ADVERTISEMENT

Donnie Tillman

Russ, I have been a Rutgers sports fan since 1976 and this is one of the biggest steps forward our athletic department has taken. We might be the last Power Five school that doesn’t have a practice facility for the basketball team . Just a matter of days to go now.
I agree, it IS a big step forward for the Rutgers athletic department. Especially since it is a multi-sport facility. "Facilities" are a key part of any program's recruiting pitch to prospective student-athletes.

I don't think I have ever suggested that this isn't a good move by RU.

I see the Gators have had one for twenty years.
Because UF is viewed as a football school, many people, outside of the program, don't realize that Billy Donovan basically started elite camps and team camps. UF also has excellent facilities (just renovated the weight room in the practice facility).

They built a student-athlete performance and academic center a few years ago.

Same way as in the B1G or ACC or Big 12. Some teams don’t have talent at a high level even in their starting 5. There are some teams like Kansas that have as much talent in the second five as a school like TCU may have in their top 5. It’s not linear.
I understand the point you're making but their third place finish in the PAC 12 makes it not apply.

I understand the point you're making but their third place finish in the PAC 12 makes it not apply.
Again, not a linear comparison. Some players just do better coming off the bench or because a starting rotation doesn’t allow for that player based on coaching philosophy (e.g., 4 guards and a center).

They already had a scholarship open, but Illinois had Samba Kane enter the transfer portal today. Not sure if it means anything but if it does then it's not a good sign.

They already had a scholarship open, but Illinois had Samba Kane enter the transfer portal today. Not sure if it means anything but if it does then it's not a good sign.
Will Illinois file tampering charges?

I have lost track. When is Tillman making his decision? I know we got CJ Getty’s in August, but if Tillman picks RU, it would be nice if he could spend some time with the team on the Spain trip.

I have lost track. When is Tillman making his decision? I know we got CJ Getty’s in August, but if Tillman picks RU, it would be nice if he could spend some time with the team on the Spain trip.

Mid July is the rumor, so soon.

Did you read that somewhere or have inside knowledge or are you one of those Rutgers pessimists we see so often? Lol.
I agree that it would be nice if people who make such definitive assertions specify which of the above applies.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Tillman is expected to announce next week but I don't recall the date.

Well I guess it wasn't the 15th, as the near then is starting to come into play.
The 15th ain't over yet. Florida got a transfer commitment last night shortly before midnight. Tillman lives in Nevada, I think, that's a couple of time zones behind NJ, so if he does the late night thing it may technically be the 16th here but the 15th where he is.

Right now I still think Illinois leads, but I wouldn't be shocked if the kid doesn't announce tonight and takes another visit before deciding.

The 15th ain't over yet. Florida got a transfer commitment last night shortly before midnight. Tillman lives in Nevada, I think, that's a couple of time zones behind NJ, so if he does the late night thing it may technically be the 16th here but the 15th where he is.

Right now I still think Illinois leads, but I wouldn't be shocked if the kid doesn't announce tonight and takes another visit before deciding.
I need a midnight drop addition to RU

I don’t think Illinois or Rutgers is going to get him. He’s looking for something else. Well, his people may be.

Apparently Illinois assistant coach Orlando Antigua, known for his own recruiting tactics at past stops, has either decided to not meet the requirements for Tillman or has passed altogether. With 2020 recruiting this summer, maybe Illinois is using their focus on others prospects is better suited. At least that's what has been hinted at last night on a couple of places or message boards.

Sometimes players believe their value lies beyond just fitting in on a roster and a clean slate. Hope the kid finds whatever he's looking for.

Apparently Illinois assistant coach Orlando Antigua, known for his own recruiting tactics at past stops, has either decided to not meet the requirements for Tillman or has passed altogether. With 2020 recruiting this summer, maybe Illinois is using their focus on others prospects is better suited. At least that's what has been hinted at last night on a couple of places or message boards.

Sometimes players believe their value lies beyond just fitting in on a roster and a clean slate. Hope the kid finds whatever he's looking for.

Illinois is not paying players any more than Rutgers is. Antigua has never had any violations against. NCAA has never charged him with anything. He worked at Kentucky. He didn’t need to cheat. Your insinuations are baseless. I know him personally. Great guy.

Plus Brad Underwood would not put up with it. Neither would the AD Josh Whitman. Neither would the President of the university. You disparage my university based on nothing but rumor and innuendo. I would not do that to your school. It is insulting.

Illinois has not backed off Tillman. Rutgers has not backed off Tillman. If he ends up to one of those schools, it doesn’t mean he is getting paid.

Last edited:
Illinois is not paying players any more than Rutgers is. Antigua has never had any violations against. NCAA has never charged him with anything. He worked at Kentucky. He didn’t need to cheat. Your insinuations are baseless. I know him personally. Great guy.

Illinois has not backed off Tillman. Rutgers has not backed off Tillman. If he goes to one of those schools, it doesn’t mean he is getting paid. It could mean that his people could not find benefits elsewhere.

A quick google search on Antigua will suffice...he's a super nice guy and has relationships everywhere and I met both Underwood and Antigua at an UnderArmour AAU event in NYC a couple of years ago when Underwood took the job.

To not acknowledge that certain coaches have a reputation, is not truthful in college basketball circles. Not to change topics, but a well known assistant was hired by another school yesterday and one recruiting expert flat out tweeted that after this school landed a 4* player, to expect more commits. If others are clearly hinting at it and it's their full time job following this stuff, why not acknowledge that??

RU is or has a mandate to steer clear of going down that rabbit hole like other schools clearly do. I am pretty confident that whatever RU lands will be more than enough to keep momentum up, without the shenanigans some kids or their surrounding people request. If Illinois lands him, great, but to not acknowledge Antigua is known as a recruiting shark, would be false. They are recruiting heavily in the NYC area because that's an area Antigua grew up in and knows the best. It's just what the game is and likely always will be.

Orlando Antigua is a good guy, I miss talking to him. He's also good at developing big men. Recruiting shark? I've never heard that phrase before but his recruiting definitely struggled during his time at USF.

I don’t think Illinois or Rutgers is going to get him. He’s looking for something else. Well, his people may be.

His comments after his Rutgers visit struck me as unusually gushy. His quotes after the Illinois visit were more along the typical lines of what you hear from a recruit. But it's a complicated situation with his mother and all.

I still wouldn't be surprised if he winds up at Michigan.

It doesn't mean Tillman or anything regarding him or his family are bad or anything, it just sometimes means the timing is bad for kids to transfer. Without rewinding the entire timeline, Utah was shocked by the leave of absence, then the NBA draft talk when he wanted to be evaluated, to the transfer portal to learning about his mom and her health situation.

All of these factors make recruiting and transfers very tricky or fluid.

Without scrolling through hundreds of posts is there a current update on Tillman>

ADVERTISEMENT