ADVERTISEMENT

For me, it’s Schiano or Bust

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
Greg is a man on a mission?

Then why did he fail with the Pats in about a month?

Has Greg shown any interest in returning to RU, or are we just throwing his name around because he is all we know?
He wants back in, he wants to be here. He wants to come home. Have heard this from numerous trustworthy people

Then let’s get some BOG , BOT, And heavy weight donors as well as grass roots fans and alum to raise the temperature and make this happen.

Mo

If Schiano says no do we take Bust?
poster-Buster-Brown-1907.jpg

@kcg88 and @bigmatt718

I am still waiting for realistic head coaching options from you guys. It's so easy right? Schiano is a terrible idea, I get it. So what are your realistic options? Who is coming to Rutgers after the school has won 13-14 games in the last 5 years and has to play PSU, OSU, MSU and UM every single year.

Please, do tell. We are all waiting.

Maybe once you do your thinking you'll come to the same conclusion everyone else has.

Correct. To dismiss him out of hand is plain silly. Pitt is not an easy place to recruit to--location sucks. He is reeling in recruits from NJ, Florida and Texas. He has Charlie Partridge on staff, who has deep ties to Florida.
You have quite obviously never been to Pitt or “The Oakland” section where Pitt is located.. it’s a great college environment and mini-town within the city.
One walk around Oakland is as damaging to us as a walk around Iowa City

Did Narduzzi do it here?
Pitt is a far more attractive destination with money to spend
Disagree, i hated pitt when i was there. They also play in an empty nfl stadium. RU better job imo

@kcg88 and @bigmatt718

I am still waiting for realistic head coaching options from you guys. It's so easy right? Schiano is a terrible idea, I get it. So what are your realistic options? Who is coming to Rutgers after the school has won 13-14 games in the last 5 years and has to play PSU, OSU, MSU and UM every single year.

Maybe once you do your thinking you'll come to the same conclusion everyone else has.

This.

@bigmatt718 is quick to say no but has no realistic options.
It’s either Schiano or some other retread or some other coordinator.
There is no perfect candidate. Every candidate will come with question marks and warts.

Reactions: RUskoolie
This.

@bigmatt718 is quick to say no but has no realistic options.
It’s either Schiano or some other retread or some other coordinator.

It's such a damn hard question because no one is going to be liked by everyone, a guy with exactly Schiano's resume, but at a different school would get destroyed if brought up as a potential candidate here, so how do we compare any potential hires to Schiano in a reasonable way?

Anyway, a list of guys who seem to be very good coaches at a slightly lower level (and a coordinator). No idea who might or might not want RU.

Luke Fickell
Chip Long
Willie Fritz
Ken Niumatalolo
Mike Norvell
Bill Clark
Jason Candle
Lance Leipold
Jeff Tedford
Blake Anderson

and Jeff Monken, just because I like to see peoples heads explode when they think about running a triple option.

Reactions: Wolv RU
I would think being in the B1G would make his job easier
Maybe, could go both ways. In the Big East RU generally outspent most of the other schools, he wouldn't have that advantage, though he would obviously have an easier time recruiting.

It's such a damn hard question because no one is going to be liked by everyone, a guy with exactly Schiano's resume, but at a different school would get destroyed if brought up as a potential candidate here, so how do we compare any potential hires to Schiano in a reasonable way?

Anyway, a list of guys who seem to be very good coaches at a slightly lower level (and a coordinator). No idea who might or might not want RU.

Luke Fickell
Chip Long
Willie Fritz
Ken Niumatalolo
Mike Norvell
Bill Clark
Jason Candle
Lance Leipold
Jeff Tedford
Blake Anderson

and Jeff Monken, just because I like to see peoples heads explode when they think about running a triple option.
Snooz fest... lol
Except I’d love the triple option

You have quite obviously never been to Pitt or “The Oakland” section where Pitt is located.. it’s a great college environment and mini-town within the city.
Actually, I have been there. We visited Carnegie Mellon last Fall, and Pitt was nearby. I thought the Pitt area was just OK, but nothing to get excited about. Maybe it has been a while since you have been there?
Perhaps I am partial, but our son is living on College Ave at Rutgers, and I would take Rutgers hands down over Pitt based on location and environment, taking into account that there is a lot more open space and proximity to NYC.
Plus, Iowa City fans are rabid for the Hawkeyes. I have no idea if that is the case in Pitt. Probably overshadowed by Penn State fans.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Actually, I have been there. We visited Carnegie Mellon last Fall, and Pitt was nearby. I thought the Pitt area was just OK, but nothing to get excited about. Maybe it has been a while since you have been there?
Perhaps I am partial, but our son is living on College Ave at Rutgers, and I would take Rutgers hands down over Pitt based on location and environment, taking into account that there is a lot more open space and proximity to NYC.
Plus, Iowa City fans are rabid for the Hawkeyes. I have no idea if that is the case in Pitt. Probably overshadowed by Penn State fans.
I didn’t realize college Ave is filled with jazz clubs, rock clubs, micro breweries and great eating spots

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You say that now. After 3 or 4 years of 6-6 I guarantee it'll get old quick. A tiger doesn't change his stripes. Ask Louisville how Petrino did in his second go around or UConn with Edsall. I remember the losses to absolute dogshit teams costing RU a shot at a real bowl or even a BE title.

If GS had us at 6-6 in the B1G every year the stadium would be full, recruiting would probably push into 8 win territory and we would go to the best bowls we've ever gone to.

Sign me up for that in heartbeat

Reactions: rutgersal
Ha. What is your definition of not a snooze fest? If you are only Schiano or P5 HC with a record that kicks Schiano's ass, well then of course you're going to want only Schiano.
Don’t forget this either Mooby, our current situation is so bad it makes us a stepping stone job, anyone who managed to succeed here would be lauded and wooed away.
At least you wouldn’t have that factor with GS

Reactions: Steve91562
Don’t forget this either Mooby, our current situation is so bad it makes us a stepping stone job, anyone who managed to succeed here would be lauded and wooed away.
At least you wouldn’t have that factor with GS
I suppose that's true, but it's a high quality problem. If the next coach does so well that he gets lured away... Well, I'll take that. We can then argue for the next two decades about whether or not we should rehire him after he fails to catch on anyplace else.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I didn’t realize college Ave is filled with jazz clubs, rock clubs, micro breweries and great eating spots
Zapp gotta be honest those things werent attractive to me as a college student 18-22. I wanted a real college town (where the students live in all the areas close to off campus), I wanted sweaty basement parties, i wanted college bars. RU is pretty sweet in that regard. Cant see why an NJ kid both regular students or athletes would want pitt over RU

Reactions: Knight Shift

Disagree, i hated pitt when i was there. They also play in an empty nfl stadium. RU better job imo

RU is the better job long term but the cleanup at Pitt will be a lot easier. Their division is a joke. Ours is not. And they have a pulse and we do not.

Long term if RU gets to a be a regular even 6 win program then RU is by far the better job because it is a lot easier to sell our location, division/conference and stadium on campus.

In terms of cleanup though at the moment- the effort the new HC would have to put in- there's an argument it's the worst in P5.

I didn't realize college students went to jazz and rock clubs.
But Olde Queens, the Knight Club and other bars seem to be packed with Rutgers students. There are also plenty of great eating spots on and around Easton Ave. Most students are on a meal plan and are not looking for gourmet restaurants. Stuff Yer Face, Diesel and Duke, Mamoun's Falafel, Hansel and Griddle are packed with happy college students. And for nicer places there are lots- Frog and the Peach, Due Amici, and multiple other options.

I realize that some of our folks like to look down at New Brunswick as some sort of hideous city, but we have spent a lot of time on campus lately walking around and checking restaurants out. Bars and food--on par with most other colleges.

Pittsburgh is cool for a city its size. The topography with the slopes and rivers is also unique.

But once you get out of there there's not much of anything.

RU is 45 minutes to the beach, an hour to the mountains, NYC and Philly.

New Brunswick is vastly underestimated as a college town, especially as our own.

Pitt stadium is depressing to watch when Panthers play there.

Zapp gotta be honest those things werent attractive to me as a college student 18-22. I wanted a real college town (where the students live in all the areas close to off campus), I wanted sweaty basement parties, i wanted college bars. RU is pretty sweet in that regard. Cant see why an NJ kid both regular students or athletes would want pitt over RU

Finally, we agree on something! Still think the options and range of things to do around New Brunswick are outstanding. My son moved in a couple of weeks ago and loves it.

I suppose that's true, but it's a high quality problem. If the next coach does so well that he gets lured away... Well, I'll take that. We can then argue for the next two decades about whether or not we should rehire him after he fails to catch on anyplace else.
Plus you can put prohibitive clauses in a contract to prevent that. Heupel was at 10M and decreasing... I think Campbell’s was at 7 or 9 and decreasing so at least it’s a two way street not heads I win tails you lose.

I think everyone here knows where I stand with GS.

I would be thrilled with GS. I tend to agree that he would boost season tix. I would be in the bunch that would buy them again though even if we named the Piscataway HS HC as the new guy.

GS had a top 30 recruiting class when people thought we'd be playing on the Island of Misfit Toys. He beat tOSU for Davis. He beat the Cult for Savage among many others. With the B1G at his back he could get the players to overcome his admitted deficiencies on offense. Aside from 2010 after EL was injured, from 2005 on if not 2004 before the accident you walked into each game knowing we had a prayer, even against ranked opponents. We'd at least mostly make it interesting.

I graduated in 2007. GS will always have a special place in my class. I'll never forget walking down Easton Ave just high fiving people after Ville game. The air was electric. I've never seen anything like that.

The guy took Devin McCourty and made him from a 2 star into an NFL first rounder. And he wasn't the only one. He made us #1 in blocked kicks and other special teams categories.

Bottom line is quite simple. Do I think GS is going to beat tOSU regularly, win the B1GE regularly? No.

Do I think GS is going to have brain farts? Are we going to lose @ Indiana after beating the Cult at home? Solid chance.

Do I think GS is going to make us a 6-8 win team regularly, with a 10 win or 4 win season here and there? Yes.

Do I think GS is going to put butts in seats, sell out the stadium, generate excitement on campus and off? Yes.

The last two questions make the difference because it would mean revenue for a top OC, putting the school generally into the black and going to bowl games, some of the best we've been to, where GS has an expert record. GS won't be the Urban Meyer of RU...but he'll be the Kirk Ferentz, and I would take that in a heartbeat.

I think everyone here knows where I stand with GS.

I would be thrilled with GS. I tend to agree that he would boost season tix. I would be in the bunch that would buy them again though even if we named the Piscataway HS HC as the new guy.

GS had a top 30 recruiting class when people thought we'd be playing on the Island of Misfit Toys. He beat tOSU for Davis. He beat the Cult for Savage among many others. With the B1G at his back he could get the players to overcome his admitted deficiencies on offense. Aside from 2010 after EL was injured, from 2005 on if not 2004 before the accident you walked into each game knowing we had a prayer, even against ranked opponents. We'd at least mostly make it interesting.

I graduated in 2007. GS will always have a special place in my class. I'll never forget walking down Easton Ave just high fiving people after Ville game. The air was electric. I've never seen anything like that.

The guy took Devin McCourty and made him from a 2 star into an NFL first rounder. And he wasn't the only one. He made us #1 in blocked kicks and other special teams categories.

Bottom line is quite simple. Do I think GS is going to beat tOSU regularly, win the B1GE regularly? No.

Do I think GS is going to have brain farts? Are we going to lose @ Indiana after beating the Cult at home? Solid chance.

Do I think GS is going to make us a 6-8 win team regularly, with a 10 win or 4 win season here and there? Yes.

Do I think GS is going to put butts in seats, sell out the stadium, generate excitement on campus and off? Yes.

The last two questions make the difference because it would mean revenue for a top OC, putting the school generally into the black and going to bowl games, some of the best we've been to, where GS has an expert record. GS won't be the Urban Meyer of RU...but he'll be the Kirk Ferentz, and I would take that in a heartbeat.
you nailed it. Very well put

Reactions: NotInRHouse
If Ash is fired this year (I still think next year at the earliest, if it happens) it will be because of another horrendous, disastrous season, and the next hire will be made in full crisis mode. That really narrows the list of realistic candidates further. Strong consideration will be given to who puts butts in the seat and who can grow the fan base over the next 4-5 years, because those are real missing dollars. We're lost about 28K season tickets since joining the the B10!!!! How many annual millions is that? Not to mention the lost opportunity for growth in the fan base. Thinking of it this way, like a for-profit corporation, they need to hire the person who can stop hemorrhaging, today, and not so much worrying about 5-6 years from now.

Last edited:
Kyk brought up a point that I was going to mention. Thinking about Ash in a room with Franklin, Harbaugh, Meyer is embarrassing. Ash is a milquetoast as far as personality. Rutgers needs a charismatic HC. I have seen Schiano speak multiple times and I would leave the room wanting to put pads on and run onto the field. Shea, Flood, Ash, Anderson are/were boring as hell to listen to (I saw them all speak). I can just imagine what they are like in a recruit's home.
I don't know what the circumstances regarding Schiano's exit from the Patriots, he may be done with football. Anyone who says they know for sure he'd come back is full of BS, unless they've spoken to him or a family member. I also don't know the personalities of some of the other names mentioned (Narduzzi is boring as hell, heard him speak too) but charisma would be one of the more important traits I'd be looking for if I was interviewing the next candidate. Whether its Schiano or someone else, it will ultimately depend on how much will RU pay for its next coach.
I have heard, directly, from sources within the administration, both a member of the BOG and very close to Barchi, that there will be money to pay the next coach AND that the search committee will be looking for a presidential candidate that is more athletic-friendly. In his words, "Big Ten sports are very important and they know that it can't be pushed aside." This goes directly against what the mods on this and TOS have said regarding paying the next coach. I don't know who their sources are so I'm hoping my source is right and theirs is wrong.
Fingers crossed.

@kcg88 and @bigmatt718

The problem we have here and I know you understand it fully, Rutgers is NOT going to pay for a top guy. That is why Schiano is the realistic option.
If we were willing to pay...The guy I think would come and would tear it up here would be Rhule
We just wouldn’t pay enough to do it.

Just a few points:
1)I could only imagine what Schiano would do with a staff of coaches that weren’t poached by other programs ( for more money). BIG affiliation and better facilities.
2)Even though we won’t be getting a full share from the BIG we still should be getting $40,000,000 as of 2021. If Schiano didn’t work out we should be able to hire a quality coach.
3)Assuming Chris Ash doesn’t turn it around.

The more I think about it, the more I'm on board with Schiano returning. I don't think he is a sure thing by any means as far as wins/loses. I do think he is a sure thing to stabilize the fanbase and get returning season ticket holders quickly. There would be an instant boost in ticket sales compared to almost anyone else we could bring in. He would have the "it" factor on the recruiting trail and when interacting with fans/media to get people in the area to believe again.

Unless we are willing to open up and make a big dollar hire to a name coach like Mark Richt or someone like that (and we are probably talking $6mil per year or something to lure someone here), then I think the safe choice is needed at this point in time. We can't afford another 4-5 years of futility. It was so important to get off to a great start in the B1G when we joined to give that good first impression to fans around the country. We blew that. The longer we mire in this futility, the more we cement that everyone thinks of us as a joke....and the harder it is to climb out of it.

GS is the safe choice. I would much prefer that he was an offensive guru. I would prefer he was younger. But given our situation, he is what is needed to stabilize the situation at RU.

The problem we have here and I know you understand it fully, Rutgers is NOT going to pay for a top guy. That is why Schiano is the realistic option.
If we were willing to pay...The guy I think would come and would tear it up here would be Rhule
We just wouldn’t pay enough to do it.
I've never understood the Rhule hype. Guy is an average coach at best.

The more I think about it, the more I'm on board with Schiano returning. I don't think he is a sure thing by any means as far as wins/loses. I do think he is a sure thing to stabilize the fanbase and get returning season ticket holders quickly. There would be an instant boost in ticket sales compared to almost anyone else we could bring in. He would have the "it" factor on the recruiting trail and when interacting with fans/media to get people in the area to believe again.

Unless we are willing to open up and make a big dollar hire to a name coach like Mark Richt or someone like that (and we are probably talking $6mil per year or something to lure someone here), then I think the safe choice is needed at this point in time. We can't afford another 4-5 years of futility. It was so important to get off to a great start in the B1G when we joined to give that good first impression to fans around the country. We blew that. The longer we mire in this futility, the more we cement that everyone thinks of us as a joke....and the harder it is to climb out of it.

GS is the safe choice. I would much prefer that he was an offensive guru. I would prefer he was younger. But given our situation, he is what is needed to stabilize the situation at RU.
why would anyone want mark richt? The day he left Georgia they got better. Les miles 2.0

I've never understood the Rhule hype. Guy is an average coach at best.
story goes Rhule and Golden were not Coaches that were liked by many NJ HS Coaches. Rhule had his mini deep South Jersey pipeline for a while,but rest of state coaches didnt like him,or Golden.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT