ADVERTISEMENT

Can Grello make 165 next year?

rpiseman

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Heard Joe is coming back, assuming we don’t get Shane can he make 165?

I'm actually very surprised to hear he is coming back (unless he can make 165) because there is no way he going over Turley if he is healthy. Unless Turley's injury is worse than they thought/needs surgery and the best course of action would be to have him redshirt.

Shocked to see him back.
I don't think he can get down to 165. I also don't think he will wrestle over Turley. I really hope this doesn't mean Turley is out next year!

I'm actually very surprised to hear he is coming back (unless he can make 165) because there is no way he going over Turley if he is healthy. Unless Turley's injury is worse than they thought/needs surgery and the best course of action would be to have him redshirt.
I really hope this is not the case. Unless he wants tocome back as a walk on why have someone back who simply cannt help at this point?

Grello coming back is a good thing! At the very worst, he'll contribute in practice room. At the very best, he'll wrestle out of his mind. Now that he knows how good Turley is, Grello will wrestle relaxed and have fun doing it - something that he didn't do in the past.

Obviously there is technically a possibility that he can be nationalchampion. However there is literally zero practical reason to expect that it is also a hugewaste financially. We need to trycan do whatever we can to close griffith and if not griffith than what ever 165 who is the best. This lineup with a good 165 vs a huge liability there is a major step closer to a trophy.

Grello coming back is a good thing! At the very worst, he'll contribute in practice room. At the very best, he'll wrestle out of his mind. Now that he knows how good Turley is, Grello will wrestle relaxed and have fun doing it - something that he didn't do in the past.

At the very worst he will contribute to the room AND he will take up scholarship money which can be used to attract much needed upgrades and/or depth in the upper half of the weight classes. So the net effect is much worse if there is money tied to his return. I knew how good Turley was LAST year from the limited times I watched him and his high school films. If Joe didnt figure that out last year and this past season, he most likely wont figure it out going forward. I still want to know why Turley didnt start the entire year. Weight, grades, discipline, respect for the incumbent? It's semi mind boggling to me.

At the very worst he will contribute to the room AND he will take up scholarship money which can be used to attract much needed upgrades and/or depth in the upper half of the weight classes. So the net effect is much worse if there is money tied to his return. I knew how good Turley was LAST year from the limited times I watched him and his high school films. If Joe didnt figure that out last year and this past season, he most likely wont figure it out going forward. I still want to know why Turley didnt start the entire year. Weight, grades, discipline, respect for the incumbent? It's semi mind boggling to me.
Can you imagine if Turley didn’t get the start for B10? Like even after teching the Minnesota kid(who was ranked 10-15) Turley still wasn’t named the starter yet...

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Scholarship money---It is my understanding that when the NCAA granted this a free year(in all sports) they had to adjust scholarships. Any 5th year senior(or senior that has competed 4 years, including this year) and decides to come back, will NOT count against the 9.9 scholarship allocation. It is up to each school whether they will pay the scholarship(they do not have to). The NCAA had to do something like this because of incoming recruits, promise of more money when seniors leave etc etc. Think of Iowa, they are bringing back like 5 or 6 big time seniors(who most are high % scholarship guys). If that counted against the 9.9 they would have a nightmare with recruits and current rostered guys dividing up money.

Grello has been a Rutgers wrestler for 5 years. If he wants to come back, there’s a roster spot for him. You can’t be cutting program guys and scholarships from guys who have worked that long. That sets and awful precedent and is not a good look for potential recruits.

Reactions: RUBOWLMAN78
Grello has been a Rutgers wrestler for 5 years. If he wants to come back, there’s a roster spot for him. You can’t be cutting program guys and scholarships from guys who have worked that long. That sets and awful precedent and is not a good look for potential recruits.
That goes without saying.

I think most people assumed he, on his own accord, might not want to come back for a 6th year knowing that he more than likely won't be starting unless he can make 165 somehow and assuming we don't land Griffith. Given those factors, it makes sense that someone in that situation might be fine with moving on and being done with school.

Joe might need some courses to finish his MBA so why not come back with the same money he was getting this year.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
He'd be in the portal
That's a good point and a possibility. Before the season started, I had asked about his potential to take the spot. No one answered. Then I became concerned that he might have failed to progress. Why he wasn't given at least an opportunity to win the position remains a mystery. Perhaps loyalty to Grello but that discounts fairness to Turley and what might have been best for the team. Same situation with Aguilar. However, I think Aguilar had and has potential if he gets his head back on straight.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Could be a loyalty thing. Perhaps Grello is really good and stingy against Turley in the room. Same could be said for Donner starting last year while Jackson was listed as 165. I know he had some weight issues but not sure if it was why we didn't see him at 165. Perhaps the lack of having to make weight, made making weight a challenge (just like Sammy this past season).

I haven't written off Aguilar. He was very good. Saw a few posts about lack of focus or the covid year affecting his training. Just hope he can put in the strength training. If he doesn't make any gains then it's evident that he doesn't have the burning desire to win. Just glad Shawver is there cause based on what I hear and see on IG, he's a worker and 100% committed.

That said I'm glad that Turley's stock has catapulted. Watching his H.S. matches, I knew he'd be great.

I think this is the best Rutgers has looked from a complete lineup standpoint. Our depth is taking form. Can't wait to get more Booms!

That's a good point and a possibility. Before the season started, I had asked about his potential to take the spot. No one answered. Then I became concerned that he might have failed to progress. Why he wasn't given at least an opportunity to win the position remains a mystery. Perhaps loyalty to Grello but that discounts fairness to Turley and what might have been best for the team. Same situation with Aguilar. However, I think Aguilar had and has potential if he gets his head back on straight.

I must have missed that post. I have been a fan of Turkey since I saw his first tape once he committed to Rutgers. We will probably never know what happened behind the scenes last year or this one (last year might have been development/weight related). Maybe this free year had something to do with it along with the loyalty to Joe. Might have been the plan all along to transition him right into the B1G tourney. I was very glad to see Turley get his well deserved shot.

Reactions: njsportsphan
I haven't written off Aguilar. He was very good. Saw a few posts about lack of focus or the covid year affecting his training. Just hope he can put in the strength training. If he doesn't make any gains then it's evident that he doesn't have the burning desire to win.
I'd say the California training regiment didn't work. Weren't him and Glasgow roomies or best buds and he went out to train with Aguilar? I have to wonder what that training really entailed

... Before the season started, I had asked about his potential to take the spot. No one answered...
I must have missed that post...

Happy to help. There actually were several:

174 - I'm interested in reading some opinions here. Turley was cutting too much weight last season in my opinion. He was also less successful in making weight. 174 puts him 8lbs under his high school weight but has to be more comfortable for him. I'm wondering if he has any chance against Grello...
...At 174, I'd like to see some competition between Grello and Turley. I thought Turley had more upside coming in but I hear very little about him. Can he successfully challenge Grello?
...Does Turley not have a chance against Grello?
...I'm still hoping Turley can successfully challenge Grello.
I had hoped to see Turley this year but...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT