ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Rutgers fills its baseball head coach vacancy, and it’s 1 of the winningest coaches

I know it is the main job for Pat and Sarah, but I hope he can schmooze with alumni to get some money for a stadium. That is a lot of wins. I would be happy with that percentage at RU. Hopefully he hits the ground running with New Jersey coaches and players and we still can make inroads with kids from the class of 2020.
Honestly I couldn't imagine a head coach of this caliber to agree to use our facilities if there wasn't some sort of promise of improvements.

Honestly I couldn't imagine a head coach of this caliber to agree to use our facilities if there wasn't some sort of promise of improvements.
Hope so. I agree. what is everyone thinking staff wise. Cundari stays or goes?

I have to say I dont like cundari's style. That said his resume speaks for itself. However Monaghan is very impressive. I didnt expect to be so happy to read his bio. I love that he learned from blankmeyer. I think having a younger coach recruiting and a proven connection with the new coach make him the preferable choice. Though keeping cundari would not be a terrible thing in general. I would be concerned about resentment as he was a finalist for the job.

Official Release:

Steve Owens Named Head Baseball Coach

"Steve has a remarkable record of achievement," Hobbs said. "His level of sustained success is among the nation's best. He now brings that formula to Rutgers and the Big Ten. Steve's great at developing student-athletes and putting them on a path to success, both on and off the field. We have a rich history and Steve will write the next great chapter for Rutgers baseball. I'm delighted to welcome him, his wife Catharine and his family to our family."

More Here:
https://scarletknights.com/news/2019/6/26/steve-owens-named-head-baseball-coach.aspx

Leaving the pointless bickering aside, I'm happy to see he is only 54. I was concerned with his overall resume that he'd be 60+ now and therefore less likely to have a long tenure at RU. I hope he is wildly successful here and stays until he decides to hang 'em up down the road.

Any word what RU baseball alums (including Frazier) think of this hire?

It’s hard to imagine that they wouldn’t be happy with this hire. My dad is friends with a former longtime head coach of a New Jersey college, very successful one for decades, and at Breakfast this morning (There’s a group of them in Hamilton who go to breakfast almost every morning at the same deli) He flat-out stated that this was an excellent hire.

Reactions: RUHouston
I did NOT “take issue.” Holy shit dude are you drunk or just a complete asshole today? I made a simple comment. That’s all. You could’ve just moved right on but instead you chose to make a big deal out of this not me (and you’ve been doing it for months now).
Try to get your facts straight dude. Go back & check your post in response to my post saying at 54 he still had some gas left in his tank. Your response was "Some"? I would think he's got a good 15 years if not more of "gas left in his tank". I'm the one who made a simple comment. You're the one who took issue with it. You're playing the misunderstood victim is old. And watch who you're calling an asshole.

Try to get your facts straight dude. Go back & check your post in response to my post saying at 54 he still had some gas left in his tank. Your response was "Some"? I would think he's got a good 15 years if not more of "gas left in his tank". I'm the one who made a simple comment. You're the one who took issue with it. You're playing the misunderstood victim is old. And watch who you're calling an asshole.

Dude seriously get over it. I made a VERY simple comment. I wasn’t arguing with you, nothing like that, just replied to your comment as millions of people doing message boards every day. You’re the one who has kept this going on and on and on because you think I did something wrong. Get over yourself and move on.

Dude seriously get over it. I made a VERY simple comment. I wasn’t arguing with you, nothing like that, just replied to your comment as millions of people doing message boards every day. You’re the one who has kept this going on and on and on because you think I did something wrong. Get over yourself and move on.
You're the one who took issue with my comment. The facts & the record don't lie. Alternative facts don't cut it. I suggest you get over yourself & we move on.

You're the one who took issue with my comment. The facts & the record don't lie. Alternative facts don't cut it. I suggest you get over yourself & we move on.

Sounds like everyone is moving on!

Great!
;)

Zap, any chance your buddies could become the new assistant coaching staff ? lol Growing up, my younger sister and her friends were absolutely crazy about Lee Mazzini. Had posters on the wall. It was sickening. lol On another note, any ideas on how he can really rally the NJ high school coaches around the Rutgers Baseball program? Just four or five ideas off the top of your head.

It’s hard to imagine that they wouldn’t be happy with this hire. My dad is friends with a former longtime head coach of a New Jersey college, very successful one for decades, and at Breakfast this morning (There’s a group of them in Hamilton who go to breakfast almost every morning at the same deli) He flat-out stated that this was an excellent hire.
You talkin about Fred and Pete's?

Zap, any chance your buddies could become the new assistant coaching staff ? lol Growing up, my younger sister and her friends were absolutely crazy about Lee Mazzini. Had posters on the wall. It was sickening. lol On another note, any ideas on how he can really rally the NJ high school coaches around the Rutgers Baseball program? Just four or five ideas off the top of your head.
The recruit locally paradigm has been poison for years. Please just get good players who want to be here. Does not have to start with NJ athletes. You are putting the cart in front of the horse. Win first, then you can be fussier about where they come from. JUCOs are invaluable too despite all the naysayers in our readership ranks.

I’m hoping Coach Owens has a lot of influence on sending our best players to the Cape Cod summer league.
Our best guys can not be languishing in sub-par summer leagues any more.
Believe me, if he can tell a potential recruit the Cape league takes his recommendations very seriously, it will help us greatly.

I’m hoping Coach Owens has a lot of influence on sending our best players to the Cape Cod summer league.
Our best guys can not be languishing in sub-par summer leagues any more.
Believe me, if he can tell a potential recruit the Cape league takes his recommendations very seriously, it will help us greatly.

Coaching at Bryant, he likely has some pretty decent connections to the Cape League. Here's hoping...

Cape Cod Baseball League has already started. Their Web Site is a mess, so it's hard to look at team rosters . The few team rosters I looked at I did not see any RU players.

Cape Cod Baseball League has already started. Their Web Site is a mess, so it's hard to look at team rosters . The few team rosters I looked at I did not see any RU players.
RU has one player in the Cape League this year

I spoke with a prominent travel ball coach. He said that he is very well liked. I think this will be a very good if not great hire. I would hope his son transfers. Though there are many factors. I agree cleaning house seems to make sense. Especially if his pithcing coach isnt hired as head coach. He is from nj, and really seems to be a rising star. Having a less experienced guy with add some balance. I think it would be tough for he and cundari to work together. Regarding recruits you dont usually see big amounts of departures.

Mr Twister, that doesn’t mean you don’t try 110 percent on every good New Jerseyan, regardless of the sport. Our recruiting budget can be a half a tank of gas once we get our own state on board. We know it can be done at Rutgers. We saw Greg Schiano do it and that was without the benefit of being in the best academic-athletic conference.

ADVERTISEMENT