ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts

Through two games, I think the offense has a chance to be much better than we’ve seen over a number of years. The OL looks to be the best we’ve had in about 10 years. The WR corps has potential. The QB is decent. I know the defense gets a lot of hype, I think it is pretty solid but certainly not dominant, we are not talented enough at DL. The pass rush will be lacking against upper tier B1G teams without blitzing. I don’t think this team is as talented as 2006 especially considering the competition. There are going to be a lot of tough, close conf games that can go either way. If RU is good in the close games it can be a good year. If they lose the close games, it could be pretty disappointing given the expectations.

Home crowd was really really weak today. Crowd wasn’t really into the gym.

They definitely need to start pounding it and get pumped up!

First 5 min of game and fourth quarter the stadium was nearly empty.

Thank god for those bag lines keeping us safe!

When we went up 42-10 the exodus began: it accelerated once it started spitting rain.

Antwan Raymond. Not grouchy at you, but can people type a last or first name?

No worries KS.

I get it, and let the barkers bark.

1. Kyle M is damn good. He makes our team so much better.
2. Antwan R is going to be very good, he is 2b RB right now. If he can prove he can pass protect well he is my 2A
3. Our OL is better but we have some issues with speed rush ends.
4. Athan K is better than GW, but he still worries me at times. They are giving him a longer leash and he makes some questionable throws. That being said he is hitting things we could not last year. I think he is a B/B+ QB in the end (which is all we need).
5. The passing game is much better. Dymere M is as advertised. He creates separation, runs good routes (he is better underneath than I expected), and gets YAC. Chris Long is coming back into where I hoped he would be last year. The two of them are a good combo.
6. IS has to catch more than curls at this point.
7. Want to see some underneath stuff to Chiristian D when he is healthy.
8. Kenny F is having a solid B start as a TE. He is making plays, blocking decently, but he is making teams respect him. We still do not have a post up TE or WR in the middle of the field.
9. We badly miss Tyreem P on defense.
10. We badly miss Wesley B on defense.
11. Damn shame we lost MT for the season. This defense right now has 1.5 LBs. Once TP is back I think we have two good LBs. The rest struggle with gap recognition.
12. We have had 3 huge glaring Blitz/coverage mistakes in the last two games. The two today were the WR wide open and the TE running up the seam. Both were on blitzes and both were miscommunications in the coverage. On the TD both the safety and CB blitzed, zero shot both were supposed to. On the TE seam route the LB passed off the out route but didnt get eyes back inside.

This team has a shot, like 2006. But unlike 2006 we do not have our Devraun Thompson yet. We need our LBs to be our attitude setter and missing MT and TP is killing us right now.

Bonus. We kick off, punt, kick FGs, and snap the ball well.
Very solid write-up though I don't entirely agree with the following:

2. AR isn't going to be RB 2a or 2b once everyone is fully healthy. A.) He got tossed like a rag doll pass blocking in one sequence. Needs to get stronger to effectively do that job which is not surprising for a true freshman who only arrived over the summer. B.) JB will eat into some of his snaps when he returns since he's a change of pace back who can pass block.
3. The right side of our OL is going to be an issue all year. KA got beat badly on one play and I don't think that was a speed rusher. Maybe I am wrong on that one. But the right side is going to hamstring us against better pass rushes. Hopefully they get better as the year wears on but I'm not optimistic right now.
4. AK is a game manager, to have him throw 19 times in the first half and the selection of pass plays called made no sense. KC took too many risks and dialed it back hard in the 2nd half and things looked great. He's going to throw more interceptions than GW because they are not limiting the playbook or areas of the field. He also throws a catchable ball too so that also benefits the D as much as our WRs...lol.

If anyone can't follow the initials, you should be asking how well do you really know the team. 😋 If you need any assistance with the ones in this thread, I charge $5 per transcription request. Please send me private message requests. 🤣

Reactions: gef21
Very solid write-up though I don't entirely agree with the following:

2. AR isn't going to be RB 2a or 2b once everyone is fully healthy. A.) He got tossed like a rag doll pass blocking in one sequence. Needs to get stronger to effectively do that job which is not surprising for a true freshman who only arrived over the summer. B.) JB will eat into some of his snaps when he returns since he's a change of pace back who can pass block.
3. The right side of our OL is going to be an issue all year. KA got beat badly on one play and I don't think that was a speed rusher. Maybe I am wrong on that one. But the right side is going to hamstring us against better pass rushes. Hopefully they get better as the year wears on but I'm not optimistic right now.
4. AK is a game manager, to have him throw 19 times in the first half and the selection of pass plays called made no sense. KC took too many risks and dialed it back hard in the 2nd half and things looked great. He's going to throw more interceptions than GW because they are not limiting the playbook or areas of the field. He also throws a catchable ball too so that also benefits the D as much as our WRs...lol.

If anyone can't follow the initials, you should be asking how well do you really know the team. 😋 If you need any assistance with the ones in this thread, I charge $5 per transcription request. Please send me private message requests. 🤣
I hurr my brain on KA but got it. You are just not enough of a fan to spell his name out! 😜

The couple of rushed horrible passes seamed to come from a breakdown of some sorts on the right side of the OL.
Kyle M- just a beast and 90% of coaches would have kept him in longer to do a few things- make the national name, run it up a bit.
But Greg decided 200 is good enough and let’s save him for the big games.
But dude is still a beast and will be a difference between a win and loss in at least 3-4 B1G games
Love that none Rutgers announcers are saying he may be the best RB in the country.
Not sure who the backup on D is number 15 but what the heck on that 70 run- how are you still defending a WR when a RB is already 20 yds past the LOS?

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I have really liked the designed level roll outs with him. I almost think its an RPO with KF coming across the formation and the read hand off to KM. If the ball is pulled Athan rolls reading the OLB to either throw the ball to KF or turn up. We have scored twice off of it and had a third big gain.
Yeah.. that's a real nice RPO. Last weeks someone pointed out to me the RPO throws.. I was focused on keep or run.. and went back and forts between thinking AK was doing real reads.. a first for us even though we have tried to implement an RPO for years across two OCs.. but when I saw those little throws.. yeah.. they were RPOs and highly effective ones.. when on target.

The couple of rushed horrible passes seamed to come from a breakdown of some sorts on the right side of the OL.
You know.. the long pass TD from Akron showed what that was supposed to look like.. I think the difference was that AK was still in the mechanics of the RPO when the breakdown in coverage occurred.. and teh Akron QB was passing all the way and saw the DB blitz... maybe even predicted it and looked for it. Was a real good job by him and I think that is one of the greatest assets of the best QBs.. take a look at the D and figure out who is going to do what before they do it... even if they guess wrong they will be mentally prepared for either case.. DB blitz or no, for example.

I'd love to know what the coverage screwup was.. TV showed a livid Schiano on teh sidelines "welcoming" his 2nd team D.. but I couldn't figure out if he singled out anyone. But it seems there was a clear error... Perhaps the blitz was not called?

In any case... its a good thing AK experienced that before VTech. Hope he remembers it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT