ADVERTISEMENT

Cheers I want to hear on Sunday (riot squad)

When Cliff makes a big dunk chant: " When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's AMORE!!!
Just the last 2 words—use the whole phrase and by that time everybody’s either down the other end or tangled up in a press—

Reactions: jonS
Here's a good suggestion and if done properly, it's pretty damn funny. Back in the day when I was at Rutgers (A10 champ days), we had a mini version of the Riot Squad. Our buddy Derek would announce/yell to the crowd who the "dork" of the game was going to be. It was almost always a white guy and if they looked dorky, even better. Every time the dork touched the ball, the students would yell "Dork!". The longer the ball was held by the dork, the longer the chant was drawn out. Soon as the ball was released by the dork, the chant stopped. Watching TV replays, the long drawn out chants were heard but the TV audience must have wondered what the chant was. The quick touches and the quick "dork" chant was crisp and clear, even on TV. Back then, we didn't pity the dork. Although I suppose in today's society, there would be backlash for picking on the dork.

Here's a good suggestion and if done properly, it's pretty damn funny. Back in the day when I was at Rutgers (A10 champ days), we had a mini version of the Riot Squad. Our buddy Derek would announce/yell to the crowd who the "dork" of the game was going to be. It was almost always a white guy and if they looked dorky, even better. Every time the dork touched the ball, the students would yell "Dork!". The longer the ball was held by the dork, the longer the chant was drawn out. Soon as the ball was released by the dork, the chant stopped. Watching TV replays, the long drawn out chants were heard but the TV audience must have wondered what the chant was. The quick touches and the quick "dork" chant was crisp and clear, even on TV. Back then, we didn't pity the dork. Although I suppose in today's society, there would be backlash for picking on the dork.
That chant was awful. The worst in the 45 year history of the RAC. Some of those “dorks” torched us, but that is not even why it was awful. And I bet your buddy Derek was pretty dorky himself. Certainly the vast majority of students chanting this were.

You want to go back in time - how about stomping the bleachers to - We will Rock You; other stuff is good - except for the Dork chant - which isn't - and don't even recall that.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Riot squad, you know what your job is. Let em have it. Get in their head like you did for Troy Murphy.

Reactions: motel00
Does the riot squad lurk around here?

Sorry new guy question.
Just seems like the banter is almost exclusively alumni talk.

That chant was awful. The worst in the 45 year history of the RAC. Some of those “dorks” torched us, but that is not even why it was awful. And I bet your buddy Derek was pretty dorky himself. Certainly the vast majority of students chanting this were.
To each their own. Maybe some of those dorks did torch us, but as a college age kid, it was pretty awesome. And you don't think an entire student section calling someone out will have any effect on the player's game? I guess we shouldn't make noise on defense or the students should wave their hands behind the basket during free throws. Derek was an odd duck but he wasn't dorky. From what I recall, the vast majority of the student section engaged in the chant, so in regards to your last sentence, I would say you are incorrect. That is unless you are referring to the majority of the student section as dorks. 🤔

To each their own. Maybe some of those dorks did torch us, but as a college age kid, it was pretty awesome. And you don't think an entire student section calling someone out will have any effect on the player's game? I guess we shouldn't make noise on defense or the students should wave their hands behind the basket during free throws. Derek was an odd duck but he wasn't dorky. From what I recall, the vast majority of the student section engaged in the chant, so in regards to your last sentence, I would say you are incorrect. That is unless you are referring to the majority of the student section as dorks. 🤔
Oh, athletically the majority of students certainly were dorks. Still are. (Have you ever watched a shooting contest at halftime?!). But I would never call anyone that. Unlike other cheers, this cheer has a level of disrespect for hard working, gifted athletes and fellow students that is cruel, inaccurate, and really ironic in that it comes from a mass of fans who couldn’t hit the side of a barn with a basketball. And the fact that you guys never -not once -had the nerve to call a black player a dork suggests you knew the “cheer” was crossing a line.

Last edited:
Oh, athletically the majority of students certainly were dorks. Still are. (Have you ever watched a shooting contest at halftime?!). But I would never call anyone that. Unlike other cheers, this cheer has a level of disrespect for hard working, gifted athletes and fellow students that is cruel, inaccurate, and really ironic in that it comes from a mass of fans who couldn’t hit the side of a barn with a basketball. And the fact that you guys never -not once -had the nerve to call a black player a dork suggests you knew the “cheer” was crossing a line.
You are 100% incorrect on this. They usually weren't the dorkiest players on the court. And the designation never had anything to do with athletic talent. Do/did you attend games? Hopefully you havent ever booed the ref or razz other players if they act up on the court, otherwise you just violated the same principles you are promoting. So much for having a little fun as a college, aged kid. Oh well, on to the next topic.

When Cliff makes a big dunk chant: " When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's AMORE!!!
14 words is really stretching the concept of "chant." I'd suggest keeping the spirit of your idea with just "Thaaaaat's Omoruyi." Short and sweet.

Speaking of chants that would not fly in today's PC world, does anyone remember the "Moose!" chant at the girls' games? That was at a time when most WBB teams in the A10 never played in front of crowds until they came to the RAC. Then a big girl would be targeted as "Moose" by the student section. It definitely got into their heads. I remember a lot of turnovers and missed shots as a result. It was a very different time. Can't even imagine what would happen now. They'd probably stop the game.

• Haha
Speaking of chants that would not fly in today's PC world, does anyone remember the "Moose!" chant at the girls' games? That was at a time when most WBB teams in the A10 never played in front of crowds until they came to the RAC. Then a big girl would be targeted as "Moose" by the student section. It definitely got into their heads. I remember a lot of turnovers and missed shots as a result. It was a very different time. Can't even imagine what would happen now. They'd probably stop the game.
I thought it was MOO as in cow…one of the guys in the band brought surgical gloves and we blew them up like utters…made the big girl from Pedd State cry…we really rattled her….kinda feel bad after 33 years…..well, a little…

You are 100% incorrect on this. They usually weren't the dorkiest players on the court. And the designation never had anything to do with athletic talent. Do/did you attend games? Hopefully you havent ever booed the ref or razz other players if they act up on the court, otherwise you just violated the same principles you are promoting. So much for having a little fun as a college, aged kid. Oh well, on to the next topic.
I was at every game. But I agree. Let’s move on.

I thought it was MOO as in cow…one of the guys in the band brought surgical gloves and we blew them up like utters…made the big girl from Pedd State cry…we really rattled her….kinda feel bad after 33 years…..well, a little…
I know it was moo. I’m ashamed to say I was one of the fans mooing!

• Haha
Reactions: RUHouston
Oh dear Lord….I guess you didn’t like the “dwarf” chant either?

Reactions: RUScrew85
You wouldn't, yet you did.
Not individually directly at them. Look, I’m calling out those who were attempting cruelty (no apology for that) yet who ironically, probably embodied the very insult they were using.

Not individually directly at them. Look, I’m calling out those who were attempting cruelty (no apology for that) yet who ironically, probably embodied the very insult they were using.
The thought crossed my mind that you actually said what you were opposed to, which is why I revisited this thread. Individual labeling not ok. Group labeling ok. Got it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT