ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Huggins says major conferences should create own college basketball postseason event, ditch NCAA tournament

The thing to remember is how different football and basketball are. We’re not talking about one game a week per team where a super conference adding a few more marquis match ups per year would move the revenue needle.

How much extra net revenue do you really think a single nationally televised regular season Duke vs TT game brings in rather than Duke vs Cleveland State on the same station? There will still be money games anyway because teams will want to play at home.

This is all theory. We have a long way to go for the dominos to fall, if they ever do. I don’t know what the chain of events would be. When total athletic revenue per school falls some schools will be unhappy. From there their will be negotiations and a lot of potential paths.

The thing to remember is how different football and basketball are. We’re not talking about one game a week per team where a super conference adding a few more marquis match ups per year would move the revenue needle.

How much extra net revenue do you really think a single nationally televised regular season Duke vs TT game brings in rather than Duke vs Cleveland State on the same station? There will still be money games anyway because teams will want to play at home.
I am not sure where Duke would fit in.
I am not sure if football would be driver
I know total revenue would be less
The denominator would be smaller

I am not sure where Duke would fit in.
I am not sure if football would be driver
I know total revenue would be less
The denominator would be smaller
I’m factoring the denominator into the equation. What about Kansas? Your suggesting there will be a super conference without those teams? Come on. The divisible math still doesn’t work. There’s just not enough pure national interest in college basketball for this to gain steam.

Use the word could and not would.

I know the combination of changing media consumption and NIL the college sports landscape will continue to change. If you sprinkle in a more than a run of the mill economic recession that could accelerate change. From their the dominos fall and I don’t know where they go.

Use the word could and not would.

I know the combination of changing media consumption and NIL the college sports landscape will continue to change. If you sprinkle in a more than a run of the mill economic recession that could accelerate change. From their the dominos fall and I don’t know where they go.
I get all that - but I don’t see how any of it could change the national draw for March Madness, which as it stands right now is 90%+ of the overall spectator draw to the sport. Unless that changes (and neither NIL nor some percentage of mid-majors dropping out of D1 for economic reasons would facilitate that because enough teams would still remain to fill a bracket with potential Cinderellas), nothing else matters.

My armageddon world has a lot of colleges dropping athletics and a lot of colleges going out of business.

In the end we agree mostly on this topic. The big difference is that I see a chance of a Prisoner's Dilemna scenario where both sides lose and ultimately we the fans lose. Maybe the top 5-10 programs might benefit financially initally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT