ADVERTISEMENT

Cappie or Arella

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
I've heard many comparisons of the two.
Who do you like, and in what way?
What are their strengths, or weakness's .
If you aren't mature enough to have seen Cappie play, don't enter,
Will Arella go on to a WNBA, and overseas career? Or journalism/modeling stint?
We all know about Cappie's pro career, Russia, Turkey etc life. Team USA team, etc. Cappie's got a fashion/modeling career at this time.

OK, have at it.

I'll take a different tack and just say that Arella could some day accomplish on Cappie's level. Doesn't mean she will, but I see similarities. Cappie is arguably - because it is hard to compare eras - one of the 50 or so greatest players ever. A very accomplished pro career as you state.

I have no idea what the future holds for Arella, and not being around I only see select games on TV. But she is clearly as the expression goes "all that". Really enjoyed watching today.

Saw both. Arella is great but Cappie did it over an extended period. Arella certainly has shown that ability but Cappie had 4 years at that level.

Reactions: shields
I actually think Arella is fairly unique as far as the guards CVS has had at RU--her style of play is different than either Cappie or Prince, who both were first team all Americans at RU. She's kind of a mix between a SF and a SG; while they were pure guards. She's a shoo-in for first team all big ten, and the improvements from her first to second year here are immense. If she continues on this trajectory...

To jump back in, I definitely think Arella could play in the pros if she keeps on the trajectory she’s on. She has the ability to get her own shot, which you need at the next level. She can still be a streaky shooter, and I think she can get better at driving to the basket. I also think she’ll need an even more sure 3-pt shot at the next level.

At this point though, the comparisons to Cappie are unfair. Cappie was named one of the top 20 WNBA players of the league first 20 years. She was a WNBA finals MVP. She was a legitimate national player of the year candidate at RU. Her shooting percentages at RU were unreal-she was unguardable. She and Wicks are easily the top two players to ever play at RU.

To jump back in, I definitely think Arella could play in the pros if she keeps on the trajectory she’s on. She has the ability to get her own shot, which you need at the next level. She can still be a streaky shooter, and I think she can get better at driving to the basket. I also think she’ll need an even more sure 3-pt shot at the next level.

At this point though, the comparisons to Cappie are unfair. Cappie was named one of the top 20 WNBA players of the league first 20 years. She was a WNBA finals MVP. She was a legitimate national player of the year candidate at RU. Her shooting percentages at RU were unreal-she was unguardable. She and Wicks are easily the top two players to ever play at RU.
I'm with you on this topic. Arella is so young in her career and has so much work to do to be compared with a basketball legend such as Cappie Pondexter. Cappie was a player of the highest-caliber when she came in the door at RU. In her prime, I truly felt like she was the best female basketball player in the world (Yes,...I gave her the nod over Candace Parker). She was my favorite player....men or women. I wish I could have seen some of her overseas play.
Arella is playing out-of-her-mind this year. Cappie played out-of-this -world for the bulk of her entire career. We are so blessed to have had them both choose to bring their talents to Rutgers.

I can't wait to see what Arella can do with more horses next year. Johnson, Cornwell, Walker, improved Davenport, etc.

Reactions: TRU2RU

agree here...different players. Arella bigger size has more weapons but sheer ability and talent its Cappie no doubt and Cappie had a better surrounding cast though. Arella is virtually willing her shots in with the toughest of defenses on her.

First, you have to include Sue Wicks in the conversation. But right now Cappie >>> Arella because the top of the old Big East was better than the top of B1G right now, and Cappie was dominant. The game to remember is the 48-42 win over UConn, where she scored 26, and basically won it for RU.

Reactions: RUClassof67
I'll take the easy way out.
Different era players are hard to judge when it comes to who's the best (name team) player to ever play for that program or just compare two.
Especially when one only has time to accomplish more, because her Rutgers career isn't over

For now, I'll go with Cappie because of what she accomplished in her 4 years at Rutgers :
First Team Kodak/WBCA All-American 2006 Women's Basketball News Service National Player of the Year.,averaged 18.3 points per game, 4.4 rebounds per game and 1.8 steals per game in 121 games played. Ranking second in all-time scoring (2,211), first in three-point field goal percentage (.426), sixth in assists (470)
Year Team GP Points FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
2002-03 Rutgers 29 532 47.7 35.8 79.8 5.1 4.9 1.8 0.2 18.3
2003-04 Rutgers 33 592 41.7 38.1 76.9 4.6 4.3 1.8 0.1 17.9
2004-05 Rutgers 27 397 46.0 45.8 79.1 3.5 3.1 1.8 0.3 14.7
2005-06 Rutgers 32 690 48.3 48.8 81.0 4.2 3.2 1.7 0.1 21.6
Career
121 2211 45.8 42.6 79.2 4.4 3.9 1.8 0.2 18.3

edit:
Arella Guirantes so far (TT & RU) with one to go

Team
G Min FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT% OR DR Reb Ast TO Stl Blk Pts
2016-17 TTU 27 28 3.8 9.2 41.1 0.6 2.2 25.4 1.9 2.1 87.9 0.9 3.9 4.8 1.3 2.5 1.1 1.0 10.0
2018-19 RUTG 29 28 4.5 11.4 39.3 0.8 3.0 25.6 2.0 2.4 84.3 1.4 3.0 4.4 1.5 1.4 1.2 0.3 11.8
2019-20 RUTG 26 37 6.8 16.4 41.5 1.2 3.1 37.5 5.2 6.6 77.9 1.4 4.9 6.3 3.4 3.1 1.5 1.2 19.9
Total - 82 31 5.0 12.3 40.7 0.8 2.7 29.8 3.0 3.7 81.3 1.2 3.9 5.1 2.0 2.3 1.3 0.8 13.8

Last edited:
I actually think Arella is fairly unique as far as the guards CVS has had at RU--her style of play is different than either Cappie or Prince, who both were first team all Americans at RU. She's kind of a mix between a SF and a SG; while they were pure guards. She's a shoo-in for first team all big ten, and the improvements from her first to second year here are immense. If she continues on this trajectory...
Not so sure about "shoo-in" based on the fact she only got honorable mention for the weekly award, which is absurd IMHO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT