

Let them expand it

Let's just invite everyone. Participation trophies for all. The coaches will all love it as well as they can boast of having lead their team to the tournament even if it is a watered down version. Gee I wonder what is behind this move. Couldn't be the almighty dollar right? That will drive what the end state turns out to be rather than what makes sense.

Let's just invite everyone. Participation trophies for all. The coaches will all love it as well as they can boast of having lead their team to the tournament even if it is a watered down version. Gee I wonder what is behind this move. Couldn't be the almighty dollar right? That will drive what the end state turns out to be rather than what makes sense.
You know with the expansion that only 21% of all div 1 teams. That’s less than pro sports. NFL 43%. Plus with more parity I like the plan.

This would be awful. Those extra 4-8 are generally drek...yippee we get to see 18-15 Texas A&M losers of 10 of 13

Or Colorado wth 1 quad 1 win

If you think small schools get in over power 6 you are fooling yourselves

And honestly I don't think they would break away from March madness. Sounds like a bluff to me.

This would be awful. Those extra 4-8 are generally drek...yippee we get to see 18-15 Texas A&M losers of 10 of 13

Bac, always like your stuff. Personally I never wanted to go beyond 64. It was perfectly balanced. I might have even preferred 48 from when I first was a fan. But if we’re already 68, 76 isn’t really different. It also would have prevented our RU screw last year. Also % wise it’s not a bad total. Finally, even though it would have helped Rutgers last year I might be for capping high majors. More cinderellas could be fun in the tourney that’s full of ‘land mines’ for teams.

Reactions: G- RUnit
I like it if these games exist as preliminary or play ins. More tournament basketball. Sounds good

The thing is the last eight in through the last eight out are usually not all that different. It's pretty flat so I'm fine bringing in some more teams.

I think the real reason anybody would expand or contract it is simply to make more money.

Thoughtfully, it's big enough as is. Nobody who deserves a chance to compete for the championship is left out. But these things are not decided thoughtfully.

I don't totally disagree. I just go back to what others are saying. If you look at professional sports, a ridiculously high percentage of teams make the playoffs. In college football, nearly half go to a bowl. So may as well do the same thing with college basketball. As has been stated if you take 72 out of 350, you're still on the low end in terms of percentage.

And yes, this basically means if RU has a winning record, they'll get in. That would make our final two games a lot more interesting.

Bac, always like your stuff. Personally I never wanted to go beyond 64. It was perfectly balanced. I might have even preferred 48 from when I first was a fan. But if we’re already 68, 76 isn’t really different. It also would have prevented our RU screw last year. Also % wise it’s not a bad total. Finally, even though it would have helped Rutgers last year I might be for capping high majors. More cinderellas could be fun in the tourney that’s full of ‘land mines’ for teams.

The tournament already has a seeding problem and now you want to add:

"We are purposely going to select worse teams just to make it more fun for tv. Actual merit doesn't matter"?

• Love
Reactions: dconifer
I don't totally disagree. I just go back to what others are saying. If you look at professional sports, a ridiculously high percentage of teams make the playoffs. In college football, nearly half go to a bowl. So may as well do the same thing with college basketball. As has been stated if you take 72 out of 350, you're still on the low end in terms of percentage.

And yes, this basically means if RU has a winning record, they'll get in. That would make our final two games a lot more interesting.
Half of the 360 is non competitive

Im for merit based rewards

Bowls are a joke rewarding crap

Not interested in six 18-15 schools getting in so power 5 conferences can feel warm and fuzzy

Reactions: gregkoko

Not interested in six 18-15 schools getting in so power 5 conferences can feel warm and fuzzy

Non competitive doesn't matter when making rules for the entire league.
It's still all one group.

Correct approach would be then cut the league from 360 teams.

If half the teams are non competitive then why are they all in the same group?

I appreciate your point of view.

Thinking about it more, if you count the NIT and CBI, college basketball is already on par with the other sports.

Reactions: bac2therac
I appreciate your point of view.

Thinking about it more, if you count the NIT and CBI, college basketball is already on par with the other sports.
Non competitive doesn't matter when making rules for the entire league.
It's still all one group.

Correct approach would be then cut the league from 360 teams.

If half the teams are non competitive then why are they all in the same group?
see above Nick

Reactions: NickRU714
guess what conferences will add teams
Letting in some more good (at least .500 teams in elite conferences like UConn was in 2011 although they did win their conference tournament that season) is OK as long as you add enough spots for “mid-majors.” I doubt anyone would want to play Yale, Princeton or Cornell this year in the Big Dance.

Last edited:
Letting in some more good (at least .500 teams in elite conferences like UConn was the in 2011 although they did win their conference tournament that season) is OK as long as you add enough spots for “mid-majors.” I doubt anyone would want to play Yale, Princeton or Cornell this year in the Big Dance.
do you think the power 5 are going to agree to a small school mandate

Gonna diageee bac

96 is ridiculous …but the last two years we were in the bubble . And we had sone serious wins to show that we could be a factor in the tourney

I think the next best 36 teams after AC leaves our sone real teams that can do sone damage in the tourney …and considering how flawed the net rankings is …and the reliance on them …I would rather see a few more teams get in …because miat of the teams not in , maybe the next 8….reallt have a pretty good resume when you take out the net rankings

There is more competitive balance than ever and the diffeenxe bwtween 20-80 on the court is a lot closer than in the net rankings perception

Letting in some more good (at least .500 teams in elite conferences like UConn was the in 2011 although they did win their conference tournament that season) is OK as long as you add enough spots for “mid-majors.” I doubt anyone would want to play Yale, Princeton or Cornell this year in the Big Dance.
Texas A&M who just snapped a 6 game losing streak would be in the tourney if it expanded at 16-13 with 4 Quad 3 losses. Why do we need to see schools like that. Ditto for Colorado who has one Q1 win. A weak Wake Forest. Heck medicore Pitt and Cuse would be last in/last out material. Ohio State would be close despite a 7-12 Q1/2 mark I do not see the need for NIT top seeds to get in

the incentive to actual schedule tough games would also disappear.

Texas A&M who just snapped a 6 game losing streak would be in the tourney if it expanded at 16-13 with 4 Quad 3 losses. Why do we need to see schools like that. Ditto for Colorado who has one Q1 win. A weak Wake Forest. Heck medicore Pitt and Cuse would be last in/last out material. Ohio State would be close despite a 7-12 Q1/2 mark I do not see the need for NIT top seeds to get in

the incentive to actual schedule tough games would also disappear.
Yet many of the play in teams have done well. UcLA goes to Final Four.
Parity exists. Firmly convinced if Iowa gets in could win a few.

More hoops is good. It’s a modest expansion - it’s not like they’re going to 128 or 136. Don’t see an issue letting in 2 more P6 teams per conference.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Gonna diageee bac

96 is ridiculous …but the last two years we were in the bubble . And we had sone serious wins to show that we could be a factor in the tourney

I think the next best 36 teams after AC leaves our sone real teams that can do sone damage in the tourney …and considering how flawed the net rankings is …and the reliance on them …I would rather see a few more teams get in …because miat of the teams not in , maybe the next 8….reallt have a pretty good resume when you take out the net rankings

There is more competitive balance than ever and the diffeenxe bwtween 20-80 on the court is a lot closer than in the net rankings perception
im having trouble finding more than 16 schools on the bubble out right now, and maybe only 10 of them are legit bubble schools.Schools have 30-32 chances to make a resume. Their generally is a pretty good cutoff in knowing which schools are ncaa worthy. Of course there is always going to be a snub or two every year. Thats the whole fun of it. Rutgers being on the bubble isnt a thing to aspire so Pike has to move the program forward because we straddled the bubble in the 3 ncaa years and one non ncaa year.

if 4 of the bids went to the James Madisons, Drakes, Princetons, and Grand Canyons of the world that might be fine but that is not what is going to happen. This is all about bloated power 5 schools having more participation.

Exactly. They're doing this to try and squash the FOX tournament which will have the P5 leftovers. I don't need to see more middling P5 teams
I'm OK with expanding, but I think that was a good insight about the Fox tournament gregkoko

Reactions: gregkoko
good luck

$$$
only hope would be if there was a deal where the NCAA changed the payout formulas where power conference schools would get paid more per unit than non power schools.

If $ was equal the power conferences would have to know that adding more cindrella schools adds to the appeal and total $ to the tournament

It is harder for power conference schools to go 18-15. Put another way, an 18-15 team in 2024 is better than an 18-15 team twenty years ago.

Why do people keep talking about "mid majors" and a "mandate"?

Is the premise really: we want less talented schools?

If expansion occurred and it was all Major Conference teams - what's the problem? As long as they are next in line, who cares.

Should Rutgers (with a better resume) be jumped by a mid major just because we play in the Big Ten and they don't?

Are we going down the path of eventually having 2 tournaments....media tournament (FoX)

NCAA tournament everyone else.

The national championship ends up being a Final4 of 3 teams from the media side and 1 from the NCAA side

im having trouble finding more than 16 schools on the bubble out right now, and maybe only 10 of them are legit bubble schools.Schools have 30-32 chances to make a resume. Their generally is a pretty good cutoff in knowing which schools are ncaa worthy. Of course there is always going to be a snub or two every year. Thats the whole fun of it. Rutgers being on the bubble isnt a thing to aspire so Pike has to move the program forward because we straddled the bubble in the 3 ncaa years and one non ncaa year.

if 4 of the bids went to the James Madisons, Drakes, Princetons, and Grand Canyons of the world that might be fine but that is not what is going to happen. This is all about bloated power 5 schools having more participation.

You're the expert: how many teams on average "deserve" a tournament bid?
Forget AQ and conference champ.
Just straight ranking 1 to whatever.

Obviously "deserve" is subjective.

Sounds like it's less than 68?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT