ADVERTISEMENT

Despite a WD, Men's Golf Rallys at Mizzou's Tiger Intercollegiate Today

knightfan7

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2003
Manasquan, NJ
14 Team, 54 hole tourney hosted by Missouri. Field is headed by #5/9 Illinois and #25/25 Kansas State. Both squads have won 4 events this season. Illini is ranked higher because their SOS is a lot tougher. Illinois has won 12 of the last 13 B1G golf championships and with 2 players ranked in the National Top 20 should be favored again in the Championship at the end of the month.

After those two the next highest ranked team is #46/52 Mizzou. #78/83 Rutgers is the 7th highest ranked team by both Golfstat amd Sagarin/Golfweek.

Also competing are B1G foes Michigan, Minnesota, and Nebraska.

After the 1st round Rutgers finds itself in 4th place with a team -13. As expected, #5/9 Illinois leads with a team -19. Rutgers was lead by Weston Jones -6, 66 good for a tie for 3rd in the Individual Championship. Jones started with 3 Birdies on his first 4 holes and totaled 7 Birdies and 1 Bogey for the round. He was followed by Xavier Marcoux with a 4 Under, 68. Noah Kumar shot 70, Luke Wells 71, and Rhett Sellers 73. James Newton. playing as an individual, also shot 73.

1st Round Standings - Top 5

1, #5/9 Illinois................-19
2. #52/46 Missouri........-18
3. #64/60 Marquette...-15
4. #83/78 RUTGERS......-13
5. #77/75 Arkansas St...-12

Other B1G Teams

#121/114 Nebraska..........-4
#95/107 Michigan...........E
#81/92 Minnesota..........+5

The 2nd Round is well underway.

Tale of two rounds or what a difference a couple hours make.

Rurgers shot the 3rd worst round in the field, an Even Par 288. In the process they dropped from 4th to 7th. Nebraska who moved up to 6th not only made up a 9 stroke difference but finished 5 strokes ahead. Noah Kumar led RU with a 3 Under 69. No one else shot under par. Xavier Marcoux, Rhett Sellers, and Luke Wells all shot +1, 73s. Weston Jones shot 75. Playing as an individual, James Newton shot 84.

Top 7

Illinois...............-46
Missouri............-31
Marquette........-23
Kansas State....-22
Arkansas St......-20
Nebraska..........-18
Rutgers.............-13

11. Michigan.......E
14. Minnesota....+3

Final Round is tomorrow morning. Which team will show up?

Last edited:
Jones is 5 Under after 6 holes on his round today. With these shotgun starts you really can't read a lot into that. At one point yesterday afternoon RU was 2nd, 2 shots behind Illinois and we see where they finished.

I did the video overhead tour of the course while watching the Yanks last night. Very, very hilly. Generous fairways. Appears they tried to conform the layout to the terrain instead of moving a lot of earth which is nice imo. Alot I liked, a few had my head scratching, wondering what the architect had in mind with pot bunkers in the middle of several fairways and a large tree right in the middle of what appears to be a bailout area off to the side of a Par 5.

Rutgers rallied in the final round, shooting a team 12 Under, 276 to finish 5th and 1 stroke out of 4th at the Tiger Collegiate. The team accomplished this despite Noah Kumar having to withdraw after 5 or 6 holes, leaving them with only 4 golfers which is the minimum for team score. It was the 3rd best score of the 14 teams in the Final Round only surpassed by the 2 Top 25 teams Illinois and Kansas State

Kumar had been playing well this Spring so missing time would hurt.

Rutgers was led by twin 4 Under 68's by Xavier Marcoux and Weston Jones. Jones, who finished 8 Under good enough for a T12 actually started off 6 Under after 7 holes. Marcoux finished T16 at -7. Rhett Sellers shot 69 and Luke Wells a 71 so all 4 stepped up. Playing as an individual James Newton shot 79.

Illinois. ran away with the title by 28 strokes (68 Under). Individually the Illini Top 4 finished 1st, T2, 5th, and T16.

Final Top 7

1, #5/9 Illinois.......................-68
2. #52/46 Missouri..............-40
3. #25/25 Kansas State......-36
4, #60/64 Marquette.........-26
5. #83/78 RUTGERS............-25
6. #77/75 Arkansas State..-23
7. #121/114 Nebraska..........-20

Other B1G teams

13. #95/107 Michigan..........+7
14. #81/92 Minnesota..........+10

The team has definitely improved. This week last year they were ranked #112 by Golfstat. They should stay about where they were coming into this event or maybe move up a spot or two.

The team is back on the course this weekend at Purdue's Boilermaker Invitational. Then comes the season finale April 28-30 at the B1G Championship at Galloway National down outside Atlantic City.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango Two

Men's Golf Earns 5th-Place Finish at Tiger Collegiate Led by Weston Jones

The 22 Under was Illinois score for Round 3 as was Buchanan's -6. Illinois was 68 Under and Buchanan (#82 in D1) 22 Under.

No mention of Kumar's WD.

Reactions: Tango Two
Golfstat came out with their new D1 rankings this morning. RU has jumped from #83 to #75. More than I expected.

At this time last year they were ranked #112 so they're moving in the right direction, cementing their place as the top team in the NE. 75th also puts them at the cutoff for the top 1/4 of all teams in the country. After the win, Illinois is ranked #4 tied for the most wins this season with Vandy, UNC, and Texas A&M.

It appears they'll be competing against #11 Oklahoma this weekend if the schedule is correct. Perhaps get some payback for them taking Chris Gotterup lol.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Rutgers rallied in the final round, shooting a team 12 Under, 276 to finish 5th and 1 stroke out of 4th at the Tiger Collegiate. The team accomplished this despite Noah Kumar having to withdraw after 5 or 6 holes, leaving them with only 4 golfers which is the minimum for team score. It was the 3rd best score of the 14 teams in the Final Round only surpassed by the 2 Top 25 teams Illinois and Kansas State

Kumar had been playing well this Spring so missing time would hurt.

Rutgers was led by twin 4 Under 68's by Xavier Marcoux and Weston Jones. Jones, who finished 8 Under good enough for a T12 actually started off 6 Under after 7 holes. Marcoux finished T16 at -7. Rhett Sellers shot 69 and Luke Wells a 71 so all 4 stepped up. Playing as an individual James Newton shot 79.

Illinois. ran away with the title by 28 strokes (68 Under). Individually the Illini Top 4 finished 1st, T2, 5th, and T16.

Final Top 7

1, #5/9 Illinois.......................-68
2. #52/46 Missouri..............-40
3. #25/25 Kansas State......-36
4, #60/64 Marquette.........-26
5. #83/78 RUTGERS............-25
6. #77/75 Arkansas State..-23
7. #121/114 Nebraska..........-20

Other B1G teams

13. #95/107 Michigan..........+7
14. #81/92 Minnesota..........+10

The team has definitely improved. This week last year they were ranked #112 by Golfstat. They should stay about where they were coming into this event or maybe move up a spot or two.

The team is back on the course this weekend at Purdue's Boilermaker Invitational. Then comes the season finale April 28-30 at the B1G Championship at Galloway National down outside Atlantic City.
Wait the Big 10 championship is right in my backyard! I live like 20 mins away from that course! Any chance fans can go? I would love to go and support RU!

Wait the Big 10 championship is right in my backyard! I live like 20 mins away from that course! Any chance fans can go? I would love to go and support RU!
I would think so but perhaps call the course a little closer to the date.

I've never seem Galloway Nat'l. I've played Seaview which is a half mile? down NY Ave a couple times, Twisted Dune, and a couple others.

Reactions: RUAir-Raid
I would think so but perhaps call the course a little closer to the date.

I've never seem Galloway Nat'l. I've played Seaview which is a half mile? down NY Ave a couple times, Twisted Dune, and a couple others.
Same here I’ve played Seaview and Twisted a bunch. Both are beautiful courses imo. South Jersey low key has really good golf courses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT