ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff should watch some Rashod Kent video

Man …talk about moves, agility, touch, a relentless motor that never quit.

I know he was more like 6-8 but still..

We could use someone like him..

Loved me some Kent
He was smaller than 6'8" and not a good foul shooter.

Cliff is not very skilled but he does have a good motor. However, he could never be as relentless as Kent was on the boards. That desire is not teachable.
Raw power and great hands too. Anticipation as well. Just couldn’t shoot - but it didn’t matter much.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Kent did a great job of carving out space and getting the ball really close to the basket. He held his position well.

Reactions: SBP
Kent did a great job of carving out space and getting the ball really close to the basket. He held his position well.
That’s just it, Cliff does not have the base. His lower body is not strong enough. He gets moved off the spot easily compared to someone like Kent, Austin Johnson, or even a RHJ. Cliff’s balance is compromised because of this.

Someone mentioned his baby hook. For me he doesn’t take a hook shot, it’s more of a shot put.

I question our strength development. Illinois was not just taller than us but much bigger/stronger from the guards on up. Maybe it’s our philosophy but even Wolf, our football player lost size. Simpson looks as skinny as he did last year. Teams that have strength will give us major problems. Last year Seton Hall bullied us.

That’s just it, Cliff does not have the base. His lower body is not strong enough. He gets moved off the spot easily compared to someone like Kent, Austin Johnson, or even a RHJ. Cliff’s balance is compromised because of this.

Someone mentioned his baby hook. For me he doesn’t take a hook shot, it’s more of a shot put.

I question our strength development. Illinois was not just taller than us but much bigger/stronger from the guards on up. Maybe it’s our philosophy but even Wolf, our football player lost size. Simpson looks as skinny as he did last year. Teams that have strength will give us major problems. Last year Seton Hall bullied us.
I rewatched the first half looking exclusively at rebounding. My premise was that we don’t box out well, but I saw that we boxed out ok. We were generally just overpowered. Wolf in particular worked real hard at it but couldn’t hold off those stronger dudes. I am sure Illinois is one of the strongest teams, maybe the strongest, we’ll see all year. i recognize this doesn’t explain the other games.

Ill aggressively attacked the basket, searching for the rebound. Cliff would often take himself out of the play when he would try to block a shot.

When we would shoot, you saw none of that.

I rewatched the first half looking exclusively at rebounding. My premise was that we don’t box out well, but I saw that we boxed out ok. We were generally just overpowered. Wolf in particular worked real hard at it but couldn’t hold off those stronger dudes. I am sure Illinois is one of the strongest teams, maybe the strongest, we’ll see all year. i recognize this doesn’t explain the other games.
Good idea to rewatch the games, especially after a loss, if you want to take emotion out of it and just observe what really happened.

IL is a powerful rebounding team.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Can't believe I forgot about Rashod Kent! I loved watching him play. Best 6'5"ish center ever. He was a dog...what's he doing now BK?

Measured just below 6’6 for the Texans. Insanely strong, anticipated entry passes better than anyone, and had his two go-to post moves.

Totally different player than Cliff - Hamady a much more comparable talent. No offensive game either, still got drafted.

Can't believe I forgot about Rashod Kent! I loved watching him play. Best 6'5"ish center ever. He was a dog...what's he doing now BK?
Rashod has been back to Rutgers several times in the past few years, something I’m happy to say I’ve been able to assist him with. We connected for good at a Court Club alumni event a few years back I organized for the program…where he signed a Texans mini helmet for me, which remains one of my prized RU related collectibles, and took a photo with me that hangs on my wall to this day.

For ease of explanation, let’s just call RK an entrepreneur. He’s had several business and has a charitable foundation as well. He spends a ton of time in Houston and south Florida. Has a nice presence on social media.

Rashod has been back to Rutgers several times in the past few years, something I’m happy to say I’ve been able to assist him with. We connected for good at a Court Club alumni event a few years back I organized for the program…where he signed a Texans mini helmet for me, which remains one of my prized RU related collectibles, and took a photo with me that hangs on my wall to this day.

For ease of explanation, let’s just call RK an entrepreneur. He’s had several business and has a charitable foundation as well. He spends a ton of time in Houston and south Florida. Has a nice presence on social media.
This is great to hear!! Thank you for sharing.

Rashod was a freak of nature for his relatively diminutive size and athleticism.

Reactions: LOU-RU85
Basketball is an instinctive game, you can be taught some things but you should be able to do things instinctively as well.

Cliff is not a BB player and the greatest coaches could not make him what we wanted him to be.
It’s not instinct. Give an example. It’s a coordination thing. Can’t teach it. He’s not nearly coordinated enough to do what he tries to do. Bad hands, bad footwork.

I do agree that the greatest coaches couldn’t fix him.

Man …talk about moves, agility, touch, a relentless motor that never quit.

I know he was more like 6-8 but still..

We could use someone like him..

Loved me some Kent
Kent was if lucky… 6’4” maybe 6’5” on a good day . Great drop step and relentless. If only he could shoot free throws .Never ever backed down and for his weight could elevate with the best.

It’s not instinct. Give an example. It’s a coordination thing. Can’t teach it. He’s not nearly coordinated enough to do what he tries to do. Bad hands, bad footwork.

The greatest coaches would attempt to use the strengths he has, jumping ability and athleticism.
They wouldn’t force feed his weakness or tolerate low percentage attempts.

The greatest coaches would attempt to use the strengths he has, jumping ability and athleticism.
They wouldn’t force feed his weakness or tolerate low percentage attempts.
Not in 2023. Why do you think Pike forces, or even tolerates that ? He knows the game but the unwritten rules are different. Pike is like all the others today. A players coach.

I've said before that today's star athlete is different than in eras past, college or pro. It's a 'me, me' generation. Coaches now need to pamper their stars, give them shots they feel they are owed. Cliff wants an NBA career, He wants every opportunity to showcase his skills. Enabling that is major aspect of in-game coaching and also recruiting....you can bet Pike told GG, Ace and every other highly-recruited player they will be featured....just like other coaches are telling all the kids.

Reactions: Unionst

Example 1. Michael Jordan going in for a dunk but at the last millescond switches to his left hand for a lay in due to defense.
Example 2. Just look at any Keving Mchale or Olojuwan when they are trying to score and a defensive player gets a position, they instinctively go to another move to score.

I guess you have never played BB. I have and most of the time your offensive moves are dictated as to where your defender is and what you can instinctively do to beat them.

Example 1. Michael Jordan going in for a dunk but at the last millescond switches to his left hand for a lay in due to defense.
Example 2. Just look at any Keving Mchale or Olojuwan when they are trying to score and a defensive player gets a position, they instinctively go to another move to score.

I guess you have never played BB. I have and most of the time your offensive moves are dictated as to where your defender is and what you can instinctively do to beat them.
Well keep guessing bc you are clueless. Those examples have nothing to do with instinct. That’s called talent. That’s called having game. By your logic, the great players have better instincts than lesser players. Ha ha, that’s not how it works

yes, instinct is a thing, you just don’t know what it is.

But all of that is irrelevant. I’m talking about Cliff. You missed my only point that instinct isn’t Cliff’s issue. The issue is that he’s uncoordinated and yet feels he’s owed these opportunities.

I was asking for an example of Cliff not having instincts. Seeing your brilliance above, don’t bother.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT