ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff Omoruyi Planning Visits

Here's the count for 2017 through 2019 for the Rivals Top 150 breadown....keep in mind there are 13 available scholarships per season and some kids filter out after 1 or 2 seasons.for the NBA or Professional Basketball or transfer out etc.

This reinforces the emphasis (or should) that the bulk of the B1G rosters are made up of JUCO's and 3 star or even 2 star players.

There are 14 teams and 13 available scholarships in total per program...

That's 182 total scholarships available at any one time....

Only 67 of the 182 are Top 150....

More than half of the 67 Top 150 (41) are going to Ohio State, Maryland, Indiana and Michigan and Michigan State....(it's actually 61% of the Top 150 from the last 3 years going to 5 of the 14 B1G programs)...

That leaves 26 Top 150 kids for 9 schools.....or essentially an average of 3 of the 13 scholarships being Top 150 kids, per the other 9 B1G programs.....plus your splitting the proverbial pie, with 5 other conferences or another 60 schools (SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac 12 and Big East, plus UConn, Gonzaga, Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, Wichita State etc, that are not in Power 5/6 leagues, but operate at a high level in recent years.

What this should also emphasize is when the B1G consistently has 6 to 8 schools in the NCAA's each year (last year was 8, average is usually 6 to 7 consistently over the last decade), the B1G programs have to recruit and develop players, like Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State etc have done.....Rutgers is finally doing so, but making sure the players recruited at player 8, 9, 10 and 11, are still reputable players....in past years, RU neglected to recruit proper depth beyond their starters.

This is the path RU is forging forward with. I don't foresee a RU program outrecruiting Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan and Maryland on a year in and year out basis....

Illinois (4) plus a JUCO All American guard (55th, 95th, 86th and 45th ranked players across 3 classes)

Indiana (9) 133, 119, 6, 131, 103, 52, 118, 35, 138

Maryland (9) 67,57,132, 75,24,41,118, 125, 56

Michigan (6) plus an unranked 1 & done to NBA last year (Brazdekis) 137, 106,89,60,97,95

Michigan State (9) 86,6,115,61,101,65,113,49,88

Minnesota (3) 62, 59, 135

Iowa (3) 111,43 73

Northwestern (3) 66, 67, 104

Nebraska ( 1) Kid in 2017 transferred to NC State this spring after Fred Hoiberg was hired, has 2 Top 150 kids in 2020 class)

Ohio State (8) 134, 109, 87, 70, 146,41, 57,32

Penn State (1) 144 (PSU had a strong 2016 class of 3 Top 150 type kids, that carried them to NIT finals in 2018 and expected to contend for NCAA in 2020)

Purdue (4) 77 121,128, 83 (excludes 1st team All American, Carson Edwards, who was 91st ranked player in 2016 class)

Rutgers (5) Doucoure, Jacob Young, Mathis 108, Harper Jr 136 and Mulcahy 139

Wisconsin (2) (has just landed a Top 150 kid for 2020, not included in these numbers and excludes players like Ethan Happ who was #123 and a 2014 recruit who redshirted his 1st season.

It's recruiting, weight lifting, skill improvement, player development and coaching that makes the B1G the most balanced league, top to bottom in 2018-19 and expected to be the same in 2019-2020 and beyond.

TCU out, maybe? I'm thinking this is a result of Kentucky hopping back in, he may want an official visit there.

Young and/or Duocoure may end up helping us a lot at Rutgers. With that being said it is pretty silly to use their Rival ratings to make an argument about our recruiting.

We didn't land Top 150 Jacob Young. We landed Jacob Young who wasn't part of U of Texas's plans. We didn't land 5 star Wally Judge. We landed unwanted by Kansas State Wally Judge.

Young will be a huge feather in Pikiell's "recruiting cap" if he ends up playing up to his HS rankings.

Young and/or Duocoure may end up helping us a lot at Rutgers. With that being said it is pretty silly to use their Rival ratings to make an argument about our recruiting.

We didn't land Top 150 Jacob Young. We landed Jacob Young who wasn't part of U of Texas's plans. We didn't land 5 star Wally Judge. We landed unwanted by Kansas State Wally Judge.

Young will be a huge feather in Pikiell's "recruiting cap" if he ends up playing up to his HS rankings.

I don't think rrankings are aligned until a player is an upperclassmen, so Young's best 2 years should be his last 2 years in college. The key is staggering your talent and spreading it across multiple classes, since attrition and players not playing to the rankings happens all the time....at the same time, RU is not improving because it's Top 150 talent is all clicking at the same time...it's improving because the players not ranked in the Top 150, are being developed and/or underrated, underranked. That is where the fans believing recruiting rankings are the be-all end-all....The staff and strength and conditioning programs made Eugene Omoyuri into a legitimate prospect. The same goes for Geo Baker.....

It's fair to ask for recruiting to be better at every B1G program, but the reality is pieces like Wally Judge did well enough at RU, but I'm convinced if Judge had this staff, we would be singing a different tune. Any reference to RU and past performances are 100% irrelevant to where the program is today.

Reactions: RUChoppin

I think you may have misunderstood NJ Hawk's point Greene Rice FIG. As I understood it, he was trying to explain that most of the players on B1G rosters are NOT top 150 players, and that there is a path for Rutgers to compete by developing players and having quality depth throughout the roster without necessarily loading up on 4 and 5 star recruits.

Reactions: Scangg

The flaw in your criticism is that other schools quite likely have Top 150 players who ALSO underperformed. It's certainly not a scientific analysis, but the same criterion is applying to all schools -- players who were ranked in the Rivals Top 150 -- so at least he's comparing apples to apples.

Despite whatever flaws a reference to a recruiting database might have, I think Hawk is making a good point here, namely, that the top recruiting schools will consistently be MSU, Michigan, Maryland, OSU, and Indiana, and everyone else is fighting for the same second and third tier players. WHICH second and third tier players we land, how they are developed by the coaches, and how they fit into the team concept, will dictate whether we stagnate or rise in the B1G.

Well Wisconsin has landed a pretty awesome 2020 class so the bar is only going up.

I agree. I was starting to doubt Gard, but he is really starting to pull in the recruits.

Also to be fair Wisconsin and Minnesota are playing something of a zero sum game up there. Wisconsin is grabbing all these guys from Minnesota, so it's likely that the Gophers class will be worse than their usual directly because of Wisconsin's being stronger.

There's an awful lot of talent in that state in the 2020 class so Minny can still put together a very good class, but it's starting to dry up as guys go elsewhere.

Well now Memphis is in. It would be a MAJOR upset if we got him.

Great recruiting class, but as I said they're not the same as they were years back.

American Conference FInishes
2013/14 - Third
2014/15 - Fifth
2015/16 - Seventh
2016/17 - Fifth
2017/18 - Fifth
2018/19 - Fifth (Hardway)
Doesn't matter that they haven't been as good as they were in a weaker conference, high level players are interested in playing for Penny right now.

Reactions: RUChoppin and kcg88
TCU got a commitment earlier this week, making his visit meaningless.

That is correct....Eddie Lampkin is a Texas kid that committed to TCU earlier in the week....it.was thought he may leave Texas and commit one of a handful of other choices.

I don't know if UConn is not a threat for Cliff, that seems very silly on the surface....BUT in reading their boards, they are on board for recruiting 2 Centers....Cliff is one and the other target they have is high in the rankings.

Maryland, Memphis, Kentucky, Auburn, Pittsburgh and countless others like NCState are all lurking. I think all of these schools are checking on Cliff and I can only see this landing in RUs lap, if all of these other schools land other kids....I am also leery about how schools that have not been mentioned with Cliff, suddenly appear out of nowhere and possibly could get one of the official visits. Where Kentucky and Memphis go in recruiting will have a large say on how this ends up.

I do agree that if it was a factor of eliminating Memphis, Auburn, Kentucky and perhaps Pitt from the equation, I would feel much better about things. UConn, with as dirty a recruiting legacy as anyone, is even worried about Kentucky, Auburn and Memphis in regards to Omoyuri. Somehow, that's very ironic to me.

Great recruiting class, but as I said they're not the same as they were years back.

American Conference FInishes
2013/14 - Third
2014/15 - Fifth
2015/16 - Seventh
2016/17 - Fifth
2017/18 - Fifth
2018/19 - Fifth (Hardway)

"Great" is an understatement. Their 2019 recruiting class is ridiculous.

#1 - Wiseman - C
#17 - Achiuwa - PF
#37 - Ellis - PG
#48 - Quinones - SG
#51 - Jeffries - SF
#86 - Baugh - PG
#125 - Dandridge - C

Hardaway essentially recruited a 7-man Rivals 150 rotation, with a full starting five in the Top 51. This is after a 2018 class that included #72 Harris (PG), #119 Jones (SG), and #133 Lomax (PG). There's clearly a sea change happening at Memphis right now.

Reactions: MV9000
Shu was a school after lampkin. Our guys in the know have been saying he was staying in tx for a while fwiw

#1 - Wiseman - C
#17 - Achiuwa - PF
#37 - Ellis - PG
#48 - Quinones - SG
#51 - Jeffries - SF
#86 - Baugh - PG
#125 - Dandridge - C

Hardaway essentially recruited a 7-man Rivals 150 rotation, with a full starting five in the Top 51. This is after a 2018 class that included #72 Harris (PG), #119 Jones (SG), and #133 Lomax (PG). There's clearly a sea change happening at Memphis right now.
AAU connections or other?

AAU connections or other?
Penny coached a few of them in high school at Memphis East. Assistant Mike Miller landed a few of those kids. One or two are Memphis kids who wanted to stay home and play for Penny.

Pretty much a recruiting perfect storm.

Many outsiders underestimate Hardaway's status in Memphis. He's not just from there, doesn't just live there, he is Memphis. The amount of money he donated to the school over the years and the city initiatives he supported in the black community there have earned him so much love and respect. Some think he could run for mayor and win.

Penny coached a few of them in high school at Memphis East. Assistant Mike Miller landed a few of those kids. One or two are Memphis kids who wanted to stay home and play for Penny.

Pretty much a recruiting perfect storm.

Many outsiders underestimate Hardaway's status in Memphis. He's not just from there, doesn't just live there, he is Memphis. The amount of money he donated to the school over the years and the city initiatives he supported in the black community there have earned him so much love and respect. Some think he could run for mayor and win.
:Money: :MoneyBags::Money: :MoneyBags::Money: :MoneyBags:

That dont hurt either

#1 - Wiseman - C
#17 - Achiuwa - PF
#37 - Ellis - PG
#48 - Quinones - SG
#51 - Jeffries - SF
#86 - Baugh - PG
#125 - Dandridge - C

Hardaway essentially recruited a 7-man Rivals 150 rotation, with a full starting five in the Top 51. This is after a 2018 class that included #72 Harris (PG), #119 Jones (SG), andNot #133 Lomax (PG). There's clearly a sea change happening at Memphis right now.
Not to throw water on Memphis. They might end up great, but like I said they haven't been great in a while, plus NBA players haven't been too successful coaching on the college level. My original response was to the poster who said we don't have much of a chance if Memphis gets involved. I don't see that. It's not like Syracuse and Nova are suddenly after the kid. Not sure I would underestimate Pike here.

Feeling very good about Mr. Cliff. Lots going for us. I don't believe UConn is a major player here

Hope this one wish comes true...

giphy.gif

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think there's a ways to go on the Cliff recruiting path but I will say that this current roster is more than good enough to make a lot of noise this coming season. The trend lines with where things are going with the roster across the board are giving RU a chance here.

Just keep in mind where Cliff plays and remember the Rutgers head coach doesn't do business that way.

Why anyone who has been a Rutgers fan for a long time would let themselves get suckered into thinking we're getting him is beyond.

Just keep in mind where Cliff plays and remember the Rutgers head coach doesn't do business that way.

Why anyone who has been a Rutgers fan for a long time would let themselves get suckered into thinking we're getting him is beyond.

No one disagrees except there are rumors of more heads rolling in College basketball assistant coaching circles. That and other factors may keep RU in this more than expected.

I was just going to say pike seems more honorable than the guys the rc coach does biz with. Guess you beat me to it.

Reactions: wheezer

---
wouldn't it be nice if a recruit wanted to do it the right way.....

it would be a real shame if he actually liked us best and would commit if money was not involved, yet goes someplace else because of the money

I still hope

---
wouldn't it be nice if a recruit wanted to do it the right way.....

it would be a real shame if he actually liked us best and would commit if money was not involved, yet goes someplace else because of the money

I still hope

I can't blame recruits for taking the cash. Just stinks that we lose players because of this. And even when the schools get caught doing this, it's usually business as usual. I wonder since the FBI is now involved, things will be different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT