ADVERTISEMENT

Does Greg finally have a Big 10 staff

jakeknight

Senior
Jan 29, 2009
Seems as though three years in with the 4th yr on the way do we finally have a big 10 coaching staff? There’s not much left on the original staff, the north Jersey hs guys ( Nunz and Hoffman) were seemingly a bust from both a recruiting and coaching standpoint, Fran Brown was a top 10 national recruiter but the secondary’s performance was lousy and virtually the whole original staff has been turned over, will be interesting to see where the skill and performance level ends up. We obviously still don’t have enough talent to deal with the premier teams in the east, can we finally make a move annd be competitive against the middle of the road teams teams in the Big Ten East and west.

With the "revamped" staff is there a "stud recruiter" in on the staff, and why does there seem to be a lack of jersey kids in the 23-24 recruiting class. Admittedly last year was a down talent year in NJ is this a growing trend?

There is at least a real OL coach and an OC who's produced competent offenses in other programs. It remains to be seen if Schiano lets KC run the offense he wants to run or we get the co-coordinator shit show we got the first time KC was here.

Last edited:
The coaching staff seems to have been upgraded along with the roster. Here's to hoping that results in a better record. As always, I'm cautiously optomistic.

Big step up no doubt. Especially Coordinators. Nice mix of experience and young energy. Very positive so far… let’s hope the worm is turning and we get that Bowl bid
Is offense a big step? We just gave KC a 500k raise . That is ridiculous.
Schiano and this board loved gleeson. Greg kept saying how great gleeson was and how he would be a HC . If Greg was so wrong on his read , that is troubling. Or he was full of BS

Is offense a big step? We just gave KC a 500k raise . That is ridiculous.
Schiano and this board loved gleeson. Greg kept saying how great gleeson was and how he would be a HC . If Greg was so wrong on his read , that is troubling. Or he was full of BS
Let them play at least one game before you attack the new coordinator -- or even a quarter.

Let them play at least one game before you attack the new coordinator -- or even a quarter.
I am not attacking the new coordinator . I am saying schiano said gleeson was great and would be a head coach .
KC got a huge raise. Was any other employer in the world going to give him even 250k raise? We gave him 500k ! I know he called one of the greatest drives of all time , 99 yards against schiano’s defense last year . So maybe ??

from reports, articles, coaching feedback, etc... sounds more positive then previous year. Wish it moved fasters, as other schools have turned around quicker, but it seems like it might be trending like GS part 1... could it be .500+ year... I am feeling positive.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
I am not attacking the new coordinator . I am saying schiano said gleeson was great and would be a head coach .
KC got a huge raise. Was any other employer in the world going to give him even 250k raise? We gave him 500k ! I know he called one of the greatest drives of all time , 99 yards against schiano’s defense last year . So maybe ??
At the moment, there isn't a lot, results-wise, to suggest RUFB does not carry a reasonably high percentage of risk of becoming sinking ship for assistant coaches. All else being equal, luring quality assistant coaches here is going to require some added incentive.

If GS and crew start to show more signs of progress (i.e. gets to 6 wins), I think the ship starts looking more seaworthy and becomes a more attractive destination with lower risk for assistants. If we get to 8 wins and GS gets an extension, maybe we can get decent assistants for less. Or maybe not.

My hope is that GS and this current group of assistants somehow figure out how to succeed. Because that's the fastest path to having more fun as a fan of the program. The alternative is we have to start over with a new coach which will take that much more time before success can be achieved.

Might be no choice but to move on from GS, but there's no guarantee the next guy will do better.

Reactions: FastMJ
I’m hoping he has more B1G level players.

Joe Torre became a great manager when he had great players.

Reactions: drewbagel423
from reports, articles, coaching feedback, etc... sounds more positive then previous year. Wish it moved fasters, as other schools have turned around quicker, but it seems like it might be trending like GS part 1... could it be .500+ year... I am feeling positive.
I'm evidence-based, mostly, and see no evidence of any kind that RUFB achieving success in the Big Ten is going to be anything but a massive challenge. Conference changes w/regards to east and west divisions could certainly help.

I'm not positive or negative so much as reserved in my opinion and waiting to see what happens. I think the program needs some good luck to build some recruiting momentum. And then some more good luck to maintain that momentum.

2020 we had some good luck. Not so much the past couple years.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Regarding Gleason, what would you expect GS to say about him while he was still on staff that he sucked and couldn't coach? Greg's history regarding terminating coaches/ coordinators in mid season is very unusual for him, in fact can't remember it ever happening. something really came apart internally to have this happen. On the other hand GS bears the responsibility for hiring Gleason. one thing for sure Nunz's dress rehearsal as OC was an unmitigated disaster.

Can this guy atleast
Having great players sure couldn't hurt, right?
🤔 maybe if you are desperate for talent, you don't let Fran Brown out the door. A smart coach gives Fran the DC job, a loser coach - let's him walk, and suffers from dud recruiting classes

Reactions: RutgersSam
He had an offensive line and a stud RB last year.

Can this guy atleast

🤔 maybe if you are desperate for talent, you don't let Fran Brown out the door. A smart coach gives Fran the DC job, a loser coach - let's him walk, and suffers from dud recruiting classes
You're making a ton of assumptions here, in an apparent effort to criticize GS.

First, if GS felt Fran Brown was qualified and the right person for the DC job, he probably would've offered him the position. I mean, why not? I would think that would've been much easier than finding a new coach.

And if GS didn't think Brown was qualified and/or right person for the DC job, then putting him in it anyway just for recruiting's sake, would be unwise, IMO. Perhaps GS discussed a co-DC position w/Brown as a way to promote him and entice him to stay. We don't know.

We also don't know if the GS/Brown relationship was workable. Maybe one or both wanted to end the relationship. This is also not stuff most coaches will ever discuss publicly.

We also don't know that, if GA wanted Brown, GA wouldn't have outbid us for him. For all we know, there were discussions along those lines. This isn't something most coaches will ever discuss publicly.

You're talking about the situation as if Fran Brown is a chess piece and GS could make him do whatever he wanted. But if real life was anything like the fan assumptions world, we'd have won a national championship already. Because GS would simply make all the players and coaches be perfect all the time. Because, again, why wouldn't he?

Reality is never that easy. Obviously.

Reactions: fsg2
You're making a ton of assumptions here, in an apparent effort to criticize GS.

First, if GS felt Fran Brown was qualified and the right person for the DC job, he probably would've offered him the position. I mean, why not? I would think that would've been much easier than finding a new coach.

And if GS didn't think Brown was qualified and/or right person for the DC job, then putting him in it anyway just for recruiting's sake, would be unwise, IMO. Perhaps GS discussed a co-DC position w/Brown as a way to promote him and entice him to stay. We don't know.

We also don't know if the GS/Brown relationship was
I disagree.. Regardless, Greg is cooked

Think staff is currently the best in second GS tenure. I think we are going to be surprised with results and/or competitiveness. OL and oC coaches are going to make a difference. Any half decent qb play will be the key to results.

Regarding Gleason, what would you expect GS to say about him while he was still on staff that he sucked and couldn't coach? Greg's history regarding terminating coaches/ coordinators in mid season is very unusual for him, in fact can't remember it ever happening. something really came apart internally to have this happen. On the other hand GS bears the responsibility for hiring Gleason. one thing for sure Nunz's dress rehearsal as OC was an unmitigated disaster.
So you’re saying he was BS’ing it ? I mean it’s one thing to support your staff . It’s another to basically scream to the masses the guy is gonna be a head coach . There is a huge difference . No one asked schiano if gleeson was gonna be a head coach one day, but Greg sure as hell let it be known that’s how good gleeson was

I disagree.. Regardless, Greg is cooked
Maybe he is. Maybe he's not. Would be better for all of us if he gets it together. But if not, we will start over with the next guy.

The thing I keep reminding people of, and nobody ever listens, is that the next guy is likely to repeat the performance of the prior 3, although the east/west change could make things easier.

There is at least a real OL coach and an OC who's produced competent offenses in other programs. It remains to be seen if Schiano lets KC run the offense he wants to run or we get the co-coordinator shit show we got the first time KC was here.
I don't think you can expect much from Offense this year. It is still at least another year away by which time the OL should be ready and perhaps there are a couple of receivers to balance run game.

Reactions: ScarletDave
I’m hoping he has more B1G level players.

Joe Torre became a great manager when he had great players.
Joe Torre didn’t get outcoached every game, nor was his strategy to avoid every risk imaginable. Schiano would intentionally walk a hitter with 2 outs and the bases loaded down 1 in the last inning to avoid a walk off 2 run single loss…instead playing for extra innings with a lead

question should be, 'will greg and the fanbase continue to find excuses for shitty performance'

Joe Torre didn’t get outcoached every game, nor was his strategy to avoid every risk imaginable. Schiano would intentionally walk a hitter with 2 outs and the bases loaded down 1 in the last inning to avoid a walk off 2 run single loss…instead playing for extra innings with a lead

Joe Torres strategies started working all of a sudden when he had the best players and best support. Funny how that works.

Since the return of Greg 2, he has been modifying his staff with mixed results.

Currently, does Greg 2 have a staff in place that can compete in the B1G Conference.

The jury is still out on that call.

Greg 1 proved he can win when in 2006 he directed Rutgers to a 11-2 record.

In a previous 10 page Thread (Rutgers in Rose Bowl in 5 years), Al claims that Rutgers needs significantly upgraded facilities to compete. I responded that good/adequate facilities are necessary but basically Rutgers can compete with the RIGHT HC/Staff. AL replied that Rutgers mainly gets recruits Rival 3-star players in lieu of many teams with many Rival 5/4 star players. My response is that the HC/Staff need to DEVELOP these 3-star into players who can win and be drafted into the NFL.

I personally think it is more important to spend more money for the COACH/OC/DC/STAFF that can produce favorable results rather than facilities (IMO).

All programs would like to recruit Rival 5/4 star players but getting them does not insure success so you have to develop the players you can get.

I told AL that Pitt like Rutgers mainly recruits Rival 3-star players but has had success in player development under Narduzzi/Staff.

Player Development in relationship to the NFL Draft within the ACC Conference.

What is surprising if you look at the last 3 NFL Draft years is that Pitt put more kids in the NFL/PITT-14 (Jorden Addison would have made 15 but did not count because of NIL Transfer) than every other ACC school (Example Clemson-13, UNC-13, VT-9, Miami-8, FSU-6). Almost every Pitt recruit drafted was a Rival 3-star recruit.

Does Greg 2 have the Right Staff in place to compete in the B1G.

Stay tuned and Good Luck.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT