ADVERTISEMENT

For me, it’s Schiano or Bust

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
How many BE Champ rings did he win? How many times has he beat WVU? Going to the Pinstripe Bowl at 7-5 playing 5 bum OOC teams and winning 2-3 BE games isn't my definition of success. Plus how many times has he choked to trash like UConn?

Oh stop. He would have gotten there. The guy did miracle things here. Name one other guy who has even come close.

Name a better candidate that is actually realistic for RU today. Please. Give us a name. Otherwise kindly STFU.
Narduzzi would be a compelling case if he was interested. Not saying necessarily better, but probably at least equal. Knocking off #2 Miami and #3 Clemson in two different seasons gets bonus points.

Reactions: winfield102
Nobody's saying Schiano wouldn't be better than Ash. It's saying "Schiano or bust" that's the sticking point. There are plenty of coaches who would do a good job here.

Narduzzi would be a compelling case if he was interested. Not saying necessarily better, but probably at least equal. Knocking off #2 Miami and #3 Clemson in two different seasons gets bonus points.
He’d suck
Would he double the season tickets the day he was hired... I rest my case

Reactions: Steve91562
This is so insane.
Were you not here for the atmosphere and excitement of Louisville 2006.
Go god our fans are nuts

As a matter of fact I was on the field after that game. But whatever. It's kyk, PNJSF, and zappaa aka the "my opinions are fact" crowd so I'm not getting into this debate.

He’d suck
Why? Please give reasons.
To be clear, this was in response to name someone else.
I would be fine with Schiano coming back, but I would hope that after our last two hires, Rutgers does due diligence and considers several candidates and let the best man be hired.

I would be fine with Schiano coming back, but I would hope that after our last two hires, Rutgers does due diligence and considers several candidates and let the best man be hired.
Not enough excitement or stain.

Reactions: RUonBrain
It’s amazing to me that some fans believe there’s a coach out there that will come in and consistently win 8-10 games here. Getting 6-8 wins consistently in our division makes us a top 35-40 program. I’ll take that any day.

I think it’s great some people believe Championships here are possible, but that’s such an unrealistic goal. The same 2-3 schools win every year. We don’t have the commitment to the program or history that those schools do.

Hey, we can roll the dice on Leobold. I’m not impressed by him but I know he’ll be better than Ash. But, IMO, Schiano is the only answer.

It’s syllogistic logic to think Schiano coming back would fail because others have.

We’re in the B1G because of him. You can argue what you want but had Greg failed and we never had the success we did under him then Delaney passes on RU.

His leaving was unfortunate for us but he would’ve done better than Flood or Ash to this point. I don’t know how anyone could rationally argue against that point.

Oh, and the sorry excuses about the Bronx bowl doesn’t cut it. A decent 7-5 B1G team has more options and that’s also assuming Schiano’s B1G teams don’t exceed that record. Maybe he wouldn’t dominate Ohio State or Michigan every year but I bet he beats State Penn our first year.

But we will never know the past.

And most of the anti-Greg crowd would give a left nut for his return and a 6-6 record his first year. Otherwise you’re full of sh1t.

Reactions: rutgersal
The time to hire a coach better than Schiano was when Schiano left in 2012.....We f'd that up royally and took huge steps back....hate to break it to the Schiano-haters, but he would be a grand slam hire...No one better than him is coming here right now...no one....We need to get back to 6-6 / 7-5 / 8-4 seasons before we can take the next step....Schiano had us to that point in 2012 and we f'd it up by hiring Flood....We have to rebuild this damn thing...AGAIN!!!...So many boxes get checked by hiring him...it's a no-brainer if he is up for the job!

Not enough excitement or stain.
Beating the #2 and #3 teams in the country is not enough excitement?

Recruiting classes:

2015- Two 4 Star recruits, High 3 star Saleem Brightwell from Paramus Catholic, 1 Fl recruit

2016- Five 4 star recruits, Pulled in Phil Campbell and Maurice Ffrench from NJ, who has become a star WR, 3 FL recruits

2017- Three 4 star recruits, including 3 NJ recruits, which included QB Kenny Pickett, better than any RU QB since Nova. 7 FL recruits

2018- One 4 star recruit, 2 NJ recruits, 4 FL recruits.

2019- One 4 star recruit, 3 NJ recruits, 6 FL recruits

He has had classes rated 38, 36 and 24. No stain?

Here’s what I always come back to:

If we could hire a guy who had his team in bowl games 9 out of 10 years, developed NFL talent, had a proven track record of building a program like ours, proved he recruit NJ and beat out the big boys for top talent, was a HC in the NFL and was Urban’s DC, we’d all be pumped.

But because the guy’s name is Schiano some people immediately dismiss it. The other options are so vanilla.

I look at it this way as well; who else is going to come in here and metaphorically punch guys like James Franklin and Harbaugh in the mouth on the recruiting trail. Schiano is a fearless unapologetic guy in that regard and would relish that fight. I think Greg would be on a mission to take on pen st.

Anyone can call a good defense for OSU and anyone can recruit to OSU.

Schiano did a great job of building us up here but his play calling on defense would have yielded no difference against Iowa.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'll break it down like this... if we keep Ash or replace him with a no-name coach, a coordinator with no HC experience or some retread who nobody wants just to keep the budget < $3MM per year, I'm done as a season ticket holder after 15 years... no mas.

This program is in a make or break status point and that is not hyperbole. Keep this guy or f-it up with the wrong hire yet again or hire on the cheap and we may become a permanent doormat with average attendance figures in the 20K range.

