ADVERTISEMENT

Carino: Rutgers hoops freshmen need more playing time

As interesting is the article where Jordan blames himself for not getting Mack and especially Jack to play better. He goes on to say he should have done more pick and rolls and get Jack closer to the basket.

If Jordan self reflects, identifies what he did wrong, and then makes appropriate adjustments there is hope.

Good job by Carino. I wonder if there's any of the young guys glued to the bench because Jordan's had indications that the kid won't be back for 14-15 season.

Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:
Good job by Carino. I wonder if there's any of the young guys glued to the bench because Jordan's had indications that the kid won't be back for 14-15 season.
Happens all the time here so it would not surprise me at all.

Sounds great but they haven't shown enough to deserve more time in my opinion. Play the best guys has always been my philosophy. Prove you deserve more time by what you show in practice. If you play well in games you should get more time but they have been pretty bad to me.

Col. -- in an ideal world you are absolutely right. But, these kids have parents and AAU coaches and advisors and general hangers-on who are all telling them that, hey "you're the man". So a kid like Doorson ... who's whispering in his ear that he should have played more, he's wasted a year, blah, blah, blah and could use a redshirt to work on his game at XYZ College? Now you've seen the RU program and staff up close and personal for a season, and maybe either your trust or optimism has changed. Or maybe the grass always looks greener. Playing time is one way a coach can keep a kid on board and the entourage out of his ear.

Jerry is right. Williams and Foreman both should have played quite a bit against Maryland in the second half. Foreman scored 15 against Purdue and was our best player against them and never got off the bench in the second half vs. Maryland. Williams played great in the first half vs. Maryland and only played the last 55 seconds vs. Maryland in the second half. Doorson I don't think would have had a good matchup vs. Maryland as their two bigs both shot a few 3's and I don't think doorson would have done that well guarding them away from the basket. Hopefully all 3 freshmen get good minutes tomorrow.

Originally posted by ColonelRutgers:
Sounds great but they haven't shown enough to deserve more time in my opinion. Play the best guys has always been my philosophy. Prove you deserve more time by what you show in practice. If you play well in games you should get more time but they have been pretty bad to me.
I agree with you......but we have lost 13 straight games. The 5 that are getting the majority of the minutes are ALL to blame.

PLUS Mike Williams had a solid 7 minutes in half 1 vs. Maryland, but Jordan stayed with the current 5 that were clearly going thru the motions on defense (although Maryland never capitalized) for the 1st 12 minutes of the 2nd half.

With the season a basic waste weeks ago. Why hasn't Jordan emphasized developing guys for next year?

Foreman and Williams should have played in the second half. We made no substitutions after taking out Kone and then when the game was out of reach.

Not like these players ahead of the upperclass are sophmores or juniors. Both foreman and williams know they can have starting minutes next year in a good conference. I don't think they will leave. It's one thing if Mack and Jack were playing horrible basketball, but they're not. KJ has been a force on the boards the past couple of games and Mack is Mack.

One win isn't going to matter much at this point. Do service to KJ and Mack by giving them their time if they are somewhat earning it which they are. Without KJ the past couple of games, we lose by 50.

Williams and Foreman both have an opportunity to start next year if they want it. I think they'll both be back.

What I am hoping for the offseason is that Eddie sits down and asks himself, "What can make RU basketball successful?"

I know that sounds like an obvious question, but it's really time to do a stock take and develop a plan on where we are and what we have to offer. There are teams all over the country who will be dancing this spring whose situation/setting/resources are NOT as good as ours.

What did Brad Stevens do at Butler that led to their amazing success? What about Gonzaga? What is causing NJIT to have even a modicum of success?

We have resources and advantages. We all know them. We also have deficits and disadvantages. We know them, too. People have speculated on how many years this will take, and realistically, where we are today. The aspect of our current situation that has me most concerned is that I don't see us looking like we are playing smart, well-coached basketball. We aren't playing at or above our talent level most of the time.

So what to do? I think in part, Eddie needs to have a serious heart-to-heart with JH and generate a plan. Maybe we need a great X and O guy to come in and help develop a plan. Or someone on the staff who is great at player development.

Again, maybe this all sounds obvious, but look at football. KF appears to be working his rear off to get better at his job. And, I think, the Fridge was an immense help (sorry on the pun). Probably not just with the O, but with how to run a show in general.

I'm happy to stay the course for another couple of years, but man am I hoping for some real signs of improvement.

I don't think ace recruiters are lining up for the Rutgers position after a 10-win, last-place finish.

Jordan has two years to turn it around. Would an attractive assistant candidate view this as a good option?

This post was edited on 3/6 6:14 PM by Aggs

Originally posted by Aggs:
I don't think ace recruiters are lining up for the Rutgers position after a 10-win, last-place finish by Eddie.

If some fans see the writing on the wall, college assistants are well aware of the position Jordan's in.
right but it was after one season last year he hired OKoren, that was the mistake. I still wonder how Macon a guy who was here under Rice can still be an assistant here..that makes no sense even if he had nothing to do with the Rice antics nor was he a Baby Rice

O'Koren should be in a non-recruiting role.

We know he's Eddie's right-hand man, but does he actually recruit? We could use him but we can also use another recruiter on the staff.
This post was edited on 3/6 6:18 PM by Aggs

he is valuable in teaching big men, but I rarely see Eddie rely on assistants during the game..not like how other coaches do.

Aggs, 200,000 is pretty marketable to almost anyone. Just depends.

Main recruiters on Rutgers i believe are EJ, Macon and Shoes.

In Rutgers current state of futility its unrealistic to expect significant improvement in recruiting because Jordan has nothing to sell.Improving individual skills by better coaching is the only way out right now but history has shown that has only marginal benefits.Playing time should be used only if a bench player has shown in practice that he has earned the time .The bottom line is that Rutgers has players that should be playing at a lower level of competition.The seasons keep passing and the results remain the same.

By mst agree EJ isnt particularly gifted at coaching at the college level.

Its cool to say he coached Kobe but he doesnt exactly LISTEN to anyone.....
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I hope EJ learned a lot this year and figures the college game out.

ETOU can be as good as he decides to be
Doorson hustles and is developing
Williams may surprise us..we can only hope
Lewis is back
DJ is quick and shows flashes of good play

add a few new guys...........

we might be OK next year,,,by ok I mean a little better than THIS year

gotta be hopeful in the off season....

Originally posted by mikefla:
By mst agree EJ isnt particularly gifted at coaching at the college level.

Its cool to say he coached Kobe but he doesnt exactly LISTEN to anyone.....
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I hope EJ learned a lot this year and figures the college game out.

ETOU can be as good as he decides to be
Doorson hustles and is developing
Williams may surprise us..we can only hope
Lewis is back
DJ is quick and shows flashes of good play

add a few new guys...........

we might be OK next year,,,by ok I mean a little better than THIS year

gotta be hopeful in the off season....
Great post - nice to see some positivity from you.

I'm really excited to see Diallo next year. He has the "you're not scoring on me" attitude that, unfortunately, was not shared by all of the starters this year. (I don't expect much from him on offense next year.)

Aside from improving perimeter shooting, I'm hoping the new guys like Goode, K. Johnson & R. Johnson can provide depth so we can run the press more often. It has worked well the past couple games, but with only three scholarship guards (with minutes strangely allocated) we can't run it as often as we'd like.

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:
As interesting is the article where Jordan blames himself for not getting Mack and especially Jack to play better. He goes on to say he should have done more pick and rolls and get Jack closer to the basket.

If Jordan self reflects, identifies what he did wrong, and then makes appropriate adjustments there is hope.
which one is that. Would love to read that one. Frustrating to me is that Eddie is not in his first year...he seems slow to implement and adjust. As a head coach that is a major concern. Same with not seeing some of the bigger trends and contridictions.
Like saying you earn your time and then sitting Williams. Like saying you sometimes forget guys on the bench..but end of 2nd season you're still doing it.

And for a kid like Williams who just seemed to get his confidence back that could be a set back for him.

I really hope coach looks in the mirror, grabs the returning players and has a heart to heart with them and explains what is going to be different next year and why ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT