ADVERTISEMENT

BYU wants to join the Big 12

The biggest hurdle for BYU (who should be a Power 5 team) is that there is no one to pair them up with. The other schools mention in this thread are all too small time, they have zero to offer a power 5 conference.

The Big 12 has it in their TV contract that it will cover up to 12 schools, but the current schools with not get paid more than they do now. In order to redo their TV contract they would have to add 4 more schools are two MAJOR BIG NAME schools to force a TV contract redo.

For now Texas (Big12) is happy trying to hack the CFB Playoffs system by only having 10 teams and not having to play an extra game like everyone else.

Last year this backfired.

They will keep trying until it becomes obvious that their trick will not work.

Originally posted by derleider:

The Big Ten supposedly got that much back in 2010 on a per year basis for its championship game. The Big 12 wouldnt be AS lucrative, but it would still be up there and its a few years later.

What do you mean capped. Capped by whom? The very networks that I am talking about redoing the contract (because they could get add on years at a relatively low rate). Like I said - Im sure ESPN/Fox wouldnt have a huge issue spending an extra $20 million a year if it meant they keep the Big 12 in the fold for another five years longer than the current contract.

I wasn't tying my comment about the CCG to a specific amount. I was just saying that in general, these CC games aren't worth megabucks. The main reason networks like a CCG is because of how is makes the regular season more profitable, not so much because of the game itself.

It's capped by ESPN and Fox. They are not going to give the Big 12 more money if they expand. They will only pay enough to keep the per-team payout at the current level, which is around $20 million. This is because the Big 12's contract never went down to reflect the loss of two teams. If you recall, in 2010, Dan Beebe was able to secure an agreement with ESPN & Fox at the 11th hour to keep the contract intact. Essentially, that means the Big 12 is already getting paid for 12 teams. Therefore, they won't get more money for new teams.

Here are some links on the issue, and the pertinent quotes:

http://newsok.com/big-12-interim-commissioner-chuck-neinas-notre-dame-the-only-school-that-would-add-tv-value/article/3688049/?page=1
In a January memo to the Big 12 expansion committee, interim commissioner Chuck Neinas said Notre Dame is the only school the Big 12 could add that would "enhance the Big 12 value for television."

Neinas' response: "Our television partners agreed that the only new member that would enhance the Big 12 value for television was Notre Dame."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19206833/big-12s-born-again-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14
Within that deal is a clause that will give any new expansion candidates the same money as the current members (estimated to be at least $20 million per year).

One industry source said that number applies whether the Big 12 invites, "Appalachian State or Florida State."

https://rutgers.rivals.com/compose.asp?lin=1&SID=988&script=compose.asp&fid=642&cid=&tid=179204898&mid=&rid=179236587
A television network executive with knowledge of the negotiations also confirmed to me today that ESPN did not dump any more money into its existing deal with the Big 12. I was told that the key role played ESPN was that the network agreed not reduce to its financial commitment to the Big 12 despite two schools leaving the league.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2010/6/16/1521608/larry-scott-killed-the-pac-16-i
We learn from the Texas and Beebe media conferences and some more reporting from sources that ABC/ESPN basically protected its investments and held off college realignment by allowing the 10 schools in the Big 12 to keep all the money ABC/ESPN agreed to pay the league through 2016 when it had 12 members and a conference championship game.

Bring in two schools with national followings AND you balance things out religiously--Yeshiva and BYU.

Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:
PAC 12 should take BYU and (Nevada or Boisie or SD State) and be done with it at 14.

The PAC will NOT take BYU or Boise as members. They are not major research institutions (Check into the CIC and what it means to Rutgers) You realize that the University of Chicago and Johns Hopkins are members of the B1G ? The real money is in the research $$$, the bonus is making enough money from your athletic department pays for itself. That is the holy grail of all programs and only a precious few have attained it....

WV will never get into the Big 10. Forget it, don't even dream about it, won't happen. They got exactly 0 "yes" votes the last time they were mentioned.

The steer 10 should add Houston and rename itself the SWC 2.0!
wink.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT