ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Rutgers fills its baseball head coach vacancy, and it’s 1 of the winningest coaches

Mr Twister, that doesn’t mean you don’t try 110 percent on every good New Jerseyan, regardless of the sport. Our recruiting budget can be a half a tank of gas once we get our own state on board. We know it can be done at Rutgers. We saw Greg Schiano do it and that was without the benefit of being in the best academic-athletic conference.

Twister is correct. Get the best players who want to be here. That’s where this starts. I don’t think it’s accurate to cite Schiano any longer. He had some success but That was 10+ years ago and the recruiting landscape has changed tremendously. Additionally, exposure has expanded for all of these athletes. It’s great to be in the Big10 but it works both ways clearly. Our league mates certainly aren’t shy about coming in and using the same pitch to their advantage.

Maybe Rutgers coaches should try to come to Morris County once in a while. The County final game between Delbarton and West Morris had 4
D1 players on the field. None of whom are going to Rutgers. Seems like the coaches cars only make it to Monmouth County and Ocean County. And with Delbarton, there are always more in the pipeline. Maybe we don't get their best, but you have to try to make some progress with the program.

Twister is correct. Get the best players who want to be here. That’s where this starts. I don’t think it’s accurate to cite Schiano any longer. He had some success but That was 10+ years ago and the recruiting landscape has changed tremendously. Additionally, exposure has expanded for all of these athletes. It’s great to be in the Big10 but it works both ways clearly. Our league mates certainly aren’t shy about coming in and using the same pitch to their advantage.

It’s also football, which is a completely different animal. Recruiting NJ, PA, NY & LI are critical. Fred Hill Sr wasn’t ever flying in helicopters to games. He had us right there with SJU & SHU for regional power and we can get back to that point.

So much is about scholarship usage, coaching them up and getting a little lucky. NJ & RU are so big and there are plenty of kids who have been playing travel ball for years by the time they get to college and the idea of staying closer to home will mean something.

I still think the world of Joe Lit as a teammate, a coach and a man, but I’m excite about Owens. I was just worried we were going to bring in someone from Seton Hall. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::thumbsdown::sunglasses: :baseball:

Regional recruiting is not enough if you are playing for titles. Vanderbilt’s roster has athletes from 14 states and Canada — TN 11, FL 8, OH 3, GA NY NJ MA IL CA 2 each, WA NC MO MI TX Canada 1 each. Michigan’s roster has athletes from 12 states — MI 8, CA 6, WI 6, IL 5, IN WA 2 each, CO AZ OR MA MD GA 1 each.

We needed to clean house.
completely agree. That pitching coach really seems to be a potential star. I hope we can bring him in. Add another good hitting coach with serious recruiting connections and we could have a major staff. I dont think we need to focus on not recruiting nj or on only recruiting n. We need to drastically upgrade our skill. With the changes I expect to see in recruiting we can do that by focusing on nj or by focusing on others. I do agree that the occasional juco could really help.

completely agree. That pitching coach really seems to be a potential star. I hope we can bring him in. Add another good hitting coach with serious recruiting connections and we could have a major staff. I dont think we need to focus on not recruiting nj or on only recruiting n. We need to drastically upgrade our skill. With the changes I expect to see in recruiting we can do that by focusing on nj or by focusing on others. I do agree that the occasional juco could really help.
Our biggest recruiting tool after our new successful head coach is creating legit facilities. It needs to happen.

I'll bet some sort of promise/assurance on facilities upgrade was part of the deal to get him here.

I'm very wait-and-see on this hire.

I really was a huge fan of Fenster and thought he got a raw deal a few years ago.

Nonemaker would have been perfect as well. Solid recruiter and assistant at Monmouth before ending up at Auburn. Also, he played at Vandy. He is very connected.

I really like Cundari, and hate losing him as PC. He never got a chance to give his pitchers a full go through the system. But pitching wasn't the issue of these last few teams. The issues were that the hitters recruited were mostly light hitting guys who played solid defense. I just don't see how we expected to win with that mentality.

Owens has some great credentials and has won everywhere he has coached, albeit at small schools. Let's see how it translates here. I would HATE if he dropped the Miami series.

I really was a huge fan of Fenster and thought he got a raw deal a few years ago.

Nonemaker would have been perfect as well. Solid recruiter and assistant at Monmouth before ending up at Auburn. Also, he played at Vandy. He is very connected.

I really like Cundari, and hate losing him as PC. He never got a chance to give his pitchers a full go through the system. But pitching wasn't the issue of these last few teams. The issues were that the hitters recruited were mostly light hitting guys who played solid defense. I just don't see how we expected to win with that mentality.

Owens has some great credentials and has won everywhere he has coached, albeit at small schools. Let's see how it translates here. I would HATE if he dropped the Miami series.
I really dont think you are being fair. Sure there were other good candidates. None of them would be anything other than wait and see. Look at the recruits Owens got, the draft picks. That is not an accident at bryant that is a talented and hard working recruiter. Frankly Nonemaker certainly a solid candidate. I would take owens. Fenster sure he is solid, hwoever I dont see how you can argue he would be more likely to win. Also if things are equal I am glad we went outside of hiring an alumni. we are a big ten baseball program not a high school. Cundari, I dont like his style. His resume is top notch. That said where are the top rated pitchers coming to pitch for him. He didnt have one in two seasons. I know litterio can impact that. Still that has to be a concern. Debating wether there may have been a better candidate is fine. However I strongly disagree that it is wait and see that rutgers baseball is massively better instantl after this hire.

Reactions: rubaseball78

Pretty sure Fenster and Nonemaker took themselves out of the running for this job so no use in wondering what could have been there.

Cundari is a great PC, but towards the end of Litt's reign apparently things between Litt and Cundari were bad and they couldn't stand each other. A lot of behind the back stuff going on that made Cundari look bad and I think that hurt his chances of getting the HC gig.

Owens brings true fresh blood and somebody who's universally respected. Looking forward to seeing what he can do

Reactions: RUonBrain
Pretty sure Fenster and Nonemaker took themselves out of the running for this job so no use in wondering what could have been there.

Cundari is a great PC, but towards the end of Litt's reign apparently things between Litt and Cundari were bad and they couldn't stand each other. A lot of behind the back stuff going on that made Cundari look bad and I think that hurt his chances of getting the HC gig.

Owens brings true fresh blood and somebody who's universally respected. Looking forward to seeing what he can do
well if he was having a problem with litterio I would consider that a positive. I cannot imagine cundari with his background liked working for someone who he felt was inferior as a coach. In all seriousness I think getting rid of all the coaches was the right decision for the program. Litterio never should have been hired. It was a complete waste. I dont know what the status of the bryant search is, if he can bring in the pitching coach and another top assistant we should easily be able get back to a recruiting level that is ncaa bid and big ten championship level and that isnt an understatement. I wont claim to have been hoping for owens. However the more I read and more stories I watch this guy is not just another coach he is very good.

lol yes sir!
Yeah those goons sit outside the deli and bs with each other all the time. I played for probably more than a few of them when I played ball in highschool and even younger. Some great coaches. My favorite has a last name beginning with a G and is a former athletic director of a local high school.

Yeah those goons sit outside the deli and bs with each other all the time. I played for probably more than a few of them when I played ball in highschool and even younger. Some great coaches. My favorite has a last name beginning with a G and is a former athletic director of a local high school.

Dude....my dad has breakfast with him and 5-7 others daily. The good words about this hire came from Sonny P....They sit inside out, not outside with the Deli owners clan, but they’ve known them since they were all in high school and whatnot, And my dad was mentioning at least one of their books HAHAHAHA! I played 2 seasons for G before the dynasty years (only as a frosh and sophomore).

Dude....my dad has breakfast with him and 5-7 others daily. The good words about this hire came from Sonny P....They sit inside out, not outside with the Deli owners clan, but they’ve known them since they were all in high school and whatnot, And my dad was mentioning at least one of their books HAHAHAHA! I played 2 seasons for G before the dynasty years (only as a frosh and sophomore).
Ah ok, I've only been in there a few times but was always in that shopping center. G is a great coach and great person. The Pitaros are great too. Good times!

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
baseball is about to be very good. I really hope we get a transfer or two. I hope the two sons can get waivers. I know it can be tough. I think the older son who could be a solid bullpen arm. The other son seems like a border line draft prospect. The pitching coach being younger and having lots of connections. He will be a really good a addition and really balance out owens. Both of the younger younger coaches make sense. I wonder who we will bring in to replace barron on the ops side and the non paid coach. That is an opportunity for us to bring in a big time travel coach or nj connection.

Reactions: rucoe89
Oh Areyounuts, Since you are somewhat in the know with hs coaches any chance you can get info on jordan sweeney from egg harbor. He signed with rutgers. He looked like he was going to be one of the best offensive players in state after his second or sophmore year. His last two seasons he hit like .200. Based on the at bats he seems like he had some type of injury though I cannot find any info. Really strange to be healthy enough to play, and have two seasons where production is just off like that.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Oh Areyounuts, Since you are somewhat in the know with hs coaches any chance you can get info on jordan sweeney from egg harbor. He signed with rutgers. He looked like he was going to be one of the best offensive players in state after his second or sophmore year. His last two seasons he hit like .200. Based on the at bats he seems like he had some type of injury though I cannot find any info. Really strange to be healthy enough to play, and have two seasons where production is just off like that.

I’ll see what I can find out next time I’m home. I assume Somny P knows him as his grandson is one if the top prospects in the state (committed to Vandy as a frosh).

I’ll see what I can find out next time I’m home. I assume Somny P knows him as his grandson is one if the top prospects in the state (committed to Vandy as a frosh).
Thanks. It is really odd. Vandy is recruiting at a level that is just absurd. It will be interesting to see how the sec facilities and spending upgrades impact vandy.

I expect significant changes to the roster. I’ve long since forgotten the college transfer rules for baseball players. For many years, transfers for college baseball players was pretty easy and routine and without the need to sit out a season. Could someone give a synopsis here of current rules? Thanks.

I expect significant changes to the roster. I’ve long since forgotten the college transfer rules for baseball players. For many years, transfers for college baseball players was pretty easy and routine and without the need to sit out a season. Could someone give a synopsis here of current rules? Thanks.

Pretty sure you can play immediately.

Pretty sure you can play immediately.
Not sure that is the case as skiehoffer the maryland of transfer had to sit out last season? Certainly may have been mrore than just rules, unless you are talking about just with a coach change.

Not sure that is the case as skiehoffer the maryland of transfer had to sit out last season? Certainly may have been mrore than just rules, unless you are talking about just with a coach change.

I think that’s a conference rule. Could swear only football and hoops are NCAA-mandated 1-year sit-out rule.

Our pitching has not been good.
Hits and strikeouts vs innings pitched has been awful.
If you don’t pitch and play defense, you’ll lose with a strong hitting lineup.

Reactions: RUboston
as you have said and there really is very little room, even if very good at building players. You have to bring in 3-4 draft caliber players per year. If we had a team with three rutkowski types, three serruto types, three brito types on a consistent basis with some other good college players that is a winning team an ncaa contender and conference contender. And really it should be better than that.

Reactions: zappaa

I agree BUT it's tough to truly judge as he didn't really get a full cycle with his own guys.

Anyone hearing anything about a new stadium? By the way, the towns if Freehold and Manalapan have so many baseball fields with lights, we could just take some and I don’t think folks would know they are gone. Tighe in Freehold is one of many complexes in New Jersey that make the RU baseball complex look horrible.

Reactions: BaseballFan913
Anyone hearing anything about a new stadium? By the way, the towns if Freehold and Manalapan have so many baseball fields with lights, we could just take some and I don’t think folks would know they are gone. Tighe in Freehold is one of many complexes in New Jersey that make the RU baseball complex look horrible.
Can you tell me this is based on confirming a rumor you heard? I havent heard anything. However I really think it makes little sense for owens to have taken the job with no plan for facilities. I still think it makes sense for a parallel raise. I know hobbs has a schedule. However, the amount to go from a joke hs field to a decent d1 facility is not huge from a fundraising perspective.

Rut, more of a hope, although I have talked to people at the games who have told me the actual field is going to be repositioned very soon. I also would think during the hiring process the lack of a Big Ten facility was addressed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT