ADVERTISEMENT

Down but not deflated

IndianaKnight

Freshman
Dec 1, 2002
Sad to look back at how elated I/we were a month ago. I take some comfort in that we WERE fun to watch for much of the season, when the pre-season prediction was that we‘d likely lost too much to sniff the tournament this year. It‘s just a longer road than I thought. For part of the year we could beat anyone. I‘m hopeful that we‘ll be there again in 2-3 years tops.

I read this from Feb. 4th and weep:

“Turns out we CAN have nice things. In my long life of being an RU sports fan (OK, not a fanatic, but I do follow the real aficionados on this board) so often when we had a big exposure like this —[MSU at the Garden] we always seemed to lose. This victory—which ought to make us a lock [man, does that ever sting today] for the tournament—given the remaining schedule and the abilities of this coach and this team—will carry me through any future disappointment for a good while. I’ll be wearing my I LIKE PIKE shirt in Bloomington on Tuesday. It sure is good to go in there with this win. Whatever happens, it’s nice not to worry about our team getting outclassed anymore. We are [WERE!!] an extremely tough out!”

Garden was the high point of the season and also the beginning of the end...

Though PSU game is another great memory.

Reactions: NJTurnpike
And the team battled hard to win that game at MSG. They then took IU to the wire in Bloomington. They showed continued poise and fight in a tough environment at Illinois into the 2H. Then came that 19-0 punch that I feel they never recovered from. That 12 minute stretch of futility was a window into a lot of what we’d see for the next 6+ games.

Our offense has disappeared because other teams have made adjustments.

Simpson is the only point guard we have on the team.
He can draw the defense, kick out passes, Pull-up jumpers, and finish layups. - Cam, Caleb, and Paul are not point guards.

We dribble too much and our guards force balls down low into double teams that result in turnovers or bad shots from Omoruyi. A point guard should only pass in that situation if there is a safe kick-out pass for an open outside jumper. Don't put Omoruyi into an impossible position.

We need to pass more quickly to keep the defense moving and give our bigger guards a better chance to get into good shooting positions.

Last edited:
people celebrated the MSG win like it was some sort of Super Bowl
Agreed, there was so much angst leading up to it. It turned into a bigger game than it as.

People put way too much energy into
- OSU
- Categorization of a home game at MSG

That shit has been in the past for a month or more. Even Nebraska etc…the hangover effect is bad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT