ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling BOOM -- 2022 PJ Casale To Rutgers

What does that mean as almost every school admits kids with the minimum qualifying grades and test scores?
Lehigh apparently requires a 1350 SAT and a 3.86 gpa to get admitted. I don’t know if they lessen those requirements for athletes but those are really tough numbers to nail, even for well educated kids.

Congratulations to Coach Goodale on a great catch. I see Casale going heavy, Poz staying put where he is, and Soldano coming in at 197. Mullen may be less inclined to come and if he does and splits time with football, may disadvantage his wrestling chances. I think we'll see the same with Keyonte, which brings up a question... If Keyonte is not redshirted in football this year, can he be redshirted in wrestling? In other words, do the two sports need to be in redshirt coordination?

Congratulations to Coach Goodale on a great catch. I see Casale going heavy, Poz staying put where he is, and Soldano coming in at 197. Mullen may be less inclined to come and if he does and splits time with football, may disadvantage his wrestling chances. I think we'll see the same with Keyonte, which brings up a question... If Keyonte is not redshirted in football this year, can he be redshirted in wrestling? In other words, do the two sports need to be in redshirt coordination?
Yes he can redshirt in wrestling if not redshirted in Football. Has 5 years to compete in 4 years in both sports in any combo of years.

And those SAT and GPA requirements are not for athletes(still need good scores and GPA but not those numbers).

I don’t think you need to redshirt together. The example I can think of is Greg Paulus, he played four years of basketball at Duke and then transferred to Syracuse and played a year of football. I don’t think he redshirted in either but he expended all of his eligibility in basketball but still had time to play football. I think the only rule is you have to get all of your years of eligibility completed within five years.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
The gap between 197 and 285 is too large. You either need to redistribute the existing weight classes to close the gap or just add another spot in lineup. I know neither is likely to happen but too many kids wind up as tweeners. Does Casale really have a big enough frame to be an effective HWT in the Big Ten?

The gap between 197 and 285 is too large. You either need to redistribute the existing weight classes to close the gap or just add another spot in lineup. I know neither is likely to happen but too many kids wind up as tweeners. Does Casale really have a big enough frame to be an effective HWT in the Big Ten?
I was criticized for making nearly the same observation. Whether any 220 pounder can make the transition rests on several factors. If he is cutting to make 220, it's an easier transition. In this case, Casale has recently wrestled freestyle at considerably less than 220. What we (I) don't know is if it was a tough cut for him. I tend to believe if he could comfortably make 197, he might have chosen 195 in high school, although it looks like the weight class has changed to 190 and 220 has changed to 215. Why they would make the gap to heavyweight larger, I don't know. He will have to make 215 this year or bump up and face Mullen, which is unlikely. I think Casale will go heavy in college, even if he has to take a year to get there. I think Soldano will own 197.

The meta seems to constantly shift at heavyweight. Maybe it’s just me but it seems like heavyweight wrestlers have been going smaller in recent years since Kyle Snyder’s dominance despite being undersized.

How close are we to PSU and IOWA now with this addition? Again, I apologize for my cluelessness in wrestling.

How close are we to PSU and IOWA now with this addition? Again, I apologize for my cluelessness in wrestling.
They're in a class all by themselves. I think we can be a perennial Top 10 team at Nationals very soon, however. But the delta between Iowa/PSU and the rest of the sport is Mount Everest.

Last edited:
PSU/Iowa Wrestling are like UCONN women's basketball team during their Heyday.

If he was a football player, is he almost Wimsatt Level ? Thanks
Great question. So wrestling is very different than football in the sense that the no 3 guy at one weight might be a top 20 guy and the no 2 guy at another weight might in the top 50.

Pj casale translates to be a top tier guy that may need a year to grow into his weight depending on where he ends up. He is no 2 at 220 but not in matscouts top 25

Great question. So wrestling is very different than football in the sense that the no 3 guy at one weight might be a top 20 guy and the no 2 guy at another weight might in the top 50.

Pj casale translates to be a top tier guy that may need a year to grow into his weight depending on where he ends up. He is no 2 at 220 but not in matscouts top 25
You can say the same thing about football. The #2 linebacker might not be a top 50 overall recruit when all the other positions are involved

Casale is probably a better recruit if you had to compare their national level rankings, but you also have to take into consideration there are significantly more football recruits than wrestling, and Wimsatt plays a position that basically determines if your team wins or loses so I’d argue he’s the way more important recruit relative to the program if that makes sense.

The meta seems to constantly shift at heavyweight. Maybe it’s just me but it seems like heavyweight wrestlers have been going smaller in recent years since Kyle Snyder’s dominance despite being undersized.
Ithink the last guy that was watching his weight at heavy was Tony Nelson. Snyder and Cassar both around 235-240, and Steveson was around 260, I believe. The prototype has to be a guy like Steveson. Last year, he moved like Snyder and Cassar, but had the additional 30 pounds. Of course, you don't find those guys around too much, because they're playing football.

Ithink the last guy that was watching his weight at heavy was Tony Nelson. Snyder and Cassar both around 235-240, and Steveson was around 260, I believe. The prototype has to be a guy like Steveson. Last year, he moved like Snyder and Cassar, but had the additional 30 pounds. Of course, you don't find those guys around too much, because they're playing football.
The sample size is prolly still too small but I think the more accurate meta currently is the more athletic hwt… how many hwt can do a backflip…

Who was that dude from Hofstra a couple years back, Hughes? He was a LARGE individual, might have been pushing the limit.

Who was that dude from Hofstra a couple years back, Hughes? He was a LARGE individual, might have been pushing the limit.
Yeah, he was a large dude: https://gohofstra.com/sports/wrestling/roster/michael-hughes/5765

I was actually only referring to champs at 285, not the field, at large (pun intended). I'm certain that there are still a lot of them that are pushing 285, but in general, I think the trend is towards slightly, um, spryer, individuals.

Reactions: GantryZ
Looking at Grades on Rutgers football against MSU and it says
Kyonte Hamilton played 10 snaps on the DL.
His RS is burned for this season in football.
Weird because i thought most of his playing time had been as a TE.

Kyonte must be showing up in practice!

Pretty sure he was recruited as a LB. I haven’t noticed him in the football games but he’s still a freshman

He has played TE, H back and DL so they must like him. Schiano talked about his play on the defensive line and how his wrestling career has helped him out with leverage.

This is his largest work load so far. They really like his athleticism for his size. Greg wants to get him on the field in some aspect which is why they're trying him in different spots to see where he fits best.

Pretty sure I saw that Chletsos and Soldano signed letters of intent but don’t believe I saw anything about Casale signing. Anyone hear anything? Thanks.

It feels like the Wrestling media team has been missing a beat lately. I’m surprised they didn’t tweet anything (announcements, graphics, etc.) about the signings. Most other schools did something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT