ADVERTISEMENT

CBSsports.com ranking every D1 school from #1 to #353

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
Ranking every college basketball team from No. 1 to 353 for 2019-20 and an interesting fact on every team

Here's the write for Rutgers:

72. Rutgers: Steve Pikiell has Rutgers at a truly respectable level -- having gone from 135 to 130 to 73 in the KenPom rankings in his time there -- and will rise yet again this season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...019-20-and-an-interesting-fact-on-every-team/

The rest of the B1G and a few others worth mentioning:
1. Michigan St.
5. Maryland
14. Ohio St.
19. Purdue
28. Wisconsin Really? way way too high
35. Illinois too high
38. Michigan Juwan Howard will determine the success level
59. Iowa can't believe they are ranked this high
72. Rutgers
74. Penn St.
79. Minnesota
97. Northwestern
115. Nebraska

111. St. John's not surprised considering the drama surrounding them
53. Pitt WTF? one out of six shots were blocked. that's not good
45. Georgetown
23. Seton Hall

Last edited:
344. Cleveland State - Gary Waters retired in 2017 and program took a nose dive
266. Monmouth - glow fading from King Rice
205. Fordham - Neubauer in trouble.
199. Iona - not looking great for the once highly touted Tim Clueless (sp)
158. Princeton - about avg for an Ivy
58. Syracuse - seems a bit high. Is Buddy Boeheim that good?
54. Connectict- might over acheive
53. Pittsburgh - our first big test

344. Cleveland State - Gary Waters retired in 2017 and program took a nose dive
266. Monmouth - glow fading from King Rice
205. Fordham - Neubauer in trouble.
199. Iona - not looking great for the once highly touted Tim Clueless (sp)
158. Princeton - about avg for an Ivy
58. Syracuse - seems a bit high. Is Buddy Boeheim that good?
54. Connectict- might over acheive
53. Pittsburgh - our first big test

History is going to look back at Gary Waters as an extremely underrated coach. Look at what happened to Rutgers and Cleveland State after he left.

Iona at 199 is a big swing and miss. The MAAC historically has multiple teams in the top 150. Last year was the exception. I think Iona and Rider will both be top 150.

History is going to look back at Gary Waters as an extremely underrated coach. Look at what happened to Rutgers and Cleveland State after he left.

Iona at 199 is a big swing and miss. The MAAC historically has multiple teams in the top 150. Last year was the exception. I think Iona and Rider will both be top 150.

Don’t forget the Fairfield Stags in the MAAC under Jay Young.

301. Fairfield: The Stags had promise under Sydney Johnson but could never maintain success in the MAAC, so in comes Jay Young, a longtime assistant who now has his first shot as a D-I coach. He'll rely on senior SG Landon Taliaferro.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Ranking every college basketball team from No. 1 to 353 for 2019-20 and an interesting fact on every team

Here's the write for Rutgers:

72. Rutgers: Steve Pikiell has Rutgers at a truly respectable level -- having gone from 135 to 130 to 73 in the KenPom rankings in his time there -- and will rise yet again this season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...019-20-and-an-interesting-fact-on-every-team/

The rest of the B1G and a few others worth mentioning:
1. Michigan St.
5. Maryland
14. Ohio St.
19. Purdue
28. Wisconsin Really? way way too high
35. Illinois too high
38. Michigan Juwan Howard will determine the success level
59. Iowa can't believe they are ranked this high
72. Rutgers
74. Penn St.
79. Minnesota
97. Northwestern
115. Nebraska

111. St. John's not surprised considering the drama surrounding them
53. Pitt WTF? one out of six shots were blocked. that's not good
45. Georgetown
23. Seton Hall

Curious why you think Illinois is too high. A couple of others have them even higher. Andy Katz has them #17. Vitale has them at #21.

The three leading scorers last season were two freshmen and a sophomore. Illinois was one of the youngest teams in the country and played one of the toughest schedules. They learned a lot and got to be pretty good late in the season. Beat Michigan State and forced Winston into 9 turnovers.

Ayo is projected as a lottery pick on multiple NBA sites. Last one I saw is #9 to the Timberwolves. If he lives up to that, Illinois will be tough.

Giorgi is one of the top big men in the league. Best footwork on the post of any UI big man since Deon Thomas.

Trent Frazier will end up as one of Illinois’ all time leading scorers. He’s been over 30 multiple times.

Andres Feliz was the number one jc point guard and got better and better last year as he adjusted to BT. He scored 29 late in the year and is a hard nosed kid from the Dominican who played for their national team.

Kofi Cockburn is a 7-0, 285 pound monster on the court. He has already broken one rim in practice. Highly rated recruit. Kofi and Giorgi together should give teams fits.

Other good pieces like former New York City POY 6-5 Alan Griffin and top 100 recruit 6-7 Tevian Jones. Benjamin Bosnans-Verdonk from Belgium is 6-8, 240 and shot 40% from three for Belgium’s junior national team. Underwood expects a lot from him this year.

And there’s still 6-6 senior Kipper Nichols who scored 31 against Iowa in the BT tourney the year before last but was slowed by injury last year. And returning starter DaMonte Williams, son of all time UI great Frank Williams.

Lots of ranked proven talent and depth. And now experience.

I think 35th is pretty reasonable. Why is it too high for you?

I think 72nd is too low for Rutgers, by the way. Even though I’m an Illinois fan, hopefully you’ve figured out the respect I have for your team.

Curious why you think Illinois is too high. A couple of others have them even higher. Andy Katz has them #17. Vitale has them at #21.

The three leading scorers last season were two freshmen and a sophomore. Illinois was one of the youngest teams in the country and played one of the toughest schedules. They learned a lot and got to be pretty good late in the season. Beat Michigan State and forced Winston into 9 turnovers.

Ayo is projected as a lottery pick on multiple NBA sites. Last one I saw is #9 to the Timberwolves. If he lives up to that, Illinois will be tough.

Giorgi is one of the top big men in the league. Best footwork on the post of any UI big man since Deon Thomas.

Trent Frazier will end up as one of Illinois’ all time leading scorers. He’s been over 30 multiple times.

Andres Feliz was the number one jc point guard and got better and better last year as he adjusted to BT. He scored 29 late in the year and is a hard nosed kid from the Dominican who played for their national team.

Kofi Cockburn is a 7-0, 285 pound monster on the court. He has already broken one rim in practice. Highly rated recruit. Kofi and Giorgi together should give teams fits.

Other good pieces like former New York City POY 6-5 Alan Griffin and top 100 recruit 6-7 Tevian Jones. Benjamin Bosnans-Verdonk from Belgium is 6-8, 240 and shot 40% from three for Belgium’s junior national team. Underwood expects a lot from him this year.

And there’s still 6-6 senior Kipper Nichols who scored 31 against Iowa in the BT tourney the year before last but was slowed by injury last year. And returning starter DaMonte Williams, son of all time UI great Frank Williams.

I think 72nd is too low for Rutgers, by the way. Even though I’m an Illinois fan, hopefully you’ve figured out the respect I have for your team.
I'm high on Illinois this year as well. I think they'll be one of the best teams in the conference and nationally ranked this season

Reactions: RutgHoops and LC-88

Once ran into one of his former players at Harvest Moon and he told us stories for hours about Waters' time here. He loved the guy, but painted him as, well, less than intelligent. The stories were hilarious, but I felt like the players really liked him and wanted to play for him, and that's h alf of coaching.

Illinois has to do what Iowa did last year and many people thought Iowa would struggle last year. When you add a Top 60-70 kid like Weiskamp and can shoot the ball, you're going to be in a lot of games.

With Illinois, I think the question is whether they're going to outscore enough teams like Iowa did, to win 10 or more B1G games. I haven't looked at their schedule, but my guess is they're at least .500 in league this year.

I think Illinois will finish strong and possibly be 35th but for now, there are still some moving parts. Also, like Rutgers, there were times Illinois was too inconsistent. If Illinois can resolve that problem, then the sky is the limit.
Btw, I think to start the season Illinois should be on the list in the range of 45 with the potential to finish somewhere between 25-35. Rutgers, IMO, Rutgers should start the season somewhere around 65. They have the potential to finish higher, just not sure how high. Maybe around 50.

I am going under on Illinois. Talent is great, but look at how they finished last year....probably hit the wall though.

Talent doesnt always win. Sometimes it is the steadying force of a unflashy upper classman with their hands on the ball late that wins games.

Sign me up for 10-10 on Illinois

I know Illinois has a lot of talent. I would not be surprised if they are higher than # 35.

Once ran into one of his former players at Harvest Moon and he told us stories for hours about Waters' time here. He loved the guy, but painted him as, well, less than intelligent. The stories were hilarious, but I felt like the players really liked him and wanted to play for him, and that's h alf of coaching.
If Waters had guys like Knight, Hobbs and Young on his staff, I think we would have danced.

Illinois was a lot like us, with their youth and inconsistency last year. I thought we matched up well with them and I look forward to another good battle this year.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Don’t forget the Fairfield Stags in the MAAC under Jay Young.

301. Fairfield: The Stags had promise under Sydney Johnson but could never maintain success in the MAAC, so in comes Jay Young, a longtime assistant who now has his first shot as a D-I coach. He'll rely on senior SG Landon Taliaferro.

My daughter is a senior there. Not a great sports school but there is some optimism with JY. The link below has a short video of Jay at a practice.

https://fairfieldstags.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

If Waters had guys like Knight, Hobbs and Young on his staff, I think we would have danced.

His biggest mistake was bringing his staff with him to RU. No local connections doomed him. Didn't know who Bob Hurley was. Loyal, good guy, who was better suited for a mid major in the midwest. But the tallest of the midgets we've had coaching here until the current staff arrived.

Reactions: ScarletR30
My daughter is a senior there. Not a great sports school but there is some optimism with JY. The link below has a short video of Jay at a practice.

https://fairfieldstags.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

I'm an alumni of FU. Played lacrosse there for a bit.
I wish they could turn around their hoops program. Last time they danced was 1996. They've lost in the MAAC finals (auto bid) 6 times since...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT