ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff Omoruyi Planning Visits

Zona has an Ivy or ND roadmap, that was made very clear way before last season started. Don't know where ND and their board is for players but the scouting reports on Zona was his lack of defense against quicker and more mobile bigs and not being a true 5 that can run protect. His offense from 15 to 20 feet as a stationary shooter is his strength but he's going to be an overall net negative when he's not making shots, without another element to impact the game.
Sounds much like what I said - not good enough.

Sounds much like what I said - not good enough.

To be fair in posts discussing Rutgers' recruiting you also identified Baker, Caleb, Myles, Harper and possibly Mathis as "not good enough" either.

To really move forward in the B1G Rutgers needs to start recruiting players that are more talented than those on the current squad.

Recruiting is not my full time job. I have seen video on both. The differences are clear.

Everything on video is a highlight.

I've seen Zona about 4-5 times and one thing I'm certain of is that he plays at a higher level of competition. That you can't determine very well in 2 minute highlight clips.

That's already been done....not sure what you're not watching at this point.
Based on your comment I guess Reiber meets your definition along with other 3 star recruits. Rutgers needs a Omoruyi type of recruit to change perception and create a follow the leader reaction .Player development can only take a team so far as seen with the consecutive losing seasons at Rutgers.Pikiell is the right coach for Rutgers and its time to show a winning season and higher level talent as a end result.

To be fair in posts discussing Rutgers' recruiting you also identified Baker, Caleb, Myles, Harper and possibly Mathis as "not good enough" either.
Just making shit up. Don't like Baker at the point, loved Harper from the beginning, and have said several times that Myles might end up the best big man in the Big 10. Only Mathis have I had questions about and I still do, and maybe Caleb after his first couple of games. Show me where I've said otherwise about any of them. I'm waiting. Those who actually read my posts know you're full of crap.

Last edited:
Everything on video is a highlight.

I've seen Zona about 4-5 times and one thing I'm certain of is that he plays at a higher level of competition. That you can't determine very well in 2 minute highlight clips.

There is plenty of non video highlights.

How does he do in AAU? I am focused on who the staff is interested as well. They have moved on from BC kid so I don't focus on him.

I think Reiber passes better, has a better working shot. He is more of a big ten four than BC kid.

Just making shit up. Don't like Baker at the point, loved Harper from the beginning, and have said several times that Myles might end up the best big man in the Big 10. Only Mathis have I had questions about and I still do, and maybe Caleb after his first couple of games. Show me where I've said otherwise about any of them. I'm waiting. Those who actually read my posts know you're full of crap.

My apologies. Had you confused with @RUsojo

Based on your comment I guess Reiber meets your definition along with other 3 star recruits. Rutgers needs a Omoruyi type of recruit to change perception and create a follow the leader reaction .Player development can only take a team so far as seen with the consecutive losing seasons at Rutgers.Pikiell is the right coach for Rutgers and its time to show a winning season and higher level talent as a end result.

You have to give an HC more than two classes to determine how he recruits. This HC has brought five (5) Rivals 150 here in his past three classes: Doucoure, Mathis, Harper, Young and Mulcahy. How many B1G teams do you think have added five (5) Rivals 150 kids in their last three classes?

My apologies. Had you confused with @RUsojo

Just making shit up. I’ve never said anything bad about those guys ever.

Just making shit up. I’ve never said anything bad about those guys ever.

Maybe I misunderstood posts like this:

"What do you use to determine Pike is recruiting “a lot better”? By average star ranking across all industry services his classes have been bottom third in conference all 3 seasons exactly the same as Ash."

or this:

I totally understand the rankings may not always “will out” and match what a player ends up becoming. In my opinion, can we really make that judgement if we aren’t actually winning and getting results?

or maybe this:

Pikiell falling off in recruiting isn’t doing Ash any favors with his brother. Not a good like by Pike.

I can go on and on if you like. You can't run down Pike based on your one trick pony approach of "but 247 says"...Either you think the players Pikiell is recruiting are very good after watching them actually play college basketball or not. I believe the kids are very good. Most were frosh and sophs in a brutal league and won 7 games. The most league wins for an RU team since, I believe, our NIT Finals team. Time will tell.

Maybe I misunderstood posts like this:

"What do you use to determine Pike is recruiting “a lot better”? By average star ranking across all industry services his classes have been bottom third in conference all 3 seasons exactly the same as Ash."

or this:

or maybe this:

I can go on and on if you like. You can't run down Pike based on your one trick pony approach of "but 247 says"...Either you think the players Pikiell is recruiting are very good after watching them actually play college basketball or not. I believe the kids are very good. Most were frosh and sophs in a brutal league and won 7 games. The most league wins for an RU team since, I believe, our NIT Finals team. Time will tell.

I don’t degrade the players. They have some skills. I feel like you are able to like the players while also admitting recruiting needs to improve? Not a novel concept.

Reactions: RUChoppin and kcg88
Need to increase overall talent level every year.

I think the 2019-20 team will be more talented/experienced than the 2018-19 team, overall. We have different chemistry and size considerations, though, which may or may not lead to more wins in the ledger.

I also think the 2018-19 team was more talented overall than the 2017-18 team, though it lacked a bit in experience.

Pike needs a strong 2020 class to make sure that the 2020-21 team will be more talented than the 2019-20 squad, even after losing Yeboah and Carter to graduation.

Reactions: kcg88
Before we start saying what we need and what we don't need to compete let's see us hit the court with 4 perimeter players who, at worst, are average perimeter shooters.

We haven't remotely been close to being a below average shooting team let alone average. Our problem has been recruiting wrong players.

I think/hope we may finally see a team that can shoot it at par with an average major D1 team. Can we defend and clean up the defensive glass?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I'm currently sitting in the lobby of the Barnabas. This place is sweet. Should give us a recruiting advantage over a lot of the other eastern programs.

Reactions: RUHouston
Kentucky is not as out on Omoruyi as I assumed given their other commitments

A big miss if we don't get him:Laughing.

It is 76 sunny without a cloud in the sky, we have a new basketball facility, great coach, and nice teammates. No reason to go to Auburn or Kentucky.

You have to give an HC more than two classes to determine how he recruits. This HC has brought five (5) Rivals 150 here in his past three classes: Doucoure, Mathis, Harper, Young and Mulcahy. How many B1G teams do you think have added five (5) Rivals 150 kids in their last three classes?

This should NEVER be how we evaluate recruiting.

The fans on here are criticizing Pike saying we need to close on kids like Omoyuri, when there are dozens upon dozens of schools not even in consideration or gathering interest...You can't be critical when the program is chasing a high 4* or borderline 2 and done type of player, when it takes a serious effort to gather consideration for the prospect in the 1st place....

Recruiting kids like Baker and Eugene Omoyuri 3 to 4 years ago was fine, but recruiting kids that are of the similar character traits and work ethic 3 years later is suddenly not good enough.....??

I know it's strange but if the program didn't have any momentum or positive concepts across the board, I'm not sure what else we should be complaining about here. Baker and Eugene were the baselines as recruits well outside the Top 200 or even 300 or 400.....but when we get a kid in the 250 range, it's suddenly a problem??

The goal is team chemistry and that's being done.....OR we can try what all the other coaches prior to Pike and staff did....grab the highest ranked kids that makes headlines, while the 5th through 10th players on the roster are not B1G caliber.

The fans on here are criticizing Pike saying we need to close on kids like Omoyuri, when there are dozens upon dozens of schools not even in consideration or gathering interest...You can't be critical when the program is chasing a high 4* or borderline 2 and done type of player, when it takes a serious effort to gather consideration for the prospect in the 1st place....

Recruiting kids like Baker and Eugene Omoyuri 3 to 4 years ago was fine, but recruiting kids that are of the similar character traits and work ethic 3 years later is suddenly not good enough.....??

I know it's strange but if the program didn't have any momentum or positive concepts across the board, I'm not sure what else we should be complaining about here. Baker and Eugene were the baselines as recruits well outside the Top 200 or even 300 or 400.....but when we get a kid in the 250 range, it's suddenly a problem??

The goal is team chemistry and that's being done.....OR we can try what all the other coaches prior to Pike and staff did....grab the highest ranked kids that makes headlines, while the 5th through 10th players on the roster are not B1G caliber.[/QUOTE
Winning should be the goal and team chemistry is part of the process to achieve the goal..Fans can discuss recruiting success and failure but at Rutgers there must be accountability which means that whoever is recruited must be talented enough to end the cycle of losing seasons.Kicking the can down the road has resulted in almost 30 years of deep disappointment.

This should NEVER be how we evaluate recruiting.

Of the 11 kids who have scored 1000 points since the '00 recruiting class 9 have been Rivals 150 players: Douby, Mack, Sanders, Farmer, Inman, Rosario, Jack, Miller and Webb. Only Shields and Mike Williams are exceptions. We certainly haven't been good in a long while, but I'd certainly argue those 9 are on the short list of our best players in the last 20 years.

I posit our issue hasn't been the performance of our more highly regarded recruits, but rather we haven't had enough of them. This season Rutgers will likely have three (3) Rivals 150 players coming off the bench: Mathis, Doucoure and Mulcahy. When is the last time a Rutgers team had that?

Of the 11 kids who have scored 1000 points since the '00 recruiting class 9 have been Rivals 150 players: Douby, Mack, Sanders, Farmer, Inman, Rosario, Jack, Miller and Webb. Only Shields and Mike Williams are exceptions. We certainly haven't been good in a long while, but I'd certainly argue those 9 are on the short list of our best players in the last 20 years.

I posit our issue hasn't been the performance of our more highly regarded recruits, but rather we haven't had enough of them. This season Rutgers will likely have three (3) Rivals 150 players coming off the bench: Mathis, Doucoure and Mulcahy. When is the last time a Rutgers team had that?

We've also lost guys early who would have hit 1000 at Rutgers, but just didn't stick around. Omoruyi, Carter, Biruta, and Echenique would have all hit 1000 here had they not transferred. Baker will this year. Of those, Ech and Carter were Rivals150 guys, and the other three were not.

How many guys over the past 15 years have even played in 100 games?

There have been just 12 players recruited in the last 15 years that have played 100 games at Rutgers, and no one new will hit that milestone this season. Of those, 8 were Rivals Top 150 guys (*).

121 - Doorson (2014)
119 - Williams (2014)

128 - Mack (2011)*
113 - Lewis (2011)*
111 - Jack (2011)*

127 - Miller (2009)*
126 - A. Johnson (2009)

127 - Coburn (2007)

124 - N'Diaye (2006)*

123 - Farmer (2005)*
120 - Griffin (2005)*
112 - Inman (2005)*

Already listed out above - I think I may have posted while you were typing.
Where? I asked if the OP knew the answer to his own question:

How many B1G teams do you think have added five (5) Rivals 150 kids in their last three classes?

We definitely have a lot of talent coming into the season this year - chemistry and matchups will be important.

Looking at recruiting rankings of our current roster:

Young - 106th (2016)
Mathis - 108th (2018)
Doucoure - 114th (2018) before reclassifying to 2017
Harper - 136th (2018)
Mulcahy - 139th (2019)

Also, some conference/region accolades:
Yeboah - 1st Team All-America East, Second team All-Met (2018-19)
Baker - Honorable Mention All-B1G, Third team All-Met (2018-19)

There have been just 12 players recruited in the last 15 years that have played 100 games at Rutgers, and no one new will hit that milestone this season. Of those, 8 were Rivals Top 150 guys (*).

121 - Doorson (2014)
119 - Williams (2014)

128 - Mack (2011)*
113 - Lewis (2011)*
111 - Jack (2011)*

127 - Miller (2009)*
126 - A. Johnson (2009)

127 - Coburn (2007)

124 - N'Diaye (2006)*

123 - Farmer (2005)*
120 - Griffin (2005)*
112 - Inman (2005)*

How many B1G teams do you think have added five (5) Rivals 150 kids in their last three classes?

Just comparing to the rest of the conference, looking at # of kids on the Rivals 150 list for the last 3 years that show a commitment to a B1G school:

9 - Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland
6 - Michigan
5 - Illinois
4 - Purdue
3 - Rutgers, Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota
2 - Wisconsin
1 - Penn State, Nebraska

We also have 2 more in Doucoure (who doesn't appear on any Rivals 150 list, since he reclassified) and Young (who was signed to Texas off the 2016 list and transferred to RU)... but I don't know how many additional players in similar circumstances joined other conference teams.

The goal is team chemistry and that's being done.....OR we can try what all the other coaches prior to Pike and staff did....grab the highest ranked kids that makes headlines, while the 5th through 10th players on the roster are not B1G caliber.

This posts needs to pinned and read by anyone who has shared 2 cents about recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT