ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts

Decent assessment.

I would debate your QB assessment of B/B+. I think our bar has just been too low. We’re seeing C+ play right now. We’ve just had D grading at QB the last few years before.

Agree that the defense doesn’t seem to be as special as hyped in preseason. And it’s the missing LBs for sure.
My guess is we haven’t seen 20 percent of the defensive playbook yet.

No it doesn't give him a leg up. He drops in the pecking order as they return.

Notice he didn't get many carries in the first half. His first carry was late in the 2nd quarter and he was 2 for 5 yds. He got 2 carries early in the 3rd quarter which brought him to 4 for 16 yards.

For the 2nd game in a row, most of his yards came in the 4th quarter against tired legs. If Sam Brown was available he's touching the ball more than 4 times over that same period and shares more of the load with Kyle.

That's all you need to know at the pecking order. Raymond is going to be real good over the next few years but right now too many of you are pumping him up over stats accumulated when the game is out of reach already.
Brown had three carries for seven yards midway through the 3rd qtr vs Howard.

RB2's don't get a ton of carries, especially when a guy like Monangai is setting personnel records.

And now Brown, who struggled with injuries all last year, has now missed a game due to injury. Will he be fully healthy when he returns? Who knows. The door is open for that #2 spot and Raymond has made a good case that he is that guy.

Reactions: gef21
One thing not mentioned was the staffs confidence in the offense to make the final drive in the first half. In years past, RU would have made a few runs and let the clock expire. This year we matched down the field looking to score 7. Not afraid of a turnover, but confident in passing & run game to go for it

Another step up for the program.
Second game in a row with a good two minute score.

Reactions: RC71 and Rufaninga
Great summary and insights. Thanks!

I am probably in the minority here, but I am not sold on our LB play. I think they lack a lot of discipline and struggle quite a bit when the QB is mobile. That is a position of concern heading VT.

Agree with poster noting OL issues. Early on they struggled to get push and were slow on blitz pickups.
LB is currently the weakest part of the defense by far and possibly the entire team. Will cost Rutgers games going forward this season.

Reactions: ScarletNut
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT