ADVERTISEMENT

For me, it’s Schiano or Bust

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
I think this is important to point out. While he has a lot of mileage on his tires and the game has certainly changed since 2010, this is not some 60+ year-old retread who has seen the game pass him by. As long as he is healthy and not burned out, this is a guy relatively young in the coaching circles who as the experience and knowledge of the area to turn a corner relatively quickly. I don't think this is a Petrino situation at all.
Bobby Petrino was 53 when he returned to Louisville, just as Schiano is now.

Last edited:
I was told by someone who knows him and family,
Yes, is the answer under certain conditions.
Its why he stepped away from Pats because he wants to Coach again,like in H.C.

I have no reason to question your source because I don’t have one but I’ve always thought there was a very logical reason why he didn’t stay — he went to NE as a consultant in an undefined role. There are number of guys who have those positions. They watch film, scheme up stuff for future opponents and occasionally go to practice but they’re not there full time. Once the DC job opened up BB wanted GS to take it, he probably said yes, but then thought about how it wasn’t what he signed up for so BB and GS agreed it wasn’t the right fit.

I have no reason to question your source because I don’t have one but I’ve always thought there was a very logical reason why he didn’t stay — he went to NE as a consultant in an undefined role. There are number of guys who have those positions. They watch film, scheme up stuff for future opponents and occasionally go to practice but they’re not there full time. Once the DC job opened up BB wanted GS to take it, he probably said yes, but then thought about how it wasn’t what he signed up for so BB and GS agreed it wasn’t the right fit.

Total speculation imo. The last two coaches who hired Greg were personal friends.

Greg’s resume since leaving RU has declined greatly. The 3 years he collected from Tampa for severance pay told me that his time as a HC was passed. Meyer and Belichick hired him as favors and he quit on Belichick well before training camp.

Rutgers may be the only FBS school that wants him as a HC.

Reactions: Treeman
Total speculation imo. The last two coaches who hired Greg were personal friends.

Greg’s resume since leaving RU has declined greatly. The 3 years he collected from Tampa for severance pay told me that his time as a HC was passed. Meyer and Belichick hired him as favors and he quit on Belichick well before training camp.

Rutgers may be the only FBS school that wants him as a HC.
Right or wrong and mostly wrong...after the Tenn fiasco, Rutgers may be the only P5 school that would take him as HC. Everyone else may say it was wrong what happened to him but they would never give him a shot now.
Myself, I think he could make us respectable by the time we start getting our equal share. And the beauty of that is...the moment we become respectable in the B1G, he or someone else, has a great shot to make the next jump.
I have always felt that once we made the B1G, if we ever made 3 straight bowls and maybe even one being a NYD bowl, we could make a quick jump to the next level.

I understand the rationale for wanting to bring Schiano back: His is a known quantity, He has already shown he can get it done here. He has the respect of a large portion of the fan base, local coaches, and community. Even if Schiano doesn't win a national championship, his upside is way better than what we have now under Ash. Picking someone else would either be a bigger risk, or much more expensive.

I also understand the rationale for objecting to Schiano. We know what his ceiling is, and other than capturing lightning in a bottle in 2006, his ceiling is not as good as we want to be. Being better than Ash is a low bar. There are plenty of examples of other coaches returning to where they had previous success, only to fail to achieve that success.

Assuming Schiano wants to return, I think those arguments balance out slightly toward hiring Schiano. But there is another huge risk: What happens if Schiano fails, or plateaus.

If we bring Schiano back, how long do we give him to succeed? What guarantees would we have to provide. And if he fails, how do we fire him. And if we fire him, does that relegate Rutgers to "coach's graveyard" status. I think if we end up firing Schiano, does that create the reputation that no one can make Rutgers a winner in the Big Ten, not even someone who was previously successful here.

When you factor in that risk, I think the pendulum swings back against hiring Schiano. I think it is much better to roll the dice on another coach, who most likely would be better than Ash, and if not the level of winner we want, can at least be a stepping stone on the path the high level success.
This seems like the most reasonable take on Schiano v2.0 on this thread. It's a fascinating possibility to discuss and every time the subject is broached in earnest on this board, it seems to generate a five-plus page thread. I think that says something about the interest the Rutgers football community maintains for him.

I agree with those who say his hire would immediately cause the ticket office's phone lines to blow up. He would bring immediate credibility to your base, that's for sure.

I'm not certain that it extends beyond your base, though.

Let me say this before I go on: Schiano v2.0 would be terrific theater mostly because everyone here has such a strong opinion about how it would go, and seeing it play out would be so compelling. You don't even have to be a Rutgers fan to think so; I love this topic despite zero emotional investment in the program.

But as long as I'm tossing my opinion onto the pile, I have to say that his successful return is far from guaranteed (aside from that initial spike in ticket sales), and could lead to the disappointing and awkward scenario Upstream posited above. I don't think there is any question that things would be better right away. I think we all know what Ash is and is not, and there isn't anywhere to go but up from here. Schiano is a pro who knows how to run a professional program (not in the SEC way, either!). As far as being the CEO of a program, I think the guy is as solid as they come.

But in many ways, he and his brand are not what they were the first time around. He was hired almost 20 years ago, and the program needed his youthful energy and borderline naivete for such a heavy lift. And let's just stipulate that what he managed to do was nearly miraculous. No, he never got Rutgers to the promised land, but anyone who remembers what he inherited in December 2000 knows how far he really took it - incredible.

How much of that "special sauce" does he retain, though? He made a lot of hay out of Rutgers being his dream job, and his seeming inseparability from New Jersey. He refused other, better jobs to remain there. Even as he struggled to get Rutgers over the hump, his integrity was unquestioned. It seemed to be a defining asset, and he seemed like someone poised to remain there forever as he endeavored with the program to do things never done there before...

...And then it wasn't his dream job anymore. In fact, it was so not his dream job that he left the program at a pretty terrible time and in a lousy spot. Look, the guy's got a right to go after whatever job he wants and can get, but he spent down almost all of the mythology he had created about Rutgers: the dream job, the only place he wants to be. And he left a numbers of kids from some top high school programs in the lurch. I disagree with the idea posted by a few here that he is one of the most respected men among New Jersey high school coaches. I'm not as dialed in as I used to be, but it's my impression that this is not at all true.

Then there is the matter of his national brand, which is most certainly diminished since 2012. There was the matter of coaching his Bucs players to go hard after the Giants' O-line in the waning moments of a decided game. You can think what you want about the philosophy, but he lost the battle of public perception on that issue, badly.

And the Tennessee thing: It wasn't fair to him, and it's easy to say that he may be having the last laugh on the Vols' fans now, but Clay Travis didn't start that uproar about Schiano/Sandusky/Penn State because he actually believed it. He started it to rally public support against the hire of a coach he thought was a bad football hire. And those fans ran with it because they thought the same way (though I guess many were gullible enough to also buy into Travis' rationale). Not matter what, John Currie lost his job over his desire to high Schiano for the Tennessee job. That whole affair did nothing good for Schiano's national brand. It will always be used against him in recruiting, if he can even land a job he considers worthwhile. There is a huge disparity between the way he is seen by the national college football community and the way he is recalled by the Rutgers football community.

I think he would do a creditable job upon any return to Rutgers (which supposes he has any interest in one, something most people I trust seem to think is most unlikely), but it's hard to say exactly what that looks like. My best guess? Frustrating seasons hovering around .500, an occasional 8- or 9-win season once or twice a decade, but just as many 4- and 5-win seasons. And that's the best-case scenario, since none of the data suggests anything better. The pool is a lot deeper now than it was in the Big East. He always recruited above Rutgers' level then, yet a league title always eluded him. How is he supposed to deliver on any real promise now, competing in a much tougher, deeper league as today's Greg Schiano: older, less hungry, stained by controversy (however unfair), hometown credibility spent down considerably? He can't sell "Rutgers is my dream job, come along with me and let's do it for Jersey" anymore, because now everyone knows it's not true, and he'll leave if given a better opportunity (which, again, is his right). That makes a difference when you've never actually won anything, but you're asking talented kids who can play anywhere and win anywhere to buy into your vision of what could be - one that a somewhat long record shows is simply beyond reach by him.

And then what? The idea that he could return is based on the idea that Schiano left on his own, and is always welcome back. And let's say he is, for the sake of discussion. And let's say he produced a decade of teams that averages out to five or six wins a year. Is that good enough? I know that kind of team would see great in 2020, but if it was clear you're not really ever headed anywhere and just merely avoiding weekly humiliation (which is something right now, I guess), do you want to continue with the v2.0 experiment? How do you fire him? Do you want the greatest Rutgers football coach of the modern era to be sent packing? How do you have him back in future years to celebrate notable teams? As it is now, he is the guy who will always bring the house down when he returns for ceremonial reasons. Without him, who is there to venerate that way?

Over and over on this board, you see the false choice of moving forward with Schiano or without Schiano when there is a whole world of candidates besides him. Making a good hire isn't easy, but it's not impossible, either.

I would take Moorhead 10X over Schiano. Nothing against Schiano, but strongly feel RU needs an offensive-minded head coach to get things moving in the right direction.
He is a guy I would be open to. Would need to know what his personality was like. Can he hold his own in a room of big name coaches? Can he carry himself well in a recruits living room? If he can, I am open to him. Whats the chances that we could lure him away from an SEC school for what RU is willing to pay?

Reactions: Knight Shift
$3.5 million should be the floor, with a ceiling of $5 or $6 million for an Urban Meyer type. In my opinion, I doubt RU will go to or near the ceiling.
I guess depending on what you mean by "Urban Meyer type", this ceiling doesn't get you there. Urban was one of 4 active coaches with national titles. Now there's 3 and they're all making $7.5 million+. Urban was making $7.6 million.

Their agents don't even call them with $5 million offers.

I guess depending on what you mean by "Urban Meyer type", this ceiling doesn't get you there. Urban was one of 4 active coaches with national titles. Now there's 3 and they're all making $7.5 million+. Urban was making $7.6 million.

Their agents don't even call them with $5 million offers.
He owes us $2.5 Million/year for pawning Chris Ash on us.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
I want Schiano back,but if not Naduzzi,Richt,or Jason Candle from Toledo who has won The Mac,was coach of year.
That Addazio crazy rumour has me worried that its so out there..........

Good chance
I doubt RU could afford a current p5 HC
There are strong rumours Addazio and BC will have a mutual split at seasons end and there is some connection to Addazio and RU people.I dont believe it,but its come up again recently.
How about Schiano as HC,Anthony Camp as DC,and Nunz Camp as main recruiter? Luv it!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Good chance

There are strong rumours Addazio and BC will have a mutual split at seasons end and there is some connection to Addazio and RU people.I dont believe it,but its come up again recently.
How about Schiano as HC,Anthony Camp as DC,and Nunz Camp as main recruiter? Luv it!
Schiano staff

HC- GS $3 mill

Co-dc’s: partridge and ant campanile (schiano will largely dictate the defense as we know)

LB- Partridge $500k

Safety- Ant Camp $450k

Corner: Fran Brown $425k

DL: Scott Vallone $200k or Jim Panagos $300k

OC: McNulty $650k

RB: Nunz Camp $275k

WR: Tiquan Underwood $200k

OL: Darnell Stapleton $200k

TE: Brian Angelichio $350k

ST Coordinator: Robb Smith $225k.

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
If McN gets no blame now because he has no QB (due to the HC) - does he also get no credit for 2007/2008 because he had a roster of NFL caliber players (due to the HC)?
Can't have it both ways.

Shouldn't the "greatest OC in RU history" and "best coach on staff" be able to show even a minimal sign of actual QB development and improvement?

What exactly is RU paying him for?
Is the situation that McN gets to just cash checks and has no responsibility to actually produce points? Nice arrangement if you can get it.

Maybe the QB coach should get the blame and not the OC?
If he were coaching me he wouldn't be producing points. But the problem is more than just the QB. We have a lack of talent all over the place compared to our conference mates.

This Football job is getting closer to getting a reputation as a "grave yard" job for Head Coaches.....Schiano could be a good choice right now....the defense will improve immediately....and maybe keep us close in games so the offense gets a chance to mature and steal a few games....Schiano defenses knew how to score and get the 12th man crowd going.

Moorhead's not going to sell tickets or create any excitement for at least 3 years. I'm not waiting that long.
Didn't realize the head coach's first priority is to sell tickets. Sounds like hiring Flood to save a recruiting class. How did that work out? Would rather have a coach who coach and has been highly successful in the P5 and puts a high powered offense on the field. That will sell tickets.

This Football job is getting closer to getting a reputation as a "grave yard" job for Head Coaches.....Schiano could be a good choice right now....the defense will improve immediately....and maybe keep us close in games so the offense gets a chance to mature and steal a few games....Schiano defenses knew how to score and get the 12th man crowd going.
The defense is not the problem. It's the offense. And the offense needs 9 quarters to mature, while football games are 4 quarters. We waited all last season for maturation, and it did not happen. Hold your breath waiting for maturation on offense. I want a proven winner as an offensive coach. Joe Moorhead and others check those boxes.

Didn't realize the head coach's first priority is to sell tickets. Sounds like hiring Flood to save a recruiting class. How did that work out? Would rather have a coach who coach and has been highly successful in the P5 and puts a high powered offense on the field. That will sell tickets.

Really? You don't think a head coach's job is to sell tickets and put people in the seats? At Rutgers, where every other day we hear how much money they lose on football? And how you think Flood's hiring was designed to increase attendance is beyond me. Sounds like you care more about what type of offense Rutgers plays than whether the program will ever be successful again. People will sign up to see Schiano next year. Morewho? No chance.

The anti-Schiano bunch should be careful what the ask for...
Terry Shea was picked by a Bill Walsh Selection committee. Expert on West Coast offenses.
that was real fun..
Ash was Urban Meyer's guy.... hmmm
Let's get an unproven guy, go in and recruit against the big boys. Don't worry he has a gimmicky new offense...

Guys, It's about the Jimmy and the Joe's.. Especially the line.. We need better recruiting or nothing matters.

Assuming Greg wants to get in the game again. big question mark..
1) he gives credibility back as a known legitimate D1 Head coaching hire.. We at least will be talked about.
2) Hire the assistants that are not ready yet, but could be the heir apparents in 5 years time (Ohio State Model)
3) Then Recruit, Recruit and Recruit... Greg can do this . No risk
4) He is a Jersey guy.. Get's it. No more silly misunderstandings.
5) Defense will be improve immediately...
6) Personality to match any of the Big Ten Coaches..
7) Put Fans back in the seats...
8) Who else is at this level candidate .This guy was offered Tennessee job a year ago. Do we really think hot outsider candidate want this challenge?

This is really obvious.

Terry Shea was picked by a Bill Walsh Selection committee. Expert on West Coast offenses.
that was real fun..
Let's get an unproven guy, go in and recruit against the big boys. Don't worry he has a gimmicky new offense...

Guys, It's about the Jimmy and the Joe's.. Especially the line.. We need better recruiting or nothing matters.

1) he gives credibility back as a known legitimate D1 Head coaching hire.. We at least will be talked about.
2) Hire the assistants that are not ready yet, but could be the heir apparents in 5 years time (Ohio State Model)
8) Who else is at this level candidate .This guy was offered Tennessee job a year ago. Do we really think hot outsider candidate want this challenge?

This is really obvious.

Maybe not super obvious...But while I used to be against Greg coming back- I see as our best option at this point for the money we would pay.

1) he gives credibility back as a known legitimate D1 Head coaching hire.. We at least will be talked about. He does give some credibility as he is a big name but much of the country will be watching and expecting him to fail. Other HC's could give more credibility but he tops the list for anyone under $4mil
2) Hire the assistants that are not ready yet, but could be the heir apparents in 5 years time (Ohio State Model) He needs to bring in a real staff with him...
3) Then Recruit, Recruit and Recruit... Greg can do this . No risk Always a risk and I never saw him as an ACE recruiter. He got good when he brought in ACE recruiters. And that was for one year. He will give some HS coaches room for pause and others are still a bit pissed off at him. But he will be leaps and bounds above Ash
4) He is a Jersey guy.. Get's it. No more silly misunderstandings. Yes, he gets it. And it is why he was the one guy that did what I doubt anyone else could have done here.
5) Defense will be improve immediately...How do we know this? At OSU, Ash was the better DC.
6) Personality to match any of the Big Ten Coaches..VERY TRUE. Greg can take a room from anyone
7) Put Fans back in the seats...He will
8) Who else is at this level candidate .This guy was offered Tennessee job a year ago. Do we really think hot outsider candidate want this challenge? If the Tennesee fiasco didn't happen, he wouldnt take it either. But it is his only real shot at coaching a P5 program.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Here’s what I always come back to:

If we could hire a guy who had his team in bowl games 9 out of 10 years, developed NFL talent, had a proven track record of building a program like ours, proved he recruit NJ and beat out the big boys for top talent, was a HC in the NFL and was Urban’s DC, we’d all be pumped.

But because the guy’s name is Schiano some people immediately dismiss it. The other options are so vanilla.

1) I think you forget that Greg played some of the easiest schedules in the nation on a yearly basis. These days we play a top 20 schedule, basically, every season.

2) In any conversation, calling other head-coaching possibilities “vanilla,” when we are talking about Greg, is pretty freaking funny

While I will happy for any change. Just realized that Chip Kelly was at one point The hottest HC in football. But the game completely passed him by so now he is no big deal and kinda sucks. He didn't changed, CFB did.

Just something to think about

While I will happy for any change. Just realized that Chip Kelly was at one point The hottest HC in football. But the game completely passed him by so now he is no big deal and kinda sucks. He didn't changed, CFB did.

I think what you are saying is we should hold onto Ash as long as possible and the game might catch up with him.

1) I think you forget that Greg played some of the easiest schedules in the nation on a yearly basis. These days we play a top 20 schedule, basically, every season.

2) In any conversation, calling other head-coaching possibilities “vanilla,” when we are talking about Greg, is pretty freaking funny

The schedule thing is so misrepresented. We play UMass, Liberty and BC this year. We also play the soft underbelly of the B1G in Illinois and Indiana. I mean — you’ve got to beat someone. That’s 5 games where we should be no worse than 4-1 (if we had a good coach). As for the other 7 games, absolutely they’re good teams but none of those teams outside of OSU are unbeatable. When GS was here, WVU was our “OSU” but he beat all of the other schools in the conference (some more/less than others).

Here’s my question — why is that we have to accept that we’re in a much tougher conference now, which is true, yet expect that we’ll still recruit/play at the same level when we were in the Big East? Get a real coach in here who knows how to sell RU and compete, and we’ll be right there in the middle of B1G. I have no doubt GS would do that.

As for “vanilla,” I guess we view GS’s personality differently. The guy commanded a room and sold a state on a football program.

Last edited:

Chip has zero motivation to do anything at this point. He has zero connection to ucla. Hes made money, he basically choose ucla to chill and relax.

that was real fun..

This is really obvious.
Nice summary and the choice really is obvious. One added advantage to hiring Schiano. If we loose big again and look like a low level FCS team a mid-season change is very possible. Greg is available now and can salvage this recruiting class - warm up the red helicopter.

This point may have been posted earlier but did not want to read all 234 posts. Which brings me to my last point - only GS generates this much interest in the fanbase.

Nice summary and the choice really is obvious. One added advantage to hiring Schiano. If we loose big again and look like a low level FCS team a mid-season change is very possible. Greg is available now and can salvage this recruiting class - warm up the red helicopter.

This point may have been posted earlier but did not want to read all 234 posts. Which brings me to my last point - only GS generates this much interest in the fanbase.
Nobody except Greg knows he is available now. Less than 2 months ago he decided to pull out on being DC of New England to focus on his faith and his family. Why would he take an even bigger job as a head coach requiring a major rebuild when he needs to focus on his faith and his family?

Willie Taggert, Justin Fuente or Chip Kelly when any of them gets terminated. Willie Taggert or Chip might be the first to be fired. They all look like having a real bad year.

Willie Taggert, Justin Fuente or Chip Kelly when any of them gets terminated. Willie Taggert or Chip might be the first to be fired. They all look like having a real bad year.
IIRC Fuente is owed 15 million, Kelly gets a 9M payment if fired any time in the first 4 years of his contract, Taggart I haven’t looked up but considering that they had to pay Oregon and he’s only in year two I’m guessing he’s owed a good amount of money still. Anything is possible but I’d be surprised if any of them are let go.

I don't believe Greg will be a savior , but will bring the team back to respectability and renewed interest from the fanbase.
Right now there are some dead set against him coming back and look at his last tenure as not good enough to want Schiano coaching Rutgers one more time.

I think the thought of a top candidate at multiple P-5 schools will give RU a wide berth for what will be offered to them and staff .
Leaving candidates like Ash and the G-5 HC that are looking to move up.
But some of those G-5 HCs and P-5 coordinators might worry about the support RU will give them and not want to jeopardize their future at a place they think won't give them the backing needed to succeed.
One more year where they are at might be preferable to them than gambling their future
at a school that's not fully committed to do what it takes to have a top program

With that in mind and hoping Greg learned from his mistakes along from Urban teaching him a better way to be a HC by example Greg Schiano might be the best choice to resurrect RU FB from the awful sttate it fell to after he left
Not happy the way he left, grin and bare it because he is in a profession that members usually strive for the top and Greg's in a profession that's being a HC in the NFL which he left for.
Remember if you want a winner (hc) to move up from the G-5 TO Rutgers, they are leaving for a better job (P-5) then the program that currently employs them and understand Greg did the same thing.
Make any excuse you want about his leaving, include the time-frame and recruiting, but it Basic comes down to he was offered a move up and accepted it. Live with that thought.

All things considered Schiano might be the best available, even though there might be better ones in the market looking to move up.

ADVERTISEMENT