ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Ribbon CBB Preview Extremely Low On RU This Season

Las Vegas will change their opinions. Even Katz thinks that Harper as a freshman may be the best guard in the league. He has size, strength, maturity and skills. His maturity makes him equal to being a Junior. If you watched Harper, Bailey and Flagg in some of the National tournament games, they stood out as superior to all the other good
High school seniors in the country.
I would also add Maryland's Queen who really looked like an immediate impact player ... and maybe Edgecombe (Baylor). But, yes, Queen and Edgecombe definitively behind the top 3. And as someone else (maybe in this thread, even), in the ALL STAR games this late Spring and Summer (not that NBA-ish game, where Flagg was the only high schooler), Harper looked like the best player on the floor most of the time.

3 Hr jet lag is pretty much meaningless - I've never experienced jet lag over such a small time differential.
Agree. Especially if you are going right back East, or don't have to get up at 7 AM Pacific Time to get ready for work. You can basically keep your east coast schedule until you get back.

As I have posted before, and until proven otherwise in real games, I suspect Pikiell will want one of Martini OR Hayes on the court at nearly all times - that 3-point shooting, if as good as we hope (i.e. 38% to 40% or better) will be important to open up the lanes for everyone else (i.e. Harper, Bailey, Williams, Acuff ... even Derkack) ... the 2 3-point shooters on the court at the same time may happen from time to time, but both on the court at the same time DOES sacrifice some defense, maybe more than the RU staf may desire. Of course, at the end of the game, if scoring is needed, I could see a line-up of Harper, Bailey, Williams, Martini and Hayes.
People forget how much of a shooter Ace is. And while I haven't seen his career stats, Dylan appears to be an above average 3 point shooter. Most people have Dylan as the point. I think he and JWill will share the lead guard role, and I think we will see a lot of JWill making the first move to break down the D, with Ace and Dylan cashing in based on how the D reacts (either shooting a 3 or driving/following).

People forget how much of a shooter Ace is. And while I haven't seen his career stats, Dylan appears to be an above average 3 point shooter. Most people have Dylan as the point. I think he and JWill will share the lead guard role, and I think we will see a lot of JWill making the first move to break down the D, with Ace and Dylan cashing in based on how the D reacts (either shooting a 3 or driving/following).
Conceptually and theoretically I agree with Eagleton. BUT ... having a 3-point threat in the corner or wing in ADDITION to Bailey and Harper should be extremely helpful to either Harper or Bailey creating opportunities for themselves and others, and for Williams creating opportunities for all.

Lindy's predicted Rutgers to finish 9th.
Lindy's listed the top players in college and they show Rutgers having 2 of the top 4 players in the B1G (below).

To have the 3rd and 4th best player in an 18-team league and still be ranked 9th makes it very clear they don't think much of our transfers and returning players.

All I can say is this: not so fast my friend!!! Maybe I'm just being a homer, but this team sans Ace and Dylan, is MUCH better than the experts think.

Lindy’s ranked the top 150 players in college basketball and included the following Big Ten players: Smith (No. 11), Ballo (No. 12), Bailey (No. 13), Dylan Harper of Rutgers (No. 19),

Conceptually and theoretically I agree with Eagleton. BUT ... having a 3-point threat in the corner or wing in ADDITION to Bailey and Harper should be extremely helpful to either Harper or Bailey creating opportunities for themselves and others, and for Williams creating opportunities for all.

Exactly. It's about forcing the defense to cover the whole floor and not let JMike or JWill sit in the corner and send extra guys at Dylan/Ace.

For the defense: JWill/JMike shooting from the perimeter is likely infinitely better than anything Ace/Dylan will do.

Martini and/or Hayes (Acuff too?) close that gap and make the defense pay just a little attention to the off-ball players.

Defense is going to be jumping for joy if JWill is making the first move/iso drive on offense.
Relegate Ace/Dylan to off-ball and standing around watching JWill dribble? Sign me up if I'm the defense.

Reactions: Groz
Imo the West Coast teams are going to struggle. That's a TON of travel for them. And especially at USC, UCLA, and Washington there will be a lot of visiting fans in their buildings night in night out for all the West Coast alums.

Having Washington 10th is pretty wild.
If only there were regional conferences with historical ties and same time zone travel?

Someone should look into that!

Barring injury, I’m expecting us to end up in the 5-8 slot in conference play which would / should put us in the NCAA s

Would I be surprised if we end up 1-4 ? No

Would I be surprised if we end up 9th or below ? Yes.
This is the best team Rutgers has had since 76.
We will compete for the Big 10 title.
The MS game being scheduled at the Garden could cost us.

This is Pikes best team.
He has more length than he has ever had allowing him to play his style of defense, this is a point which cannot be emphasized enough. By year end this D will be one of the best in the country. I am talking on ball smothering DDD. Not this rim protector BS
Think Chicago Bulls Jordan, Pippen, Harper, Rodman!!! Just need a 5 to body up. Because the other teams 5 ain’t getting the ball. Our length will shut down all passing lanes.
I think Lathan by mid season will be getting a majority of the minutes, 5 scoring options on the floor at once!!!!
On O forget about it speed, Athleticism, IQ, spacing, ball sharing
O complimenting D
It’s going to be a great season.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Ace has never had to play D (and have his rate rate elevated) before. As far as HS goes Dylan did not make a ton of 3s in his career. He may be a good 3 point shooter, but he didn't make a lot of them.

We have a lot of question marks and a TON of upside. In my eyes one of the most important things to watch is Dylan and Ace's 3 point shooting. Offensive efficiency is highly correlated to 3 point shooting.

I have bought in to the concept that Dylan and Ace will buy in on the defensive end AND if Ogobole "hits" I think our D won't take a huge (or any) hit. I think it is an almost given that they both will have a negative offset on offense from the effort they play on D AND I think Dylan will have a bigger offset if he is tasked with the job as primary PG.

Reactions: Eagleton96
This is Pikes best team.
He has more length than he has ever had allowing him to play his style of defense, this is a point which cannot be emphasized enough. By year end this D will be one of the best in the country. I am talking on ball smothering DDD. Not this rim protector BS
Think Chicago Bulls Jordan, Pippen, Harper, Rodman!!! Just need a 5 to body up. Because the other teams 5 ain’t getting the ball. Our length will shut down all passing lanes.
I think Lathan by mid season will be getting a majority of the minutes, 5 scoring options on the floor at once!!!!
On O forget about it speed, Athleticism, IQ, spacing, ball sharing
O complimenting D
It’s going to be a great season.
Different sport...things have changed that much

• Haha
Reactions: socaldave
Ace has never had to play D (and have his rate rate elevated) before. As far as HS goes Dylan did not make a ton of 3s in his career. He may be a good 3 point shooter, but he didn't make a lot of them.

We have a lot of question marks and a TON of upside. In my eyes one of the most important things to watch is Dylan and Ace's 3 point shooting. Offensive efficiency is highly correlated to 3 point shooting.

I have bought in to the concept that Dylan and Ace will buy in on the defensive end AND if Ogobole "hits" I think our D won't take a huge (or any) hit. I think it is an almost given that they both will have a negative offset on offense from the effort they play on D AND I think Dylan will have a bigger offset if he is tasked with the job as primary PG.
It will be interesting to see how the lead guard role is shared.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

With Dylan, I think the correct statement would be that he did not TAKE a ton of 3s in his high school career, and therefore did not MAKE many. He can get to the tin at will, so there was no need for him to have been a high volume 3-pt shooter. But if you watch his form, he LOOKS like he will be a good 3-pt shooter.

As for Dylan and Ace's 3-pt shooting percentage/volume, I agree that if they both have good percentages, our offensive efficiency will skyrocket. But the great thing about this year's team is that they don't have to be the PRIMARY 3-pt shooters. Martini and Hayes will be the volume 3-pt shooters, with some Acuff mixed in. So if Ace and Dylan can just get north of 30%, our offense will still be very good assuming Martini and Hayes are pushing 40% and Acuff is hitting 35% or better. And if Ace & Dylan can get to 35%, holy schneikies Batman, this offense is going to be ridiculous when you combine that with the basic penetration and "shot-making" abilities of Ace, Dylan, and JWill (who is money in the paint).

Finally, re: Dylan being the primary PG, even if that's the case, it doesn't mean he will need to GUARD the opposing team's PG. In fact, at 6-6 or 6-7, I'd venture to guess that Dylan will NOT guard the PG. Rather, in the starting lineup, we're probably going to see JWill guard the PG and Dylan will guard the SG.

With Dylan, I think the correct statement would be that he did not TAKE a ton of 3s in his high school career, and therefore did not MAKE many. He can get to the tin at will, so there was no need for him to have been a high volume 3-pt shooter. But if you watch his form, he LOOKS like he will be a good 3-pt shooter.

As for Dylan and Ace's 3-pt shooting percentage/volume, I agree that if they both have good percentages, our offensive efficiency will skyrocket. But the great thing about this year's team is that they don't have to be the PRIMARY 3-pt shooters. Martini and Hayes will be the volume 3-pt shooters, with some Acuff mixed in. So if Ace and Dylan can just get north of 30%, our offense will still be very good assuming Martini and Hayes are pushing 40% and Acuff is hitting 35% or better. And if Ace & Dylan can get to 35%, holy schneikies Batman, this offense is going to be ridiculous when you combine that with the basic penetration and "shot-making" abilities of Ace, Dylan, and JWill (who is money in the paint).

Finally, re: Dylan being the primary PG, even if that's the case, it doesn't mean he will need to GUARD the opposing team's PG. In fact, at 6-6 or 6-7, I'd venture to guess that Dylan will NOT guard the PG. Rather, in the starting lineup, we're probably going to see JWill guard the PG and Dylan will guard the SG.
The only thing I can go by is makes. You may be right, but that is a guess. the amount of makes is fact.

As far as Dylan or anyone being a primary PG......it is taxing, more mental than physical. There is no doubt that if he is bringing the ball up he is going to see a lot of ball pressure. He needs to navigate that and then get us in to our sets.

I want the ball in his hands in transition....no doubt....when the game slows down it should be JWill (or even JMike). Now the last 5 or 6 possessions in a tight game?????? that i will wait and see.

Different sport...things have changed that much
Sorry but not.
College basketball is more like 90’s NBA
Today’s NBA is a different sport I agree
Pikes best team played D like that 4 years ago WTF are you talking about.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT