ADVERTISEMENT

For me, it’s Schiano or Bust

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
Right now that 1000% improvement over this shit-show
You say that now. After 3 or 4 years of 6-6 I guarantee it'll get old quick. A tiger doesn't change his stripes. Ask Louisville how Petrino did in his second go around or UConn with Edsall. I remember the losses to absolute dogshit teams costing RU a shot at a real bowl or even a BE title.

Big,
Our program is dead.
15 to 30 season tickets the day he’s announced
Going 5-7/6-6 and playing in a bowl a half hour from campus isn't my idea of alive though either. When the Eagles fired Chip Kelly, I wasn't on my knees begging for Andy Reid back. Why? Because I know his history. I know he doesn't learn from his mistakes. He's KC's problem now. Point is, going back to a retread who hasn't been a HC in 7 years now, who most likely has the same warts he did last time he was here, is a joke to me.

Lol
I’ll take NFL talent all over the field and 50 thousand in the stands every game all day

Rutgers plays football on Saturdays, not Sundays. The fact that Schiano had all that NFL talent and still couldn't win the Big East is an indictment. He may very well be Rutgers only realistic option at this point, but that's because the hole Ash has dug is inconceivably deep. I just hope that the folks pining for him like he's their first true love, are realistic. The numbers don't lie - he's a 5 and 7 to 7 and 5 coach in the B1G.

Rutgers plays football on Saturdays, not Sundays. The fact that Schiano had all that NFL talent and still couldn't win the Big East is an indictment. He may very well be Rutgers only realistic option at this point, but that's because the hole Ash has dug is inconceivably deep. I just hope that the folks pining for him like he's their first true love, are realistic. The numbers don't lie - he's a 5 and 7 to 7 and 5 coach in the B1G.
You can’t pay a proven coach enough to come here.
You can get GS and create immediate excitement (not you of course) or hire another great interview.

Buffalo coach would stink here

Right now that’s 1000% improvement over this shit-show.
And not one coach we could afford would double the season tickets in one day!
Is that not important to you... interest in the program?
Winning championships and playing in real bowls are important to me. Schiano gets us a damn trip to Bronx every year at best and losses to a 4-8 Indiana with a NYD bowl spot on the line. That sounds dandy now, but in 2-3 years after getting to that point and realizing that's his ceiling, you'll want him out.

Greg is a man on a mission?

Then why did he fail with the Pats in about a month?

Has Greg shown any interest in returning to RU, or are we just throwing his name around because he is all we know?
Fail or left for personal reasons.
We'll never know unless New England or Greg says why he left.
But he wasn't on staff long enough to fail or succeed.

As forr Schiano's interest in returning to Rutgers, don't believe I've heard of him or anyone from Rutgers ( except the fans) saying anything about the possibility of Greg coming back.
Could be both sides have no interest.

It would be hard to imagine Schiano willing to return if RU didn't commit to doing what it takes
to support football .
Salary might be a problem, unless Schiano really wants to come back.
I don't expect RU to pay close to the going rate
Also don't know if Schiano even wants to coach again because of the reason he gave when he stepped down from the New England position ( he was never officially hired the Patriots never confirmed he was hired , or Schiano’s role with them. It was speculated that he would be their defensive coordinator.) :
“This is not the result of any one event, but rather a realization that I need to spend more time on my faith and family. I don’t want to look back years from now and wish I had done things differently. Therefore, I am taking time away from the game to recalibrate my priorities."

We can take from that anything we want, my take is he lost his desire for coaching because he felt family should come first and he felt that wasn't happening when he was in the coaching profession.

Winning championships and playing in real bowls are important to me. Schiano gets us a damn trip to Bronx every year at best and losses to a 4-8 Indiana with a NYD bowl spot on the line. That sounds dandy now, but in 2-3 years after getting to that point and realizing that's his ceiling, you'll want him out.
Going 6-6 and playing in a bowl here for 3 years running is worthy of HOF status.
Three years of bowl games here and we’d also have real coaches interested in coming here.
You couldn’t attract one to this horror show

You can’t pay a proven coach enough to come here. You can get GS and create immediate excitement (not you of course) or hire another great interview. Buffalo coach would stink here

And, you might be right about the level of interest.

I'd actually be excited to see if the Schiano experiment worked. Sh*t, any HC who shows a pulse would grab my attention. I can understand Schiano as a stabilizing hire...but fear a long-term financial hostage situation for 5 and 7 to 7 and 5 seasons. Maybe that's our ceiling. I don't know.

And, you might be right about the level of interest.

I'd actually be excited to see if the Schiano experiment worked. Sh*t, any HC who shows a pulse would grab my attention. I can understand Schiano as a stabilizing hire...but fear a long-term financial hostage situation for 5 and 7 to 7 and 5 seasons. Maybe that's our ceiling. I don't know.
GS would stabilize the program and make it attractive again to a real coach.
The coach after GS would be coming into sold out home games and positive perception.
6-6 and 7-5 would do that here

Over the past 2 years ive thrown around alot of names but after thinking long and hard about it, for me it’s Schiano or bust. Personally I don’t think theres a single better fit for RU than Greg Schiano. Here are the main reasons he’s our only logical option.

- On the field: he’s proven he still has it as he led 2 of the best defenses in 2016 and 2017 and in 2016 he improved the ohio state D and made them more aggressive as he increase their turnovers forced by 31%. An aggressive D is critical for us as it can be a game changer and swing games in our favor and give us hopes of an upset at any time. Spare me with the BS about last year, it was one bad year, lets not discount him having 2 of the best D’s in america in 2016 and 2017.

- On the recruiting trail: he’s proven he’s still got it. Won national recruiter of the year in 2018, just one year ago. Some guys have it, and Greg’s one of those guys.

-Financially: he would re-engage a fanbase that has been beaten to shit. In year one we’d see in increase in season tix holders by a minimum 7,000 season tix holders and within 3 years I firmly believe he’d get us back over 30k. Going from 16k now to 30k would mean an extra $10 mill+ a year in revenue between tix, concessions, parking, seat donation. These are the numbers Sarge recently reported.

- Coaching staff: Greg Schiano is arguably the single most respected football coach in the entire state. He is a superior to HS football coaches in the state and they listen when he speaks, ash is a subordinate as he listens when they speak. This will result in Greg having TONS of highly qualified candidates as they’ll recognize that hes here for good, he’s not leaving this time and assistants can lock on with him and have job security for 10+ Years as long as they perform because if they dont greg will can them as he believes in accountability. This will result in continuity like we’ve never seen before. Highly qualified candidates will trust Greg as he’s done it here before and this is home. It’s not some shot in the dark coach who they dont know who gets canned in 4 years. This is a guy they can come home and coach for and raise a family in one spot for a decade plus, something extremely rare to find as an assistant.

He’s a man on a mission: There are people in life who step up when challenged and those who crumble. Make no mistake, Greg is coming home to take names and prove alot of people wrong. Tampa, Tennessee, some ohio state fans, everyone whos run his name through the mud he’s coming for throats and the way a guy like greg schiano does that is with results. There’s something veryyy dangerous about a man whos out to prove doubters wrong. Lets not forget he has some unfinished business here. His goal isnt 6-6, his goal is national championships and he wont be afraid to say it.

Culture: Our football team right now is a bunch if wimps, theyve taken on the personality of their head coach, who has neutered them. When Greg comes in there will be kids who quit, there will be kids who transfer, this will be the dead weight, the kids who dont know what its like to play division 1 football. Greg will bring back accountability and discipline something the program is SEVERELY lacking at the moment.

Championships: I firmly believe Greg Schiano will have us competing for big ten titles. Laugh all you want, if youve ever been in a room or at a camp with Greg and heard him speak, he’ll truly have you believing you could do ANYTHING. He just has that type of moxy about him. Its not gonna happen overnight but youll be shocked how quickly we start taking it to blue bloods and coming out swinging, how quickly we start competing on the field and recruiting trail with programs who have eaten our lunch for the past 7 years. We’ll see consistent top 30 recruiting classes. Things will be exciting, we’ll be juiced up for the first time in a long time. Sellouts will become the norm, people will want to go to games, an RU ticket will go back to being one of the hottest tickets in town.

We need Greg, he needs us, Pat Hobbs make this happen
Welcome to the club - what took you so long?

I don't expect RU to pay close to the going rate
See...ultimately THAT'S the #1 obstacle.
Rutgers doesn't have the money, the fan interest, or the administration interest to ever get to the level of the top teams in our conference.
Schiano was our only shot. That ship has sailed.
I fear RU peaked with the Louisville game.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Winning championships and playing in real bowls are important to me.
And you're a Rutgers fan ?
You've seen absolutely nothing that would ever justify thinking of Rutgers playing in real bowls and winning championships.
I've been watching Rutgers football since the 60s and I've never seen any of that. How could a Rutgers fan think in terms of championships ?
Let's just hope we can beat Liberty.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I am not sold on the idea that Schiano would be a huge success with a B1G schedule second time around.

However, I am pretty confident that we would make significant strides in talent level and fan support to make up for what we lost since he left. So, even if he didn't win as much as we want as coach he would lay the groundwork for another chance of the program succeeding long term.

In a vacuum, I would prefer a younger offensive coach, but Flood and Ash have set us back so far I can at least see the rationale for bringing him back.

As many of you know on here...I have never been one to want Greg back. It has nothing to do with what he built here(deserves the damn stadium named after him. Don't know why we named it after our current HC) my reasons:
1) Thought he reached his peak here. 2) Great "builder" but not sure a great HC(X/O's) 3) We needed some good fresh offensive mind

But, at this point...If Greg wanted back- I take him in a heart beat. Not because he was recruiter of the year...That is just stupid talk. He is a big name ex College HC(like it or not, he built a national brand with his name) ex NFL HC and he is recruiting for OSU and Meyer. Not because he led two good defenses in 16/17 - those were actually Ash's defenses and his defense did not get better then they were under Ash.
But I take him because we are NOT going to get anyone with any "stain" to come here at this point. And he may be the one person who can make an instant impact on recruiting, perception and play. And it makes sense for Greg as well. It may be the one and only P5 HC job he can get at this point.
And for both Rutgers and Schiano- it would be a great stop gap fix. I don't want him long term but want him to stop the pain and for Greg, it is a great way to build himself up again.
On a lighter note- I would bust a gut if he did come here and stole Bama's OL coach. lol

3a5sxg.jpg

I am not sold on the idea that Schiano would be a huge success with a B1G schedule second time around.

However, I am pretty confident that we would make significant strides in talent level and fan support to make up for what we lost since he left. So, even if he didn't win as much as we want as coach he would lay the groundwork for another chance of the program succeeding long term.

In a vacuum, I would prefer a younger offensive coach, but Flood and Ash have set us back so far I can at least see the rationale for bringing him back.
The young offensive coach you speak of would be nothing more than an unproven head coach who interviews well.
A total crap shoot as to whether he could run a program.
I say that because NO proven offensive coach with head coaching experience would dare follow Ash.
Unless you’re open to a triple option, perhaps you could entice a coach from one of the service academies

Schiano gave RU a real identity. We had a presence and were not a joke. He was the face of Rutgers football and it was it was known for gritty tough teams. It was Jersey. He automatically makes us relevant and we would have a proven coach and a know personality in the world of coaching.

If he is rested and itching to finish out his career he should do it here. In Greg's early days he wanted to come to make Rutgers great. it was his dream. I can't beleive that dream was fully fulfilled. This next run (if it happens) will be his legacy and RU has a chance to be energized and respectable. No one else has this level of alignment of vision and mutual benefits.

As many of you know on here...I have never been one to want Greg back. It has nothing to do with what he built here(deserves the damn stadium named after him. Don't know why we named it after our current HC) my reasons:
1) Thought he reached his peak here. 2) Great "builder" but not sure a great HC(X/O's) 3) We needed some good fresh offensive mind

But, at this point...If Greg wanted back- I take him in a heart beat. Not because he was recruiter of the year...That is just stupid talk. He is a big name ex College HC(like it or not, he built a national brand with his name) ex NFL HC and he is recruiting for OSU and Meyer. Not because he led two good defenses in 16/17 - those were actually Ash's defenses and his defense did not get better then they were under Ash.
But I take him because we are NOT going to get anyone with any "stain" to come here at this point. And he may be the one person who can make an instant impact on recruiting, perception and play. And it makes sense for Greg as well. It may be the one and only P5 HC job he can get at this point.
And for both Rutgers and Schiano- it would be a great stop gap fix. I don't want him long term but want him to stop the pain and for Greg, it is a great way to build himself up again.
On a lighter note- I would bust a gut if he did come here and stole Bama's OL coach. lol

^^^ This! Getting ahead of myself here, but the past is prologue (built to last) didn't exactly work out the first time. I'll add - That's on the RU brain trust, not Greg. I hope if Greg returns, it's a decisive exclamation
mark to a storied career.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow

This was worth a like for that last sentence alone!!! Good stuff.

Nothing and I mean nothing, pisses me off more than our own fans crapping all over what Greg did here. If it weren’t for him most of you wouldn’t be on this board.

Absolutely blows my mind and exemplifies the low football IQ of our fan base.

Going 5-7/6-6 and playing in a bowl a half hour from campus isn't my idea of alive though either. When the Eagles fired Chip Kelly, I wasn't on my knees begging for Andy Reid back. Why? Because I know his history. I know he doesn't learn from his mistakes. He's KC's problem now. Point is, going back to a retread who hasn't been a HC in 7 years now, who most likely has the same warts he did last time he was here, is a joke to me.

Name a better candidate that is actually realistic for RU today. Please. Give us a name. Otherwise kindly STFU.

Mcnulty has actually run some good shit, he just doesnt have a qb because of ash

As for McNulty needing a QB, I will say this. If you are a top level coordinator or coach, work with what you have and game plan accordingly. Under Ash, our best season was when we had former B1G HC Jerry Kill on staff. I know he doesn't get great praise around here and he was dealing with major health issues in the second half of the season, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the first half of 2017 was the only time under Ash where we looked like a football team displaying some level of improvement, promise and at times competence. He was able to game plan to the talent on hand and help guide us to 3 conference wins. For some reason, we could win games with Gio at QB as we actually out game planned Illinois and Purdue. He also wanted to develop Flacco to take over in 2018. After watching the team since he left, I truly believe he was the major force in running that team early in the year. Ironically, the best season in the B1G under Flood was with Fridge as OC. I just don't think these two examples are coincidences.

What is my point? Guys who are proven head coaches in real conferences and experience winning big games matters. Call me crazy, but if I have an amateur as my head coach or a program in distress, I would prefer a guy who knows how to run a football team to be second in charge.

Nothing and I mean nothing, pisses me off more than our own fans crapping all over what Greg did here. If it weren’t for him most of you wouldn’t be on this board.

Rutgers fans can appreciate what Schiano accomplished (I do) and still voice their concerns about his short-comings and the challenges Schiano 2.0 may present. They're not mutually exclusive...nor do they represent 'crapping all over Greg...'

I hope you realize that as much as I never wanted him back previously, it had nothing to do with what he built here. I have often said he really does deserve a statue or something named after him. What he did here was amazing. I don't know if there is anyone that could have done what he did. First- he understood NJ and the BS that he had to bull rush his way through. Second, to stay here through the first few years and see it through. And as much as I don't think he is a great x/o's guy, he made Rutgers into a national brand and instantly recognizable. I also don't ever fault him for leaving to the NFL and never understand anyone that does. Even taking as many coaches as he did. It wasn't his first intent. He only came back for most of them when he could not get anyone from other NFL teams.

And you are also 100% right, I know I would not have been on this board.

Rutgers fans can appreciate what Schiano accomplished (I do) and still voice their concerns about his short-comings and the challenges Schiano 2.0 may present. They're not mutually exclusive...nor do they represent 'crapping all over Greg...'
Imagine getting Rutgers to a top 10 team in america within 6 years after ash is canned? Gregs done it already, terry shea = chris ash. But this time around he has facilities and a conference to sell along with the utmost respect of any man in NJ. Itd be a slam dunk

Imagine getting Rutgers to a top 10 team in america within 6 years after ash is canned? Gregs done it already, terry shea = chris ash. But this time around he has facilities and a conference to sell along with the utmost respect of any man in NJ. Itd be a slam dunk
While I don't see top 10 in Greg's future...hate to say this but after a few years here and if he is doing well, another big boy will come knocking and I bet he would take it. Also- just think he can max out with pushing for top 25 but 6-7 wins most seasons.
That is why I never really wanted him back. Even with the setbacks under Flood, I always felt it was a 2-3 year rebuild at most to get us to a 6/7 win team. And if a HC had come in here and had us in a bowl last year and projected for another this year(even if at 6 wins) then recruiting would take a huge turn forward and on we go. But...we have sunk to depths that are unwatchable and at this point, worse than where Flood took us. Except for better facilities(which makes it even worse). So, I think Greg can get us to where we should have been last year, faster than any other coach we could get at this point on the cheap.
It seems it would be a win/win at this point for Greg and Rutgers. A couple of years ago, neither wanted each other and now they are perfect for each other.

Greg is only 53, a young man

If he still has the fire and passion it's a no brainer to bring him home.

He will instantly give RU Football credibility

I think this is important to point out. While he has a lot of mileage on his tires and the game has certainly changed since 2010, this is not some 60+ year-old retread who has seen the game pass him by. As long as he is healthy and not burned out, this is a guy relatively young in the coaching circles who as the experience and knowledge of the area to turn a corner relatively quickly. I don't think this is a Petrino situation at all.

With that said, I honestly think the program could do much better than Schiano in terms of "taking the next step". Unfortunately, that line of thinking is sooo 2016. This program has utterly cratered in the last three seasons. Makes me truly sad. I'm actually shocked how bad things have gotten. Game three and once again there is a hopeless feeling among the fan base.

Now I've heard there really are legit coaches who see the light at the end of the tunnel here. I'm just not sure if they can bring the immediate impact and/or moxy that this program needs. I honestly can't believe I'm saying this, but I would be thrilled to bring the man home. Just don't know if there is interest on either side.

I think this is important to point out. While he has a lot of mileage on his tires and the game has certainly changed since 2010, this is not some 60+ year-old retread who has seen the game pass him by. As long as he is healthy and not burned out, this is a guy relatively young in the coaching circles who as the experience and knowledge of the area to turn a corner relatively quickly. I don't think this is a Petrino situation at all.

With that said, I honestly think the program could do much better than Schiano in terms of "taking the next step". Unfortunately, that line of thinking is sooo 2016. This program has utterly cratered in the last three seasons. Makes me truly sad. I'm actually shocked how bad things have gotten. Game three and once again there is a hopeless feeling among the fan base.

Now I've heard there really are legit coaches who see the light at the end of the tunnel here. I'm just not sure if they can bring the immediate impact and/or moxy that this program needs. I honestly can't believe I'm saying this, but I would be thrilled to bring the man home. Just don't know if there is interest on either side.
We also will not pay for a HC...

As for McNulty needing a QB, I will say this. If you are a top level coordinator or coach, work with what you have and game plan accordingly. Under Ash, our best season was when we had former B1G HC Jerry Kill on staff. I know he doesn't get great praise around here and he was dealing with major health issues in the second half of the season, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the first half of 2017 was the only time under Ash where we looked like a football team displaying some level of improvement, promise and at times competence. He was able to game plan to the talent on hand and help guide us to 3 conference wins. For some reason, we could win games with Gio at QB as we actually out game planned Illinois and Purdue. He also wanted to develop Flacco to take over in 2018. After watching the team since he left, I truly believe he was the major force in running that team early in the year. Ironically, the best season in the B1G under Flood was with Fridge as OC. I just don't think these two examples are coincidences.

What is my point? Guys who are proven head coaches in real conferences and experience winning big games matters. Call me crazy, but if I have an amateur as my head coach or a program in distress, I would prefer a guy who knows how to run a football team to be second in charge.
I have been pointing this out about Kill since last season. He recognized our strengthen and played to it. I know the man has health issues but he is someone I would also consider to run the program if GS was not interested.

Reactions: MoobyCow
While I don't see top 10 in Greg's future...hate to say this but after a few years here and if he is doing well, another big boy will come knocking and I bet he would take it. Also- just think he can max out with pushing for top 25 but 6-7 wins most seasons.
That is why I never really wanted him back. Even with the setbacks under Flood, I always felt it was a 2-3 year rebuild at most to get us to a 6/7 win team. And if a HC had come in here and had us in a bowl last year and projected for another this year(even if at 6 wins) then recruiting would take a huge turn forward and on we go. But...we have sunk to depths that are unwatchable and at this point, worse than where Flood took us. Except for better facilities(which makes it even worse). So, I think Greg can get us to where we should have been last year, faster than any other coach we could get at this point on the cheap.
It seems it would be a win/win at this point for Greg and Rutgers. A couple of years ago, neither wanted each other and now they are perfect for each other.
I dont think greg would ever leave, why would he? Itd make zero sense.

1) hes beloved here
2) hes been to the highest level already as a coach
3) his family is here
4) he saw what its like at blue bloods, probably not something he wants to take on.

Hed be a lifer imo even if he has every school in america banging on his door. Hes at a point in his career where its about legacy and finishing what he started and bringing his family home to the entire rest of his family

I have been pointing this out about Kill since last season. He recognized our strengthen and played to it. I know the man has health issues but he is someone I would also consider to run the program if GS was not interested.
I wouldn't consider him specifically (just because of health reasons), but the results when he was here and when Fridge was here show that it isn't some impossible task to improve the results and only Schiano can do it. Competent coaches can do it. Now, Schiano might well be the best/most realistic shot at getting a competent coach here, but he's not the only possible solution.

We’re stull several years away from full BIG revenue.
If Schiano can stabilize the program until then it’s a no brained.

Ok so the goal posts appear to be moving in this thread.

Instead of looking for a HC who can recruit and build a winning FB program at RU, we now are talking about bringing in a guy to Stabilize the program and hand it off the next HC who will create a more winning program.

That’s what I’m reading anyway. No question that Greg appears to be a good choice as a Hold the Fort HC.

Have others given up on the idea of the next HC doing it on his own without hiring Greg in the interim to clean up the current mess?

Reactions: MoobyCow

I was here long before Schiano. I’ll be here long after Schiano. But man, what fun times the Schiano years were. Bowl games, bowl parties, areyounuts parties, watching our players get drafted, feeling relevant and that we had a chance in any given here to do something special.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT