ADVERTISEMENT

For me, it’s Schiano or Bust

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
There is zero reason to believe that Schiano wants to never comeback here.

When he interviewed with Hobbs it turned out that his agent was just using Rutgers to get the Miami job, which he didn't get.

]

When he interviewed with Hobbs it turned out that his agent was just using Rutgers to get the Miami job, which he didn't get.
Agree there isn't one bit of evidence Schiano wants to come back or even return to coaching
But Rutgers might be his best shot to return as a HC because he hasn't a shot anywhere else except at a G-5 school and not one of the bigger programs.

Well maybe UConn, needing anything to garner interest might take a shot if Greg starts HC hunting.
Be like old times for Greg back in a Big East school except that's every other sport while FB is independent and probably will be in trouble surviving as one

...And then it wasn't his dream job anymore. In fact, it was so not his dream job that he left the program at a pretty terrible time and in a lousy spot. Look, the guy's got a right to go after whatever job he wants and can get, but he spent down almost all of the mythology he had created about Rutgers: the dream job, the only place he wants to be. And he left a numbers of kids from some top high school programs in the lurch. I disagree with the idea posted by a few here that he is one of the most respected men among New Jersey high school coaches. I'm not as dialed in as I used to be, but it's my impression that this is not at all true.

I recall when Schiano left, RU was not in the B10 and not destined to be in the B10. I remember how the rumors were flying that RU was possibly attractive to the B10 but then Nebraska was invited. Could not Schiano know how bad it would get for RU assuming the Big East started devolving? Add on the untenable NJ political situation and its growing frustration with athletic spend and it makes sense to bolt for an NFL gig given the opportunity, which he did...

Nowadays the politics are worse and I don't see a path for NJ spending more money on athletics. In fact, I am very pessimistic that the politicians will start trying to get their hands on the B10 increases once the subsidies end.

Where does that leave Schiano? I don't see him getting a P5 except for RU nor do I think there are any NFL gigs of merit coming his way. I also don't see anyone that can reverse RU's slide in ticket sales and create enthusiasm for recruits like Schiano. Neither RU or Schiano have a long time to turn things around and I think that will play into Schiano's favor.

It may not be a match in heaven but the stars are aligning for an Schiano/RU reunion. Will or can Hobbs make it happen?

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
He would only come back with guarantees that the money be right, free reign to hire whom he pleases, backing and non-interference from Old Queens and Trenton, and any other thing he wants.

And none of that has a prayer of happening until Rutgers gets a full B1G revenue share.

In for Schiano re-boot. Been rooting for this program since Dick Anderson took us to the big leagues and we have always been one coaching hire away from turning it. Seven coaches and only one turned Rutgers into someone to take seriously. Grabes had a moment but its just tough at Rutgers.

Schiano attacked the problem from every conceivable angle. He was the big presence in front. He marketed it well to recruits, to fans. He
branded the program, had all the slogans, had Urban and Belicheck blown away with what he was doing here. He pushed the kids to be their best and produced so many NFL players I've lost count.

I dislike this narrative that he could never win championships. In perhaps the strongest year in Big East history, we were a dropped ball vs. WVU from going to a big dance. How can it not be possible when you lived through it? When he had us on the brink?

Rutgers goal is to be Iowa. That's our near term ceiling and will be until the day you see decks getting put on top of decks at that stadium and 90,000 people are disappointed they are not one of the 90,000 at the game. That's a long way off. If that dream were to ever happen, its going to take one tough SOB to get us there. Schiano is the guy, there is simply no question.

Go get him Pat.

In one of the *many* Schiano threads -- maybe this one -- there are a couple of quotes from media people saying that Schiano really did leave the NE job for family reasons: his daughter is an outstanding soccer player at a high school in Columbus, and he doesn't want to disrupt her career by moving while she is still in high school. By doing a little Googling, I discovered the daughter is Katie, the youngest of his four children. Katie is indeed an exceptional soccer player -- and she is not due to graduate until 2021. So, at best, we've got a couple of years before he might return, even assuming he really wants to come back and that Rutgers would have him.

Ill bet anybody on this board whatever amount of money they want that Schiano is named the next HC at Rutgers before the end of 2019

Reactions: BlockR
In one of the *many* Schiano threads -- maybe this one -- there are a couple of quotes from media people saying that Schiano really did leave the NE job for family reasons: his daughter is an outstanding soccer player at a high school in Columbus, and he doesn't want to disrupt her career by moving while she is still in high school. By doing a little Googling, I discovered the daughter is Katie, the youngest of his four children. Katie is indeed an exceptional soccer player -- and she is not due to graduate until 2021. So, at best, we've got a couple of years before he might return, even assuming he really wants to come back and that Rutgers would have him.
He wants back into Coaching as a H.C.
I can tell you ,hes told that to ex coaches hes worked with.

Greg is about Greg imo.

He will assess his opportunities at the end of the CFB season and go for the best opportunities for himself.

Would his hs daughter want him to give up his FB career in order to watch her after school soccer team?
Of course not.

2020 is a most important season for Greg. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Greg is about Greg imo.

He will assess his opportunities at the end of the CFB season and go for the best opportunities for himself.

Would his hs daughter want him to give up his FB career in order to watch her after school soccer team?
Of course not.

2020 is a most important season for Greg. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

It's not a question of watching the soccer team. It's a question of putting her in the best position to succeed, and apparently Schiano and his family think that is best done by not moving. He's got plenty of money, and he can afford to follow his preferences.

BTW, while several in this thread insist that Schiano wants to come back here, I really don't see any reason why he would want to. He would have to do the same job he did before: make the team respectable. What glory is there in doing that again? Maybe he thinks he can make Rutgers a consistent top 20 team, but that will be hard to accomplish now that we have a tougher schedule than in Schiano's first reign. Yes, there were good teams in the Big East, but he didn't have to contend with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State every year. And I'm sure Schiano is very well aware of all of the barriers here to constructing a top 20 team.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Greg is about Greg imo.

Of course not.

Greg should be about Greg...who else would he be about? He owes us nothing and may quite likely not want to touch this white hot dumpster fire...but of course many think the RU job is all he cares about...

He wants back into Coaching as a H.C.
I can tell you ,hes told that to ex coaches hes worked with.

There is no contradiction between us. Maybe he wants to be a head coach again, but is there any guarantee that the Rutgers job would be his first choice? And is there any guarantee that he'd want a job before his daughter finishes her schooling in Columbus? The answer to both questions appears to be "no."

Greg is about Greg imo.

Of course not.

Greg is about Greg? Doubt Eric agrees

It's not a question of watching the soccer team. It's a question of putting her in the best position to succeed, and apparently Schiano and his family think that is best done by not moving. He's got plenty of money, and he can afford to follow his preferences.

BTW, while several in this thread insist that Schiano wants to come back here, I really don't see any reason why he would want to. He would have to do the same job he did before: make the team respectable. What glory is there in doing that again? Maybe he thinks he can make Rutgers a consistent top 20 team, but that will be hard to accomplish now that we have a tougher schedule than in Schiano's first reign. Yes, there were good teams in the Big East, but he didn't have to contend with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State every year. And I'm sure Schiano is very well aware of all of the barriers here to constructing a top 20 team.
IMO the challenges you cite would be motivation for Schiano. I would agree he will not do it if their is a family conflict.

Going 5-7/6-6 and playing in a bowl a half hour from campus isn't my idea of alive though either. When the Eagles fired Chip Kelly, I wasn't on my knees begging for Andy Reid back. Why? Because I know his history. I know he doesn't learn from his mistakes. He's KC's problem now. Point is, going back to a retread who hasn't been a HC in 7 years now, who most likely has the same warts he did last time he was here, is a joke to me.
tell that to kansas

Greg should be about Greg...who else would he be about? He owes us nothing and may quite likely not want to touch this white hot dumpster fire...but of course many think the RU job is all he cares about...
Urban is about Urban, Saban is about Saban and every great HC is about themselves when it comes to their careers .
So I agree with you Greg should be about Greg.
As for his caring about the RU job, he might remember it with fondness but won't forget what he had to do to make RU FB respectable and feel it's not worth the effort under the present circumstances.
Greg isn't going to accept half ass support from the administration and none of the possible Ash replacements that are in demand will settle for a half ass commitment to the FB program, from the Rutgers President on down , either.

I recall when Schiano left, RU was not in the B10 and not destined to be in the B10. I remember how the rumors were flying that RU was possibly attractive to the B10 but then Nebraska was invited. Could not Schiano know how bad it would get for RU assuming the Big East started devolving? Add on the untenable NJ political situation and its growing frustration with athletic spend and it makes sense to bolt for an NFL gig given the opportunity, which he did...

Nowadays the politics are worse and I don't see a path for NJ spending more money on athletics. In fact, I am very pessimistic that the politicians will start trying to get their hands on the B10 increases once the subsidies end.

Where does that leave Schiano? I don't see him getting a P5 except for RU nor do I think there are any NFL gigs of merit coming his way. I also don't see anyone that can reverse RU's slide in ticket sales and create enthusiasm for recruits like Schiano. Neither RU or Schiano have a long time to turn things around and I think that will play into Schiano's favor.

It may not be a match in heaven but the stars are aligning for an Schiano/RU reunion. Will or can Hobbs make it happen?
The BIG is aware some institutions might want to take the earnings from athletics and spend it somewhere else.The BIG policy,money from the sports package go.back into sports. They have goals too. Their goal is to be the best athletic conference in college athletics. You don’t get there without the resources. They provide the resources, they expect you to use them.
I’m not sure how.the wacky accounting figures into the equation though.( charging the athletic programs to rent gym space)etc.

You make it sound like Ash's performance the rest of the year is irrelevant. I have a hard time believing that if a miracle occurs and Ash stumbles into 4 or 5 wins that he'd be canned. The administration has shown an incredible appetite for underperformance.

Reactions: Spare130
You make it sound like Ash's performance the rest of the year is irrelevant. I have a hard time believing that if a miracle occurs and Ash stumbles into 4 or 5 wins that he'd be canned. The administration has shown an incredible appetite for underperformance.
I agree with you that 4 or 5 wins would actually fit the "significant improvement" description we keep hearing about.
But, we arent getting to 4 or 5 wins IMO, and yes I still would bet he gets canned even at the number of wins.

Greg is about Greg imo.

Of course not.

Tennessee walked away from him, in large part, because the vocal opposition was throwing the penn state pedophilia stench all over him. That and the mess in Tampa. What AD is going to risk hiring him knowing that backlash is a possibility? It wouldn't be an issue here. Probably other p5 bottom feeders fan bases might welcome him but he really fits best here.

Hobbs needs to hire him, support him and sit back and watch the way it really gets done.

ADVERTISEMENT