ADVERTISEMENT

Collaborative Research

How many research universities are there in NJ: Rutgers, Princeton, NJIT, and maybe Stevens. I guess Rowan and Seton Hall if you really stretch it.

I suppose Montclair would want a mention. But as you said of the others ...a stretch.

For anybody outside NJ the list has only two entries.

Reactions: bigmatt718
For anybody outside NJ the list has only two entries.

And that is sort of my point. A program for Rutgers to collaborate on research with other NJ universities really means that Rutgers has a program to collaborate with Princeton. The number of potential collaborative projects with other NJ colleges is negligible by comparison.

This new colloborative arrangement applies even if the institution has not been designated as a "research university." Research goes on at all institutions of higher learning, regardless of their designation.

Reactions: rufancoe00
This new colloborative arrangement applies even if the institution has not been designated as a "research university." Research goes on at all institutions of higher learning, regardless of their designation.
Sure, research goes on, but the volume of research is much lower. That means there are much fewer opportunities for collaboration. It's tough enough to match research projects at two institutions for collaboration when there is lots of research at both institutions. When one of the institutions is doing a small amount of research, the chance of matching a collaborative opportunity is negligible.

Sure, research goes on, but the volume of research is much lower. That means there are much fewer opportunities for collaboration. It's tough enough to match research projects at two institutions for collaboration when there is lots of research at both institutions. When one of the institutions is doing a small amount of research, the chance of matching a collaborative opportunity is negligible.

Yes, but the formal designation of a university as a "research university" is less important that posters here seem to think. It's not as though non-research universities do no research. The label is mostly political; that's why Rowan was declared a "research university."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT