ADVERTISEMENT

Can anybody remember back to the days when ...

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
... we were competing with Syracuse and UConn for most of our recruits?

I can't either, and I don't think it was that long ago. Complete rearview mirror now.

Thank you B1G.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:

I can't either, and I don't think it was that long ago. Complete rearview mirror now.

Thank you B1G.
I think it was mentioned in the movie:
omybc.jpg

Thank you B1G.
So who is RU competing with now? You can't say you are "competing" with tOSU, PSU or Mich when you lose pretty much EVERY contested recruiting battle.

Old Dominion throws offers out there for every one of the big time recruits you see - are they competing with the big boys for recruits?

If you follow recruiting, most of RUs recruits that actually sign are being courted by Syracuse, Temple, Pitt, maybe USF for the Florida kids, maybe some schools like Minnesota, Indiana, etc.

Sometimes a kid RU gets may have an offer from one of the big boys, but in almost every case they are not being recruited hard by those schools and are backup plans.

That's the reality, no matter how you try to spin it.

for a couple of years being in the BE helped us.

We got a great recruiting class as we were able to say we were better than PSU and some other B10 teams. Now that we play them the recruits can judge who is better based on the games played on the field.

Originally posted by dicemen99:

Thank you B1G.
So who is RU competing with now? You can't say you are "competing" with tOSU, PSU or Mich when you lose pretty much EVERY contested recruiting battle.

Old Dominion throws offers out there for every one of the big time recruits you see - are they competing with the big boys for recruits?

If you follow recruiting, most of RUs recruits that actually sign are being courted by Syracuse, Temple, Pitt, maybe USF for the Florida kids, maybe some schools like Minnesota, Indiana, etc.

Sometimes a kid RU gets may have an offer from one of the big boys, but in almost every case they are not being recruited hard by those schools and are backup plans.

That's the reality, no matter how you try to spin it.
This...

We go head to head with Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Maryland, USF, UCF. We win our fair share in these battles. We lose just about every time a "big" name school is seriously interested.....

and by the way, the recruiting battles vs big name schools we do win are the ones when the big name school showed up in January, a month before signing day.

Syracuse got the following NJ players:

Jake Pickard, 6'6 DE from Millburn
Kenny Carter, 6'4 DE from Plainfield
Daivon Ellison, 5'9 CB from DBP
Dontae Strickland, 6'0 RB from South Brunswick

Rodney Williams, 5'10 S from Cherry Hill West

UConn got:

Tyraiq Beals, 6' WR from East Orange
Felton Blackwell, 6'1 DT from Cedar Creek
John Robinson, 6'2 S from Dwight Morrow
Nazir Williams, 6'4 DE from Bridgeton
Ian Campbell, 6'5 TE from Pequannock
Marshe Terry, 6'4 WR from Northern Burlington

Jamar Summers, 6' CB from Milford Academy
Sheriden Lawley, 6'4 DT from Lawrenceville Prep
Anthony Watkins, 6'1 CB from Lawrenceville Prep
James Atkins, DE from Blair Academy

Nothing wrong with the players they got, and I know I didn't include the surrounding states, it just doesn't seem to me that when it gets down to the Top 5 of our top targets that we don't have to worry about them too often. For the average Round Table member, how many of the names up there do you actually recognize from reports from our mods? A few of them, but that's it. No, we're not at PSU or Ohio State or Notre Dame's recruiting level yet. I'm not saying we're recruiting top of the line yet. Just that we aren't going head to head against UConn and Cuse like we did in the past, and you won't find me wanting to trade recruiting classes with either of them.

UConn rarely, if ever, ever beat us out for anyone. To Edsall's credit he did OK with a team of mostly unrecruited players. Now, of course, Red Bank's Donald Brown really wanted RU but we didn't offer and the rest is history. But for the most part UConn's NJ recruits were mediocre and were passed over by RU, including their great K/P returner from East Windsor (?) whose name escapes me now and who absolutely torched us in the last game a few years ago when UConn stunk and we were vying for a BE crown.
This post was edited on 4/16 2:46 PM by CuredbywinningRU

Originally posted by StyleKnight:

Originally posted by RUfan121:

Originally posted by superfan01:
Weren't we out recruited by Syracuse in nj last year?
Yep
Why because they got 2 players we didn't want?
Because they got at least 3 RU should have wanted:

Jake Pickard, 6'6 DE from Millburn - 3 stars

Kenny Carter, 6'4 DE from Plainfield

Daivon Ellison, 5'9 CB from DBP - 3 stars

Dontae Strickland, 6'0 RB from South Brunswick - 3 stars

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT