ADVERTISEMENT

Can we score?

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
Against Nebraska, that's the million dollar question.
We will not run on them if we can't throw it, not with sustained success.
They have two excellent receivers that are going to make plays, can we make plays?

It's gonna be tough!

Boy Zap its gonna be tough, that Fanbase is going to be RABID!!!!
after the debacle of Saturday.
gonna be a real tough place to play next week.
Whens the last time Nebraska lost back to back at home??? ever?
hopefully a dose of success on our part yesterday contributes to confidence and a winning mindset!

I don't think we can win with the mindset of we need establish the run.
If we think we can pound them, we're gonna lose.
Heaving balls downfield, coupled with pounding them is not a game plan.

We've got to look like, wow, where has this offense been, so unpredictable ...whatever that is.

I think our O has to keep their D off balance. Too much predictivity and we won't go anywhere on offense. My bet is that they will do exactly what our last two opponents have down on D, stack up 7 or 8 bodies the box and wait for us to try and run it up the middle. That will be even harder against their stout D. My biggest fear is that we haven't given Bolin enough passing opportunities. Which means that it will be a long day.

I liked the game plan used for Washington, get the ball out fast. But this time occasionally heave it down field to our fastest receiver. Hopefully they hit on that heave. The game is absolutely winnable but pretty difficult to do so.

On the surface, this looks like two bad teams playing each other with the perception of everything being equal. Other than the "Al's" on this board, we need to realize that this is going to be a really rough road trip. As already noted above, their fan base is going to be foaming at the mouth. We are a W on every Neb. fans calendar.
This is a game that may be winnable for us, but only if we pull out all the stops and open up the imagination play book. I totally agree with Zap that we just can't play our usual game and hope to win. Time for Ash and Kill to show us that they can be unpredictable. Time to take some real chances!

Agree with Zap as well. We learned little yesterday. Need to demonstrate some balance so that opposing defenses respect our ability to pass. One complements the other.

Reactions: RUJMM78
We'll need more plays like the Lewis fake run, then pass to TE.

We'll need to really keep them wondering. That's how we're going to surprise them. I think if given the chance by Kill and Ash, Lewis can have some big busted play carries for us this week if they have to respect his arm as well.

We also need more of Martin and less of Edwards. When Martin is carrying the ball, we move downfield more efficiently....especially when there are not big holes to go through. Martin is the better runner between tackles. He's not as big, but he runs with more power than Edwards.

We'll also need our short passing game like we had against Washington. Jerome Washington catching passes.... and Martin running the rock are going to have big games for us....as long as the O-line gives us the time we need with pass protection, and can open holes even a sliver....to allow Martin to do his thing.

We really haven't gotten the ball to our big play guys in space. Grant, Martin, and now Blackshear and Melton need to get the ball in their hands as soon as possible. Washington looks like he could be a legit player on Sundays. We have the weapons we just need to get the ball in this hands.

Reactions: winRU
We need to blitz Nebraska! 7 interceptions in the last 2 games due to pressure on the OB. I believe we have the Defense to hold them under 20 points. If we do? We can walk away with this win. The Huskers could easily be 0-3 this season.

They have two excellent receivers that are going to make plays, can we make plays?

It's gonna be tough!
I'm Afraid they may go back to play not to lose against Nebraska which means very conservative again.

I'm Afraid they may go back to play not to lose against Nebraska which means very conservative again.

Well this is where we will see if Ash has grown as a Coach! I know Kill loves to run it to shorten the clock and that's not a bad thing. He is a proven winner with that approach, This game he really needs to mix it up to come away with the win!

It's gonna be tough!
Nebraska's defense was horrific against Arkansas State who piled up nearly 600 yards (and only lost because of turnovers) and Oregon who piled up nearly 600 yards. That bodes well for RU's offense. That's if they can get their sh!t together and no lay eggs like they did against EMU.

If Tanner Lee plays, expect some defensive points by RU.

If a backup QB plays for Nebraska, that has tended to be the kiss of death for RU.

We've got to look like, wow, where has this offense been, so unpredictable ...whatever that is.
Zap you need to give it a little time we are in what our 7th OC in 7 yrs or there abouts. It's not all going to click overnight. It's going to take more than 3 games to sort it out. We have been in the perfect storm for OC's which is why we are where we are today

There might be a reason we haven't seen underneath routes and bubbles yet.

Nebraska's defense was horrific against Arkansas State who piled up nearly 600 yards (and only lost because of turnovers) and Oregon who piled up nearly 600 yards. That bodes well for RU's offense. That's if they can get their sh!t together and no lay eggs like they did against EMU.

If Tanner Lee plays, expect some defensive points by RU.

If a backup QB plays for Nebraska, that has tended to be the kiss of death for RU.
Arkansas St threw 68 times.
Oregon is in the top the 25, their QB went 25 for 32 and over 300 yards, they were winning 42-7
We don't remotely resemble them

Last edited:
Arkansas St threw 68 times.
Oregon is in the top the 25, their QB went 25 for 32 and over 300 yards, they were winning 42-7
We don't remotely resemble them
Ark State still got 3.9 ypc on runs
Oregon got 4.6 ypc

RU got 3.1 YPC against a stingy UW defense.
But we laid an egg against EMU. We'll see how we do soon enough.

Reactions: zappaa
If we cannot score against Nebraska it is going to be a very long season. While we might not be great this year, neither are they.

Reactions: soundcrib
I agree...my only point is, as bad as Nebraska is, If Ash is stubborn and thinks we can beat them by playing one dimensional, predictable, protect the football, power football... we won't score.
I said before the season started that we would not know what we had until we played Nebraska.
1. UW- it was smart to play it conservative and control the time of possession.
2. EMU- hopefully it was the WTF game and things were just out of whack.
3. Morgan- hard to draw any conclusions as it was a glorified scrimmage.
4. Nebraska- we will see what we got.
5. Looking ahead to tOSU--just hoping to avoid a total blowout. How loud will the crowd cheer for Greg Schiano?

Reactions: madchuck
Ok a few things

1 coach k is an asst at 60 for a reason. his 'proven winner' nonsense by many here is grossly overblown.
2. Nu coach playing for his job
3. Nu players will have heard, benn beaten into their minds, u dont lose to rutgers with our history and tradition. theyll be playingfor the ghosts
4. Nu not laying down 2 weeks in a rowm. They will be hungry and angry
5. Rutgers is just what they need to right the ship

Play like we played vs Washington and we can home with a win. Control the ball and keep Nebraska offense off the field and at the same time put points on the scoreboard. Washington hurt us with two big plays. No need to throw caution to the wind....just pound away, dink and dunk with no interceptions. And of course do not get intimidated by the 90,000+ home crowd. Defensively let's not give the big play on 3rd downs and especially 3rd and long. For the most part our run defense has been decent and as seen vs Washington very tough inside the 20. Rutgers can win this game and recapture momentum it lost vs EMU.

They have had alot of bad turnovers this year. If that continues, we may not need a stellar offense.

Play like we played vs Washington and we can home with a win. Control the ball and keep Nebraska offense off the field and at the same time put points on the scoreboard. Washington hurt us with two big plays. No need to throw caution to the wind....just pound away, dink and dunk with no interceptions. And of course do not get intimidated by the 90,000+ home crowd. Defensively let's not give the big play on 3rd downs and especially 3rd and long. For the most part our run defense has been decent and as seen vs Washington very tough inside the 20. Rutgers can win this game and recapture momentum it lost vs EMU.
Pounding away along with dinking and dunking won't get it done 62, they've seen the Washington tape...we have to be completely unpredictable

Pounding away along with dinking and dunking won't get it done 62, they've seen the Washington tape...we have to be completely unpredictable
Of course it wont. 62s post reads like coach speak. the uw gameplan didnt work or the coaches didnt adjust to fit the game when they should have.

We need to open thr field to win as we're not winning a majority of the one to one battles

I'd like to see more snaps under center.. especially when we are ready to run and they know we are going to run. Then do the play-action to the TE or even the FB.

When we get 2nd and 1.. especially in their territory which might be thought of a 4 down territory.. take your SHOT downfield on 2nd and short.. from a run-look formation.

How many times did we run it into the teeth of a 9-in-the-box look? How many times did we come out in a tight formation that begged for a 9-in-the-box look and then we run it?

I understand that maybe we don't want to give too much away vs a Morgan State.. and maybe we are changing out personnel and are more interested in seeing what the players can do on certain plays and don't really care what the D is doing.. it is Morgan State.. but given the dismal outing vs EMU, I thought we would be more creative.

We did have the one nice playaction and the jump pass.. which played on the run into the stacked box thing.... we just need MORE of that.. imo.

Ok a few things

1 coach k is an asst at 60 for a reason. his 'proven winner' nonsense by many here is grossly overblown.
3. Nu players will have heard, benn beaten into their minds, u dont lose to rutgers with our history and tradition. theyll be playingfor the ghosts
Coach Kill is an assistant because he has a seizure disorder. There is no other reason.

Reactions: RUDutch
Opponents keeping the football away from Grant who is a play maker makes it easier to defend Rutgers.I doubt Rutgers has the offense to sustain long drives against B1G competition unless the passing attack shows marked improvement.

We we have to pressure this qb into a few mistakes. he can't beat us if he's under heavy pressure . turn Tanner Lee into Stagger Lee and we have a shot.

Ok a few things

Your moniker really should be ..." MYHEADUPMYARSH"...you add nothing to the board with you incessant anti Rutgers...this game will show if we can compete against a so called perennial power... it will not be easy going there after their recent loss... don't think our team will not fight...like manyRU fans and alums I just want them to continue to gain confidence... improve ... play smart hard nosed football...as for your Jerry Kill 60 year old line... he's an assistant who is attempting to turn around the Rutgers program...if Kill had he not been sick several years ago he would still be be at Minnesota.... Fleck would not be coaching Minnesota ...he may not be Urban or Nick but he is a well respected coach...

Reactions: jeffro5
Your moniker really should be ..." MYHEADUPMYARSH"...you add nothing to the board with you incessant anti Rutgers...this game will show if we can compete against a so called perennial power... it will not be easy going there after their recent loss... don't think our team will not fight...like manyRU fans and alums I just want them to continue to gain confidence... improve ... play smart hard nosed football...as for your Jerry Kill 60 year old line... he's an assistant who is attempting to turn around the Rutgers program...if Kill had he not been sick several years ago he would still be be at Minnesota.... Fleck would not be coaching Minnesota ...he may not be Urban or Nick but he is a well respected coach...
Lol....anti Rutgers..

Wake me when I'm wrong. you and others have your heads up your arshes. what have you seen from this staff that makes you think Im wrong

NU 27
Rutgers 14

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT