ADVERTISEMENT

The Cold Hard Facts about Adding/Subtracting an Assistant Coach

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
1. RU72 mentioned someone like Brett McConnell yesterday. Someone of that caliber will not be coming unless they are a full fledged assistant - meaning on the court and recruiting. That means that someone of the trio of Williamson, Knight and Thompson would be going. Knight is getting a lot of blame - rightfully so - for the poop show on offense, but he's not going anywhere as he recruited Dylan and Ace. That leaves Thompson and Williamson as the odd man out. People have been saying both are good at recruiting, but I am of the firm belief that with money, we can find a person who can recruit and has a 21st century plan for the offense. However . . . .
2. Jay Young is NOT that person. I think we can and should add him back as a non-recruiting assistant coach with the task of developing the big men. Which means Hahn or Larkin is a goner.
3. I think it is clear that this offseason is the most pivotal one of Pike's tenure. While he deserves all the credit for getting the program back to respectability, he deserves criticism for his roster management and major recruiting misses. As it pertains to this thread, I believe he made a MAJOR mistake for hiring Williamson instead of McConnell. He can correct that this offseason by hiring McConnell or the equivalent and saying goodbye to Thompson or Willliamson. If he remains stubborn and loyal, next year might mark the beginning of the end for the the Pike regime - underachievement is not an option for next year.

There is no question that the half court offense needs major improvement.Pikiell is a very loyal guy and isn't inclined to demote or fire coaches .Next season could be a deciding moment during his tenure because of Bailey and Harper being on the roster for only one year.There are very high expectations in the media and the fan base.The expectations should be that Rutgers will average more than 70 points a game to have a very successful regular and NCAA post season.Roster formation means new players from the transfer portal are needed that have proven scoring ability and that some players on the current roster leave.A status quo roster will lead to deep disappointment which will be reflected on the court.

Thompson. I don’t get his roll…at all. It seems it’s basically recruiting.

1. RU72 mentioned someone like Brett McConnell yesterday. Someone of that caliber will not be coming unless they are a full fledged assistant - meaning on the court and recruiting. That means that someone of the trio of Williamson, Knight and Thompson would be going. Knight is getting a lot of blame - rightfully so - for the poop show on offense, but he's not going anywhere as he recruited Dylan and Ace. That leaves Thompson and Williamson as the odd man out. People have been saying both are good at recruiting, but I am of the firm belief that with money, we can find a person who can recruit and has a 21st century plan for the offense. However . . . .
2. Jay Young is NOT that person. I think we can and should add him back as a non-recruiting assistant coach with the task of developing the big men. Which means Hahn or Larkin is a goner.
3. I think it is clear that this offseason is the most pivotal one of Pike's tenure. While he deserves all the credit for getting the program back to respectability, he deserves criticism for his roster management and major recruiting misses. As it pertains to this thread, I believe he made a MAJOR mistake for hiring Williamson instead of McConnell. He can correct that this offseason by hiring McConnell or the equivalent and saying goodbye to Thompson or Willliamson. If he remains stubborn and loyal, next year might mark the beginning of the end for the the Pike regime - underachievement is not an option for next year.
What if RU72 is correct and McConnell will be a head coach next year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT