ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Cliff Omoruyi declares for NBA Draft, maintains eligibility

They only get to transfer once without sitting out a year unless they graduate, so that seems unlikely.

The graduating loop hole for second time transfers is just stupid. Rutgers policy requires kids to earn 30 credits at Rutgers to obtain a degree from us. How did Cam manage that? 5 classes per term while also playing basketball in the BIG. Sure seems like the intent all along was to give himself the option to school hop again after the season.

Reactions: RUBlackout
The graduating loop hole for second time transfers is just stupid. Rutgers policy requires kids to earn 30 credits at Rutgers to obtain a degree from us. How did Cam manage that? 5 classes per term while also playing basketball in the BIG. Sure seems like the intent all along was to give himself the option to school hop again after the season.
I wondered that too, I think every school has something like that to require a minimum number of credits at that particular school to get a degree from that school - Cam might have earned 15 each semester (or some in summer school?) - or maybe they make exceptions for athletes?

They only get to transfer once without sitting out a year unless they graduate, so that seems unlikely.
Lots of second time transfers are getting immediate eligibility after requesting a waiver.

A very common waiver request is "mental health."

Some successful mental health waiver requests have been approved for the following reasons:
Crime has increased on campus and that bothers the me.

The weather in the fall and winter is not what I thought and I just don't want to go through another year dealing with that.

My coach has called me names throughout the season.

My position coach told me I will amount to nothing.

I wondered that too, I think every school has something like that to require a minimum number of credits at that particular school to get a degree from that school - Cam might have earned 15 each semester (or some in summer school?) - or maybe they make exceptions for athletes?
That’s right - I forgot about last summer. But isn’t the selection of classes available during summer session is usually pretty limited? Even the most generic majors have specific course requirements in order to obtain a degree. For Cam to have been able to do it, you’d think our staff would’ve had to work closely with him to help him accomplish it.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Lots of second time transfers are getting immediate eligibility after requesting a waiver.

A very common waiver request is "mental health."

Some successful mental health waiver requests have been approved for the following reasons:
Crime has increased on campus and that bothers the me.

The weather in the fall and winter is not what I thought and I just don't want to go through another year dealing with that.

My coach has called me names throughout the season.

My position coach told me I will amount to nothing.
Why did they even bother pretending they are limiting 2nd time transfer then?

Same reason they pretended with the old "hardship transfer" waiver process.

Still waiting for the first player to transfer to a worse basketball situation under a "hardship" transfer.

What a coincidence that every time someone needed to transfer closer to home they also transfered to a better basketball situation and needed to be immediately eligible.

Same reason they pretended with the old "hardship transfer" waiver process.

Still waiting for the first player to transfer to a worse basketball situation under a "hardship" transfer.

What a coincidence that every time someone needed to transfer closer to home they also transfered to a better basketball situation and needed to be immediately eligible.
Dawson Garcia from North Carolina to Minnesota?

Reactions: NickRU714
Tbh, I think that the NCAA is just trying to avoid being sued again. So, they're handing out waivers like Oprah handed out prizes on her show.
Oprah Winfrey Car GIF

I quickly looked at the 2008 NBA draft - from 15 years ago, I didn't recognize all the names, but I didn't see any that I remembered as 6'9" centers.

There have always been top college players whose game didn't translate to the NBA. Sure the game has changed, but NBA front offices have also gotten much better at realizing college success doesn't necessarily predict NBA success. Look back at Tim Mccormick, Jon Koncak etc, most NBA teams are dumb, but they've learned from some of their mistakes.

Reactions: cm_13
I quickly looked at the 2008 NBA draft - from 15 years ago, I didn't recognize all the names, but I didn't see any that I remembered as 6'9" centers.

There have always been top college players whose game didn't translate to the NBA. Sure the game has changed, but NBA front offices have also gotten much better at realizing college success doesn't necessarily predict NBA success. Look back at Tim Mccormick, Jon Koncak etc, most NBA teams are dumb, but they've learned from some of their mistakes.

Makes sense. It’s also more broadly about the path to seeing the floor. Even before NBA teams were running with lengthy center less rotations less often, there was still only one spot in the rotation that big could slide into. The difference now is that less teams want to hold onto multiple undersized (or even standard sized) utility pure bigs. Consider this in contrast to a kid like Caleb who arguably could provide a defensive boost at multiple positions. Caleb is no shoe in due to his offensive issues, but in many respects his skill set could be more marketable as a reserve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT