ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Johnson not doing well

I liked Bruce but Carlin is a big step up from him and has national reach if we are being honest here.

Bruce was Patriot League level, Carlin is P5 level imo.

But RU fans will always love Bruce and rightly so. He was a classic sports announcer for RU fans.

Another Bruce FB classic:

“Caught, then dropped.”

We love you Bruce!

Carlin was a step up? Maybe for his connections. As an announcer, I completely disagree, especially for basketball. His voice imo is grating.
Bruce was smooth

McCarthy for football, Johnson for basketball. Those were my favorites.

Schiano and mulchahy canned Bruce for football in 2001
Waters and mulchahy kept him for basketball .
Then when waters resigned and hill jr was promoted to head coach Bruce was canned for basketball

Are there any available links to Bruce’s audio? Maybe a famous moment or three? Did he call the winning Brian Fortay TD versus Va Tech?

Are there any available links to Bruce’s audio? Maybe a famous moment or three?
Actually, a great thing to find would be that tribute segment he put together and aired after Geoff Billet and Rob Hodgson’s final game at RU (the loss to Clemson in the NIT). I just don’t know what happened to all that stuff following the Fox Sports transition. I hope the broadcasts didn’t go the way of some of the old NJN tapes. A lot of history on WCTC.

Actually, a great thing to find would be that tribute segment he put together and aired after Geoff Billet and Rob Hodgson’s final game at RU (the loss to Clemson in the NIT). I just don’t know what happened to all that stuff following the Fox Sports transition. I hope the broadcasts didn’t go the way of some of the old NJN tapes. A lot of history on WCTC.
Bruce was very good .
Would love to hear the billet buzzer beater call against Georgetown . I only heard that once, live

Penn state football win and earl Duncan’s winner at umass

Is there any chance Rutgers would do something to honor Bruce? That would be very fitting for a great guy in RU history.

Reactions: NiTeKnight
Bruce still follows Rutgers hoops closely, and we had a detailed conversation about the past and upcoming seasons at his son's wedding in April. In fact, when I called him Sunday evening to see how his recovery was progressing at home, many of his questions were about the 2023-2024 rotation. A hoops junkie at heart!

To all of RU fans of a certain age, Bruce will always be the voice of RU athletics. A lot games in those days were only on radio, so we all listened to him. Plus, he taught you can see the end of the world from Olean NY.

“It might not be the end of the world but you can see it from here.”
Bruce was kind enough to introduce our bridal party at my wedding back in 2009 as a starting 5! It was such a thrill to have him there, and I consider him a valued friend to this day.

Many prayers to Bruce as he battles back!
I knew Brian would have something good to say.

Great story.

Mulcahy doesn’t get a free pass. He was the athletic director. He should have told Greg leave Bruce alone for hoops. Bruce bled RU red. Karma came around. Not Bob’s best moment either and equally at fault.
Agreed for basketball... but GS made a good move for football broadcasts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT