ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be “that 3rd guy”? Is he possibly not in the program yet?

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
As we know, 3 solid starters/scorers at a minimum are needed to be successful and make a run.

Who is “that guy”?

- JWill? Potentially.
- Martini? At this point he is our 4. Fits the bill for 10+ a game.
- Portal Big? This is a priority.

We need a big who can score and rebound.

As we know, 3 solid starters/scorers at a minimum are needed to be successful and make a run.

Who is “that guy”?

- JWill? Potentially.
- Martini? At this point he is our 4. Fits the bill for 10+ a game.
- Portal Big? This is a priority.

We need a big who can score and rebound.
Martini scored 8 a game in 30 min in the Ivy League, but now we are expecting 10+ in the B1G?

Martini scored 8 a game in 30 min in the Ivy League, but now we are expecting 10+ in the B1G?
Kool-Aid view: he never played with guys as talented as Dylan and Ace drawing attention and getting him the rock. He was also playing out of position as a 5 last season instead of as a "face up 4", as Carino put it.

Negative view: he also never played game in/game out with B1G defenders on him.

I'd be happy with 8 per game from him with 2 3's and another bucket on average, and the occasional hot night of 4 3's.

Reactions: SBP and Shields2
that's it...thx.

8th leading scorer in college basketball...may not be a bad candidate for #3.
For me, besides a starting center, I would like another pure shooter. Harper, Ace, Acuff, JWill all seem to be more of scorers/scorers mentality than shooters. Martini is more a shooter. Would like another pure shooter to space the floor and keep defenses honest.

The staff must do a great job teaching and stressing rebounding.

Harper 30
Ace 30
Acuff 30
Jwill 30
Martini 20
Jamike 15

Total 155

Running out of minutes to give!
Yup and that’s assuming whoever our bigs are will only get the remaining 45 minutes between them. Acuff will be getting less than 30 minutes and Martini less than 20 IMO.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I’m not sure what he will average here. But, his scoring is probably linked to how many open looks he gets from 3. I think he will get more open looks here with guys like Harper, Bailey, and JWill on the team.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
He shot the ball much better than GG last year.

It’s not like GG did anything particularly better than him last season. I’m concerned about Martini’s D but I wouldn’t feel better with a play GG at the 4 instead. He was terrible on D all season.

Right, so tell me again how is he better than GG ?
He might have been better than last year’s Gavin but personally I doubt he’ll be better than this year’s. No way to tell, however. It’s a gamble I wish we didn’t have to take.

He shot the ball much better than GG last year.
Yes he did but mostly vs. Ivy League defenses. I think Gavin’s problems are mostly in his head. If someone can straighten that out, the upside is great. The ability and athleticism are clearly there, except for a surprisingly loose handle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT