ADVERTISEMENT

Buckeyes article on our stadium/atmosphere

Upper decks were close to 50% OSU fans. Too much dilution of our fan energy. Way lot less energy than the MSU game.

When those fans start the O-H-I-O cheer around OUR stadium in the 4th quarter, it was surreal.

At one point late in the 3rd Q we were facing a 3rd and 30, down 42-0, surrounded by OSU fans doing the O-H-I-O cheer and our, OUR, band goes to the top of section 205, then 207 and starts playing the OSU fight song so their fans could have a sing-along! Since we're such gracious hosts, and our guests had already taken everything else from us, I thought we'd be offering their players our dance team to have their way with on the bus ride home. Completely unreal. Maybe Brutus Buckeye can ride our horse the next game. WTF was that? I left the game...couldn't take any more.

Their under-30 fans were douchebags.
This was my experience as well. 8:00 game an alcohol make assholes out of fans. On the same hand, some RU fans who sit near me are fvcking slammed for the late games and are pretty close to insufferable.

FVck this guy. The entire article can be summed up as "you didn't entirely suck as bad as I expected"
Lol, yeah. Basically he said we have a better atmosphere than Purdue and maybe Maryland. Gee thanks.

I'm guessing rutgersal.

you would be incorrect. That was made by the gentlemen of the Yellow Lot Savages. They park in the first row of the Yellow Lot across from the Bock R party. they are the guys with the skeleton. They put up a funny poster about the opposing team at every game. This week was a bit different from their usual stuff and would have been great had it all panned out. alas

An Ohio player said it felt like a "home game"

“It felt like a home game for us,” said wide receiver Michael Thomas, who caught a 50-yard touchdown pass from Barrett in the first half."

It did sound like on Ohio State home game... in the second half, when 40,000 of the 45,000 Rutgers fans who attended the game had gone home and all 8,000 OSU fans were still in the stadium.

I didn't think the OSU fans were douchebags, there were just a lot of them. I sit in the North Endzone so I end up sitting with a lot of visiting fans. This was the first game a fanbase sat everywhere! Just a little taste of what some of us deal with weekly.

With that said, Wisconsin fans followed by MSU fans are the worst.

MSU fans were great IMHO.

Bottom line: you can't judge any of these fan bases by there under 30 crowds, because ours is just the same, you have to judge on the older fans, and the families, otherwise everyone is going to be called "douche bags."

Got it. Under 30 football fans are douche bags. ;-)

Reactions: brgossRU90
We REALLY needed that opening drive to count for something to keep the fans in their seats and to give the home team the boost the RU fans usually do. By halfway through the 2nd Quarter it was only on third down that their was ANY energy left - and even that energy was not up to the usual crowd standards at RU. But failing to score on that first drive and missing the field goal really took the air out of the crowd - and I still can't believe how many "Die-hard" fans sold their seats to O-H-I-O fans in prime spots on both sides of the field. THAT was the only thing that seemed completely against all good manners and intentions. It really pissed me off that our own fans would sell several dozen seats in almost every Prime midfield Priority eating section! I hope that some folks in ticket sales make note of whose seats those were and thinks about making it "somewhat" harder for them to purchase the same priority seating next year in 2016. We had an incident in section 125 near row 20 - I think - where Ohio State fans were not as cooperative with their neighbors and caused enough trouble to have to be asked by security to leave the game in the third quarter. I will say though that the Ohio State fans overall are Sooooooooo much friendlier and easy going than those TTFP fans. I really thought they were a legit #1 and certainly their fans are good people with the exception of a few.

I can't disagree more. I've been to all the big games everyone makes comparisons to - Louisville, USF, PSU, Michigan, Michigan St. Last night was nowhere near the level of enthusiasm as any of those games. And what ever enthusiasm we did have started to die with yet another errent kick.

Either way I love our university and our team.

Go Knights!

All I said was there was plenty of atmosphere. And the atmosphere would have gotten crazy if we put up a fight. Not sure who you tailgate with, or what your definition of atmosphere is. Our Tailgate and the surrounding tailgates in the yellow lots were as good as I have ever seen. The buzz was palpable. I am not sure how you couldn't disagree any more with this, but whatever, you are entitled to your opinion.

And like you, I love Rutgers and our team!

Reactions: Piscataway
Finally talked to a good friend this evening, an OSU grad, who made his 1st trip to HPSS Saturday. He was in Black Lot for tailgating, with other friends (one of whom, a former poster here, who had to wear and OSU jersey to the game due to a stupid bet made last year...), and loved both the tailgating scene and the game atmosphere (pre and 1st quarter). He, like the writer, was shocked how loud it got inside the stadium and flat-out said "I can't even imagine what it's like without 10,000 opposing fans and maybe only 5,000 or so."

He didn't rib me at all, but I was heading to my office at the time, however I do expect tomorrow night, for dart league, to not hear the end of it once the drinking begins LOL!

All I said was there was plenty of atmosphere. And the atmosphere would have gotten crazy if we put up a fight. Not sure who you tailgate with, or what your definition of atmosphere is. Our Tailgate and the surrounding tailgates in the yellow lots were as good as I have ever seen. The buzz was palpable. I am not sure how you couldn't disagree any more with this, but whatever, you are entitled to your opinion.

And like you, I love Rutgers and our team!
Can you not take what I said and twist it? I didn't say there wasn't any atmosphere. I said it didn't compare to the 5 big games I mentioned. I had a great time in the lots tailgating with great friends. I enjoyed the pre kick off festivities. I yelled my balls off. It just wasn't the best we've been in regards to atmospherics. Maybe because there were so many God damned Buckeye fans. And what we did have died quickly.

At least we love our school!

This was my experience as well. 8:00 game an alcohol make assholes out of fans. On the same hand, some RU fans who sit near me are fvcking slammed for the late games and are pretty close to insufferable.
I have said this before but if RutgersRaRa has something not so nice to say about you...it's YOU.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I wasn't at the game but for big games the crowd noise builds upon itself during a close game, building and building until the end of the game and with each 3rd down. The crowd was deafening for 06 lousiville. Every time I thought it couldn't possibly get louder it did.

One of favorite things about some games is when the crowd thins out in the 4th quarter, you would think the crowd would get quieter but it doesn't. All the diehards are still left and they just get louder.

Reactions: gnamur
Watching on TV and listening on radio I can tell you that the game which stands out by far the most for noise was the penn state game last year. It never let down, it was just constant background noise.

Making fun of the game day experience at Rutgers without attending a game is like people that have only driven the Turnpike laughing at Jersey is so awful jokes. It's about ignorance. This writer admitted, admittedly in a snarky way, that his preconceived notions were not supported by facts. A few posters here could learn from that example.

Got it. Under 30 football fans are douche bags. ;-)

lol, no, not all, but the "douche bags" in the lots, and stands, TEND to be among the U-30 crowd IMHO (and I would probably have included myself in that crowd as a youngster...).

lol, no, not all, but the "douche bags" in the lots, and stands, TEND to be among the U-30 crowd IMHO (and I would probably have included myself in that crowd as a youngster...).

I think it is worse now. Millennials. Popular culture being what it is. The concept of humility does not exist... certainly not as a virtue. How can we expect manners to exist with such influences?

I think you guys are missing the fact the atmosphere has been sub par all year. I truly believe all the off field stuff has taken the wind out of RU's sails and beaten many into submission. I know it doesn't seem the same to me. OSU (game, not team) was a joke. I arrived at the stadium earlier than usual. I walked around the entire concourse. I hung out by the scoreboard. I heard a few feeble attempts at RU chants only to have them drowned out by OSU cheers no matter where I was at the time. Yes there was some excitement at the start and during the initial drive but from the moment the ball doinked off the upright, it was no more a home field for RU than OSU.

I believe it will be a 1 year thing. 2016 will bring new hopes and dreams but short of a decent winning streak, it appears a large segment of the fanbase is there in their seats but have called it a day for this year.

Damn it really pained me to say all that. The kids on the team deserve better.

One of favorite things about some games is when the crowd thins out in the 4th quarter, you would think the crowd would get quieter but it doesn't. All the diehards are still left and they just get louder.

I've noticed this too. My theory is that crowd noise bounces off empty metal bleachers whereas it is absorbed by clothes/bodies.

If true, the trade off is how much noise is added per person vs absorbed.

IMHO, Louisville 2008 (not '06) had the loudest moment I've experienced at the stadium. There was some cold rain which thinned out the crowd. RU was on a nice win streak and Teel blew up that game.

We had a tv timeout, and the crowd started randomly going nuts. I couldn't figure it out till everyone started pointed at the big screen. It was lil jovi and the rest is history. While that game wasn't our overall loudest, I personally think that lil jovi moment was the loudest (especially when compared to attendance).

I think you guys are missing the fact the atmosphere has been sub par all year. I truly believe all the off field stuff has taken the wind out of RU's sails and beaten many into submission. I.

My MSU friends at that game - and the tv announcers - thought otherwise. So did I (for THAT game, anyway). The stadium was insanely loud throughout most of the evening.

I think you guys are missing the fact the atmosphere has been sub par all year. I truly believe all the off field stuff has taken the wind out of RU's sails and beaten many into submission. I know it doesn't seem the same to me. OSU (game, not team) was a joke. I arrived at the stadium earlier than usual. I walked around the entire concourse. I hung out by the scoreboard. I heard a few feeble attempts at RU chants only to have them drowned out by OSU cheers no matter where I was at the time. Yes there was some excitement at the start and during the initial drive but from the moment the ball doinked off the upright, it was no more a home field for RU than OSU.

I believe it will be a 1 year thing. 2016 will bring new hopes and dreams but short of a decent winning streak, it appears a large segment of the fanbase is there in their seats but have called it a day for this year.

+1

Nail on the head.

Not at all what I was expecting Saturday night. Was expecting so much more at the beginning and the early part of the game.

Well you know ur not under 30 when you use the term "youngster"!!! Lol

Two things...no one believed Rutgers had a chance to win so that mutes the crowd. Plus there are alot of fans who do not have faith in Flood and many have called it day. You have to start winning meaningful games. Losting 2 games in the last 2 minutes doesnt give much confidence that Rutgers can win a big game at home

When you think about how good it is now and the fact Rutgers is barely a blip on the radar screens of 99% of football fans in the region....

Oh, the potential.

Two things...no one believed Rutgers had a chance to win so that mutes the crowd. Plus there are alot of fans who do not have faith in Flood and many have called it day. You have to start winning meaningful games. Losting 2 games in the last 2 minutes doesnt give much confidence that Rutgers can win a big game at home

I have a long held opinion that Rutgers has a fragile fan base. Not to put words in your mouth but I think you'd agree with that.

Four of the biggest reason for that imo are (1) being in a pro sports dominated area, (2) shorter history of "big time" football than most P5's which means there aren't generations of a large, dedicated fan base, (3) the way the school has stumbled it's way, especially the last couple years. RU is college sports "Gang who couldn't shoot straight", and (4) the local media's never ending attacks on everything the school does.

Unlike you, I didn't think the average fan had any problem with Flood until this August. After the bowl game I'd guess he was considered no worse than an average HC and very likable guy. Now after 3 months of being pounded over the head you are probably right.

At one point late in the 3rd Q we were facing a 3rd and 30, down 42-0, surrounded by OSU fans doing the O-H-I-O cheer and our, OUR, band goes to the top of section 205, then 207 and starts playing the OSU fight song so their fans could have a sing-along! Since we're such gracious hosts, and our guests had already taken everything else from us, I thought we'd be offering their players our dance team to have their way with on the bus ride home. Completely unreal. Maybe Brutus Buckeye can ride our horse the next game. WTF was that? I left the game...couldn't take any more.
I witnessed the same thing and thought to myself that the band and their leadership are so out of touch that they would think that this is a good thing. This is a stab in the back to not only the players on the field but the ticket buying patrons. What possess a person to outright "cheer" for the opponent of your university. Because that is what the band members did by playing their fight song multiple times. Just screams small time and out of touch. Lost all respect I had for the band. I thought leadership was putting them in a position to fail but membership is just as clueless and accepting!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT