ADVERTISEMENT

Donnie Tillman

I watch alot of PAC 12 hoops. This guy was easily a top 10 player in the league this past year. Definitely in the Yeboah stratosphere of impact maybe greater if RU can pull this off. I have to think Michigan and UNLV are also going to be factors in this recruitment. However, if RU can get him for next year that books them in the tourney in 2020 and if some miracle he gets a hardship waiver approved for 2019 then we'll be dancing this year.
Agree that he was among the top players in the league, but overall the league was really down this past season so hard to measure how his success there will measure with rougher and tougher competition in the B1G. The PAC-12 was behind the B1G, ACC and SEC talent wise overall this past year. That said, he should be a positive addition for Rutgers if he comes. His mom is in Vegas I think so not sure how he gets a hardship to be 2500 miles from her.

this guy wont be around 3 years. So you want him to be playing this year

Except there really isn't room for him this year. Obviously there's a ship available, but there aren't enough minutes to go around at the 3/4 spots with Yeboah, Harper, Shaq Carter, McConnell, and Mathis (both of whom will need to see time at the 3 since the 1 and 2 spots are also pretty filled up).

A sit-out transfer of his caliber is the PERFECT scenario, because he can step right in to the 4 spot after Yeboah and Carter depart.

Except there really isn't room for him this year. Obviously there's a ship available, but there aren't enough minutes to go around at the 3/4 spots with Yeboah, Harper, Shaq Carter, McConnell, and Mathis (both of whom will need to see time at the 3 since the 1 and 2 spots are also pretty filled up).

A sit-out transfer of his caliber is the PERFECT scenario, because he can step right in to the 4 spot after Yeboah and Carter depart.
If he is not a sit out transfer then there could be more issues with players not happy with their playing time and could lead to a potential transfer. It's an interesting situation.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
this would be excellent, best outcome, even if sat out 1 to play 2. fingers crossed

If he is not a sit out transfer then there could be more issues with players not happy with their playing time and could lead to a potential transfer. It's an interesting situation.

In this case with the overlap in position at SG, SF, I would definitely think there would be a minutes crunch. We should be fortunate enough to land him first and assume he sits out regardless. I don't have any doubt that if he wanted to play next year, his best option to do that was at Utah.

I think these players have enough depth of information to know what options are truly out there before they hit "send" on the transfer portal.

Any combination of Mitchell, Hawkins and Tillman would be outstanding for 2020 with 1 extra ship in tow, if you somehow landed all 3. Or any combo of stretch 4, 4-5 and Tillman. It could be Gibson or Reiber out of NC or Stute out of DC.

In this case with the overlap in position at SG, SF, I would definitely think there would be a minutes crunch. We should be fortunate enough to land him first and assume he sits out regardless. I don't have any doubt that if he wanted to play next year, his best option to do that was at Utah.

I think these players have enough depth of information to know what options are truly out there before they hit "send" on the transfer portal.

Any combination of Mitchell, Hawkins and Tillman would be outstanding for 2020 with 1 extra ship in tow, if you somehow landed all 3. Or any combo of stretch 4, 4-5 and Tillman. It could be Gibson or Reiber out of NC or Stute out of DC.
Agreed completely.

Any combo you listed would put us in position to be tournament bound regularly moving forward

Agree that he was among the top players in the league, but overall the league was really down this past season so hard to measure how his success there will measure with rougher and tougher competition in the B1G. The PAC-12 was behind the B1G, ACC and SEC talent wise overall this past year. That said, he should be a positive addition for Rutgers if he comes. His mom is in Vegas I think so not sure how he gets a hardship to be 2500 miles from her.
Would be a great addition, but I don't know how a sixth man can be one of the best players in the league.

Would be a great addition, but I don't know how a sixth man can be one of the best players in the league.
He was super efficient last season in Utah's half court offense scoring 1.055 points per possession. That ranks in the 92nd percentile in the nation.

In their half-court offense Utah scored at least one point 46.4 percent of the time a possession ended with the ball in Tillman's hands.

As a jump shooter he connected on 44.1% of his attempts and his eFG% on jump shots was 59.5.

Just looking at his overall stats shooting is what he does, particularly off the catch. According to what I just read 65.8% of his jump shots were no dribble jumpers.

His efficiency made him one of the best guys in the Pac-12.

He was super efficient last season in Utah's half court offense scoring 1.055 points per possession. That ranks in the 92nd percentile in the nation.

In their half-court offense Utah scored at least one point 46.4 percent of the time a possession ended with the ball in Tillman's hands.

As a jump shooter he connected on 44.1% of his attempts and his eFG% on jump shots was 59.5.

Just looking at his overall stats shooting is what he does, particularly off the catch. According to what I just read 65.8% of his jump shots were no dribble jumpers.

“shooting is what he does, particularly off the catch.“

Stop talking dirty to me, Russ.

Do you have a prediction here Russ, or percentage of him becoming a Scarlet Knight?

Visiting Illinois next starting Wednesday.

And then a Michigan visit. They will be tough if they want him, IMO.

Last edited:
Visiting Illinois next starting Wednesday.

And then a Michigan visit. They will be tough if they want him, IMO.

Michigan was the logical destination as he's originally from Detroit

I haven't seen Michigan anywhere as getting a visit since they're close to closing out a 2019 European prospect that figures into their rotation this year and the next. Tillman has to make a career based decision, much more than the school closest to him.

Tillman will have to take a huge leap to become a locked in starter anywhere in the B1G for 2020, whether its RU, Illinois or Michigan. All 3 programs have wing players who can play in place or are recruiting well for 2020 at that position.

Tillman's situation is unique and I believe his recruitment will bare that out. It may be a bunch of factors beyond basketball that has this decision up in the air for awhile.

It's also the 1st time that RU has a priority transfer target and doesn't feel the pinch of absolutely having to have that player in order to improve the next season. As long as the 4 and 5 positions are recruited with some pieces to develop, we can be selective and confident that what's here can also get the job done.

Hopefully, he’s weighing all the same factors as you Hawk. I agree with every point you made but sometimes kid get sold a bag of goods.

Feeling less confident now that we know he's visiting more schools but we'll see. My gut was that we'd need to get the commitment while he was on the visit (or just after).

Even with an addition of a Euro player, Michigan would still have two open scholarships. They need to add talent with the loss of three underclassmen to the draft.

His mom was in Las Vegas while he played at a prep school there. She has epilepsy. The talk is that she will be moving back to Michigan. If Tillman goes to Michigan, there might be a chance for him to get immediate eligibility based on proximity to his ill mom.

That is something Rutgers and Illinois cannot offer. The fact that he put his name in the draft already makes it unlikely that he would rather sit out a year somewhere before playing.

If Michigan is not an option, that would change everything.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Feeling less confident now that we know he's visiting more schools but we'll see. My gut was that we'd need to get the commitment while he was on the visit (or just after).
I'm actually more confident now after reading the recap article. He sounded very enthusiastic about everything and calls us what I believe we are becoming and that an "unstoppable force." He heard the pitch but hearing it and believing it are two separate things. He sees that the puzzle pieces are actually here. I think we get him.

I'm actually more confident now after reading the recap article. He sounded very enthusiastic about everything and calls us what I believe we are becoming and that an "unstoppable force." He heard the pitch but hearing it and believing it are two separate things. He sees that the puzzle pieces are actually here. I think we get him.
It’s a premium article so I can’t share it, but he is saying almost the same things about Illinois even before the visit. Up and coming team. Ayo. Giorgi. Team needs a bigger wing. Great coaches. Can’t wait to see the facilities. Perfect fit.

I think it is an Illinois/Rutgers battle unless a Michigan school offers. Either would be a great choice. He is right about two up and coming teams.

I think he’s ours!
Ok, visit’s the city and loves it.
Visits Champaign and works out and works out and works out.

Duh, no brainer! [banana]

Last edited:
Get him, Geo!!
The only thing I will say is that every recruit who visited Illinois last year and said that Ayo was "his boy" after the visit ended up going elsewhere. Lol. There are at least three I can think of.

I was told that the Illinois coaches are very confident but that's probably normal. He supposedly had a great time with the UI team. Loved Ayo and Giorgi. Was impressed with Kofi Cockburn. Really, he can't go wrong at either place.

Also heard that there are a couple of other schools trying to get in late. One from the SEC and one from a smaller conference but close to his mom currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaycg15
I would think that there's a lot of crossover in recruits for both schools with Donnie Tillman and Coleman Hawkins also a target of Illinois.

Illinois had a couple of other 2020 and 2021 recruits there during his time there, either a good sign for them or a hedge, in case Tillman chooses some other school.

Both schools should feel confident in their futures regardless of this result.

Hawk, I was wondering if you have heard of any big events planned for New Jersey high school and AAU coaches and players to celebrate the opening of the practice center?

Reactions: RutgHoops
I agree - I think we get him. He will be a great fit after sitting 1 year.

Oh gosh ...this is huge

You get him ...and then one more big man (please be cliff ) ...we will be ready TO ROLL in 2020-2021...

Hopefully the school visited last doesn't win out as its fresher on his mind but the quotes seem more positive towards RU.

Hawk, I was wondering if you have heard of any big events planned for New Jersey high school and AAU coaches and players to celebrate the opening of the practice center?

I haven't but i would guess that a lot of these events are scheduled months in advance. My guess would be once the July circuit ends and school starts with kids back off the road, I'm sure there will be opportunities for all of our coaches to reach out and properly roll out the red carpet for the groups we focus on.

I'm sure the kid is a nice player and would be a great addition. There are, however, 60 starting basketball players in the PAC 12. How does not being one of them make you a top 10 player?

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I'm sure the kid is a nice player and would be a great addition. There are, however, 60 starting basketball players in the PAC 12. How does not being one of them make you a top 10 player?
Same way as in the B1G or ACC or Big 12. Some teams don’t have talent at a high level even in their starting 5. There are some teams like Kansas that have as much talent in the second five as a school like TCU may have in their top 5. It’s not linear.

I can’t name them, other than Tillman, that have much better stats off the bench, then they do as a starter. Not to mention the belief that some 6th man players are more valuable players then some of the starters.

The easiest thing to do would be to invite high school teams (on different days) to watch Rutgers workout in the new facility.

When the workout is over, the team gets a tour.

Russ, I have been a Rutgers sports fan since 1976 and this is one of the biggest steps forward our athletic department has taken. We might be the last Power Five school that doesn’t have a practice facility for the basketball team . Just a matter of days to go now.

ADVERTISEMENT