He's by far not my first choice, but if Hobbs did re-hire Schiano for the job, I pay for my 5 season tickets and 2 parking passes in full the day the money is due.

Hey if you want to be 5-7 to 7-5 for eternity, that's cool. Just don't ever let me catch you bitching about it. If Schiano couldn't beat his daddy WVU, how the hell is he supposed to beat PSU or Wisconsin or Michigan?

What coach is coming here that makes you think they’d do better than 5-7 and 7-5 for “eternity?” Personally I would take that in a heartbeat right now over what we currently have.

Reactions: MikeRU09
Anyone can call a good defense for OSU and anyone can recruit to OSU.

Schiano did a great job of building us up here but his play calling on defense would have yielded no difference against Iowa.
I’ll take his recruiting record

Nobody's saying Schiano wouldn't be better than Ash. It's saying "Schiano or bust" that's the sticking point. There are plenty of coaches who would do a good job here.

You sure about that? Name one that Rutgers would have a realistic chance at.

Either start naming names or at least provide a credible source. While your hero gets all the props in the world for what he has done here before, he took us as far as he could. Your hero would be the “safe” move, not the best move.
I disagree with that. I think all the work that staff did getting players into the NFL was starting to pay off big time. Recruiting was taking off. Fan base was growing. He had us where we needed to be to take the next step.He made one mistake, he left.
The administration made penny wise and dollar foolish decisions and we are still paying the price.
I don’t think for one minute Schiano plateaued.

Reactions: Steve91562
Hey if you want to be 5-7 to 7-5 for eternity, that's cool. Just don't ever let me catch you bitching about it. If Schiano couldn't beat his daddy WVU, how the hell is he supposed to beat PSU or Wisconsin or Michigan?
7-5 gets you to a descent BIG Bowl. Descent bowls gets you better players. Better players get more fans. Etc etc.......
That’s how you build a program!

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The young offensive coach you speak of would be nothing more than an unproven head coach who interviews well.
A total crap shoot as to whether he could run a program.
I say that because NO proven offensive coach with head coaching experience would dare follow Ash.
Unless you’re open to a triple option, perhaps you could entice a coach from one of the service academies
That was why I prefaced that sentence with “in a vacuum”. We aren’t making this decision in a vacuum and I think Ash is leaving us in such a bad place even the right young guy might not be able to succeed enough in the narrow window before he loses momentum.

I view hiring Schiano as a decision that could be characterized as “lower ceiling, but higher floor”. I am pretty confident that the worst case for a Schiano return still leaves us with better talent and more fan support than we have now.

schiano is 1000x better option than narduzzi. Pitt fans want narduzzi fired. Narduzzi has no connection to Rutgers and is already washed up in this area. Schiano would mop the floor with him imo

Reactions: RUonBrain
It’s amazing to me that some fans believe there’s a coach out there that will come in and consistently win 8-10 games here. Getting 6-8 wins consistently in our division makes us a top 35-40 program. I’ll take that any day.

I think it’s great some people believe Championships here are possible, but that’s such an unrealistic goal. The same 2-3 schools win every year. We don’t have the commitment to the program or history that those schools do.

Hey, we can roll the dice on Leobold. I’m not impressed by him but I know he’ll be better than Ash. But, IMO, Schiano is the only answer.
leipold would be a snooze fest. Season tix would jump from like 16k to 19k just from the anyone but ash crowd coming back. It wouldn't excite me or many

schiano is 1000x better option than narduzzi. Pitt fans want narduzzi fired. Narduzzi has no connection to Rutgers and is already washed up in this area. Schiano would mop the floor with him imo

Narduzzi would have been a solid hire in 2016 and I would have preferred him to Greg at that time... not as much today. With that said, he would still check most of the boxes I would like to see in a RU hire for 2020, keeping in mind our budget restraints.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Beating the #2 and #3 teams in the country is not enough excitement?

Recruiting classes:

2015- Two 4 Star recruits, High 3 star Saleem Brightwell from Paramus Catholic, 1 Fl recruit

2016- Five 4 star recruits, Pulled in Phil Campbell and Maurice Ffrench from NJ, who has become a star WR, 3 FL recruits

2017- Three 4 star recruits, including 3 NJ recruits, which included QB Kenny Pickett, better than any RU QB since Nova. 7 FL recruits

2018- One 4 star recruit, 2 NJ recruits, 4 FL recruits.

2019- One 4 star recruit, 3 NJ recruits, 6 FL recruits

He has had classes rated 38, 36 and 24. No stain?
kenny pickett isn't better than laviano imo, pickett sucks

I look at it this way as well; who else is going to come in here and metaphorically punch guys like James Franklin and Harbaugh in the mouth on the recruiting trail. Schiano is a fearless unapologetic guy in that regard and would relish that fight. I think Greg would be on a mission to take on pen st.
here's how I think about it.

Think about ash sitting in a room with harbaugh franklin locksley day dantonio. Ash would be in the corner as the others kind of smirk looking at him with his head down. Schiano would be right in the middle as arguably the strongest presence there. The guy just has a presence and an aura about him

Narduzzi would have been a solid hire in 2016 and I would have preferred him to Greg at that time... not as much today. With that said, he would still check most of the boxes I would like to see in a RU hire for 2020, keeping in mind our budget restraints.
Correct. To dismiss him out of hand is plain silly. Pitt is not an easy place to recruit to--location sucks. He is reeling in recruits from NJ, Florida and Texas. He has Charlie Partridge on staff, who has deep ties to Florida.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT