ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t ovwrschedule in 2024-2025

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Way ahead of things….but next year is gojng to could take sone time to get things together …and you do not went to mess up the ncaa seeding with overscheduling

The fab 5 took their lumps in big ten play in January but stsrted to role in February into march . They finished 11-7 overall in the big ten and 20-8. Their 9 out of confrnce games was duke (defending champs ) and 8 very winnable games

Syracuse 2002-2003 is another example . Boeheim put the schedule together okaying a decent Memphis team out of the gate …but then waited for better TV games in OOC play in January and February against Missouri and Michigan state and okayed cupcakes the entire month of December leading into big east play
The Syracuse team played 3 frosh and 3 soph in their rotation . Young team also given a chance to grow up

And a common denominator to both young teams making a run is they got help along the way on who they ended up getting matched up with in later rounds …upsets happened to prevent them from real high seeds. Something you can’t count on

We can learn something from those two examples…and be really careful in what we do

We also have a 8000 seat gym that will be massively oversold …and should play games in local bigger venues to give real locked out fans a chance to go

My suggestion for the our out of league schedule ???

7 cupcakes at the RAC

Seton Hall at the RAC

Prudential center game against power 5 team

Duke as a stand alone game in the garden last Saturday in January …lead in to nfl playoffs

Jimmy V classic in December

There is enoogh meat on the bone in this proposed schedule to make the NCAA committee happy, and develop a young team …and keep pike’s wishes of minimizing the travel down to league play (and home for thanksgiving )

That’s how I would schedule if I could ….

Way ahead of things….but next year is gojng to could take sone time to get things together …and you do not went to mess up the ncaa seeding with overscheduling

The fab 5 took their lumps in big ten play in January but stsrted to role in February into march . They finished 11-7 overall in the big ten and 20-8. Their 9 out of confrnce games was duke (defending champs ) and 8 very winnable games

Syracuse 2002-2003 is another example . Boeheim put the schedule together okaying a decent Memphis team out of the gate …but then waited for better TV games in OOC play in January and February against Missouri and Michigan state and okayed cupcakes the entire month of December leading into big east play
The Syracuse team played 3 frosh and 3 soph in their rotation . Young team also given a chance to grow up

And a common denominator to both young teams making a run is they got help along the way on who they ended up getting matched up with in later rounds …upsets happened to prevent them from real high seeds. Something you can’t count on

We can learn something from those two examples…and be really careful in what we do

We also have a 8000 seat gym that will be massively oversold …and should play games in local bigger venues to give real locked out fans a chance to go

7 cupcakes at the RAC

Seton Hall at the RAC

Duke as a stand alone game in the garden last Saturday in January …lead in to nfl playoffs

There is enoogh meat on the bone in this proposed schedule to make the NCAA committee happy, and develop a young team …and keep pike’s wishes of minimizing the travel down to league play (and home for thanksgiving )

I would definitely sign up for that schedule.

Pike is very aware of the opportunities to expose RU MBB to a larger audience next season. He is entertaining invitations to neutral site games and RU’s price is going to be a lot higher than this year.
NYC area?

Reactions: ruinac
NYC area?
That’s certainly a possibility. Demand for tickets would be high.

Knowing Pike’s aversion to Fall tournaments and our expected reliance on freshman next season, I don’t expect him to enter one. More likely RU will play in a four-team one-day event.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don't see anything beyond Seton Hall as a lock for scheduling.

We also may not have more than 4 OOC games, since I fully expect 22 to 24 B1G games.

Maybe UCLA at MSG.....who knows what happens, but Bronny James might play more than 1 college basketball season, after his late start to his college career this season, due to his heart ailment. We could have Bronny James at the RAC.....

We will have more than enough quality opportunities and I have ZERO interest in sharing a stage with Duke at MSG.....RU is a headliner now, we don't need to split 18K seats with a bunch of tri-state area wanna-be Duke fans.

I would consider scheduling 1 OOC road game at maybe Tennessee or maybe a game in ATL, to showcase Ace Bailey and JMike in their backyard/region. Other than that, the OP is correct.....we have a lot of new faces and chemistry so pick one signature game, maybe 2 and expect B1G games to be featured with RU.

Bronny James and USC at the RAC or MSG.....?? That makes more sense. And there is no reason why the B1G can't select a couple of conference games in "neutral" venues.

I can see a Sparty B1G home game in Detroit, just like they played vs Baylor....

I can also see an Illinois home game at United Center.....

I can also see another B1G home game in Indianapolis, for the Hoosiers.

There are tons of options within the B1G framework, that will be more than challenging for this RU program.

I may be in the minority but if we don’t play Duke, Gonzaga, UNC, etc next year it will be a shame. Ace and Dylan are here one year. You play everyone, take some lumps if you have to, build the team throughout the year and don’t worry about your seed in tournament. They don’t matter anymore anyway.

I may be in the minority but if we don’t play Duke, Gonzaga, UNC, etc next year it will be a shame. Ace and Dylan are here one year. You play everyone, take some lumps if you have to, build the team throughout the year and don’t worry about your seed in tournament. They don’t matter anymore anyway.
I agree with this strategy as well. I wouldn't necessarily schedule a game against a decent team for day 1, but we need to maximize the exposure of the program as much as possible while we have such big time talent here. Local big games would be good. Holiday tournament would be even better.

If there was a hard knocks for college basketball, next year would be the year for us to do it.

Pike is very aware of the opportunities to expose RU MBB to a larger audience next season. He is entertaining invitations to neutral site games and RU’s price is going to be a lot higher than this year.
We shall see. He already missed on all the feast week events. I'll believe it when I see it.

7 cupcakes at the RAC

Seton Hall at the RAC

Not a whole lot of difference from the usual OOC schedule

You do what you can to make the tourney. Period. With the supporting cast Ace and Dylan will have overscheduling would be a land mine. Nothing will build the brand like a tourney run in March.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT