ADVERTISEMENT

Doucoure is eligible

Shaq, Doucoure, Johnson, Sa, and Freeman are the only big men on this roster. You have to find 80 minutes from those five. There is no scenario in which Johnson does not play.

The poster that had his minutes at 4 has it right. To me that is basically not playing since those minutes will come during extenuating circumstances (foul trouble, blowouts, etc)

The poster that had his minutes at 4 has it right. To me that is basically not playing since those minutes will come during extenuating circumstances (foul trouble, blowouts, etc)

Unless you have access to watch these players more than I have I don't know how you can have any confidence in how good or not good (November 2017) any of these 4 are.

Here is how I see the distribution of minutes by January:

Guards (80):
- Sanders - 30
- Williams- 24
- Baker - 14
- Mensah - 12

Wing (40)
- Thiam - 24
- Omoruyi - 12
- Baker/Williams (when we go small) - 4

Bigs (80)
- Freeman - 28
- Sa - 16
- Doucoure - 16
- Doorson - 8
- Omoruyi - 8
- Johnson - 4

So, overall, that'd be (with delta from last year):

30 - Sanders (same)
28 - Freeman (+1)
26 - Williams (same)
24 - Thiam (+6)
20 - Omoruyi (+8)
16 - Baker (new)
16 - Doucoure (new)
16 - Sa (+3)
12 - Mensah (new)
8 - Doorson (-1)
4 - Johnson (new)
<1 - Bullock, Dadika (walkon), Nathan (walkon)

Don't disagree with that breakdown. If it happens like that, though, I'd imagine Bullock would look to transfer in search of minutes.

Reactions: higgins3
GRF, we are still undermanned. Better next season; really better in 2019-20. This year, we have several guys that are not B1G caliber no matter how well they are coached. That's what I mean about unreasonable expectations.
TL

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Unless you have access to watch these players more than I have I don't know how you can have any confidence in how good or not good (November 2017) any of these 4 are.

If you watch Johnsons senior year tape you'll see that he is a major project.

Obviously I don't know anything 100% and Shaq's injury issues could force him into action.

If you watch Johnsons senior year tape you'll see that he is a major project.

Obviously I don't know anything 100% and Shaq's injury issues could force him into action.

Is he a coordinated project that can be adequate defensively and on the glass?

So, overall, that'd be (with delta from last year):

30 - Sanders (same)
28 - Freeman (+1)
26 - Williams (same)
24 - Thiam (+6)
20 - Omoruyi (+8)

16 - Baker (new)
16 - Doucoure (new)
16 - Sa (+3)
12 - Mensah (new)
8 - Doorson (-1)
4 - Johnson (new)
<1 - Bullock, Dadika (walkon), Nathan (walkon)

Don't disagree with that breakdown. If it happens like that, though, I'd imagine Bullock would look to transfer in search of minutes.

If this is the case let's hope there is dramatic improvement or else that means initially Baker is a disappointment.

Based on what i saw last year Williams (and Freeman and Sanders) has to take the additional minutes from Nigel. The 2016-17 Thiam and Omoruyi can't see meaningful minutes if we want to win B1G games. they were freshman, but there has to be major improvement, Especially from Thaim.

If baker is the real deal on November 2017 I expect Thaim and Omoruyi to play a combined 15 or so minutes. again a caveat being major improvement

Shaq, Doucoure, Johnson, Sa, and Freeman are the only big men on this roster. You have to find 80 minutes from those five. There is no scenario in which Johnson does not play.

Also Omoruyi. Omoruyi is listed at 6-7 234 on sk.com right now, and Freeman is 6-7 227... can't really call one a big and not the other. There can also be some spot minutes from Nathan in a pinch, if there's foul trouble.

Doorson; 7-0, 275
Johnson; 6-10, 264
Nathan; 6-10, 230
Doucoure; 6-9, 243
Sa; 6-9, 235
Omoruyi; 6-7, 234
Freeman; 6-7, 227

I don't think have an issue finding 80 minutes from that group. Johnson will definitely get some minutes here and there, but remains to be seen how ready he is for more than giving the other guys a play or two off.

If this is the case let's hope there is dramatic improvement or else that means initially Baker is a disappointment.

Based on what i saw last year Williams (and Freeman and Sanders) has to take the additional minutes from Nigel. The 2016-17 Thiam and Omoruyi can't see meaningful minutes if we want to win B1G games. they were freshman, but there has to be major improvement, Especially from Thaim.

Baker will likely make the usual freshman mental mistakes that might limit his time (fouls, turnovers)... if he's getting 20+ minutes, I think it means we haven't seen much in the way of improvement from Thiam/Omoruyi from last year.

Thiam seemed to really step up his defense toward the end of last season, but he really needs to improve the confidence in his shot and put on some weight. Hopefully he's made progress in both areas.

Omoruyi also seemed to start finding his groove toward the end of last season, and he's apparently bulked up and has drawn notice from the coaches in practice (enough for Pike to single him out). So hopefully he's also made some progress.

I'd love to be in a situation where we're trying to find guys minutes.... because that means there won't be a significant dropoff when we have to sub, or when guys get in foul trouble.

Is he a coordinated project that can be adequate defensively and on the glass?

My opinion is that he is still getting comfortable in his very large shoes and needs time to get coordinated. A bit different than Doucoure who is athletic and coordinated but is raw from a basketball skill standpoint...

I hope i am wrong I just don't see an upside that makes either Issa or Eugene more than a valuable asset off the bench. Nothing wrong with that and every program needs it.

Penn State I think has a lot of pressure on Chambers. They have talent but we did beat them last season. I think we are improved and it should be a good game. I think Chambers is on the hot seat to make the NCAA this coming season.

I also think that Eugene will get some minutes as the power forward backup to Freeman.

Also Omoruyi. Omoruyi is listed at 6-7 234 on sk.com right now, and Freeman is 6-7 227... can't really call one a big and not the other. There can also be some spot minutes from Nathan in a pinch, if there's foul trouble.

Doorson; 7-0, 275
Johnson; 6-10, 264
Nathan; 6-10, 230
Doucoure; 6-9, 243
Sa; 6-9, 235
Omoruyi; 6-7, 234
Freeman; 6-7, 227

I don't think have an issue finding 80 minutes from that group. Johnson will definitely get some minutes here and there, but remains to be seen how ready he is for more than giving the other guys a play or two off.

All of this to me really points to us having to find 30 MPG for Williams as a guy that will rebound like a 4 who is playing a 2 or 3. The only true center on the roster is Doorson and he is a big question mark in both skill and health. A lineup with Freeman and Sa is very small.

Penn State I think has a lot of pressure on Chambers. They have talent but we did beat them last season. I think we are improved and it should be a good game. I think Chambers is on the hot seat to make the NCAA this coming season.

Open ended quesitons

1. Is he a good coach
2. Are his talented players coachable
3. How is the chemistry

From a pure talent standpoint they beat us at EVERY position (in some cases handily). Carr and Watkins are very good.

I think Illinois is very beatable this year for us just like we beat PSU @PSU last year.

Michigan State is going to be loaded with talent....and Izzo does his thing
Purdue bring back almost all pieces...and Painter does his thing
Maryland loses Trimble, but they have a ton...Turgeon does his thing
Minnesota and little Ricky return all but 1....little Ricky does his thing
Michigan loses Wilson Irvin and Walton, but still have talent...Beilien defintely does this thing
Northwestern, everyone including the turtle are back...Collins does his thing
Iowa loses Jok but they played all frosh and sophs..McCaffrey (dont like him)
Penn State brings everyone back...Chambers does his thing

That leaves us with 5
Wisconsin loses Hayes and Koening, but still have Happ....Gard is a question mark in my mind
Illinois brings in a great fresnhman class, but they are freshman
Indiana new coach and a ton of talent, but....
Ohio State I think the same
Nebraska can be had

with the exception of maybe Nebraska we will not have comparable talent to any of these teams. That doesn't mean we can't be better.

I just have a tough time seeing us out of the 11th thru 14th tier.
I hear you GRF, but eventually the RAC needs to become the RAC again. I know that we won't beat the Michigan States and Purdues of the world, but this year we play Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio State, etc. at home, and they may be better than us, but they aren't as good as the Louisville, Georgetown, Villanova, Syracuse, etc. teams we beat in the RAC with equal or less talent than the team we are putting on the court this year. The only way we will ever climb out of the Big Ten cellar is if we make our home court special, and this is not a fantasy it has happened in the past with multiple coaches. The only question is if it starts this year.

Best thing about basketball is it helps fullfull those who need instant gratification. Improvements are shown and are pretty clear whether they reflect on the win column or not.

Pikiell has us in great shape. We have great oportunities in basketball. Football will always be an uphill battle. Basketball i believe we can be VERY good with this infrastructure and commitment going forward.

All of this to me really points to us having to find 30 MPG for Williams as a guy that will rebound like a 4 who is playing a 2 or 3. The only true center on the roster is Doorson and he is a big question mark in both skill and health. A lineup with Freeman and Sa is very small.

So many teams run without a true center. Not a big deal to me. I think Sanders will have his minutes cut back to 25 or so.Souf cuts into them.No one is relying on Doorson for that much at all, if any.

So many interchangeable positions. I think the team makes it out of the basement. Too many players that have been working really hard.

Sanders,Baker, Williams,Freeman,Doucoure
Souf,Baker,Thiam,Freeman,Doucoure
Souf,Baker,Williams,Omoyuri,Johnson
Souf, Sanders, Williams,Sa, Nathan

Baker will see at least 15-20 minutes this year for his shooting, because after the midnight madness, it will be sorely needed.

Baker will likely make the usual freshman mental mistakes that might limit his time (fouls, turnovers)... if he's getting 20+ minutes, I think it means we haven't seen much in the way of improvement from Thiam/Omoruyi from last year.

Thiam seemed to really step up his defense toward the end of last season, but he really needs to improve the confidence in his shot and put on some weight. Hopefully he's made progress in both areas.

Omoruyi also seemed to start finding his groove toward the end of last season, and he's apparently bulked up and has drawn notice from the coaches in practice (enough for Pike to single him out). So hopefully he's also made some progress.

I'd love to be in a situation where we're trying to find guys minutes.... because that means there won't be a significant dropoff when we have to sub, or when guys get in foul trouble.

Like we all know, Baker is probably the best, if not second best shooter on the team right now. No question.

He will be on the court and has a great skillset. I have watched tape from his hs.

Omoyuri has taken a step and seems more comfortable around the basket. Thiam will be used for his defense, and for certain matchups. The most improved on the team is Omoyuri. The biggest newcomer is clearly Baker. Both will be very important for us.

As far as the forwards positions, there will be plenty of fouls to go around. The fact that the teams third string forward is Luke Nathan is impressive. He is a decent player.

Reactions: ruclass76
Give me the starting line up? I’ll go with Geo, Sanders, Thiam, Freeman and Doucoure.

I’m sure many will say Mike Williams and that could also be the case. I’m not sure Mike really cares as he will get Big minutes. If the above is correct.

Bench- Williams, Omuyuri, Johnson, Mensah, Sa, Shaq.

11 man rotation. Dadicka also gets minutes here and there.

Dadika should only get minutes, if its a blowout or an injury, otherwise he shouldn't be in rotation

Like we all know, Baker is probably the best, if not second best shooter on the team right now. No question.

He will be on the court and has a great skillset. I have watched tape from his hs.

Omoyuri has taken a step and seems more comfortable around the basket. Thiam will be used for his defense, and for certain matchups. The most improved on the team is Omoyuri. The biggest newcomer is clearly Baker. Both will be very important for us.

As far as the forwards positions, there will be plenty of fouls to go around. The fact that the teams third string forward is Luke Nathan is impressive. He is a decent player.

Don't disagree that he'll be on the court, and I think 16-20 is probably the range he'll fall into most games. If he can limit some of the silly fouls freshmen can commit by either being out of position, trying to do too much, or just underestimating the speed of the other team, that'd verge more toward 20. I don't see him averaging over 20 as a freshman - though I could very well be wrong.

I'm curious how Pike divides up the minutes on the wing outside of Thiam. Williams/Baker can play at that spot and give up a few inches, and Omoruyi can play there but he doesn't really have the offensive range for it. I'd imagine next year we'd see Peter Kiss there a bit, but he's not on the court this season.

We have some flexibility there depending on what we're trying to do, so it'll be interesting to see how Pike substitutes at the 3 for different teams/situations.

Think about what Williams is asked to do and not do.

He is asked to defend, rebound, not make mistakes, and knock down open 3 pointers.
He is no asked to create or make plays off the dribble.

With Sanders we don't need a 2 to do a lot on the offensive end.

If Baker can defend, not mistakes, knock down shots, and is decent in transition I see starter minutes.

Souf will be used
that would be bad.

The only way they get out of the basement is with improved shooting. After the 3pt contest,it doesn't seem like Sanders has improved much from that position.

I think Baker and Souf will both take a couple minutes from Sanders.

I see it as Sanders 26, Souf 10,Williams 28,Baker 20,Freeman 26,Omoyuri 14, Doucoure 15, Johnson 14, Sa 12. Roughly. It has a wide possibility of changing, but that's just my take.

Think about what Williams is asked to do and not do.

He is asked to defend, rebound, not make mistakes, and knock down open 3 pointers.
He is no asked to create or make plays off the dribble.

With Sanders we don't need a 2 to do a lot on the offensive end.

If Baker can defend, not mistakes, knock down shots, and is decent in transition I see starter minutes.

His game has improved from the off the dribble standpoint. A little. I see Thiam as the one whose minutes are cut to a good amount. What is he asked to do? Just defend at the moment. His role is too small to warrant more playing time.

My playing time rotation, come big ten time, barring injury or foul trouble in a given game

Sanders 29
Freeman 28
Williams 28
Baker 24
Doucoure 22
Thiam 20
Onamuryi 16
Sa 16
Johnson 10
Mensah 7

Not playing
Bullock
Doorson (injury...my hunch-no inside info)
Kiss (transfer...sitting out)

Dadika should only get minutes, if its a blowout or an injury, otherwise he shouldn't be in rotation
Like last year, Dadika will get minutes when Pike is dissatisfied with the effort he is getting from the regular players in any given game. It's less about Dadika getting minutes and more about sending a message.

Reactions: RUonBrain
My stab, which is a stab without ever seeing Johnson, mensah, and Baker....

Sanders 33 vs. 31.6
Mensah 9 vs. 0
Williams 31 vs. 27.3
Baker 24 vs. 0
Thaim 13 vs. 17.4
Eugene 15 vs. 14
Freeman 30 vs. 27.7
Doucore 21 vs. 0
Sa 18 vs. 10.1
Johnson 6 vs. 0

CJ 0 vs 22
Nigel 0 vs 25
Jonathan 0 vs 10
diallo 0 vs 8
shaq 0 vs 10

Omoruyi is going to play alot at the 4.

Said differently
Sanders (31) Mensah (9)
Williams (14) Baker (24) Sanders (2)
Eugene (10) Thaim (13) Williams (17)
Freeman (30) Eugene (5) Doucore (5)
Sa (18) Johnson (6) Doucore (16)

Not shocked to see closing out early B1G games
Sanders Baker Williams Eugene Freeman

Reactions: RUChoppin
I think Thiam's minutes will be cut, and Sa, Johnson, and Doucoure will have a balanced number of minutes given matchups.

I wonder what Sa does. I am very hopeful Mensah and Baker will help the team out.

At MidKnight Madness, someone threw a pass to Mensah at the half sideline, and it seemed like a strike of lightning that he was at the basket for a layup. Very quick, and competes in the top three on the team.

Why are people down on Thiam? One of the few guys that has potential hit from outside and he defends well.

Why are people down on Thiam? One of the few guys that has potential hit from outside and he defends well.

I don't like that at all.

There is a reason he has put a lot of time in the gym, and stays with Young during practices. I do not think he plays much at the 3, if time at all. He has the mindset of a four. I think he is used there this year.

Thiam shot .303 from three. His body is still not ready for major time at the 3. You still have to be a rebounding helper at that position.

There is a reason he has put a lot of time in the gym, and stays with Young during practices. I do not think he plays much at the 3, if time at all. He has the mindset of a four. I think he is used there this year.

Thiam shot .303 from three. His body is still not ready for major time at the 3. You still have to be a rebounding helper at that position.
Sorry I just don't see Omoruyi playing any meaningful minutes at the four. I don't believe he's 6'7". He's just not big enough to be a four in this league. All I see him on this team is a defensive stopper at the three and emergency time at the four (which will happen when Sa has to slide to Center because the freshmen are in foul trouble). He'll get say 10 minutes a game tops.

Reactions: mfgiguy
Sorry I just don't see Omoruyi playing any meaningful minutes at the four. I don't believe he's 6'7". He's just not big enough to be a four in this league. All I see him on this team is a defensive stopper at the three and emergency time at the four (which will happen when Sa has to slide to Center because the freshmen are in foul trouble). He'll get say 10 minutes a game tops.

He has worked on his frame a lot. Well see. You don't get praise from the coach when he thinks of you as a 10 minute player.

Reactions: PaKnight and MV9000
love the posted who said well be this years Minny. Those results, coupled with the new facilities. Sky is the limit baby... guess well be a bball school prior to a football. Im all for either!

Last year people were saying they didn't believe Freeman was 6-7, either. Seems Omoruyi is about Freeman's height, and slightly heavier. Both are under sized for a true PF in the Big Ten, but both will see time there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT