ADVERTISEMENT

Does it make sense...

The reality is it’s been bad for a long time. It got masked due to heroics from some guys at the right time. This year we didn’t have that. We needed to rely on a system of fundamental play and IQ. We don’t have it. We don’t coach. And we got exposed.

It's like 98% the players, as evidenced by the fact that the same coach was able to produce much better offenses when he had better players.
He actually didn’t. It was fools gold. The amount of times we got bailed out by heroic shot making was incredible. We’ve never run a sound offense since Pike arrived. He’s a defensive coach first second and third.

In the top 15 of defensive scoring there 4 P5 schools - Houston, UVA, Iowa St, and UConn. Houston, UConn and ISU are all elite teams. UVA is a bubble team because they have a horrible offense.

The point - you can absolutely win with defense but if you don’t have an offense you end up at best a bubble team like UVA or us the last few years.

• Love
Reactions: runrutgersrun
The primary question for me.......does Pike think it is necessary?

You can't fix a problem if you don't know you have one.

I honestly am not sure if our offensive problems are any part coaching. I waffle back and forth depending on the day. It is brutally obvious we have an offensive problem. The question is why.
What is the one constant?

He actually didn’t. It was fools gold. The amount of times we got bailed out by heroic shot making was incredible. We’ve never run a sound offense since Pike arrived. He’s a defensive coach first second and third.
That's very silly. "Heroic shot making" doesn't significantly impact your efficiency numbers unless it's done consistently, every game, in which case it stops being heroic and starts being.. your offense.

You don't really seem to understand much about basketball.

Reactions: gregkoko and Zak57
So you’re saying we weren’t talented offensively this year?

Is this what you are finally saying Hawk?

Yes or No?

One word response!

Dude, you are not following instructions. The question was "how can an offensive coordinator " make an offense work, if the players don't have the ability to do everything above.

Let me spell it out slowly.....this year's roster top to bottom with JWILL is more talented than last year's roster. If you have the ability to understand defense and ratings, you will see the defense was better (clearly more talented) this year than last year.

You would also see more FT attempted this year vs last year.....you don't get FTs unless you can draw fouls or have the ability to do so.

What failed RU from improving, was poor FT shooting overall AND specifically poor FT shooting at home.

Is JMike Davis more talented than Jalen Miller on offense AND defense.....YES.....is Austin Williams a better player than Jalen Miller.....yes.

But if BOTH guards are at 50% and the other is actually sub 40% from the FT line, you create offense and then can't capitalize on it. There's literally no real explanation for missing THAT many FTs.

Did I think Gavin would struggle like he did....no.....is he more talented and offers more long term than 1 year of Cam Spencer.....YES, despite his struggles, I still believe it was the right decision and Gavin has clear talent.

Is Ogbole a better defensive player and rebounder than Reiber....?? I think he is, but he's woefully raw and another bad FT shooter....so we absorb another bad FT shooter, while trying to remain strong on defense. I think RUs defense was BETTER, and that was based on guard defense, pressure on the ball and we did so, without "your guy", Mawot Mag for half the season AND Caleb McConnell, a DPOY in the B1G.

I will say another 50 times....Cam Spencer and Paul Mulcahy are not players who can generate their own offense and would not have added much more in terms of winning this season. At least now, we have Davis, Griffiths and JWill as players who will be here next year. Investing in Spencer and Mulcahy and ultimately another investment in Mag, CLEARLY, turned out to be the wrong investment.

We are more talented....we definitely didn't win enough this year, but we were 4 points away last year from 3 additional losses last year as well. If you think last years finish and this year's finish aren't pretty much the same thing, not sure what you're looking at.

The difference is NOW, we have 3 players who are expected to be here in 2024-25, vs not knowing if or where Gavin, JMike (Or Simpson) and JWill fit

• Haha
Reactions: S_Janowski
That's very silly. "Heroic shot making" doesn't significantly impact your efficiency numbers unless it's done consistently, every game, in which case it stops being heroic and starts being.. your offense.

Went back and took a look.

2019-2020 ORtg: 102.5, FG%: .447
2020-2021 ORtg: 101.0, FG% .449
2021-2022 ORtg: 102.9, FG% .445
2022-2023 ORtg: 102.7, FG%: .431
2023-2024 ORtg: 95.6, FG%: .389

Obviously none of these are particularly good. But saying the four straight years where we had an almost identical offensive rating and FG% were “fools gold” and the one year where it’s significantly lower is a more true representation is kind of nonsense.

Lol. I played division 1 lacrosse which conceptually is very similar to basketball, only more complicated because there are more people on the field and it’s full contact. I also played basketball my entire life until college.

You seem to not understand what you are looking at. It’s not as hard as you seem to think it is.

Lol. I played division 1 lacrosse which conceptually is very similar to basketball, only more complicated because there are more people on the field and it’s full contact. I also played basketball my entire life until college.

You seem to not understand what you are looking at. It’s not as hard as you seem to think it is.
Apparently playing it didn't prepare you to analyze it well. That's fine. They're different skills.

Very simple to see. You just don’t know what you are looking at if you think we run good offense.

Very simple to see. You just don’t know what you are looking at if you think we run good offense.
The problem is this team doesn't have the talent to play the way they want to play. I always get confused when I see you guys saying they don't run an offense. They are running multiple things all game. But Im starting to understand that you guys want a methodical old school Princeton type offense, mostly passing and motion. That is good for teams that don't have the talent, so it probably would have lead to a better team this year. But Rutgers is aspiring to be elite. Elite teams don't run that type of offense. You have talented players and you put them in position to make the best of their talents. This team would have looked different if jwill and mag played all year, but it is what it is. They were without 3 or 4 players penciled in as starters this year. And also Fernandes was a recruiting miss. Let's not make this about offensive coaching.

The problem is this team doesn't have the talent to play the way they want to play. I always get confused when I see you guys saying they don't run an offense. They are running multiple things all game. But Im starting to understand that you guys want a methodical old school Princeton type offense, mostly passing and motion. That is good for teams that don't have the talent, so it probably would have lead to a better team this year. But Rutgers is aspiring to be elite. Elite teams don't run that type of offense. You have talented players and you put them in position to make the best of their talents. This team would have looked different if jwill and mag played all year, but it is what it is. They were without 3 or 4 players penciled in as starters this year. And also Fernandes was a recruiting miss. Let's not make this about offensive coaching.

They don't have the talent to make shots consistently. They do have the talent to at least get open looks consistently. But they don't. It can only be one of two things. Either they aren't being taught properly or they aren't listening. Neither is a good thing.

Dude, you are not following instructions. The question was "how can an offensive coordinator " make an offense work, if the players don't have the ability to do everything above.

Let me spell it out slowly.....this year's roster top to bottom with JWILL is more talented than last year's roster. If you have the ability to understand defense and ratings, you will see the defense was better (clearly more talented) this year than last year.

You would also see more FT attempted this year vs last year.....you don't get FTs unless you can draw fouls or have the ability to do so.

What failed RU from improving, was poor FT shooting overall AND specifically poor FT shooting at home.

Is JMike Davis more talented than Jalen Miller on offense AND defense.....YES.....is Austin Williams a better player than Jalen Miller.....yes.

But if BOTH guards are at 50% and the other is actually sub 40% from the FT line, you create offense and then can't capitalize on it. There's literally no real explanation for missing THAT many FTs.

Did I think Gavin would struggle like he did....no.....is he more talented and offers more long term than 1 year of Cam Spencer.....YES, despite his struggles, I still believe it was the right decision and Gavin has clear talent.

Is Ogbole a better defensive player and rebounder than Reiber....?? I think he is, but he's woefully raw and another bad FT shooter....so we absorb another bad FT shooter, while trying to remain strong on defense. I think RUs defense was BETTER, and that was based on guard defense, pressure on the ball and we did so, without "your guy", Mawot Mag for half the season AND Caleb McConnell, a DPOY in the B1G.

I will say another 50 times....Cam Spencer and Paul Mulcahy are not players who can generate their own offense and would not have added much more in terms of winning this season. At least now, we have Davis, Griffiths and JWill as players who will be here next year. Investing in Spencer and Mulcahy and ultimately another investment in Mag, CLEARLY, turned out to be the wrong investment.

We are more talented....we definitely didn't win enough this year, but we were 4 points away last year from 3 additional losses last year as well. If you think last years finish and this year's finish aren't pretty much the same thing, not sure what you're looking at.

The difference is NOW, we have 3 players who are expected to be here in 2024-25, vs not knowing if or where Gavin, JMike (Or Simpson) and JWill fit
So glad we lost Cam so Simpson could take all those shots and develop for Rider next season. That plan worked perfectly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT