ADVERTISEMENT

Dylan Harper Update

Dylan is ranked as high as he is for a reason.

When you consider that he isn’t a jump out of the gym athlete, it’s even more impressive that he’s ranked as high as he is. He has uncanny talent for finding space to get his shot off, changing speeds, court vision, physicality etc. He’s a serious baller.

1. I completely disagree with @Greene Rice FIG about the impact of Harper/Ace.

2. I do think people are putting a little too high of immediate results for 2024-2025 just because of Harper/Ace.

We literally have threads every year of people here mocking "blue bloods" and how they flame out in the tournament because they have all freshman. About how people here would rather have "experienced upper classmen instead of star freshman".

Now that Rutgers is getting these elite freshman - the tide has certainly turned pretty quick around here.
Obviously I think we would all agree HC Pike is better than HC Howard (I actualy don't know but one coaches here so he's obviously better)

People called Duke's season a failure with their 1st round draft picks.
People routinely mock HC Cal and Kentucky for not enough success despite all their 1st round picks.
This thread is only 3 months old.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...afted-in-the-first-round.262342/#post-6345270
Completely agree. Great take.

If we do have a magical final 4 run we need Mag and or Cliff to return and likely bring in an experienced veteran talented portal option or some current roster players to really break out

You don't make final 4 runs if you have 5 freshman playing big minutes even if they are good recruits. A couple stud freshman though combined with some veteran players I think can be a recipe for success though

Gavin should be a stud year 2. I think we will have a good handle on whether Simpson really makes a jump year 2 or if he will continue to struggle shooting. Maybe Wolf or Ogbole breaks out. Chol is a wildcard with a high ceiling. Davis could be an under the radar gem

Also in today's world there will almost certainly be transfers. Wonder how much money we will have for a veteran portal high end option, but joining Ace Dylan and Gavin should be an attractive option for someone who wants to win

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I think your 2nd point is an excuse and not true.

I do have confidence that Pike (and really the program) will get Dylan to expend more energy defensively.

SERIOUS QUESTION JUST FOR YOU.........

Knowing everything you know about next year's team........would we better off (assuming Dylan was transported to 2023-24) WINS AND LOSSES for 2023-24 with a completely healthy Mag or Harper?
Mag and Harper are such completely different players at different positions so comparing them makes little sense

Reactions: RUbbFannn
Completely agree. Great take.

If we do have a magical final 4 run we need Mag and or Cliff to return and likely bring in an experienced veteran talented portal option or some current roster players to really break out

You don't make final 4 runs if you have 5 freshman playing big minutes even if they are good recruits. A couple stud freshman though combined with some veteran players I think can be a recipe for success though

Gavin should be a stud year 2. I think we will have a good handle on whether Simpson really makes a jump year 2 or if he will continue to struggle shooting. Maybe Wolf or Ogbole breaks out. Chol is a wildcard with a high ceiling. Davis could be an under the radar gem

Also in today's world there will almost certainly be transfers. Wonder how much money we will have for a veteran portal high end option, but joining Ace Dylan and Gavin should be an attractive option for someone who wants to win

I'm assuming we'll likely have no transfers next year.
We are already over by 1 scholarship (4 incoming - 3 outgoing Fernandes/Williams, Hyatt).
Including Dylan, that puts us over by 2 scholarships.
Assuming Oskar leaves, still need 1 more departure just for all the freshman.
Perhaps Jeremiah Williams is "pushed" out before he ever gets on the court?

Any transfers would need someone else to leave: Mag, Clif, Woolf, Chol, Ogbole, Simpson, Davis, Gavin.
Maybe Gavin goes 1 and done and alleviates all our scholarship issues? Right, @MiloTalon13

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Don't get me wrong, Dylan is a great offensive talent, but I just watched the entire Camden game and he does not expend much energy on offense. When he wasn't shooting the ball, which he looked to do about 75% of the time he had it, he basically stood around. Way too often IMO, when shots went up, he just watched them. At the other end I would describe his defense as kind of lazy - rarely even bent his knees - looked bored on defense. Great one on one talent. Without ever admitting it, he'll drive Pike crazy.

Just like James Harden! He’ll fit perfect in the nba!

To be clear. Ace Bailey will be the most impactful freshman player in Rutgers history and I am including Sellers and James Bailey. Ace in my opinion should be the # 1 player in the class. Dylan should be just behind with his versatility. Greene you should have no concerns about any of your perceived notions that they cannot play defense as both can and will. But they also will score relentlessly , block shots and get up and down the court and hit 3’s. I say this without much hesitation , we are heading to the Final Four with that 2024 class and I am including Somerville’s contributions and I expect Mag back but Cliff to leave. Wolf and Somerville and Ogbole should be fine at center.
Plus we’ll have Gavin back for his sophomore year.

This is a very RutgersAl view of things...what is Savon Huggins up to these days?

Were any of my concerns about Paul Mulcahy wrong or invalid?
You are telling me , our squad with Gavin Mag, Derek and Jamichael returning , along with Wolf and Ogbole , a mixture of veterans with Gavin an elite shooter, combined with our Fab5 class including the top 2 players in the class( even if ranked2 and 3 ) and Somerville is not a roster capable of reaching the Final Four? Go ahead, tell me why not?
Paul went off the rails last year and did not ascend the way a senior should ascend . Unfortunate but this year’s team will be much more uptempo and enjoyable to watch and set the tone for next year.

You are telling me , our squad with Gavin Mag, Derek and Jamichael returning , along with Wolf and Ogbole , a mixture of veterans with Gavin an elite shooter, combined with our Fab5 class including the top 2 players in the class( even if ranked2 and 3 ) and Somerville is not a roster capable of reaching the Final Four? Go ahead, tell me why not?
Paul went off the rails last year and did not ascend the way a senior should ascend . Unfortunate but this year’s team will be much more uptempo and enjoyable to watch and set the tone for next year.
Last years team was capable (until Mag went down) of making it to the Final 4. The team you describe is certainly capable of making it the Final 4. Being capable of making a Final 4 is completely different than saying we are going to the Final 4.

For us to be a 4 seed or better 2024-25 there has to be a nucleus in place and Ace and Dylan are parts. It is extremely important that a point guard emerges next year. That along with team defense means everything!!!

I don’t see a path for us to play high level basketball (1-4 seed) for the entire season in 2024-25 without a point guard.

I hope one emerges in 2023-24

Reactions: MiloTalon13
For us to be a 4 seed or better 2024-25 there has to be a nucleus in place and Ace and Dylan are parts. It is extremely important that a point guard emerges next year. That along with team defense means everything!!!

I don’t see a path for us to play high level basketball (1-4 seed) for the entire season in 2024-25 without a point guard.

I hope one emerges in 2023-24
Bruh, Dylan is the point guard.

Last years team was capable (until Mag went down) of making it to the Final 4. The team you describe is certainly capable of making it the Final 4. Being capable of making a Final 4 is completely different than saying we are going to the Final 4.
We have never had the talent of Ace , Dylan and Gavin on the court at the same time in Rutgers history. I was there my freshman year with Sellers, Dabney, Jordan , Copeland and Bailey and they played fast , pressed full court and ran but there was no 3 pointer at that time so hard to translate to present , but that would be a similar comparison . There are other pieces with Derek, Jamichael Wolf Somerville and Mag to blend it all together and a very athletic team with shooters . Enough defense there to compliment the offense which will be very uptempo.

There is a good chance GG becomes our leading scorer next year, With him having one year under his belt in 24-25, and Ace being the NBA offensive talent that he already is, the offense WILL NOT revolve around Dylan. Does he really want that? No, he's already said he wants the offense to revolve around him. That, and the fact that he will be asked to defend has a%s off, is likely why he is still looking around. I don't believe NIL money has anything to do with it. We will have two great players in 24-25. Teams get to the final four with less. I wouldn't be opposed to getting an experienced 4 or 5* grad. transfer to play with GG and Ace. A lot of very talented players would want to come in and play with that group, and also defend at a high level. There is always a chance that too many cooks spoil the soup.

There is a good chance GG becomes our leading scorer next year, With him having one year under his belt in 24-25, and Ace being the NBA offensive talent that he already is, the offense WILL NOT revolve around Dylan. Does he really want that? No, he's already said he wants the offense to revolve around him. That, and the fact that he will be asked to defend has a%s off, is likely why he is still looking around. I don't believe NIL money has anything to do with it. We will have two great players in 24-25. Teams get to the final four with less. I wouldn't be opposed to getting an experienced 4 or 5* grad. transfer to play with GG and Ace. A lot of very talented players would want to come in and play with that group, and also defend at a high level. There is always a chance that too many cooks spoil the soup.
Dylan will have the ball in his hands and will be controlling the offense, both creating scoring opportunities for himself and setting up Ace, Gavin (if he comes back), and the rest of the team. Everything will run through Dylan.

Reactions: Chop21 and Scangg
We have never had the talent of Ace , Dylan and Gavin on the court at the same time in Rutgers history. I was there my freshman year with Sellers, Dabney, Jordan , Copeland and Bailey and they played fast , pressed full court and ran but there was no 3 pointer at that time so hard to translate to present , but that would be a similar comparison . There are other pieces with Derek, Jamichael Wolf Somerville and Mag to blend it all together and a very athletic team with shooters . Enough defense there to compliment the offense which will be very uptempo.
I like wins.

Preseason rankings?!?

Do you really think Year 1 Ace or Dylan has more of an impact than Cliff and Mag in a potential Year 5?

There is a HUGE difference between potential NBA talent and an upper classmen helping teams win games.

Expectations are way too high if people think Ace Bailey would be more important to Rutgers 2024-25 than Cliff
Yes.

Reactions: cm_13 and Chop21
The importance of all 4 players will be vital for 24.

I’m not expecting Cliff to be here in 24 and given the whole free agency status in college athletics - Mag has to be considered 50/50 for 24.

Ace and Dylan’s vital importance is on the offensive side and providing more notoriety for Rutgers while Cliff and Mag vital importance is on the defensive side of the ball

Thus I understand the position of both sides.

Let’s hope 🤞we have this problem for 24 !

Ace has played plenty with Dylan, he knows he will get a ton of easy looks playing with him. Ace won the MVP at the Stef Curry camp with Dylan running the point and getting him the ball in good spots.
I've never said Dylan isn't good. I am just not sure he is a good fit. There have been many teams that have had multiple great high school players and not gotten to the final four. As Ace once said, we're going to be great with or without him. All Pike talks about is playing defense and sharing the ball. Dylan doesn't do much of either. As I said above, he will never say it, but deep down inside Dylan will drive Pike Crazy.

Oh, and excuse me - He might wait to commit now until he sees the style of Rutgers play. Will his head even fit inside the RAC?

I've never said Dylan isn't good. I am just not sure he is a good fit. There have been many teams that have had multiple great high school players and not gotten to the final four. As Ace once said, we're going to be great with or without him. All Pike talks about is playing defense and sharing the ball. Dylan doesn't do much of either. As I said above, he will never say it, but deep down inside Dylan will drive Pike Crazy.

Oh, and excuse me - He might wait to commit now until he sees the style of Rutgers play. Will his head even fit inside the RAC?
Don’t believe everything you read, he doesn’t need to see our offense, it will be completely different with him and Ace, he knows that, and he will pretty much be dictating what happens on when Rutgers is on offense.

This type or argument makes absolutely zero sense. If he's worried about too much talent around him, he's not turning down Rutgers to go to schools with even more top end players like Duke or Kansas

If this was actually a concern (it's not), it would be good for Rutgers, not bad

It's not even worth talking about roster construction for a future season anymore. Things will be changing all the time. Money talks.
Sad, but true. College rosters are a year-by-year thing now. Pay up!

Reactions: Rhuarc
That scares me if that is the case. Yes I only saw 1 HS game but he doesn’t seem like the type of player you want to see facilitating
He has racked up lots of assists in both High School and AAU. Given that our coaches flew to Europe to show their support for him, I am pretty confident they are comfortable letting him run the offense.

He has racked up lots of assists in both High School and AAU. Given that our coaches flew to Europe to show their support for him, I am pretty confident they are comfortable letting him run the offense.
NJ.com has a spotty record of non scoring numbers for Don Bosco. I believe teams are the ones that report. Maybe you are privy to numbers that aren’t reported.

This isn’t like GSB reporting every stat for every possession and maybe being player friendly.

Don’t believe everything you read, he doesn’t need to see our offense, it will be completely different with him and Ace, he knows that, and he will pretty much be dictating what happens on when Rutgers is on offense.
I’d like to see what that looks like.

Are we going to run offensive sets?

Is he going to be the guy bringing the ball up?

Does he have a good enough handle?

We are in a conference with very good coaches. You can’t just wing it and other teams make you pay for any deficiencies

Harper May end up being a stud here and average 18+ PPG. I think it is in the confines of an offense and the offense works for him and things are facilitated by a point guard and I doubt it is Harper.

Remember their is Ace and Gavin

• Haha
Reactions: njxchange
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT