ADVERTISEMENT

Easton vs Phillipsburg football game canceled

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
After 114 years, the idiots in charge have decided to cancel this long standing rivalry. Ignoring the fact that most HS in NJ have been playing football outside and no one has died and very few of the thousands playing have even gotten sick. If they are worried about crowds, limit the game to family only. This game is historic and something these kids look forward to playing in from the time they are little. Such a shame

Couldn't the players and coaches have agreed to either quarantine for 14 days or get tested after the game and their return home?

"Due to the interconnected nature of the region and mode of transport between New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Delaware, a 14-day quarantine is not reasonable in all instances. Non-essential travel to and from these states, however, is highly discouraged at this time."

"Do I have to quarantine after I travel out of state?
Completing a 14-day quarantine after traveling outside of Pennsylvania is required if an individual does not have proof of a negative test result. As case numbers increase nationwide, persons traveling to Pennsylvania or returning to Pennsylvania after travelling out of state risk bringing COVID-19 into the state and potentially infecting others. Individuals should stay in their quarantine location for the full 14 days and avoid physically interacting with anyone, including those in their household. If individuals do not want to quarantine, they can be tested in the 72 hours prior to entering Pennsylvania; if they have a negative test result, they will not have to quarantine. Additionally, quarantine is not required for individuals who travel routinely for work or other critical purposes, such as medical appointments or to comply with a court order such as custody exchanges."

I am betting Easton initiated the cancellation. They are 3-4 and struggling while Phillipsburg is 6-1. Both teams are playing football, there is obviously no health issues involved, strictly politics.

Guessing wrong. While it sucks for those kids , there are way more real problems in the world.
But if the reason is interstate travel that is dumb

So because there are other problems in the world they shouldn't play football? Using that logic we should all just hide in our basements the rest of our lives.

I am betting Easton initiated the cancellation. They are 3-4 and struggling while Phillipsburg is 6-1. Both teams are playing football, there is obviously no health issues involved, strictly politics.

I would find that hard to believe. You would be surprised how big this game is to the players and the towns. Records mean nothing in rivalry games, kids want to play them. This is like Army Navy to them.

I am in the Easton School District and have a daughter at the high school. So far this school year, Easton High has only had 6 positive cases in total. They have done what I consider to be a fantastic job of controling it in the building.

Easton's record is not good, but they have played well. I think their league is exceptional this year. They've lost twice to Bethlehem Freedom, who is pretty good. Not that it matters too much, but their stadium is being rebuilt right now, so all games this year are road games.

Also, Easton has a game tomorrow, so take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: vkj91 and goru1869
No the stupid take is the guy who thought he should start a thread about a meaningless HS game during a pandemic.
This is probably the most ignorant statement ever posted on this board, and that is saying a lot. This is so ignorant on so many levels that is just leaves one speechless. If this was sarcasm or meant as a joke, I have to admit the poster got me, but otherwise . . .

This is probably the most ignorant statement ever posted on this board, and that is saying a lot. This is so ignorant on so many levels that is just leaves one speechless. If this was sarcasm or meant as a joke, I have to admit the poster got me, but otherwise . . .
Too many people like him could care less the toll this virus is having on kids today, its sickening.

Why. Throughout human history, During periods of disease and war human beings had to make sacrifices. It’s unfortunate and at times unfair. But that is life. I feel bad for the kids whose game is cancelled but come on folks. We’re in a middle of a second wave. A HS football game not being played isn’t a serious concern.

Reactions: Kbee3
Why. Throughout human history, During periods of disease and war human beings had to make sacrifices. It’s unfortunate and at times unfair. But that is life. I feel bad for the kids whose game is cancelled but come on folks. We’re in a middle of a second wave. A HS football game not being played isn’t a serious concern.
No you don't.

And the two towns are literally a 9 iron, maybe an 8, across the Delaware river from each other. This whole interstate travel issue is absurd.
Game was moved to P'burg's field, which is about a 1 mile walk from the Delaware.

A second wave of positives that effects pretty much everyone not a single iota, especially high school kids. Man you people are wild.

only 2500 people total nationwide even above the age of 65 died of this without s pre-existing condition!

Reactions: goru1869
Well these days that's a driver.
I believe there was/is un unofficial traditon that many P'burg fans walked to the game which is normally played at Lafayette College in Easton. I'm embrrassed to say I've lived here for 30 years and never attended.

Reactions: vkj91
And the two towns are literally a 9 iron, maybe an 8, across the Delaware river from each other. This whole interstate travel issue is absurd.
The "interstate travel issue" is especially absurd because it is so inconsistent. For example, the Easton FB team can't travel to NJ to play one football game outside in the open air, but their parents are still driving M-F to go to their NJ jobs where they spend 8-9 hours inside.

The "interstate travel issue" is especially absurd because it is so inconsistent. For example, the Easton FB team can't travel to NJ to play one football game outside in the open air, but their parents are still driving M-F to go to their NJ jobs where they spend 8-9 hours inside.

And that's the politics of this. Murphey allows crowds of 500 before the election and 1 week after drops it to 100, oops, 150. This after opening the beaches for Memorial Day.

Reactions: rurichdog and vkj91
Not sure of PA's rules, but think when NJ opted to let HS play football the initial conditions were to be in-state only. In a general sense, I would think this rule is to make sure that teams aren't traveling from out of state from a far distance to come play football and vice-versa. Unfortunately, this stuff gets caught up in the rule as not its intention. You would think there would be some sort of appeal process for something like this or that the appeal is up to the locality if it's within some sort of proximity of 25 miles or something.

Reactions: RU-05
I don't think the cancellation of this game is all that big of a deal. Does it stink? Sure, but you can't call the lefties a bunch of snow flakes and then act like cancelling a football game is going to have a massive effect on the psyche of these kids.

On the other hand, the overall trend of cancelling things that, for all we have heard, are relatively low risk, is troublesome, and as we see, draws the ire of those that are already frustrated by the restrictions that have come along with Covid. This is a spot where I'd like to see some flexibility.

Invite Bon Jovi to the game and Murph the Surf will allow the game and even attend to suck up to Bon Jovi.

Used to patrol out there. Key City Diner was the stop for 1/2 price meals.

Stand at the tolls on the Bridge and arrest people bringing in drugs and untaxed ciggs.

My Assistant Coach at Syracuse was a grad/player at P-burg.

And that's the politics of this. Murphey allows crowds of 500 before the election and 1 week after drops it to 100, oops, 150. This after opening the beaches for Memorial Day.
I don't think that is politics as much as reacting to the rising cases, which every scientist predicted would happen around this time. Not that you needed to be a scientist to make that prediction.

1,600,000 + tests per day is the 'new' normal for testing nationally in USA

Nah, can't be. No one could be that stupid to say that. As we all know the towns are a simple river crossing and less than 10 minutes apart.
obviously, but we all are wise enough to acknowledge that many people likely come from outside of Easton/Pburg. I'm from out of state(s) and have been to every game since 2005 lol.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I don't think the cancellation of this game is all that big of a deal. Does it stink? Sure, but you can't call the lefties a bunch of snow flakes and then act like cancelling a football game is going to have a massive effect on the psyche of these kids.

On the other hand, the overall trend of cancelling things that, for all we have heard, are relatively low risk, is troublesome, and as we see, draws the ire of those that are already frustrated by the restrictions that have come along with Covid. This is a spot where I'd like to see some flexibility.

For most people on this board its not a big deal, I just know how big a deal it is to those kids and the towns, so yea it stinks. I have no skin in the game, but love traditions like this. If Army/Navy game can be played why not a HS football game especially considering they have already been playing games all year.

Reactions: goru1869
A second wave of positives that effects pretty much everyone not a single iota, especially high school kids. Man you people are wild.

only 2500 people total nationwide even above the age of 65 died of this without s pre-existing condition!

You applied multiple criteria in an effort to diminish the apparent impact.

The real impact is 250K dead so far and heavy strains on hospitals across the country.

Reactions: Phi_1055 and Kbee3
I don't think that is politics as much as reacting to the rising cases, which every scientist predicted would happen around this time. Not that you needed to be a scientist to make that prediction.

Well, looking at the decision in light opening up beaches in May with a whole lot more than people per sq. ft. than 500 in a stadium while keeping barber shops that take your temperature before they allow you in closed for an extra month leads me to believe differently. Especially since cases began to rise in October, BEFORE the election.

For most people on this board its not a big deal, I just know how big a deal it is to those kids and the towns, so yea it stinks. I have no skin in the game, but love traditions like this. If Army/Navy game can be played why not a HS football game especially considering they have already been playing games all year.
Well I think a couple reasons.

1)Army Navy is one game vs numerous youth games similar to Easton vs Phillipsburg. Easton Phillipsburg does look like a unique situation given their proximity, but if you allow this, then where do you draw the line?

2)Army Navy is a significantly larger game in the grand scheme. Much like college football in general there are greater pressures to keep these games. In reply to my question above, I guess college sports is where they drew the line.

Reactions: Plum Street
Well, looking at the decision in light opening up beaches in May with a whole lot more than people per sq. ft. than 500 in a stadium while keeping barber shops that take your temperature before they allow you in closed for an extra month leads me to believe differently. Especially since cases began to rise in October, BEFORE the election.
So you would have preferred if Murphy tightened restrictions in October? Or kept the beaches closed all summer?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT