ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari lifetime deal offer at Kentucky

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
Essentially another 6 years and $50 million. How in the world can anyone compete with that? It's gotten as out of hand as ever.

How is it disgusting? Do you know how much money he is managing in his budget and how much revenue and earning potential he’s in charge of?
He is a state employee of Kentucky. The amount of money these coaches are paid is at the root of all the evil in the NCAA. I have no problem with him making what he can - but it should be in the NBA. Colleges/states should not be on the hook for these massive contracts.

It’s just not a realistic range for more than a small handful of schools. He’s a one and done; “I create millionaires “”coach. Its not an even playing field and just not a college decision for these kids. Are academics ever discussed at all on these visits? I doubt it highly.

Reactions: knight82
I wonder how many of the one and done kids go to class once their teams are out of the tournament ?

He is a state employee of Kentucky. The amount of money these coaches are paid is at the root of all the evil in the NCAA. I have no problem with him making what he can - but it should be in the NBA. Colleges/states should not be on the hook for these massive contracts.

They’re not really massive contracts it’s tabke stakes

Essentially another 6 years and $50 million. How in the world can anyone compete with that? It's gotten as out of hand as ever.

He turned that offer down from UCLA. He currently makes $8mil in base salary and up to $9.2 with bonus’s. Take at least $10mil a year for him to talk.

Heard this today:

Kentucky has 1 championship under Calipari and only 3 FFs.

I wonder how many of the one and done kids go to class once their teams are out of the tournament ?

Done the tournament? They aren't even going in the second semester.

That said, good for him. He's a scumbag, but if the finances support, who cares. I hope we can pay a coach $10MM a year soon.

Done the tournament? They aren't even going in the second semester.

That said, good for him. He's a scumbag, but if the finances support, who cares. I hope we can pay a coach $10MM a year soon.
Not questioning the money they are making supporting that salary. It’s just hard to level the playing field across college hoops in D1. Look at Nebraska.,$3.5 million a year is a lot of dough but it’s not even close to the $9 million plus for Cal. How many schools could afford that kind of money?

Not questioning the money they are making supporting that salary. It’s just hard to level the playing field across college hoops in D1. Look at Nebraska.,$3.5 million a year is a lot of dough but it’s not even close to the $9 million plus for Cal. How many schools could afford that kind of money?

Same with any business

so 1 championship and 3 final fours

Only schools like Villanova, Duke, and UNC have similar numbers.

Consider Rutgers has not been in the tourney for over 20 years and many other schools never got past the sweet 16.

And for going to class for 1 and dones.... they go 1st semester as required. They may be able to skip and do homework with tutors.

2nd semester they typically don't go to class.

but it is only for the 10 or so kids that are definite 1st round picks. A guy like Zion can get injured and still be considered a top 3 pick. Others may have to prove they can still do everything physically.

in football many seniors who are likely to be drafted into the NFL drop out 2nd semester to work full time with trainers for the combine.

many college kids graduate to get a job for 40-60k a year. These kids are looking at 300k min in the NBA or NFL. Top picks are over $1 mil

It’s just not a realistic range for more than a small handful of schools. He’s a one and done; “I create millionaires “”coach. Its not an even playing field and just not a college decision for these kids. Are academics ever discussed at all on these visits? I doubt it highly.

Said it before and I will say it again at minimum every scholarship offered should be held on the books for 2 years. Collecting one and done will end rather quickly as scholarship will not be available or team will be filled out with walkons

Reactions: Plum Street
Said it before and I will say it again at minimum every scholarship offered should be held on the books for 2 years. Collecting one and done will end rather quickly as scholarship will not be available or team will be filled out with walkons
Agree with this totally with the caveat it should be three years. And the "used" scholarships should travel with the coach so if, for example, a coach takes 5 one-and-dones at a school, he can't leave and do it again at the next stop with a full complement of scholarships.

Reactions: MOBFreehold
Agree with this totally with the caveat it should be three years. And the "used" scholarships should travel with the coach so if, for example, a coach takes 5 one-and-dones at a school, he can't leave and do it again at the next stop with a full complement of scholarships.

Suppose Mulcahy blows up and gets a shot at being a late 1st round pick after his frosh or sophomore year.

You ready for Rutgers to lose a scholarship for a year or two?

Suppose Mulcahy blows up and gets a shot at being a late 1st round pick after his frosh or sophomore year.

This is why I said 2 years. But for as often as it happens unexpectedly Yes I would work without the scholarship for the year. If he leaves Sophmore year it has zero affect the scholarship was used for the 2 years I am talking about

That's a high class problem but a low probability scenario.

Having spoken to parents of several kids who were recruited by UK, they tell me that Cal discusses academics when he goes in-home.

Talks about leaving UK in good academic standing so as not to get them an APR hit, blah, blah, blah. Basically, part of his selling point is something like: "You're going to be a millionaire and beloved by Big Blue Nation for a lifetime. All we ask is that you give us 100% on the court and in the classroom and leave school in good academic standing."

Not many, but there are online courses. Somehow UK makes it work. They haven't been hit with an APR issue that would keep them out of the post season like it did UConn.

Absolutely - and Pike would encourage him to leave and RU would not have an issue. One guy leaving early would not hurt anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT