ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Pat Hobbs: Get us $4.5 mill for assistant salaries or stick a fork in us

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
Please let one be Mike Leach
tenor.gif
I would guess most coaches who've been around awhile have some baggage to consider. All I ask is that Hobbs does a very good job of due-diligence w/this hire. If, after objectively viewing as much data as can reasonably be put together, GS's name comes out on top? Then so be it.

If I'm Hobbs and my job depended on this, then I'd put in the time and effort required to look at all of this stuff before making a decision.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Mike Leach should also be floated to Greg Brown

Could you imagine how amazing it would be to have that offense running in Piscataway putting up POINTS?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Mike Leach should also be floated to Greg Brown

Could you imagine how amazing it would be to have that offense running in Piscataway putting up POINTS?
As much as I want him to be a serious candidate. He is too politically incorrect. He just lets stuff fly, and does not care. He would have some people in the administration and faculty up in arms.

Rutgers would need to add an analytics department. Not sure how much that would cost, but you can't survive these days without it. Rutgers must step into the modern era.
Agreed. Analytics are taking over at the pro level. Only a matter of time before the college teams start using them.

I think this is pretty much the staff schiano would pick. Maybe Bob Fraser instead of Partridge and vallone instead of panagos but this is just about the staff id see schiano wanting

I wonder if he would bring in some of his ex players as Assistant coaches

nobody has a solid warm feeling that Hobbs can figure this out.
Its not basketball,a little more complicated.
Agree. Hobbs has yet to show us anything football-wise other than finally firing Ash, which should have been done a long time ago. His job is 100% on the line right now.

over the past 4 seasons after you account for salaries and upcoming buyouts, Rutgers will have paid the former staff roughly $30 million, in other words $7.5 million dollars per year and what did that get us? Futility behind your wildest dreams.

Our 2019 assistant salary pool is right around $3 million with the head coach making $2.4 million, so right now our 10 man coaching staff and head coach make a combined $5.4 million.

If our next head coach is Greg Schiano think about the type of staff, excitement and the amount of tickets a $3.5 million head man can get you along with $4.5 million for assistants. I’ll lay out a very realistic example.

Greg Schiano- $3.5
OC- Phil Longo $800k
QB/ Co-OC - Nunzio Camp $400k
RB- Kolby Smith- $250k
WR- TiQuan Underwood $250k
TE- Brian Angelicho- $300k
OL- Bob Bostad $475k
DL- Jim Panagos- $350k
LB/ST Coordinator- Chris Partridge $600k
CB/Co-DC- Fran Brown- $500k
Safety/Co-DC- Ant Camp $600k

A MONSTER staff like this that would bring not only quality coaching but also the best of the best recruits would cost just $4.5 million. This 10 man staff in total plus the HC salary is just $8 million, just $500k more per year than our previous staff. If an extra 10,000 season ticket sales gets us $4.5 million, get ready for an extra 20,000 season ticket sales will get us an extra $8.7 million (spend $300k on hiring more people for the ticket office you’ll need it).

This type of staff means no future buyouts, retention like youd never believe, Nunz learning under Phil Longo in case Phil Longo (jersey native) ever gets a head coaching opportunity somewhere else, nunz can slide right into the OC role. This staff solves every problem we have. Revenue, identity, recruiting, competitive excellence. This staff gets you to a Rose Bowl within 5 years.

Balls in your court now Pat. Do we want to go on the cheap again and try to “save” $1 million in the assistant salary pool knowing damn well, with a quality staff like the one mentioned above, for the extra $1 million spent you’ll probably receive 3-4x that in revenue from ticket sales and donations? You’ve done a great job selling the donors on $100,000,000+ facility upgrades, can you sell the BOG on an extra $1,000,000 in assistant salaries on the schools single largest marketable asset? Get it done.

Amen. Either spend like a Big 10 school or get out!

Great staff but I highly doubt all those guys (hell, half of them) come here at the prices you've allocated. Will probably cost an extra million.

Great staff but I highly doubt all those guys (hell, half of them) come here at the prices you've allocated. Will probably cost an extra million.

Which - IF both he wants the job and we hire him - he may need to settle for a cheaper base salary and better incentives. I would like to think that he can put his ego aside this one time and do so.

Reactions: RUonBrain
The next head coach, whoever it is, should definitely be given a large budget for assistants. More importantly, any decent evaluation of a new head coach should examine the sorts of assistant's that coach was able to attract in the past.

The initial season for a new head-coach at RU will likely be the most attractive point at which to recruit really good assistants. Because they'll have about four years before a coaching change might happen. After that point, unless there's very rapid success in terms of wins/losses, the position starts looking too risky.

So to me, the ability of the new coach to immediately bring in really good assistants is critical to our success. And a lot of this comes down to personality and how that new head-coach is perceived across the nation.

I think it's probably safe to say that a lot of potential assistants are likely to be neutral to concerned about Schiano, based on his resume and on articles out of Tampa Bay about him. Most potential assistants are unlikely to have the same perspective as RU fans who are Schiano-lovers.

Which new head coach has the last baggage to overcome in recruiting great assistants to RU?

+1. I can't like this post enough, in addition to this we need to be in the business that every other big program is in, the "quality control" (or whatever terminology you want to use) coaches that are on the staff but not part of the official 10. Everywhere I look it seems like the teams are hiring more and more of these guys and we need to compete.

Rutgers would need to add an analytics department. Not sure how much that would cost, but you can't survive these days without it. Rutgers must step into the modern era.

Agree with this, can be mixed with the quality control coaches I mention above. As the Eagles, Patriots in the NFL and countless teams in NCAA and high school have shown, when you give your coach more information to make informed decisions and allow them to make that decision good things will happen. One of the biggest failings of Ash was his risk averse nature and not pushing the edges when he should have.

They could even use RU students as interns. I would have killed to develop a football analytics database and program if analytics where a thing when I was at RU. There may be a script that I used to format Bill Walsh Football stats from Super Nintendo somewhere on the archives of the old eden servers that they can start with.

Here's where you invest your money. Not new locker rooms, new weight rooms, new practice fields. You invest in good coaches that can recruit. And when they win, you invest in new locker rooms, weight rooms, and practice fields.

No, I think you need to circle back to all the "I ain't donating until they fire Ash" fans and ask them to cough up some dough. Let then put some skin in the game. It's put your money where your mouth is time folks.
Hire Schiano first. I don't trust you or this administration with any more skin until that happens. I have enough scabs from the past to last me forever.

Here's where you invest your money. Not new locker rooms, new weight rooms, new practice fields. You invest in good coaches that can recruit. And when they win, you invest in new locker rooms, weight rooms, and practice fields.

Rutgers the school MUST invest in the coaching. Donors MUST invest in faculties.

Must be BOTH

As much as I want him to be a serious candidate. He is too politically incorrect. He just lets stuff fly, and does not care. He would have some people in the administration and faculty up in arms.
Tracy Claeys his DC just resigned from WSU. Not sure the reason but they've given up 105 points in last two losses. I think he's a solid DC and has done a good job as Kill's DC at Minnesota. He's a name I'd keep in mind as DC too despite the poor start to this year.

Kevin Steele gave up 70 to WVU at Clemson was replaced by Venables but has rejuvenated his career in other stops including now at Auburn. Manny Diaz was considered a hot shot when he was with Mack Brown as DC went down the tubes for a bit then rejuvenated himself as well and is HC at Miami now. I think Claeys should be on the list as possible DC if his resignation just has to due with poor start to this year and not some off the field stuff.

Let me turn it around. Hobbs sends the email to fans to buy 10k more season tickets for more money to pay the assistance or stick a fork in us. How would you respond?

If you were a coach, would you go to the worst program with below avg facilities for avg pay?

Let me turn it around. Hobbs sends the email to fans to buy 10k more season tickets for more money to pay the assistance or stick a fork in us. How would you respond?
Id say who you hiring. If its schiano i trust he will get whoever he wants within reason so give me at least 4

Reactions: RUonBrain
We're not getting Brown and Camp for $500 and $600K. Move Brown to $675 and Camp to $750 and we get them. And those two are worth that kind of money.
Brown went out to Baylor and out recruited Texas guys for recruits. He can flat out recruit talent.

I'd tell Hobbs he doesn't have the right to ask me for one red cent considering the money I've spent over the past 10 years and the results he's achieved. Faith without results is over. I'm not demanding results. What I'm demanding is potential. What I'm demanding from this administration is a commitment from THEM that they are willing to do what it takes to provide a competitive Big 10 team and that they are not going to cheap out on the coaches, pocket the upcoming Big Ten funds, and pay lip service to winning Big Ten championships. What I'm demanding is that they provide at least a glimmer of hope, something that has been denied to Rutgers fans for way too long.

Frankly the idea that the State University of New Jersey cannot hire a decent head coach without begging for money from fans is depressing. If this is really true we don't belong in the Big Ten.

We're not getting Brown and Camp for $500 and $600K. Move Brown to $675 and Camp to $750 and we get them. And those two are worth that kind of money.
Brown went out to Baylor and out recruited Texas guys for recruits. He can flat out recruit talent.
Disagree. Dont think theyd cost that much

I'd tell Hobbs he doesn't have the right to ask me for one red cent considering the money I've spent over the past 10 years and the results he's achieved. Faith without results is over. I'm not demanding results. What I'm demanding is potential. What I'm demanding from this administration is a commitment from THEM that they are willing to do what it takes to provide a competitive Big 10 team and that they are not going to cheap out on the coaches, pocket the upcoming Big Ten funds, and pay lip service to winning Big Ten championships. What I'm demanding is that they provide at least a glimmer of hope, something that has been denied to Rutgers fans for way too long.

Frankly the idea that the State University of New Jersey cannot hire a decent head coach without begging for money from fans is depressing. If this is really true we don't belong in the Big Ten.
What do you think other schools are doing? Look at the donations of other B10 schools. We don’t belong but got lucky.

What do you think other schools are doing? Look at the donations of other B10 schools. We don’t belong but got lucky.
I don't think you're going to find posts at Michigan, Alabama, hell any school but Rutgers begging for money BEFORE they hire a new coach. The proof is in the pudding. Hobbs has to get this right if he wants my money.

Tracy Claeys his DC just resigned from WSU. Not sure the reason but they've given up 105 points in last two losses. I think he's a solid DC and has done a good job as Kill's DC at Minnesota. He's a name I'd keep in mind as DC too despite the poor start to this year.

Kevin Steele gave up 70 to WVU at Clemson was replaced by Venables but has rejuvenated his career in other stops including now at Auburn. Manny Diaz was considered a hot shot when he was with Mack Brown as DC went down the tubes for a bit then rejuvenated himself as well and is HC at Miami now. I think Claeys should be on the list as possible DC if his resignation just has to due with poor start to this year and not some off the field stuff.
Looks like he wasn't forced out due to performance but left for personal reasons...if that's the case hard to know if and when he'd be available in the future.

I don't think you're going to find posts at Michigan, Alabama, hell any school but Rutgers begging for money BEFORE they hire a new coach. The proof is in the pudding. Hobbs has to get this right if he wants my money.
Because they have the money. Look up what they get from their alumni vs RU. I’m sure Hobbs won’t have to ask if we are at the same level as those schools.

Hobbs hasn't asked. You have. Hobbs needs to hire something worth paying for.

Actually many do; you couldn’t be more wrong my friend.
This. Amazing just how naive so many on this board are. Hobbs appears to have a solid relationship with those that matter most right now - the big money folks. He has started to make us look like a real Athletic Department. The pieces are coming together. Football will be next.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Looks like he wasn't forced out due to performance but left for personal reasons...if that's the case hard to know if and when he'd be available in the future.

Looks like it wasn't personal reasons just a disagreement on solutions. I think he'd be a solid choice as DC, come back to the B10. Did a nice job with Minnesota's defense.

An Adam Fuller, Fran Brown or Claeys would all be solid choices. If the budget is there a defensive lineup with Brown/Claeys as co-DC would offer great potential on that side of the ball for an offensive HC.

Side note: Les Miles fired his OC Les Koenning this weekend. Promoted Brent Dearmon from within the staff...was formerly HC at NAIA Bethel which averaged 55pts and 540ypg last year. Like I said with Miles and Brown who they hire as staff, specifically the coordinators, would impact just how successful they are.

Hobbs hasn't asked.
So you haven't got a donation solicitation yet this year? Really. That strains belief.
Unless you never made it to the donor mailing list - which is a terribly low bar.

So you haven't got a donation solicitation yet this year? Really. That strains belief.
Unless you never made it to the donor mailing list - which is a terribly low bar.
Glad I haven't. The over $10,000 I've paid for last 10 years haven't been worth it. I'm not an alumnus either just a fan who used to have some pride in my state university's team. If you want to pony up for Faith without Results be my guest. I need more than what I've seen so far.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT