ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Jackson & Coach Newton

rut08

Redshirt
Dec 18, 2007
Just read on twitter that coach Jackson and Coach Newton have resigned. Coach Jackson is leaving to become an assistant at the University of Miami and Coach Newton is leaving to become an assistant at The University of Georgia. Best of luck to the both of them. The ladies on the team must be heartbroken.

Sidenote: this can be a blessing as a position hase opened up for Carlene Mitchell to replace one of the vaciencies. If i can remember correctly, she was an excellent recruiter and with the seniors leaving we need to bring in a great class for 2016.

I wish the two of them the best in their new positions. Loved having them here.

Best wishes to the both of them as they embark on the next steps in their careers. As Scarletwoman commented, I really liked both of them on the staff. It seems like a big loss, especially two at once.

I don't know if Carlene and/or Heather are the best replacements for these openings but I wish Carlene and Heather the best as well.
This gives Coach Stringer and AD Julie a chance to tailor the staff for the next phases of the program.

Go RU!

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
Good luck to both of them and if Mitchell is a great recruiter as advertised, lock her up NOW!

Wishing Tia & Chelsea success in their new positions and hope those jobs lead to bigger things for them.

Totally taken aback by both of them leaving. Of course, I wish Chelsea and Tia the best.

Hope we can find someone to work with our post players. Got a couple raw freshmen posts coming in next year.

That's definitely a surprise. It makes me wonder if they both thought there wasn't a path to the head coaching job.

I would guess Carlene is not a likely choice. Heather, though . . .

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
I'm surprised at Tia leaving for another assistant position. I figured she'd be here until she got another shot at a top job.

Best of luck to both coaches. I believe Chelsea was close with our players and I enjoyed her post game comments on the radio.

I would love to see Carlene under consideration. Also, would Jolette (with BIG experience) be interested? We need a strong recruiter as well as a good post coach. Rachel and Ariel have an upside even though they are seniors; some post players take time to reach their potential. This, plus two freshmen posts coming in, will demand a top notch post coach.

Are the salaries for assistant coaches higher at Georgia and Miami?You would think Jackson would only leave for a head coaching position.A top notch recruiter and a coach with experience teaching post players are the main needs.

I wish Coach Newton and Coach Jackson all the success in the world. Would there be a possibility of Jolette Law coming back to Rutgers?

Wish both coaches much success. Sorry to see them go. These are big shoes to fill. I hope it wasn't a money issue because it may create issues for new hires but do like the thought of Charlene a day/or Jolette coming onboard. Don't know much about Heather's coaching ability...loved her when she was here.

"Are the salaries for assistant coaches higher at Georgia and Miami?You would think Jackson would only leave for a head coaching position.A top notch recruiter and a coach with experience teaching post players are the main needs."

I also was wondering if they left for asst. coaching positions at those two schools for more money.
If not, then why ?
And if money was the issue, why can't we match Georgia and Miami as to what we pay our asst. coaches ?

I can't speak to what they were paid or what they will be paid, but Georgia's athletic department has a lot more money than RU's.

We obviously won't know why they left unless they say why at some point, but there are some potential reasons. Jackson, for instance, may have wanted to succeed CVS and either figured out that CVS will be here a while or was told she wasn't likely to be next in line. Chelsea might have thought it would be good to work for more than one head coach as a way to see how different coaches approach the game.

Or there could be any number of other reasons.

I can't speak to what they were paid or what they will be paid, but Georgia's athletic department has a lot more money than RU's.

We obviously won't know why they left unless they say why at some point, but there are some potential reasons. Jackson, for instance, may have wanted to succeed CVS and either figured out that CVS will be here a while or was told she wasn't likely to be next in line. Chelsea might have thought it would be good to work for more than one head coach as a way to see how different coaches approach the game.

Or there could be any number of other reasons.
I don't know about Georgia athletics, but I speculated on that other board that I post on (BY) basically what you just said. Specifically regarding Chelsea, that her opportunities to become a head coach really require that she work for more than one program, and I put the Tia Jackson departure more or less as related to CViv's future retirement.

As to the folks pining for Jolette and / or Carlene, I don't think looking to the past is necessarily a great idea, and besides, for those who are speculating "post CVS" (long may it be before that), I don't really think either demonstrated great strength at their (admittedly) first head coaching jobs. Think a lot of both of them, believe they did wonderful jobs at Rutgers during their respective tenures, but . . .

Heather, OTH, I would welcome back in a minute, she was never a coach here.

The first time I heard Tia Jackson speak (probably at a huddle during her first year at RU), she mentioned that she was happy *not* being the head coach. She's already been a head coach (albeit not a terribly successful one) and seemed happy to no longer have the responsibilities of a head coach. (see: Chris Dailey)

I love Chelsea, but if she wants to be a head coach someday, it will be good for her to get some experience in a different system. It's hard to believe, but she's actually been back here as a coach for 5 years!

Many folks here have spoken of the need to bring in some assistant coaches who are *not* CVS disciples, so this looks like a very good opportunity to do so.

Well....would you want to coach (or play for that matter) for a coach with 2-3 years left on their contract or 6, knowing that your joib is contingent uopn theirs?

Just read on twitter that coach Jackson and Coach Newton have resigned. Coach Jackson is leaving to become an assistant at the University of Miami and Coach Newton is leaving to become an assistant at The University of Georgia. Best of luck to the both of them. The ladies on the team must be heartbroken.

Sidenote: this can be a blessing as a position hase opened up for Carlene Mitchell to replace one of the vaciencies. If i can remember correctly, she was an excellent recruiter and with the seniors leaving we need to bring in a great class for 2016.

Like everyone else, I was also surprised by these moves. First I tried to find the connection between Ga and Chelsie. My question was answered when I saw the Assoc coach at Georgia played at Iowa. Could not determine the connection between Miami and Jackson. This "sudden" personnel change makes me wonder, Did the AD inform the staff that after the Stringer era, she will be going in a different direction? Simply put, "you won't get the job". Or did Jackson and Newton make the decision, they had no desire to apply for the HC job at RU. The timing of these moves seems very suspect. Why now. Has Stringer decided to change her retirement date? Very unlikely, but all factors considered, could be a possibility.

That said, I wish success and career fulfillment for both young ladies. Chelsie is a class act and will be missed on the sideline as will Jackson, a wonderful young lady

We also must take into consideration if CVS plans to stay the full 4 and if told her Staff , some might have decided to leave.
Vivian's buyout if RU decides to replace her is 50% from May 1, 2016 and April 30, 2017,
Rutgers will owe her 35 percent of the remaining total. If she is terminated between May 1, 2017 and April 30, 2018, then the buyout is 50 percent.
So it looks like Stringer's contract was fully guaranteed the first two years only. and ( my opinion only) might be the time frame she plans to stay on as the RU WBB HC. After her second season of the 4 year extension, could be when she plans to hand the reins over to another and retire.
Remember that's just my uneducated guess, based on my uninformed opinion and shouldn't be considered anything but that.

We also must take into consideration if CVS plans to stay the full 4 and if told her Staff , some might have decided to leave.
Vivian's buyout if RU decides to replace her is 50% from May 1, 2016 and April 30, 2017,
Rutgers will owe her 35 percent of the remaining total. If she is terminated between May 1, 2017 and April 30, 2018, then the buyout is 50 percent.
So it looks like Stringer's contract was fully guaranteed the first two years only. and ( my opinion only) might be the time frame she plans to stay on as the RU WBB HC. After her second season of the 4 year extension, could be when she plans to hand the reins over to another and retire.
Remember that's just my uneducated guess, based on my uninformed opinion and shouldn't be considered anything but that.
I don't see CVS retiring until she is shown the door. I have not even ruled out another extension.

I don't think we will have much of a clue about these departures until we see who the replacements are.

I don't see CVS retiring until she is shown the door. I have not even ruled out another extension.

I don't think we will have much of a clue about these departures until we see who the replacements are.
Like I said, based on my own opinion, no facts involved.
I would say you might be closer to the mark with your opinion, then my guess is.
But have that feeling and had it since I heard CVS' contract only had the first two years fully guaranteed .

FWIW, my sense was that the limited guarantee was more to protect RU than any reflection of what CVS plans.

FWIW, my sense was that the limited guarantee was more to protect RU than any reflection of what CVS plans.

Could be , but after 20 years as the RU WBB hc and face of the program, should Rutgers need to be protected from her.
Can see if it was a longer contract, but 4 years and, in my opinion, having the last two partially guaranteed doesn't look like Stringer is getting the respect her tenure deserves.

But it is a Rutgers friendly contact, so Hermann deserves credit for looking out for RU first and is doing the job she was hired to do.

A couple of possible considerations:

With regard to money, while Georgia most certainly has more financial resources available for salaries, the cost of living in Athens has be considerably less than the metropolitan NYC area. Therefore they don't necessarily need to pay Chelsea a lot more to make it economically viable. Miami may not have significantly more resources but if you like warm weather Coral Gables is a better place. Really depends on what is motivating the move.

Why Coach Jackson have thought she would be a strong contender to replace CVS? Her work at Washington was not particularly strong and if we were looking to replace CVS with someone from her coaching tree then I would give Coach Law the edge despite the lack of success at Illinois. To be clear I think we should start fresh and conduct a national search for the next coach.

Both Law and Mitchell did not do well as HC's after being top assistants under CVS. While I am sure there are success stories (not familiar with them) among CVS assistants who got their own gig, the recent results would suggest that being a CVS disciple might not be as strong a resume builder as it previously was.

If you were going to bring back a former assistant my vote would be for Marianne Stanley. I know its not going to happen but I think CVS can lead recruiting and I think Coach Stanley really added something on game day from a strategy and execution perspective.

Another former coach:

Coach Hughey wasn't here for long, but is now the head coach at Houston. They got destroyed in his first year this year, going 6-24.

Another former coach:

Coach Hughey wasn't here for long, but is now the head coach at Houston. They got destroyed in his first year this year, going 6-24.
OK - I think I know it isn't your intent - but don't use either Houston or Coach Hughey in a thread about CVS's coaching tree.

Why? - He has been at South Carolina, South Carolina State, UCF, Rutgers, Texas and Florida State (I think in that order) in his 11 seasons as an Assistant Coach.
Also - Houston was 3-26 in the '11-'12 season, was slightly under .500 the next year and fell to 6-25 in the '13-'14 season, as their coach left mid-season. To expect success from any coach in their first season - given the back history, especially - would be unrealistic.

I don't have any intent. I was just looking up former assistants who are now coaches.

Is there a limit on who I can and can't talk about? Do we throw out Coach Jackson, who's been here for 4 or so years, because of all the experience that she's had before coming to Rutgers?

I don't have any intent. I was just looking up former assistants who are now coaches.

Is there a limit on who I can and can't talk about? Do we throw out Coach Jackson, who's been here for 4 or so years, because of all the experience that she's had before coming to Rutgers?
I see I phrased it poorly. What I tried to say was that I didn't think Coach Hughey was a good example of coaches who would reflect a heavy influence by Coach Stringer, nor that Houston's record this past year says anything about his coaching skills. And I couldn't quite understand - given his experience - why someone would even mention him. But you certainly can.

I think every coach reflects the various folks they have played for and coached with. That said, I would think that Coach Stringer has had a lot of influence on Coaches Jackson, MItchell, Law and former head coaches Marianna Freeman and Angie Lee, none terribly successful as head coaches.

Perhaps like Coach Auriemma, Vivian's Head Coaching skills and style don't translate well to folks who have played for or coached with her. Certainly many fans who post on the UConn boards I read have concluded so about Geno, so it may also be true about Vivian as well. It is part of the reason that I would prefer Rutgers to look down a different route when Vivian retires.

A significant change was made,2/3 of Stringer's staff left.
I doubt that this was Vivan's doing.
It seems likely that the AD had some significant part in causing the movement.
Like lowering costs.

I'd be interested in why you say this. Neither salary was exorbitant and they still must be replaced.

I'd be interested in why you say this. Neither salary was exorbitant and they still must be replaced.
If one coach left then could be a move Vivan made on her own.But I feel the two leaving at the same time means there was some outside pressure.Possibly,an increase in salary for either of the two would not have been given.This is the same AD who wants to stop athletic support for end of the season banquets.

If one coach left then could be a move Vivan made on her own.But I feel the two leaving at the same time means there was some outside pressure.Possibly,an increase in salary for either of the two would not have been given.This is the same AD who wants to stop athletic support for end of the season banquets.
We'll have to agree to disagree. The end of the season banquet this year was much more elaborate and well received than the individual team events. And if a team wants to hold and underwrite its own separate event, there is no reason they couldn't do that.

Sometimes assistants leave because they feel future opportunities are better with a change of scenery.
Also the HC looking to change the style of play team has been doing because it's not as successful now as it was years ago
and the type of play being developed doesn't play to the strengths of the assistants that left.
All of what I said is just an uneducated guess, but just as valid as any other type of speculation without knowing what really cause the departures.

Sometimes it's just a move made because staying wouldn't be guaranteed long term and keeping career status quo instead of improving it.

Rutgers athletics is cutting back on lots of things.The idea that two assistant coaches with strong ties to Vivan leave at the same time being Vivan's call for two other no-top P5 locations strikes me as being unusual.After 20 years of Vivan being at Rutgers her changing her style in a significant fashion also seems unlikely.Also we all wait to see who her new assistants will be.That will certainly point out whether this was for cost cutting.

I don't know about this year, but here are the assistants' salaries for 2014:

Tia Jackson - $163,621
Tasha Pointer - $125,209
Chelsea Newton -$114,959

Even if you hypothesize that they didn't leave on their own, it's not like you'd save incredible amounts of money by replacing them with cheaper alternatives.

And, while I suppose you could construct a scenario in which they were told they were not going to be brought back but no announcement had been made, that does not appear likely. It's much more likely that they decided to take the new jobs on their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT