ADVERTISEMENT

Bret Bielema Fired

Damn, that was fast, didn't the Mizzou-Arkansas game just end?

Damn, that was fast, didn't the Mizzou-Arkansas game just end?
I was watching it. The news came scrolling across the ticker not five minutes after they wrapped up the post game interview. I'm pretty sure we all knew before Brett did...

Bilema out. Anderson already out at OSU. Both guys left Madison. But a wisconsin keeps chugging along. Maybe Barry Alvarez is really the genius out there.
That's the example I point to when talking about extending contracts, handing out big money. If they want to leave let them. Sure some times you might be losing a very good coach but more times than not you're not losing anything special. Thought they were right in letting Bielema go over money but still think Bielema could be solid coach in the right situation (B10) despite his Arkansas misadventure.

It's up to the AD to keep things chugging and have a list of suitable replacements. Do your job rather than handing out money like candy to coaches who most likely don't deserve it.

Bilema out. Anderson already out at OSU. Both guys left Madison. But a wisconsin keeps chugging along. Maybe Barry Alvarez is really the genius out there.
It looks like Wisconsin has a winning system. All it needs are people who can maintain it, and they always seem to find them.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Bielema ditching Wisky for the SEC makes Schiano ditching Rutgers seem like the smartest career move in coaching history.

Our friend Southern Gentleman's Thanksgiving just turned into Christmas. WPS!

I know you are joking, but isn't he a career defensive coach?
That has nothing to do with anything.
They fired him as he was walking off the field.

I agree with the point made by the ESPN writer. But I also remember that either Bret or his hawt said/tweeted some pretty condescending things about Wisconsin when they left for Arkansas. So what goes around comes around.

Mark Schlabach ESPN Senior Writer

You can argue that Bret Bielema didn't win enough games as Arkansas' football coach, but unless a coach has committed NCAA violations or grossly embarrassed the university with his conduct, no one deserves to be fired while walking off the field after the regular-season finale. Yes, Bielema will walk away with millions of dollars in a buyout, but other coaches are going to think long and hard about the direction of Arkansas' athletics department before taking the job.

I'll give you a crazy out of the box Head Coach for Arky- Lance Leipold. That dude can coach. Has won numerous D2 &3 Championships w great records , and now has done the impossible- taken U of Buffalo to a Bowl game. Wow!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/story/29850137/

Actually, he might be better for Nebraska, since he has coached in the state.

Last edited:
Arkansas native Mike Norvell will be pretty high on their list for sure.
If it's not Malzahn, I kind of think he's the next logical choice. I don't know if he's from Arkansas though. I think he went to college there though. They might have competition from Tenn though.

Last edited:
I'll give you a crazy out of the box Head Coach for Arky- Lance Leipold. That dude can coach. Has won numerous D2 &3 Championships w great records , and now has done the impossible- taken U of Buffalo to a Bowl game. Wow!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/story/29850137/

Actually, he might be better for Nebraska, since he has coached in the state.
Leipold can flat out coach, I don't know if any of the big boys will ever give him a chance though.

According to multiple reports, BB was not fired walking off the field, but rather inside the waiting room right before his after game press conference. This was done so that B.B. could address the team in its entirety before they left town for the remainder of the Thanksgiving holiday.

BB said that he appreciated the fact that he was able to address the team. While I have had many opportunities to disparage B.B. over the years for his coaching, or lack of it, I think he handled his dismissal with class.

Now, on to another coaching search! This is the 1st time in Razorback history that we are looking for a new HC and AD at the same time. It will be interesting to say the least!

Leipold can flat out coach, I don't know if any of the big boys will ever give him a chance though.
Someone like him you have to come up through the ranks like he's doing now or do what Joe Moorhead is doing now or what Chip Kelly did at Oregon by taking a coordinator position. He'd probably need a really stellar season to leap into the P5 but if he's just doing solidly then a step into a higher mid major conference like the AAC or MWC might be necessary.

You can do very well at the lower levels but every time you take a step up you have to reprove yourself. That's just the way it is, in life too frankly. It doesn't mean he or others wouldn't be good but there's a ladder and it's hard to skip rungs.

Bob Stitt was another guy I remember reading about from the Colorado School of Mines some time ago. He got an opportunity at Montana on the FCS level. He wasn't living up to their standards and his contract wasn't renewed.

Arkansas paid him in 5 years what Wisconsin would've paid him in 20.

Not nearly accurate. If he had remained and kept winning 10 games he'd be at $4M or more today too. Was not about the money really. He thought he was better than he was and wanted out of BS's shadow. That was a big mistake. Assistant pay was fake news too. His problem was ACs did not like him much. Same problem at Arkie too. Lots of turnover.

Not nearly accurate. If he had remained and kept winning 10 games he'd be at $4M or more today too. Was not about the money really. He thought he was better than he was and wanted out of BS's shadow. That was a big mistake. Assistant pay was fake news too. His problem was ACs did not like him much. Same problem at Arkie too. Lots of turnover.

I never heard of any discontent from his assistants while at Arkansas. Not even a rumor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT