ADVERTISEMENT

Classless James Franklin of PSU

After beating Pitt on Saturday this was his quote:

James Franklin: “I know last year beating us for them was like the Super Bowl. This was just like beating Akron for us.”

What a total jerk and a man with no class he is.

I'd rather have a coach with some swagger. Just beat people to sleep. Instead of a coach who has to "watch film" and say we "didn't execute." How many friggin times are we going to not "execute."

After beating Pitt on Saturday this was his quote:

James Franklin: “I know last year beating us for them was like the Super Bowl. This was just like beating Akron for us.”

What a total jerk and a man with no class he is.
Do you know the context of why he said that? He said it because That is how he approaches every game. A major topic this week has been how each team approached the game. Pitt chose to make no players or assistant coaches available to the media because it a big game. Franklin was asked several times about it. He said they approach every game the same way weather it was Akron, Pitt or the big ten championship. This week he will say Georgia State is the biggest game of the year. It his version on the going 1-0. He not going to change how they prepare. Pitt made it out to be a big deal. They even had coaches tweeting out key chains they made with last year score. The didn't do that for Clemson games. In a short quote like that I sure it rubbed many wrong. I have no problem with it in context of what he has said previously.

Last edited:
Do you know the context of why he said that? He said it because That is how he approaches every game. A major topic this week has been how each team approached the game. Pitt chose to make no players or assistant coaches available to the media because it a big game. Franklin was asked several times about it. He said they approach every game the same way weather it was Akron, Pitt or the big ten championship. This week he will say Georgia State is the biggest game of the year. It his version on the going 1-0. He not going to change how they prepare. Pitt made it out to be a big deal. They even had coaches tweeting out key chains they made with last year score. The didn't do that for Clemson games. In a short quote like that I sure it rubbed many wrong. I have no problem with it in context of what he has said previously.
---------------------------------------------
I disagree. If he had just said "This was just like beating Akron for us." then you would be right...however when he compared it insultingly to Pitt by saying “I know last year beating us for them was like the Super Bowl." followed by "This was just like beating Akron for us." as the next sentence it is a clear dig at Pitt from a classless sore winner.

---------------------------------------------
I disagree. If he had just said "This was just like beating Akron for us." then you would be right...however when he compared it insultingly to Pitt by saying “I know last year beating us for them was like the Super Bowl." followed by "This was just like beating Akron for us." as the next sentence it is a clear dig at Pitt from a classless sore winner.
So he is classless for telling the truth? You may not like it but is all he did. Pitt treated it like their super bowl even having coaches tweet out things like this about the game last year.

C4KyoCPW8AALLT7

So he is classless for telling the truth? You may not like it but is all he did. Pitt treated it like their super bowl even having coaches tweet out things like this about the game last year.

C4KyoCPW8AALLT7
You Ped st fans are something else. Pitt had more yards, more time of possessions and a much younger team and hung toe to toe with your team yesterday. Losing the turnover battle and bad field position was the reason you beat Pitt.

Any coach with class would of said Pitt played a good game and good luck in the ACC. Only a moron and a tool would say something like that after a hard fought game. He fits right in with a fan base who's football program is more important than protecting kids from a serial rapist who was a coach.

Look at Narduzzi's post game interview. He has class. Your coach is a peice of garbage. The fact you are making excuses for that moron says a lot about you. Not surprising coming from that cesspool of a fan base.

As for the key chain. You failed to bring up the fact. When Franklin was first hired. He said how he was going to dominate the state lol Pathetic

Last edited:
As for the key chain. You failed to bring up the fact. When Franklin was first hired. He said how he was going to dominate the state lol Pathetic

You failed to bring up the fact that the "Dominate the State" response was to a question about his recruiting strategy. It is no different than Rutgers saying they're going to "Fence the Garden" or the "wall" that Wannestedt was going to build around the WPIAL. People read way too much into that comment. He's also backed it up on the recruiting trail but that's another discussion.

Personally, those kind of comments don't bother me. I kind of like it better than coach-speak actually. And the context makes it even less abrasive than it sounds.

The Texas coach said something about the game in Austin being "Maryland's Super Bowl" last week after getting battered on the field. While in that instance it probably *was* passive-aggressive coach-speak, I thought it was nothing more than entertaining...

You failed to bring up the fact that the "Dominate the State" response was to a question about his recruiting strategy. It is no different than Rutgers saying they're going to "Fence the Garden" or the "wall" that Wannestedt was going to build around the WPIAL. People read way too much into that comment. He's also backed it up on the recruiting trail but that's another discussion.

I have no problem with Franklin's panache. I kind of like it. But LOL at trying to spin this remark, made in Maryland:

"I consider this in-state. I consider New Jersey in-state," Franklin told the crowd. While there are other schools in the region, "they might as well shut them down because they don't have a chance."

Reactions: sherepower
I have no problem with Franklin's panache. I kind of like it. But LOL at trying to spin this remark, made in Maryland:

"I consider this in-state. I consider New Jersey in-state," Franklin told the crowd. While there are other schools in the region, "they might as well shut them down because they don't have a chance."

Two different quotes at two different times. "Dominate the State" was his opening press conference at PSU in response to recruiting. The "in-state" dig was to boosters at a PSU event. I was only referencing the first one that Pitt fans like to take offense to out of context.

I'm usually a pretty upright guy when it comes to sportsmanship and whatnot, but... If something were to accidentally happen to Franklin on the sideline, I wouldn't be terribly upset about it. The guy is a total c*nt.

Two different quotes at two different times. "Dominate the State" was his opening press conference at PSU in response to recruiting. The "in-state" dig was to boosters at a PSU event. I was only referencing the first one that Pitt fans like to take offense to out of context.

Cool, thanks. I mis-knew about that quote, LOL. Like I said, I really don't have a problem with it anyway. And there's certainly nothing wrong with saying "dominate the state" about one's own state...

C'mon man, after all - "they are - Penn state"

Not a PSU fan in the LEAST! But, was this taken out of context? A bit of a backhanded slap to the PITT team. He was

I was going to say the same thing. And, to be honest, no team should prepare any differently from week to week. Obviously, RU needs to learn this characteristic!

These PSU threads always make me laugh...also laughed when many posters here said they would much prefer to have Drew M as the OC than a former FCS level head coach named MoreHead...that went well
For us...and which posters constantly said that Franklin hadn't beaten anyone? What i wouldn't give to have a coach with his pedigree leading us to some victories these days

Reactions: ejb25
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT